Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+20
danfran
Superman55
Seaver
GratefulJet
soj
DonMaynard
Old#15
The Wicker Man
NCgreen12
HYATT™
cysporsche
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
football51
Sarge
lnap23
SackExchange
skop
LIJETFAN
hobson54
24 posters

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 10 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by LIJETFAN Fri 26 Dec 2014 - 16:46

I would be fine with Cooper as the pick. Of the receivers mentioned, Fitzgerald is too slow at this point in his career, and I always thought he was very overrated. He caught a lot of balls when Kurt Warner was throwing to him, but without Warner he's been average if that.

Maclin will get franchised if he doesn't resign. He's a very good player. Crabtree might be on the block. But he is slow too and a diva. He's had a terrible season this year. Torrey Smith is a #3 receiver. He is a deep threat, and my recollection is that he's a good guy too. He would be a nice pickup for reasonable money. Andre Johnson would have to reinvent his career at this point because he is so broken down. Great player once upon a time, but his career is winding down.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 10 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by Superman55 Fri 26 Dec 2014 - 21:09

From Titans online, ESPN Insider, and I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: Mettenberger has excelled in the locker room and classroom, and competition will be brought in, but the Titans have no desire to use a top 3 pick on QB.

In the last 6 years, the Titans have used the #3 pick on Vince Young and #8 pick on Locker and feel the main reason they are where they are is these two wasted high picks.

The Titans also realize neither pick, Mariota or Winston can do anything Wisenhunt wants his offense to do.

Wisenhunt wants a pure pocket passer and most believe the Titans want to move down the draft board, acquire picks, and add talent across the board.

Anyone who wants Mariota, wants the Titans to land the top pick,IMO, but don't expect Wisenhunt to be excited if the Titans force Winston or Mariota on what he's trying to do in Tennessee.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sat 27 Dec 2014 - 11:05

Superman55 wrote:From Titans online, ESPN Insider, and I'll say it until I'm blue in the face: Mettenberger has excelled in the locker room and classroom, and competition will be brought in, but the Titans have no desire to use a top 3 pick on QB.

In the last 6 years, the Titans have used the #3 pick on Vince Young and #8 pick on Locker and feel the main reason they are where they are is these two wasted high picks.

The Titans also realize neither pick, Mariota or Winston can do anything Wisenhunt wants his offense to do.

Wisenhunt wants a pure pocket passer and most believe the Titans want to move down the draft board, acquire picks, and add talent across the board.

Anyone who wants Mariota, wants the Titans to land the top pick,IMO, but don't expect Wisenhunt to be excited if the Titans force Winston or Mariota on what he's trying to do in Tennessee.

I agree that it is very possible the Titans will go in another direction than QB with their top pick. Cooper could make a lot of sense for them given the lack of weapons Mettenberger has at WR. If we end up with the 3rd-4th pick, which is very possible, there's a strong likelihood that one of the the two QBs will be there. If Jameis has a strong playoffs, I could see him moving past Mariota on some teams' boards, and if Tampa Bay sees it that way, Mariota would fall to us.

Whoever we draft for QB, I still want a good veteran QB to compete with Geno (a competition that veteran QB had better win) to be the 2015 starter, with the rookie grabbing at least a full season's worth of bench.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sat 27 Dec 2014 - 11:11

GratefulJet wrote:

Whoever we draft for QB, I still want a good veteran QB to compete with Geno (a competition that veteran QB had better win) to be the 2015 starter, with the rookie grabbing at least a full season's worth of bench.

this is NY. there's no way this fan base, along with the media, will give a rookie, top 4 pick, a full year to sit on the bench and watch and learn.

now i'm not saying this is right, but this fan base doesn't have the patience to let a young QB develop. we will have fans screaming [insert new GM's name] should be fired because his 1st draft pick can't get on the field and beat out [insert mediocre free agent QB] and geno!#!#!
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sat 27 Dec 2014 - 11:17

hobson54 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:

this is NY.  there's no way this fan base, along with the media, will give a rookie, top 4 pick, a full year to sit on the bench and watch and learn.

now i'm not saying this is right, but this fan base doesn't have the patience to let a young QB develop.  we will have fans screaming [insert new GM's name] should be fired because his 1st draft pick can't get on the field and beat out [insert mediocre free agent QB] and geno!#!#!

I'm not sure that's the case necessarily. It would depend on who the veteran QB is and how well he is playing, of course, and how much leeway the fans give the new HC--an unproven college guy will probably have less credibility than a big name. I think even the lunatic fringe understands that a rookie QB can be thrust into a starting role to his detriment, and our GM or HC can easily point to Sanchez and Smith as textbook examples of what arrested QB development looks like due to the "too much too soon" syndrome.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 27 Dec 2014 - 17:00

hobson54 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:

this is NY.  there's no way this fan base, along with the media, will give a rookie, top 4 pick, a full year to sit on the bench and watch and learn.

now i'm not saying this is right, but this fan base doesn't have the patience to let a young QB develop.  we will have fans screaming [insert new GM's name] should be fired because his 1st draft pick can't get on the field and beat out [insert mediocre free agent QB] and geno!#!#!

My thinking is any owner who lets the fans or media effect his decisions on what is in the best interest of the team is a bad owner. It is a shame you are correct on how things are here. We have a bad owner IMO
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 27 Dec 2014 - 17:48

NickSINYC wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:

My thinking is any owner who lets the fans or media effect his decisions on what is in the best interest of the team is a bad owner. It is a shame you are correct on how things are here. We have a bad owner IMO

from Rich Cimini's espnnewyork.com chat today concerning fan influence on Idzik decision.

Paul Bruzzese @Paulie_Bruz

@RichCimini If it wasn't for the Idzik campaign do you believe Woody would have stuck with Idzik longer? #JetsMail

@RichCimini: This is a fascinating question, and I'm not sure we'll ever get an accurate answer. Assuming that John Idzik is a goner, I do believe that, yes, the public outcry against him was a small factor in Woody Johnson's decision. Let's not forget football is a business, and every team wants to keep its customers happy. Johnson listens to his customers, maybe more than he should, and he knows the fan base is disgruntled. Idzik had a bad year, but a lot of general managers have bad years and survive. What made Idzik different? I think his infamous, mid-season news conference was the beginning of the end. That started the groundswell, and it became impossible for Johnson to ignore. The bottom line is, he's an 11-20 GM and the team is three games worse than the one he inherited.

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 0:06

NickSINYC wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:

I agree with both of you.

Woody should not let the rabid fans dictate his moves. Is that what is happening with Idzik? Not sure. But it is a customer-based business. When you have the extremists buying billboards and airplane advertising, it's tough to ignore. Woody is in a bad spot. If he listens to the extremists, he's reacting to their lunacy. If he ignores them, he's tone-deaf. Ultimately, I'd rather he exercise his own views than let the fans dictate personnel decisions, either in the front office or on the field.

And no way does this fan base have the patience to allow Idzik's replacement, or Rex's, or Marty's, or Geno's, to develop. This team will have to go veteran at QB, spend to the cap, and win now, or there will be more billboards and planes. It may even precipitate dealing picks for veteran players.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 28 Dec 2014 - 7:24

Whose plan was it to put on a complete sham of a competition between Geno and Vick this pre-season?

Whose decision was it to bring Vick in as the veteran QB in the first place?

Whose plan was it to draft Geno, and then set it up so that he had a chance to start as a rookie?

Whose plan was it to re-insert Sanchez in the 4th quarter of a meaningless pre-season game?

Whose plan was it to pass over any number of QB prospects in the 2014 draft and instead throw a 6th pick away on Tahj Boyd, who nobody thought had the skill set to play QB in the NFL (and apparently neither did we as we cut him at the end of camp)?

Whose plan was it to pump up Geno in the press after practice all through training camp in 2014, only to have him exposed once the games started to matter.

I guess the rabid, lunatic fans made all those decisions. Couldn't have been the OC/HC/GM brain trust who screwed that one up. scratch
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 13:30

bringing back Idzik was going to affect his ability to sell tickets.........that's why he is gone.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 19:16

GratefulJet wrote:Whose plan was it to put on a complete sham of a competition between Geno and Vick this pre-season?

Whose plan was it to draft Geno, and then set it up so that he had a chance to start as a rookie?

Whose plan was it to re-insert Sanchez in the 4th quarter of a meaningless pre-season game?  

Whose plan was it to pass over any number of QB prospects in the 2014 draft and instead throw a 6th pick away on Tahj Boyd, who nobody thought had the skill set to play QB in the NFL (and apparently neither did we as we cut him at the end of camp)?

Whose plan was it to pump up Geno in the press after practice all through training camp in 2014, only to have him exposed once the games started to matter.

I guess the rabid, lunatic fans made all those decisions.  Couldn't have been the OC/HC/GM brain trust who screwed that one up.  scratch

I think it's very easy to use hindsight in regards to Vick and Geno. Geno finished the season strong after 2013, and gave most fans some optimism about getting better. And the Vick signing was considered a good signing as an insurance policy by most pundits, despite the dog fighting nonsense. I know I wasn't alone in feeling our QB situation looked somewhat promising heading into 2014.

So I'm not going to blame Rex, Woody, Idzik or anyone else for that. It's not like the options at QB were plentiful heading into the draft (2013) or in FA either. It's easy for fans and media to say "what a disaster" when the options were so limited to begin with.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 19:30

SackExchange wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:

Woody should not let the rabid fans dictate his moves. Is that what is happening with Idzik? Not sure. But it is a customer-based business. When you have the extremists buying billboards and airplane advertising, it's tough to ignore. Woody is in a bad spot. If he listens to the extremists, he's reacting to their lunacy. If he ignores them, he's tone-deaf. Ultimately, I'd rather he exercise his own views than let the fans dictate personnel decisions, either in the front office or on the field.

And no way does this fan base have the patience to allow Idzik's replacement, or Rex's, or Marty's, or Geno's, to develop. This team will have to go veteran at QB, spend to the cap, and win now, or there will be more billboards and planes. It may even precipitate dealing picks for veteran players.

Sad, but true.

Woody made a great statement yesterday regarding the fans. He said "I don't listen to that loud segment of the fan base, because that part of the fan base doesn't represent the majority of our fans". He was obviously referring to the nut jobs and their banners and billboards. And he was dead on about that. The extremists are blowhards, plain and simple.

It's too bad a guy like Ian O'Connor cannot comprehend that. His column on Woody Johnson yesterday was disgusting. His hatred for the man is palpable.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 30 Dec 2014 - 19:42

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:

Sad, but true.

Woody made a great statement yesterday regarding the fans. He said "I don't listen to that loud segment of the fan base, because that part of the fan base doesn't represent the majority of our fans".  He was obviously referring to the nut jobs and their banners and billboards. And he was dead on about that. The extremists are blowhards, plain and simple.

It's too bad a guy like Ian O'Connor cannot comprehend that. His column on Woody Johnson yesterday was disgusting. His hatred for the man is palpable.

I read that article too. You know it's slanted/agenda driven when Cimini gives his views and credits Johnson for owning up to mistakes and leaning on quality people to help fix things. Does anyone notice that when the owners of the Seahawks and Falcons hire Korn Ferry, it's not insulted in the press? When a "football man" like Jerry Richardson or the Chicago Bears ownership hires Ernie Acorsi as a consultant, it's praised because they're trying to do the right thing for their franchises? I wonder how much O'Connor contributed to the cause of the billboard nuts....... $10....$20?
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 11:29

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:Whose plan was it to put on a complete sham of a competition between Geno and Vick this pre-season?

I guess the rabid, lunatic fans made all those decisions.  Couldn't have been the OC/HC/GM brain trust who screwed that one up.  scratch

I think it's very easy to use hindsight in regards to Vick and Geno. Geno finished the season strong after 2013, and gave most fans some optimism about getting better. And the Vick signing was considered a good signing as an insurance policy by most pundits, despite the dog fighting nonsense. I know I wasn't alone in feeling our QB situation looked somewhat promising heading into 2014.

So I'm not going to blame Rex, Woody, Idzik or anyone else for that. It's not like the options at QB were plentiful heading into the draft (2013) or in FA either. It's easy for fans and media to say "what a disaster" when the options were so limited to begin with.

I'm going to disagree on Vick. I found it foolish to bring in ANOTHER turnover prone QB to backup turnover prone Geno........I felt they should've gone after a game manager type to better compliment the running game/defense. Not only turnovers, but Vick has been a sack machine.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 13:56

Bo Wallace can now officially be scratched off any draft lists.........showing his ass today.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 14:16

Seaver wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

I'm going to disagree on Vick.  I found it foolish to bring in ANOTHER turnover prone QB  to backup turnover prone Geno........I felt they should've gone after a game manager type to better compliment the running game/defense.  Not only turnovers, but Vick has been a sack machine.  
    I agree about Vick. His addition was awful, especially if the intent was for him to help teach Geno.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 15:21

SackExchange wrote:
    Seaver wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

I'm going to disagree on Vick.  I found it foolish to bring in ANOTHER turnover prone QB  to backup turnover prone Geno........I felt they should've gone after a game manager type to better compliment the running game/defense.  Not only turnovers, but Vick has been a sack machine.  
    I agree about Vick. His addition was awful, especially if the intent was for him to help teach Geno.

the only example I saw Vick provide is it's ok to be reckless.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 15:27

Vick got away with bad decisions and turnovers because he has a cannon of an arm and the fastest legs the position has seen. His physical abilities got him out of a lot of messes. But that's not something you can teach. 

A veteran pocket passer, a guy who knows how to go through progressions, who can make the right reads and protect the football, and only run when it's necessary, should have been brought in to groom Geno. Not a guy who turns it over a lot, tucks way too early, and gets out of trouble with his physical abilities.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 15:25

NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 21:07

I'll be the 1st and hopefully it comes to fruition.  If Marrone takes over, i'd say he will work closely with the new GM to trade for his QB at Syracuse Ryan Nassib.  The guy has an Aaron Rodgers arm and can scramble if he needs to.

In saying so, i know many will say "Why didn't he draft him at Buffalo in '13 when he instead selected EJ Manuel.  I just feel Marrone wanted to get an impact player that EJ showed in his senior year just to possibly groom him to be his franchise QB.

Just thinking out loud, quite possibly Doug thought Nassib needed to get his experience elsewhere in order to grow into the next level QB.  IMHO, why not get coached up by a legendary coach in Tom Coughlin & backup 2 time Superbowl MVP Eli Manning. I'am sure Marrone would be willing to make a block buster move to get a stud like Nassib.

The question is, what do we give up.  If Marrone feels Nassib can be a franchise QB, i wouldn't be surprised if he gave up a 2nd rounder in this years draft for him.  
    Also keep in mind Ron Wolf is at the facility to as a counselor.  He would be a great person to talk to in this situation given he was chastised in Green Bay for trading a 1st rounder for a kid named Brett Fvare who was selected in the 2nd round the year prior by the Falcons.

History tends to repeat itself fellas.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 21:18

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:I'll be the 1st and hopefully it comes to fruition.  If Marrone takes over, i'd say he will work closely with the new GM to trade for his QB at Syracuse Ryan Nassib.  The guy has an Aaron Rodgers arm and can scramble if he needs to.

In saying so, i know many will say "Why didn't he draft him at Buffalo in '13 when he instead selected EJ Manuel.  I just feel Marrone wanted to get an impact player that EJ showed in his senior year just to possibly groom him to be his franchise QB.

Just thinking out loud, quite possibly Doug thought Nassib needed to get his experience elsewhere in order to grow into the next level QB.  IMHO, why not get coached up by a legendary coach in Tom Coughlin & backup 2 time Superbowl MVP Eli Manning. I'am sure Marrone would be willing to make a block buster move to get a stud like Nassib.

The question is, what do we give up.  If Marrone feels Nassib can be a franchise QB, i wouldn't be surprised if he gave up a 2nd rounder in this years draft for him.  
    Also keep in mind Ron Wolf is at the facility to as a counselor.  He would be a great person to talk to in this situation given he was chastised in Green Bay for trading a 1st rounder for a kid named Brett Fvare who was selected in the 2nd round the year prior by the Falcons.

History tends to repeat itself fellas.

To be honest I was never high on him at draft time and wanted no part of the Jets drafting him. I am a big proponent of Marrone so if he does get hired and brings Nassib here I will be on board with it. He knows Nassib better than most anyone else so lets see what happens.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 21:39

I'm with you Nick. Though Syracuse beat WVu in their bowl game, Syracuse's run game beat WVU, Geno far out performed Nassib on that snowy bad weather game.

Nassib was horrible at the senior bowl, doesn't have great arm strength, and didn't overwhelm me as a prospect either; however, if Marroe wanted him to drive his offense because he feels he's the best fit for his system, I'm 100% on board.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 22:40

Superman55 wrote:I'm with you Nick.  Though Syracuse beat WVu in their bowl game, Syracuse's run game beat WVU, Geno far out performed Nassib on that snowy bad weather game.

Nassib was horrible at the senior bowl, doesn't have great arm strength, and didn't overwhelm me as a prospect either; however, if Marroe wanted him to drive his offense because he feels he's the best fit for his system, I'm 100% on board.

Nassib has a much stronger arm and faster release than Geno by far.  The Game between Cuse & WVU in the snow, Nassib had more control of the match much more than how Geno Smith's weakness was exploited.

Nassib ran a pro style offense as opposed to the Spread that is really being flushed down the toilet in the NFL as Dfenses have caught up to it already. Plus, he shouldnt be judged sqaurley on one game at the senior bowl. Its his body of work along with Marrone that brought Syracuse back from Oblivion.

My argument is this: If a top notch organization like the New York Giants feel Nassib can be the heir apparent to a two time superbowl champion, then to me he is worthy to take a chance if marrone wants to pulla trade for him.

Here's the full game:

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 7:34

Thanks for the link, Dan. I watched the game, and conditions were pretty bad. A number of Nassib's incompletions were well-thrown balls that were dropped, and there were a number of defensive penalties on throws which kept the drives going but didn't help his stats. On balance, RN was the better QB on the field vs Geno, but it's hard to get a good feel for him based on this game, given the weather and field conditions. I liked the two Syracuse backs, especially Jerome Smith, who went to Falcons as a UDFA. Big north-south back who breaks arm tackles and has enough speed to gash the secondary on occasion.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 9:52

GratefulJet wrote:Thanks for the link, Dan. I watched the game, and conditions were pretty bad. A number of Nassib's incompletions were well-thrown balls that were dropped, and there were a number of defensive penalties on throws which kept the drives going but didn't help his stats. On balance, RN was the better QB on the field vs Geno, but it's hard to get a good feel for him based on this game, given the weather and field conditions. I liked the two Syracuse backs, especially Jerome Smith, who went to Falcons as a UDFA. Big north-south back who breaks arm tackles and has enough speed to gash the secondary on occasion.

Absolutley, i would never judge a QB or any other position for that matter on one game. I was just pointing out the facts on what was being held against him within that game.

Though i watched many of his film tape and i'am shocked he wasn't selected higher. The guy has moxy and hangs in the pocket to deliver an accurate fast ball.  He is a bit of a fearless gun slinger but with the right coaching, he can be an excellent starter.

I just feel Marrone wanted this kid to blossom beyond just one system at Syracuse. Doug is very good friends with Tom Coughlin. I'am sure Tom utilized every word that Marrone spoke to him about in order to properly scout him.  I honestly think watching Nassib in the preseason that he is ready for the next challenge. If Marrone wants him, he'll work hard with his new GM to get him.

Heres a game vs Louisville.  Not his best game, but many can tell Nassib can be "The guy" at the helm for a pro NFL team:

Last edited by NYJETSDAN16 on Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 11:34; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024 - 10:21