Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+20
danfran
Superman55
Seaver
GratefulJet
soj
DonMaynard
Old#15
The Wicker Man
NCgreen12
HYATT™
cysporsche
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
football51
Sarge
lnap23
SackExchange
skop
LIJETFAN
hobson54
24 posters

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 18 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by Seaver Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 11:08

Sarge wrote:Mariotta will be gone by #6 in all likelihood, so it's something of a moot discussion.  BUT, if he's there and the Jets like him, no way we trade down.  I guess it's POSSIBLE he drops to 6 and the Jets don't want him, but both of those things happening seems extremely unlikely

actually I think it makes more sense that IF Mariota drops to 6.....Jets may pass. I make that assumption on Mariota dropping in value. IF he is that good, he shouldn't last until 6. If he slides and they get a legit offer, I make the trade.

The key will be how far apart the scouts ultimately grade Winston vs Mariota. If the gap on the field is substantial, that is too big a red flag to ignore considering how many questions there are pertaining to Mariota converting to a conventional offense.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 18 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by NickSINYC Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 13:45

Superman55 wrote:
    Old#15 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:Foles is a starting QB in this league. Like any QB though, he needs decent-good protection and a couple of WR's. I believe Foles would give the Jets a better chance of getting into the playoffs than Geno Smith. And for the next 2-3 rebuilding years, he'd be a better option than most of what I see. Mariota and Winston will struggle as rookies, unless Mariota lands in Philadelphia. Then his learning curve will be much quicker. But neither is close to a sure thing in my mind. Mariota needs Chip, and Winston needs to learn how to read pro style defenses quickly. That takes time.  He'll take his lumps this year, and could end up being Josh Freeman 2.0

If the Jets were offered #20 and Nick Foles for the #6 pick, I make that trade if I'm the Jets. You instantly upgrade the QB position and keep your first round pick, which will also land a very good prospect. Foles is the best option out there, offering an immediate plug-in-and-play QB.

Seems a little light in compensation; add a #2 and I would do it.

I dont think you get a #2.  I said earlier in this thread #20, a 3rd, and Foles for #6...Nick called it a crazy idea that you have to jump all over cause the Jets are stealing them blind, but I think to move back to #20, you need a 3rd.

You have to look at it like Foles is a 2nd rd value...so it is likely #20, Foles, and a 3rd rd pick next year...I'd do that deal.

At #20, you still may land a top CB, or one of the tier 2 WRs like Beckham or Devin Smith (who reminds me of Holmes when he came out...or maybe Torrey Smith when he came out from Maryland).

Coming out of rd 1 with Foles and Devin Smith wouldn't be bad.

Not sure where the crazy I idea came from. I said multiple times a fair trade would be their 1st, Foles plus a 3rd or a 4th. I then went on to say with the offers the Eagles will be getting for Foles we might have to settle for just Foles plus the 20th pick and if it came to that I would do it.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 14:54

I started this trade idea, don't remember when or which thread. Heck might have been on the other board for all I remember. Old age... Anyway I think the trade would be swap 1st Rd'ers, Foles and a 4TH Rd'er Like Nick says above.. and I agree if it was just swapping picks and Foles I would do that as well.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 16:06

lnap23 wrote:I started this trade idea, don't remember when or which thread.  Heck might have been on the other board for all I remember.  Old age... Anyway I think the trade would be swap 1st Rd'ers, Foles and a 4TH Rd'er   Like Nick says above.. and I agree if it was just swapping picks and Foles I would do that as well.

It's a great idea in theory, but of course this is all dependent upon Mariota slipping past #5. I still think he and Winston both go top 4. The Eagles are going to work their way up to grab Mariota. Chip Kelley is salivating for him.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 16:39

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    lnap23 wrote:I started this trade idea, don't remember when or which thread.  Heck might have been on the other board for all I remember.  Old age... Anyway I think the trade would be swap 1st Rd'ers, Foles and a 4TH Rd'er   Like Nick says above.. and I agree if it was just swapping picks and Foles I would do that as well.

It's a great idea in theory, but of course this is all dependent upon Mariota slipping past #5. I still think he and Winston both go top 4. The Eagles are going to work their way up to grab Mariota. Chip Kelley is salivating for him.

I think it is very early in the process to think we know who is going top 5.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 22:22

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

I think what BB is saying is that Kelly won't be content to watch the first 5 picks come off the board and then trade up to #6 if he wants to get Mariota--he's going to trade up higher than 6, to make sure he gets his man. That's the problem for us--we're not in a position to guarantee that Mariota will be around when we pick.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 22:42

GratefulJet wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

I think what BB is saying is that Kelly won't be content to watch the first 5 picks come off the board and then trade up to #6 if he wants to get Mariota--he's going to trade up higher than 6, to make sure he gets his man. That's the problem for us--we're not in a position to guarantee that Mariota will be around when we pick.

That is all true but I don't think it precludes the Eagles from trading with us. Sometimes teams are only willing to trade back so far so they are assured of landing one of their top players. Kelly may need to make more than one trade to get to where he needs to be for Mariota.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 22:49

NickSINYC wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

That is all true but I don't think it precludes the Eagles from trading with us. Sometimes teams are only willing to trade back so far so they are assured of landing one of their top players. Kelly may need to make more than one trade to get to where he needs to be for Mariota.

If he runs slower at the combine than anticipated, has a slow delivery, doesn't show well at his pro day, or doesnt have great footwork, there is a strong possibility he slips. He isn't a pro style QB by a mile and no one knows how he will show. You also have to factor Mettenberger, Bortles, Carr, and RG3 are the QBs of the teams picking 2-5...so no lock if he doesn't look great he is a lock to go before 6...it all depends on how he shows, IMO.

I really want to see how he performs in the process.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 23:48

Certainly not a lock to go before 6, but what Kelly is surely thinking is, it sure would suck to trade up to #6 only watch St Louis or some other team trade up to #5 at the last minute and scoop him up.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 7:40

GratefulJet wrote:Certainly not a lock to go before 6, but what Kelly is surely thinking is, it sure would suck to trade up to #6 only watch St Louis or some other team trade up to #5 at the last minute and scoop him up.

All I'm saying is last year at this time Bridgewater was pencilled in as the top pick, the year before Geno was a top 5 lock...I'm just saying Mariota has as many warts in his game as those 2 (the kid has never had to read a defense or progress through reads, Bill Polian and Greg Cosell describe the concern as a QB that has never turned his head while executing the passing game to see an entire field, he just looks at one spot on the field and decides to throw it to that part of the field or not, his eyes aren't even trained to progress through receivers). He has a huge learning curve that may get exposed in classroom sessions that has people pumping the brakes.

To your point, it only takes 1 team to fall in love with a prospect, but I expect the draft picture to be very different in April than it is in January like every other year.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 9:40

fwiw - i am not buying the talk that philly is gonna do everything and anything to move up to get mariota. 9 times out of 10, when we hear a team is ga-ga over a player, it's a smokescreen.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 30 Jan 2015 - 11:19

hobson54 wrote:fwiw - i am not buying the talk that philly is gonna do everything and anything to move up to get mariota.  9 times out of 10, when we hear a team is ga-ga over a player, it's a smokescreen.

right there with you.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 9:14

Superman55 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:Certainly not a lock to go before 6, but what Kelly is surely thinking is, it sure would suck to trade up to #6 only watch St Louis or some other team trade up to #5 at the last minute and scoop him up.

All I'm saying is last year at this time Bridgewater was pencilled in as the top pick, the year before Geno was a top 5 lock...I'm just saying Mariota has as many warts in his game as those 2 (the kid has never had to read a defense or progress through reads, Bill Polian and Greg Cosell describe the concern as a QB that has never turned his head while executing the passing game to see an entire field, he just looks at one spot on the field and decides to throw it to that part of the field or not, his eyes aren't even trained to progress through receivers).  He has a huge learning curve that may get exposed in classroom sessions that has people pumping the brakes.

To your point, it only takes 1 team to fall in love with a prospect, but I expect the draft picture to be very different in April than it is in January like every other year.

Completely agree, many aspects of draft status rankings can change on a player from now until late April. Hell, who knows, Mac might be working on an insane deal to acquire a QB we're not even thinking about & we'd be settled at the position heading into the draft (or not).

To 55's point, Bridgewater was penciled in even before last year as a top 5 pick. His pro day made him plummet to the late 20's last year. I think the real question is, if Mariota drops to 6 do we:

1-Draft him & keep him

or

2-Draft him and make an Eli Manning'esque deal with the Eagles in which we can juice out as much as we can from them so Chip can acquire the player he mostly covets for his system?

In my opinion, As much as i like Marcus, i'd choose option #2. Foles is a legit starter in this league and with proper protection, he can change this franchises fortunes for the better.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 4 Feb 2015 - 14:48

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 4 Feb 2015 - 16:25

This is Ryan Malletts' pre draft scouting report. I posted it here it is a better thread but continues a conversation started in the Geno thread.

6'7" 253lbs 10 3/4" hands

OVERVIEW
    Mallett has the arm strength and size of a franchise NFL quarterback but still needs to continue to develop his accuracy and decision-making consistency. Can drive the ball down field and hit the deep out. When drop mechanics are sound, shows the ability to stick the ball into tiny windows. Has played in pro-style systems and understands reads and progressions but is still prone to taking some risks. Release is natural and over-the-top. Exhibits leadership qualities on the field but front offices will want to further investigate his character and ability to take coaching. Mallett's a really enticing package and will likely come off the board in round one.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Mallett possesses prototypical size. Has elite arm strength and can make all the throws. Displays smooth mechanics. Fluid, over-the-top delivery. Will fit the ball into tight spots and shows good overall accuracy. Has experience in the pro-style passing game. Good pocket mobility, can buy second chances and keeps his head down field. Fierce competitor and can command the huddle.

WEAKNESSES Flashes the ability to run through progressions but has lapses in judgment and can force throws when pressured. Accuracy is solid but needs to become more consistent. Ball will sail when footwork gets sloppy. Does not have the athleticism to pick up much yardage with his feet at the next level. Potential maturity/character issues
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Wed 4 Feb 2015 - 16:51

The 2 major concerns I have about Ryan Mallett is that he has a real checkered past in College @ Arkansas, and with Brady turning 48, why would the Patriots not keep him there ?

Go Jets...Cyborg
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 4 Feb 2015 - 17:18

cysporsche wrote:The 2 major concerns I have about Ryan Mallett is that he has a real checkered past in College @ Arkansas, and with Brady turning 48, why would the Patriots not keep him there ?

Go Jets...Cyborg

Brady is going to be 38, not 48. Mallett was entering the final year of his contract, so they traded him to get value. Brady isn't going anywhere for at least three more seasons IMO. So, it was either trade Mallett, or lose him as a free agent in 2015.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 4 Feb 2015 - 18:09

Well, we're in good shape with respect to Mallett if for no other reason than our GM was in perfect position to scout the snot out of him last year in Houston. If he's worth going after, you have to figure Maccagnan is on it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 7:33