Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+20
danfran
Superman55
Seaver
GratefulJet
soj
DonMaynard
Old#15
The Wicker Man
NCgreen12
HYATT™
cysporsche
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
football51
Sarge
lnap23
SackExchange
skop
LIJETFAN
hobson54
24 posters

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 11 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by Old#15 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 10:04

Another guy from the same QB class who I thought had a chance as a developmental project is Zac Dysert from Miami of Ohio. He has been carrying a clipboard for Peyton Manning and the Broncos for the last two years.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 11 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by Seaver Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 12:00

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:I'll be the 1st and hopefully it comes to fruition.  If Marrone takes over, i'd say he will work closely with the new GM to trade for his QB at Syracuse Ryan Nassib.  The guy has an Aaron Rodgers arm and can scramble if he needs to.

In saying so, i know many will say "Why didn't he draft him at Buffalo in '13 when he instead selected EJ Manuel.  I just feel Marrone wanted to get an impact player that EJ showed in his senior year just to possibly groom him to be his franchise QB.

Just thinking out loud, quite possibly Doug thought Nassib needed to get his experience elsewhere in order to grow into the next level QB.  IMHO, why not get coached up by a legendary coach in Tom Coughlin & backup 2 time Superbowl MVP Eli Manning. I'am sure Marrone would be willing to make a block buster move to get a stud like Nassib.

The question is, what do we give up.  If Marrone feels Nassib can be a franchise QB, i wouldn't be surprised if he gave up a 2nd rounder in this years draft for him.  
    Also keep in mind Ron Wolf is at the facility to as a counselor.  He would be a great person to talk to in this situation given he was chastised in Green Bay for trading a 1st rounder for a kid named Brett Fvare who was selected in the 2nd round the year prior by the Falcons.

History tends to repeat itself fellas.

was Manual a Marrone pick? I didn't think so. Marrone wasted little time this year bailing on the guy. Not sure what ANYONE saw in Manual - he was a terrible passer at FSU his senior season. Guy rarely made good decisions. That to me might have been the single worst draft pick that year. He was drafted on size alone. At least Marrone had the balls to bench him.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 11 Jan 2015 - 13:06

The Nassib thought went down the pipes fast..lol

How about kicking the tires on Sam Bradford? I'am sure the Rams would love to move on from him and start a new chapter.

With the right offensive coordinator possibe Shannahan, and arevamped O-line , hoping Macagnan goes hard after Iupati and selects at RT Brandon Sherf.  maybe Bradford can stay healthy.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 11 Jan 2015 - 13:50

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:The Nassib thought went down the pipes fast..lol

How about kicking the tires on Sam Bradford? I'am sure the Rams would love to move on from him and start a new chapter.

With the right offensive coordinator possibe Shannahan, and arevamped O-line , hoping Macagnan goes hard after Iupati and selects at RT Brandon Sherf.  maybe Bradford can stay healthy.

He's been my top choice all off season. Smart, almost 60% career comp despite never playing with any WRs, and a terrific TD/INT ratio despite no WRs, Brian S as his OC, and playing in a beast division.

I'd love him and we have the cap space to absorb his 1 year left on his contract. Quinn would obviously know him well.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 11 Jan 2015 - 15:24

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:The Nassib thought went down the pipes fast..lol

I have never been on the Nassib bandwagon but I would take a seat on Bradfords
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 11:56

I would love a shot at Bradford.......out of all the leftovers out there I prefer this guy.
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 12:15

What's Bradford's contract status?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 12:45

The Wicker Man wrote:What's Bradford's contract status?

1 year $13 mill left
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 8:31

One interesting scenario swimming around the league is how much of a fit these two top QBs are for Chip Kelly's offense.  I really think there is a good chance one of the QBs will be there at #6.   I wonder if we'd consider #6 for #20, Foles, and the Eagles 3rd rd pick.

At #20, I think you can still land one of the top CBs, a big WR, OL help, or a pass rushing OLB, and you land your QB.

Gotta wonder if a GM coming from a team that had so much success with Shaub would be interested in that path.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 12:51

Superman55 wrote:One interesting scenario swimming around the league is how much of a fit these two top QBs are for Chip Kelly's offense.  I really think there is a good chance one of the QBs will be there at #6.   I wonder if we'd consider #6 for #20, Foles, and the Eagles 3rd rd pick.

At #20, I think you can still land one of the top CBs, a big WR, OL help, or a pass rushing OLB, and you land your QB.

Gotta wonder if a GM coming from a team that had so much success with Shaub would be interested in that path.

Couple of things. I do not believe either of the QB will be there at 6 and if they where I do that trade in a heart beat it is a steal for us. Gailey would make Foles a star. I am not sure The Eagles make that trade
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 14:32

a couple of different espn articles mentioning ryan fitzpatrick as a possible fit for the jets.  makes sense in terms of veteran QBs to bring in (to assumedly compete with geno and a rookie)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12170648/examining-new-york-jets-options-quarterback-2015-nfl

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick -- yes, Ryan Fitzpatrick -- would be perfect for the Jets.

Set aside what you think about Fitzpatrick, who has a year left on his deal with Houston but could be available. His brutal 25-41 (.379) starting record during the past five seasons obscures the fact that he's the same as Andy Dalton or Jay Cutler, except he could be had for a fraction of the cost and, unlike Cutler, he's a guy any team would love to have in its quarterback meeting room.

2010-14 QB Comparison
    QB Jay Cutler Andy Dalton Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Games 66 64 68
    Comp 1,292 1,301 1,328
    Att. 2,096 2,111 2,177
    Pct. 61.6 61.6 61.0
    Yards 15,059 14,758 15,169
    Yards/att. 7.2 7.0 7.0
    TD 102 99 102
    INT 67 66 74
    Passer rating 86.3 85.2 83.4
    Sacked 170 120 118
    Total QBR 53.3 52.4 50.4
    Many quarterbacks outside the upper tiers tend to be interchangeable. The chart comparing Cutler, Dalton and Fitzpatrick drives home that point emphatically. Cutler's contract averages $18.1 million per year. Dalton has a deal averaging $16 million. Fitzpatrick, whose deal averages $3.6 million, has said he plans to take some time off before speaking to the Texans about their plans for him. If those plans include drafting a quarterback and going with Mallett as the starter, why not trade Fitzpatrick for a draft pick?

Fitzpatrick, signed by the Texans when the Jets' new GM was their college scouting director, has not been bad. He ranked just ahead of Ben Roethlisberger, Matthew Stafford and Carson Palmer in QBR for the 2013 season, when he was with Tennessee. The Titans sure seemed to miss him last season, when Fitzpatrick posted a 6-6 record with Houston while ranking just ahead of Dalton, Stafford and Cutler in QBR.

Fitzpatrick played for Gailey in Buffalo during the 2010-12 seasons. The Bills fielded the NFL's worst defense over that three-year span, measured by both points allowed and defensive expected points added (EPA), which adjusts for situations and is preferred for reasons explained here. Terrible defensive support explains why Fitzpatrick's won-lost record has lagged behind his stats. This came into clear focus when I took a closer look at Fitzpatrick and the 25 other quarterbacks with at least 40 qualifying starts since 2010. Of those 26 quarterbacks, only Tony Romo received less support from his defense.

Fitzpatrick has been below average compared to players good enough to start consistently in multiple seasons. However, if Bowles can get the Jets' defense back to a respectable level after he propped up a severely depleted Arizona unit, Fitzpatrick could get them nearer to the .500 range. The team could keep Smith and draft another prospect later on with an eye toward the 2016 season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets

The Jets will look to add a veteran quarterback, and the obvious choice is Fitzpatrick -- assuming the Houston Texans are willing to let him go. He ran Gailey's spread offense in Buffalo, and he ran it well enough to land a six-year, $60 million contract. Fitzpatrick spiraled after signing the big deal, but he showed last season he's still a functional quarterback. Remember, too, that new general manager Mike Maccagnan, a former Texans executive, is familiar with him
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 14:52

hobson54 wrote:a couple of different espn articles mentioning ryan fitzpatrick as a possible fit for the jets.  makes sense in terms of veteran QBs to bring in (to assumedly compete with geno and a rookie)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12170648/examining-new-york-jets-options-quarterback-2015-nfl

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick -- yes, Ryan Fitzpatrick -- would be perfect for the Jets.

Set aside what you think about Fitzpatrick, who has a year left on his deal with Houston but could be available. His brutal 25-41 (.379) starting record during the past five seasons obscures the fact that he's the same as Andy Dalton or Jay Cutler, except he could be had for a fraction of the cost and, unlike Cutler, he's a guy any team would love to have in its quarterback meeting room.

2010-14 QB Comparison
    QB Jay Cutler Andy Dalton Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Games 66 64 68
    Comp 1,292 1,301 1,328
    Att. 2,096 2,111 2,177
    Pct. 61.6 61.6 61.0
    Yards 15,059 14,758 15,169
    Yards/att. 7.2 7.0 7.0
    TD 102 99 102
    INT 67 66 74
    Passer rating 86.3 85.2 83.4
    Sacked 170 120 118
    Total QBR 53.3 52.4 50.4
    Many quarterbacks outside the upper tiers tend to be interchangeable. The chart comparing Cutler, Dalton and Fitzpatrick drives home that point emphatically. Cutler's contract averages $18.1 million per year. Dalton has a deal averaging $16 million. Fitzpatrick, whose deal averages $3.6 million, has said he plans to take some time off before speaking to the Texans about their plans for him. If those plans include drafting a quarterback and going with Mallett as the starter, why not trade Fitzpatrick for a draft pick?

Fitzpatrick, signed by the Texans when the Jets' new GM was their college scouting director, has not been bad. He ranked just ahead of Ben Roethlisberger, Matthew Stafford and Carson Palmer in QBR for the 2013 season, when he was with Tennessee. The Titans sure seemed to miss him last season, when Fitzpatrick posted a 6-6 record with Houston while ranking just ahead of Dalton, Stafford and Cutler in QBR.

Fitzpatrick played for Gailey in Buffalo during the 2010-12 seasons. The Bills fielded the NFL's worst defense over that three-year span, measured by both points allowed and defensive expected points added (EPA), which adjusts for situations and is preferred for reasons explained here. Terrible defensive support explains why Fitzpatrick's won-lost record has lagged behind his stats. This came into clear focus when I took a closer look at Fitzpatrick and the 25 other quarterbacks with at least 40 qualifying starts since 2010. Of those 26 quarterbacks, only Tony Romo received less support from his defense.

Fitzpatrick has been below average compared to players good enough to start consistently in multiple seasons. However, if Bowles can get the Jets' defense back to a respectable level after he propped up a severely depleted Arizona unit, Fitzpatrick could get them nearer to the .500 range. The team could keep Smith and draft another prospect later on with an eye toward the 2016 season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets

The Jets will look to add a veteran quarterback, and the obvious choice is Fitzpatrick -- assuming the Houston Texans are willing to let him go. He ran Gailey's spread offense in Buffalo, and he ran it well enough to land a six-year, $60 million contract. Fitzpatrick spiraled after signing the big deal, but he showed last season he's still a functional quarterback. Remember, too, that new general manager Mike Maccagnan, a former Texans executive, is familiar with him

I can see the logic in it and it might work I just hope it does not happen. I have never been a fan of Fitzpatrick and would rather see a younger vet with more long term upside brought in.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 17:37

I have long felt that Fitzpatrick is a perfect fit if you have a young QB you are trying to groom. This would mean either sticking with Geno on the roster, or drafting a QB. My preference is to draft one, whether sixth overall or in rounds 2-3.

Fitzpatrick may not have all the physical skills, but he is mentally one of the best QBs out there to teach a young QB how to make the reads. He also has experience in Gailey's system. So draft Mariota early, or Petty or someone like him a little later, bring in Fitzpatrick, and let a young QB learn and develop.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 18:59

Dave Hyde @davehydesports · 7h 7 hours ago
    Is Matt Moore in mix for Jets, Bills, just increase the AFC East incest (Rex, Gailey, Bowles, ...)? http://fw.to/yHBt1zl
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 21:23

SackExchange wrote:I have long felt that Fitzpatrick is a perfect fit if you have a young QB you are trying to groom. This would mean either sticking with Geno on the roster, or drafting a QB. My preference is to draft one, whether sixth overall or in rounds 2-3.

Fitzpatrick may not have all the physical skills, but he is mentally one of the best QBs out there to teach a young QB how to make the reads. He also has experience in Gailey's system. So draft Mariota early, or Petty or someone like him a little later, bring in Fitzpatrick, and let a young QB learn and develop.

Hell friggin yes to this!!! Bring in Fitz and trade for Mike Glennon then also draft a QB, let them battle it out.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 21:33

Geno might not be the starting QB for the Jets on opening day, but anyone who thinks he won't be on the team or won't be given every opportunity to be the opening day QB is...um...well, frankly, they're crazier than a $#|+ house rat

And I totally support bringing in a legit vet to compete for the job but some of you all need to let go of your visions of a Geno free jets offense in 2015
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 22:20

Sarge wrote:Geno might not be the starting QB for the Jets on opening day, but anyone who thinks he won't be on the team or won't be given every opportunity to be the opening day QB is...um...well, frankly, they're crazier than a $#|+ house rat

And I totally support bringing in a legit vet to compete for the job but some of you all need to let go of your visions of a Geno free jets offense in 2015

With all due respect Sarge, i know for a fact Geno will be on the team next year, but i've come to the conclusion that the new regime knows it must improve that position. I'am looking past Geno because frankly, i just don't and never will look at him as a starter.

In saying so, sure he'll be on the roster, but it shouldn't inhibit Macagnan from pursuing other options such as signing a Ryan Mallett, trading for a Mike Glennon & drafting a QB. Now the team has options to compete with this waste of talent, season crusher Geno Smith.

I just hope this new regime doesn't get inamorously fooled by Geno's "Physical attributes" as their predecessors were. Because they'd be easily sucked into the same trap. Alls i'am saying is, have a legitimate competition with viable QB's. Not just handing Geno the job and anointing him the starter after mini camp.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 22:24

I wonder if Bowles like Drew Stanton QB ? I know the old Jets burned a bridge with Stanton but.....

Go Jets...Cyborg
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 22:29

cysporsche wrote:I wonder if Bowles like Drew Stanton QB ? I know the old Jets burned a bridge with Stanton but.....

Go Jets...Cyborg

Now we're cooking. I'am liking the idea's fellas!!
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 22:58

It depends if Stanton's grudge is against the organization, or the old front office.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 9:09

Fitzpatrick might be the best option, veteran-wise to bring in. You could do a lot worse than him. I wonder if Schaub can be wrestled away from Oakland? Carr is the near future there, and how many good years does Schaub have left? I'd explore that possible trade scenario if I were Maccagnan.

And I'm in complete agreement about the drafting of a QB. I'm more in the "pass on Mariota/Winston" camp at 6 if they're there. Wasn't impressed by either recently, and I think there are a few developmental QB's to be had in the 2-4 rounds of this draft.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 9:19

Fitzpatrick is a classic between the 20's kind of QB........so you will need your kicker to be really good - certainly not the 2014 version of Nick Folk. This is the kind of QB Idzik should have brought in behind Geno - but I imagine he didn't want that much competition. I still like Bradford's upside more, but I am all aboard if this happens. They most definitely have to draft at least one QB.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 9:30

If we sign a solid veteran QB, not sure we need to draft a QB. Simms is a decent 3rd Stringer and you can always find a decent vet backup in an emergency.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 9:46

Sarge wrote:If we sign a solid veteran QB, not sure we need to draft a QB. Simms is a decent 3rd Stringer and you can always find a decent vet backup in an emergency.

I disagree on not drafting a QB. even if we bring in a vet like Fitzpatrick, we should definitely be looking to add a QB in the draft. that doesn't mean taking one at #6 or even in the 2nd round, but they should add another QB prospect to the roster. Geno may not have a long-term future with the team (he's only under contract thru 2016), so it makes sense to grab another young QB who you hope can develop.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 9:47

Seaver wrote:Fitzpatrick is a classic between the 20's kind of QB........so you will need your kicker to be really good - certainly not the 2014 version of Nick Folk.  This is the kind of QB Idzik should have brought in behind Geno - but I imagine he didn't want that much competition.  I still like Bradford's upside more, but I am all aboard if this happens.  They most definitely have to draft at least one QB.
    I think despite Folk's recent woes, he's good enough for the situation.

Most likely, sign Fitzpatrick, keep Geno, draft another QB, and let Fitzpatrick groom the two young QBs, with the best one emerging by the end of the year. That would be my plan.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024 - 21:01