Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+20
danfran
Superman55
Seaver
GratefulJet
soj
DonMaynard
Old#15
The Wicker Man
NCgreen12
HYATT™
cysporsche
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
football51
Sarge
lnap23
SackExchange
skop
LIJETFAN
hobson54
24 posters

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 5 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by SackExchange Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 14:36

Bryce Petty should probably be in the conversation on some level, as well. Sean Mannion. There are some guys out there.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 5 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by Seaver Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 11:28

if you don't hire a spread offense HC........you're wasting a pick on Mariota.  I think it's a waste anyways, but to go square peg to round hole would be a disaster.

...and I'm no fan of a spread offense HC.........Chip Kelleys do not grow on trees.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 11:29

Seaver wrote:if you don't hire a spread offense HC........you're wasting a pick on Mariota.  I think it's a waste anyways, but to go square peg to round hole would be a disaster.

...and I'm no fan of a spread offense HC.........Chip Kelleys do not grow on trees.

...which puts Harbough and Bevell's names back on the table.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 14:37

Superman55 wrote:
    danfran wrote:i assume the Jets will be getting the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft. Wouldn't Mariota be gone by then?

I think the Jets may have to trade a 1 and 3 this year and a 1 next year to move from #3 to #1 and ensure Mariota.  I think you have to do it and get your QB.  

No way I take Winston.

Everything I read, is that Winston is the best on field package for a QB in the upcoming draft. I agree he could be a colossal bust/problem in the wrong regime, but also incredible value in the right environment. In Rex's lax clubhouse absolutely not, but someone could get a great one in the middle of the 1st round.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 15:37

whether it be Idzik or someone new....the GM must pick an offensive minded HC to help guide the selection at QB and to properly develop him.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 15:47

Seaver wrote:whether it be Idzik or someone new....the GM must pick an offensive minded HC to help guide the selection at QB and to properly develop him.
    I have said this before the next HC should be an offensive minded disciplinarian. I just hope Woodys love for Rex has not been reignited after the Steelers win. The team needs a HC change
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 19:55

NickSINYC wrote:
    Seaver wrote:whether it be Idzik or someone new....the GM must pick an offensive minded HC to help guide the selection at QB and to properly develop him.
    I have said this before the next HC should be an offensive minded disciplinarian. I just hope Woodys love for Rex has not been reignited after the Steelers win. The team needs a HC change
    Said JAX about Tom Coughlin, after 3 bad seasons, when they went out and hired Jack Del Rio.
    Said KC when they let Schottenheimer go to hire Cunningham, Vermeil, Herm, Haley, & Romeo over the next 14 seasons.
    Said SD about Marty, when they went out and hired Norv Turner.
    Said MIN after losing an NFCC game and getting off to a bad start the next season, when they went & promoted Mike Tice in his place.
    Said CAR after as couple bad seasons removed from an NFCC game with Capers, when they went out and hired George Seifert.
    Said SF when they fired Seifert for not winning another Super Bowl, when they decided to hire Steve Mariucci, fired Mooch for Dennis Erickson, fired Erickson for Nolan, and then fired Nolan for Singletary mid-season .
    Said the Packers when they fired a mediocre but improving Bart Starr and hired first Forrest Gregg and then Lindy Infante.
    How's that Texans team doing after firing Kubiak in the middle of a setback season?

Failure to tolerate a couple of bad seasons has been the downfall of more than a few football clubs who probably, in hindsight, should have just stuck it out with the guy they already had.

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 20:13

I will leave an answer in the HC thread this one is starting to get hijacked. My bad also
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 12 Nov 2014 - 21:37

In other news, Cy's boy Winston had his sexual assault case postponed a week.
    skop
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by skop Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 9:45

HYATT™ wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    Said JAX about Tom Coughlin, after 3 bad seasons, when they went out and hired Jack Del Rio.
    Said KC when they let Schottenheimer go to hire Cunningham, Vermeil, Herm, Haley, & Romeo over the next 14 seasons.
    Said SD about Marty, when they went out and hired Norv Turner.
    Said MIN after losing an NFCC game and getting off to a bad start the next season, when they went & promoted Mike Tice in his place.
    Said CAR after as couple bad seasons removed from an NFCC game with Capers, when they went out and hired George Seifert.
    Said SF when they fired Seifert for not winning another Super Bowl, when they decided to hire Steve Mariucci, fired Mooch for Dennis Erickson, fired Erickson for Nolan, and then fired Nolan for Singletary mid-season .
    Said the Packers when they fired a mediocre but improving Bart Starr and hired first Forrest Gregg and then Lindy Infante.
    How's that Texans team doing after firing Kubiak in the middle of a setback season?

Failure to tolerate a couple of bad seasons has been the downfall of more than a few football clubs who probably, in hindsight, should have just stuck it out with the guy they already had.

I am sensing that you are intimating that the Jets should keep Rex, and a portion of me agrees. My problem with that notion is refusal to accept the fact that he is the HC of the entire team, not just the D. Can you imagine where the offense would be if he used his expertise in the offensive meetings showing Schotty, Sparano, or Marty where teams are going to attack their offenses when they line up in certain formations, or in certain downs & distances, or gave them insight as to what would scare the crap out of him if Rex's D lined up against them in those circumstances & any of those OC's would try X, Y, or Z against them.

I have no doubt that a.) Rex is a great game day motivator & his team will not quit on him b.) he can take the lemons he is handed and make the best lemonade possible c.) has the intellect to be a GREAT HC.

- I just don't know if he wants to be?
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 17:37

Of course the Jets will be going on a pointless winning streak which will knock them out of the Mariota selection. Unless the new coach and GM gamble and trade for him.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 17:39

But Foles would be my absolute number one choice if the Eagles cut bait with him.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 17:43

As long as Rex isn't the head coach. He's proven he loves going the conservative, game manager route with his QB's. He doesn't let his QB play their game.
    Just look at Mark and what he's doing in Philly. Why the color code wrist band method? We were inhibiting his true potential.
    The reports came out on Geno smith as Coaches were predetermining where he should chuck the football. Let the guy play.

I'am all for Geno to come back next season and prove all doubters wrong as long as he demonstrates his true skillset. Though let it be a fair QB competition. No just handing him or anyone the starting job.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 18:24

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:But Foles would be my absolute number one choice if the Eagles cut bait with him.
    I have always been high on Foles I would love to see him in our shade of Green
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 20:57

If the Eagles released Nick Foles in favor of Sanchez, then they're just as delusional as Manish Mehta. That buffoon once again pulled out his "I told ya so" card the other day stating how dumb the Jets were for letting Sanchez go.

So Mehta gets to bash Sanchez and the front office for trading up for him, and now he has the luxury of saying the Jets never should have let him go.

How convenient, Manish. You're so smart.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 22:35

Superman55 wrote:In other news, Cy's boy Winston had his sexual assault case postponed a week.

He's not my boy ! Plus do you honestly think Idzik would risk drafting a player with major red flags, I doubt it !

Go Jets...Cyborg
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 13:39

Vick wants to return in 2015. The only way that happens is if the coaching staff stays in place IMO.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/11/michael_vick_wants_to_stay_with_jets.html
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 14:25

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:As long as Rex isn't the head coach.  He's proven he loves going the conservative, game manager route with his QB's.  He doesn't let his QB play their game.
    Just look at Mark and what he's doing in Philly.  Why the color code wrist band method? We were inhibiting his true potential.
    The reports came out on Geno smith as Coaches were predetermining where he should chuck the football.  Let the guy play.

I'am all for Geno to come back next season and prove all doubters wrong as long as he demonstrates his true skillset.  Though let it be a fair QB competition.  No just handing him or anyone the starting job.

I would love for there to be a true competition at QB.....that way we can dispense once and for all the silly notion that Geno Smith is a starting caliber QB in the NFL. He lacks the most essential part of the position - QB brains. He doesn't have it. From day one it's been restrict this, restrict that....limit this, limit that. They have to coach around his shortcomings. By now growth should be evident but he still cannot progress beyond the first read.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 14:34

I think a restricted playbook in your first year is fine--rookie QBs' heads have so much stuff crammed into them that first year, dealing with the speed and force of the pro game, 1000-page playbooks, it's a lot to process. So I didn't have a problem with the fact Geno was on a restricted diet of plays last year. But this year, all we heard in training camp was how far advanced Geno was from last year, how the game had slowed down for him, how sharp he looked on his reads, his footwork, his decision making, and with his throws. As soon as the regular season started, he looked like last year's Bad Geno again. No change at all. He fell right back into his old panicky habits, and started turning the ball over with alarming (and increasing) frequency. He didn't just not progress, he regressed. That's what lost me. I was in his camp until about the 3rd game this year, then I jumped as far clear of his bandwagon as I could. Was it due to coaching? Maybe. I gave up on Sanchez too. Maybe a better set of coaches could have gotten more out of Mark, and maybe they could have gotten more out of Geno too.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 14:40

don't be fooled by Sanchez. He still has his limitations. He still tries to unload ball falling backwards and still battles inaccuracy. He is in a QB friendly system that is light years beyond the crap Schottenheimer saddled him with. What Sanchez has now is a fighting chance to be decent, but make no mistake, Mark Sanchez could not succeed under Schottenheimer. Not sure Marty is the cure either.

In other words.....what you may be seeing with Sanchez is nothing more than a system QB.........a system that a better QB may have even more success with...
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 11:41

Question ? Are we done with Geno ? The Flippers almost gave up on Ryan Tanneyhill after his first two seasons, and the light switch turned on in his 3rd season. Are we giving up totally on Geno, or should we bring him back to compete ?

I would bring him back to compete with free agent Jake Locker and 2nd round pick Bryce Petty.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 12:18

cysporsche wrote:Question ? Are we done with Geno ? The Flippers almost gave up on Ryan Tanneyhill after his first two seasons, and the light switch turned on in his 3rd season. Are we giving up totally on Geno, or should we bring him back to compete ?

I would bring him back to compete with free agent Jake Locker and 2nd round pick Bryce Petty.

Go Jets...Cyborg

He has two years left on his contract at a very low cost, so I'd assume he'd be back. Now, if everyone gets fired(new gm), then all bets are off.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 12:59

With the low guaranteed money, though, it could lead to Geno being shoved out the door.

If the Jets draft a QB high, they may look to bring in a veteran backup to start, but also guide that QB. Hopefully, they won't use Vick in that role again, as Vick did nothing to help teach Geno.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 14:44

SackExchange wrote:With the low guaranteed money, though, it could lead to Geno being shoved out the door.

If the Jets draft a QB high, they may look to bring in a veteran backup to start, but also guide that QB. Hopefully, they won't use Vick in that role again, as Vick did nothing to help teach Geno.
    Geno was never my guy but after this past off season I had hopes for him. With that said I want a 1st round QB plus a vet signed and Geno left in the mix. That is the group of three I want next training camp.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 9:41

Didn't see much from the college QBs I watched yesterday. Dak Prescott is not a NFL QB. Jameis did his usual bad 1st half/good 2nd half routine. Not a fan of his game. Other QBs that were unimpressive include Sean Mannion, Connor Cook, Nick Marshall...can't really find any good QB lines from yesterday.

OTOH does Melvin Gordon look like a beast or what? Wisconsin only had 46 passing yards against Nebraska, but 581 team rushing yards, with Gordon accounting for 408 on 25 carries (16 ypc). That kid briefly attended our local HS, but couldn't crack the varsity roster as a freshman so his family moved. I guess he added a few pounds and inches since, because our HS team stinks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024 - 23:17