Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+20
danfran
Superman55
Seaver
GratefulJet
soj
DonMaynard
Old#15
The Wicker Man
NCgreen12
HYATT™
cysporsche
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
football51
Sarge
lnap23
SackExchange
skop
LIJETFAN
hobson54
24 posters

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

WilliesDad
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 16 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by WilliesDad Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 22:40

[quote="NickSINYC"]
    WilliesDad wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:Brian Costello @BrianCoz  ·  1m 1 minute ago
    Former Jets QB coach rips Geno Smith: His play 'killed us' #nyj: http://nyp.st/1sZAUms  via @nypost

To expand on that quote, Lee said that Geno's 'up and down' play is what "killed" them.  Which is somewhat true.  HOWEVER, he also said that "he also did some great things. The last five games this season he was the seventh-rated passer in the league. He had a perfect passer rating in his last game at Miami. The potential and ability is there.”

So contextually, it's not as bad as that sound bite sounds.  

But, what does this also say about his ability as a QB coach?  First Sanchez, then Geno both regress and play incredibly inconsistently.  To me, that means that his message was not effective.  That it didn't get through to either Geno OR Mark.  

I am glad he is gone - but still in our division and I can't wait to see what he does with "ace" up there (see the article in relation to my quote of 'ace').

The whole article is link to the tweet for full context. I posted it more too show Lee who Rex brought with him to Buffalo was taking a shot at Geno while he praised Rexs' D. Not as an indictment on Geno[/quote

No worries Nick. Like I said, I'm just happy he's not with us anymore.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 16 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by Superman55 Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 6:57

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:Petty would be an interesting pick in the second round unless the Jets trade back into the 1st late to get him.

He's as gritty as they come and has played in an offense led by Art Briles in which is very similar to Chan Gailey's offense.  Would love to see Bryce in the mix with Fitzpatrick & Glennon for the starting job for '15.

Jets aren'tgoing to add Glennon and Fitzpatrick, IMO. It's more likely one or the other.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 7:39

If Glennon can't start for the worst team in the NFL, why on earth would we want him?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 7:45

GratefulJet wrote:If Glennon can't start for the worst team in the NFL, why on earth would we want him?

Slow delivery, slow footwork, statue in the pocket, but live arm. Not a huge fan. Polian would ask if he has fast eye to make the reads and make up for everything else being slow, and I can't answer that...but Tampa doesn't seem to trust him.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 9:43

GratefulJet wrote:If Glennon can't start for the worst team in the NFL, why on earth would we want him?

it seems people think other people's crap is better than our crap. i guess it's somewhat a derivation of the grass is always greener... scratch
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 10:33

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    Former Jets QB coach rips Geno Smith: His play 'killed us' #nyj: http://nyp.st/1sZAUms  via @nypost

And that's coming from a coach that worked with him.  So much a coach can do if the QB just doesn't get it.

again it comes down to football IQ.........some teams/scouts get it...some don't......you'll see some dumbass team draft UCLA-Rod Hundley and think he will be a top flight NFL QB. He just doesn't get it.

Geno has never lacked for physical tools........it's between his ears on the field that lacks. The problem that I see is that some get blinded by the physical tools and think the mental is improving when in fact it is not always the case. Take the last game, Geno was never pressured - he didn't have to fire up the brain to make a hurried decision. His first reads were winning their battles. He was playing a simple game of catch. Go to some better defenses that hide coverage better and he is lost. I don't know that he will ever progress beyond the limitations he currently has with reading a defense......but I certainly don't have the patience to wait years to see it. I'm sure Bowles and McGM don't have much either.

One thing is for sure.......whatever fate awaits Geno, it will be merit based alone.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 11:31

Seaver wrote:
    again it comes down to football IQ.........some teams/scouts get it...some don't......you'll see some dumbass team draft UCLA-Rod Hundley and think he will be a top flight NFL QB.  He just doesn't get it.

Geno has never lacked for physical tools........it's between his ears on the field that lacks.  The problem that I see is that some get blinded by the physical tools and think the mental is improving when in fact it is not always the case.  Take the last game, Geno was never pressured - he didn't have to fire up the brain to make a hurried decision.  His first reads were winning their battles.  He was playing a simple game of catch.  Go to some better defenses that hide coverage better and he is lost.  I don't know that he will ever progress beyond the limitations he currently has with reading a defense......but I certainly don't have the patience to wait years to see it.  I'm sure Bowles and McGM don't have much either.

One thing is for sure.......whatever fate awaits Geno, it will be merit based alone.  

I agree with all of that.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 10:22

GratefulJet wrote:
    Seaver wrote:
    again it comes down to football IQ.........some teams/scouts get it...some don't......you'll see some dumbass team draft UCLA-Rod Hundley and think he will be a top flight NFL QB.  He just doesn't get it.

Geno has never lacked for physical tools........it's between his ears on the field that lacks.  The problem that I see is that some get blinded by the physical tools and think the mental is improving when in fact it is not always the case.  Take the last game, Geno was never pressured - he didn't have to fire up the brain to make a hurried decision.  His first reads were winning their battles.  He was playing a simple game of catch.  Go to some better defenses that hide coverage better and he is lost.  I don't know that he will ever progress beyond the limitations he currently has with reading a defense......but I certainly don't have the patience to wait years to see it.  I'm sure Bowles and McGM don't have much either.

I agree with all of that.

That's what I've been saying all along, but some feel I have a personal agenda towards Geno. Which is not the case one bit. It's just that Geno is absolutely not the answer at QB. Seaver Is on point with his assessment.
    Smith Just doesn't get it.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 10:27

hobson54 wrote:

it seems people think other people's crap is better than our crap.  i guess it's somewhat a derivation of the grass is always greener... scratch

I'am sure some Packer fans said the same thing when Green Bay traded a 1st rounder to the falcons for some bum named Brett Favre.

hell for that matter, what if in the summer of 2001, some GM would have traded a 2nd rounder to the Pats for some BS player they called Tom Brady?

Sometimes, believe it or not, if a franchise is willing to take a chance on what other don't see, it's a risk worth taking.

Not saying Glennon is the answer, but an option to throw into the mix with a proven OC. He's had 2 different OC and still managed to have better numbers than our trash named, Geno Smith.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 11:31

Seaver wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

And that's coming from a coach that worked with him.  So much a coach can do if the QB just doesn't get it.

That's a fair assessment, Seaver. Well put. That's exactly how I feel about Geno.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 11:33

hobson54 wrote:

it seems people think other people's crap is better than our crap.  i guess it's somewhat a derivation of the grass is always greener... scratch

Laughing
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 13:37

When Geno sucks it's all on him, when he plays well, the defense was horrible and any stiff could have done well against them
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 21:35

Sarge wrote:When Geno sucks it's all on him, when he plays well, the defense was horrible and any stiff could have done well against them

When did he play well when it mattered?
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 21:57

As David Lee said, he was the 7th rated passer in the league over the last 5 weeks of the season. Of course, it "didn't matter" by that point so it doesn't count, right?
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 19:05

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:

I'am sure some Packer fans said the same thing when Green Bay traded a 1st rounder to the falcons for some bum named Brett Favre. 
    Yer gunna shight when I tell you the name of that Packers fan who was dead-set against the trade for Favre.
    Then Packers intern, Ted Clarence Thompson.
    He was also against giving Miami a Rd 2 pick for TE Keith Jackson.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 21:42

Nick Foles is drawing interest around the league from teams who think Kelly might want to trade him to accumulate the draft chips to trade up to draft Mariota. The article linked below doesn't speculate on what it might cost to land Foles, but does speculate that the Rams, who own the 10th pick in the draft, might have interest. Presumably the Jets, with the 6th pick, would have plenty of ammo to make the trade, and the real question there would be what else the Jets would get back besides Foles if they gave up their 1st rounder.  The Eagles pick 20th: is that pick plus Foles in exchange for the Jets' 6th overall pick a reasonable deal?  Nick, you're the resident Nick Foles fan. Do you make that trade?

Several teams, including Rams, are ready to make a deal for Foles
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 21:56

GratefulJet wrote:Nick Foles is drawing interest around the league from teams who think Kelly might want to trade him to accumulate the draft chips to trade up to draft Mariota. The article linked below doesn't speculate on what it might cost to land Foles, but does speculate that the Rams, who own the 10th pick in the draft, might have interest. Presumably the Jets, with the 6th pick, would have plenty of ammo to make the trade, and the real question there would be what else the Jets would get back besides Foles if they gave up their 1st rounder.  The Eagles pick 20th: is that pick plus Foles in exchange for the Jets' 6th overall pick a reasonable deal?  Nick, you're the resident Nick Foles fan. Do you make that trade?

Several teams, including Rams, are ready to make a deal for Foles

I would like more back. An added 3rd or a 4th would be nice but it is all about supply and demand. I think he will be highly pursued and we might have to pull the trigger on just the swap of 1s plus Foles. I honestly think we could win a SB with him and make a run at the playoffs next year.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 22:18

I just wanted to add I would feel comfortable going into next season with a mix of Foles, Smith and a mid to late pick of someone like a Bryan Bennett at QB.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 22:23

NickSINYC wrote:I just wanted to add I would feel comfortable going into next season with a mix of Foles, Smith and a mid to late pick of someone like a Bryan Bennett at QB.

Me too. Foles can be like Kerry Collins and Bledsoe who both got their teams to the super bowl; hell, maybe even a little like Flacco. i wouldn't want to rely on them to win a game by themselves, any of them, but they can on any given Sunday. I think with the right supporting cast, you can win with Foles. Bradford would still be my top choice because I think he is a very smart, high football IQ QB, but Foles would be my option 2 heading into the off season.

For the record, I like Bradford and Foles more than anyone in the draft class by a wide margin.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 22:31

Well, let's see what Maccagnan has up his sleeve. I am kind of expecting some action from him on the trade front. I don't think he's going into the season with the status quo at QB.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 5:23

Superman55 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:I just wanted to add I would feel comfortable going into next season with a mix of Foles, Smith and a mid to late pick of someone like a Bryan Bennett at QB.

Me too.  Foles can be like Kerry Collins and Bledsoe who both got their teams to the super bowl; hell, maybe even a little like Flacco.  i wouldn't want to rely on them to win a game by themselves, any of them, but they can on any given Sunday.  I think with the right supporting cast, you can win with Foles.    Bradford would still be my top choice because I think he is a very smart, high football IQ QB, but Foles would be my option 2 heading into the off season.  

For the record, I like Bradford and Foles more than anyone in the draft class by a wide margin.

I like Bradford also but I have him slotted 2nd to Foles. I would be very happy if we could land either.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 7:32

NickSINYC wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

Me too.  Foles can be like Kerry Collins and Bledsoe who both got their teams to the super bowl; hell, maybe even a little like Flacco.  i wouldn't want to rely on them to win a game by themselves, any of them, but they can on any given Sunday.  I think with the right supporting cast, you can win with Foles.    Bradford would still be my top choice because I think he is a very smart, high football IQ QB, but Foles would be my option 2 heading into the off season.  

I like Bradford also but I have him slotted 2nd to Foles. I would be very happy if we could land either.

I like that Bradford has never had WRs or a TE, half his career with no RB, and a 2:1 TD to INT ration (it's like 58 TDs and 30 INTs) and 58% comp in that division. That would be great #s with DJax, Maclin, Cooper, and McCoy...but Bradford did that with Nick, 51, 55, Hobson, and SE at the skill positions vs Seattle, 9ers, and Cards...talk about doing something with nothing. Smile
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 9:49

GratefulJet wrote:Well, let's see what Maccagnan has up his sleeve. I am kind of expecting some action from him on the trade front. I don't think he's going into the season with the status quo at QB.

It's hard to believe that Geno Smith and Matt Simms will be the main QB's on our roster in 2015. Something's gonna happen, whether it's Fitzpatrick becoming available, a trade for someone (Foles for me, at the right price), or a high-mid round draft pick.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 10:02

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:Well, let's see what Maccagnan has up his sleeve. I am kind of expecting some action from him on the trade front. I don't think he's going into the season with the status quo at QB.

It's hard to believe that Geno Smith and Matt Simms will be the main QB's on our roster in 2015. Something's gonna happen, whether it's Fitzpatrick becoming available, a trade for someone (Foles for me, at the right price), or a high-mid round draft pick.

Yeah and there's nothing good on the FA market, so it's either going to be a trade or a draft pick. A mid-low draft pick will be underwhelming, and will indicate that they still think they can salvage Geno. A trade for Foles or Bradford, OTOH, or a high draft pick will give a pretty clear signal they are moving on from Geno. Even Fitzpatrick would be a shift in that direction.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 10:07

The real question is will they try to do something at QB prior to the draft or will they hold their cards and try to either make a move up or hope a QB slips to us at #6? So, do something prior to the draft or wait until the draft - either draft a QB or make a move afterwards

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024 - 17:58