Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+20
danfran
Superman55
Seaver
GratefulJet
soj
DonMaynard
Old#15
The Wicker Man
NCgreen12
HYATT™
cysporsche
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
football51
Sarge
lnap23
SackExchange
skop
LIJETFAN
hobson54
24 posters

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 13 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by NickSINYC Sat 17 Jan 2015 - 17:10

cysporsche wrote:
    Old#15 wrote:Wouldn't shock me to see us picking Hundley or Petty in 2nd or 3rd, Smith and possibly a guy like Cousins or Fitzpatrick to round out the QB position.  I'm reading that the spread that Gailey runs is a nice fit for Geno, so who knows maybe he could turn out to be serviceable.

+1 Agree. I think Geno is our starting QB next season regardless who we sign or draft. I think Geno & Gailey are going to be a perfect fit, based on the QB's he liked @ Georgia Tech. Tanneyhill with the Flippers was very average until his 3rd year. I think the light switch kicked on for Geno near the end of last season, then he had a fantastic game against the fish to end the season.

Geno has the tools (huge arm, great scrambler, fast), he just needs to have more faith in the pocket, read all his reads, plant both feet then chuck it ! We need to protect him better and get him another stud WR weapon. CJ Spiller would really help with swing & dump-off passes under pressure.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Cy, I have said before it is too soon to write off Geno. I want him in the mix competing next season. I think everyone should take with a grain of salt what Geno did at the end of last season. IMO judging what a QB does in meaningless games is almost meaningless.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks - Page 13 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Quarterbacks

Post by NickSINYC Sat 17 Jan 2015 - 17:12

Old#15 wrote:Wouldn't shock me to see us picking Hundley or Petty in 2nd or 3rd, Smith and possibly a guy like Cousins or Fitzpatrick to round out the QB position.  I'm reading that the spread that Gailey runs is a nice fit for Geno, so who knows maybe he could turn out to be serviceable.

I do like Hundley or Cousins but I would sign up for Petty and Fitzpatrick.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 10:37

NickSINYC wrote:

I live in DC, and have watched almost every Cousins game in the pros.  He's a very smart QB, that reads defenses and makes solid decisions; however, he lacks arm strength and his balls float.  Most of his throws are based on pre-snap reads or predetermined.  if you need him to make a big time throw, he doesn't have the arm for it.

You'll find despite Drew Stanton's success, for those who love him, Arians scaled back his offense.  Jim Miller talked about it a lot on Sirius.  Stanton doesn't have the arm Palmer does, even at Palmer's age.  So he scaled back his offense and made it very conservative.

My real point is, when you look at Stanton and Cousins, most around the league dont look at them as developmental long term solutions any more.  They're upside is very Jay Fiedler like.  They can win you some games, but are very limited.

With Cousins or Stanton, expect 8 in the box at all times as defenses know they're no threat to beat them over the top.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 11:09

Superman55 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:

I live in DC, and have watched almost every Cousins game in the pros.  He's a very smart QB, that reads defenses and makes solid decisions; however, he lacks arm strength and his balls float.  Most of his throws are based on pre-snap reads or predetermined.  if you need him to make a big time throw, he doesn't have the arm for it.

You'll find despite Drew Stanton's success, for those who love him, Arians scaled back his offense.  Jim Miller talked about it a lot on Sirius.  Stanton doesn't have the arm Palmer does, even at Palmer's age.  So he scaled back his offense and made it very conservative.  

My real point is, when you look at Stanton and Cousins, most around the league dont look at them as developmental long term solutions any more.  They're upside is very Jay Fiedler like.  They can win you some games, but are very limited.

With Cousins or Stanton, expect 8 in the box at all times as defenses know they're no threat to beat them over the top.
    My thoughts on Geno are that we never really had an offensive scheme he was comfortable with, and he never had the time in the pocket to perform. His CPU may not run at the rate of an Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers, but he's got enough tools to have a good day if you give him time back there, as they did in the last game vs. Miami. That's one more reason why I think the team goes OL in the first round this year, and probably also looks OL in free agency. Our line was simply criminal last year in pass blocking. I haven't checked the list of probable free agents to check who'll be available at TE, but I suspect we'll look for a good blocking TE as well. If they can give Geno the kind of time guys like Brady and Manning are used to, I think he can be more than serviceable. Pro Bowl? Not likely, but good enough to get us to the playoffs if the other areas perform.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 11:54

GratefulJet wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:

My thoughts on Geno are that we never really had an offensive scheme he was comfortable with, and he never had the time in the pocket to perform. His CPU may not run at the rate of an Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers, but he's got enough tools to have a good day if you give him time back there, as they did in the last game vs. Miami. That's one more reason why I think the team goes OL in the first round this year, and probably also looks OL in free agency. Our line was simply criminal last year in pass blocking. I haven't checked the list of probable free agents to check who'll be available at TE, but I suspect we'll look for a good blocking TE as well. If they can give Geno the kind of time guys like Brady and Manning are used to, I think he can be more than serviceable. Pro Bowl? Not likely, but good enough to get us to the playoffs if the other areas perform.

Well, he's a hard worker and student of the game, which is why I always liked him. Even in college he worked summers with the Mannings and Dilfer. He never had character or off the field issues. That's the only reason I loved him coming out of WVU, his approach to the game is exactly what you want.

Last summer he worked out in Weinke's camp with Cam and Bridgewater. Hopefully he does that again. He doe have the arm strength, mechanics, and a great release and has worked to get better and better at his footwork. I say that to say this, his decision making needs to get better and he needs to trust his eyes. I think you have to bring in a young QB and vet to see who wins out in camp. he gets zero more free passes, but I am in the camp that still thinks he can be the guy, you never know, but now he gets people to try and push him out of the door and he'll have to rise to the top even if he hopes to make the roster.

Regarding oline help, Idzik's buffoon free agent Gia at RT was a disaster. It started the first preseason game vs Indi when Werner had 2.5 sacks against him in the first quarter and played its way out all season much the same. No excuse for that disaster. I hope he's cut soon. That was a horrible signing.

As for oline in free agency, I think we may make a play for Iupati (fingers grossed) to play opposite Aboushi.

Another free agent RT that we may take a look at is Newhouse RT Bengals if we move on from the swinging door known as Gia...too bad we didnt spend that extra bread and keep Howard. Mad
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 12:09

55- I agree with you about Giacomini. He carries a $4.375M dead money cap hit if cut pre-June 1, according Jason at OTC, so the only question in my mind is whether he is salvageable at RG. Otherwise, I follow your plan, sign Iupati to play RG (if he's amenable), draft Peat to play RT, keep Aboushi at LG (playing him next to a rookie at RT might be asking too much), with Peat moving to LT in a year or two when Brick hangs 'em up, and Dozier maybe taking over for Iupati after a few years. We've got the cap space to clear out some dead wood, and this is the time to do it, so let's get cracking.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 12:22

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not aboard with drafting Schreff or Peat @ #6 and moving Breno Giacomini RT inside to guard. At 6'7"/318 he's too tall to be an affective guard in the NFL. I like a guard from 6'2"-6'5" for quicker mobility on pulling and road grading.

Yes Dallas has improved their running for several reasons:
    1) Bill Callahan was an excellent OL coach before he bolted to the Skins.
    2) Zack Martin was probably the best OL in last years draft. I don't think Scherff comes close to being as good as Martin who was picked 16th in last years draft.
    3) Demarco Murray has a lot to do with their improved stats.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 12:27

What we don't know about the OL is if Gailey is going to go with a zone blocking scheme and if so, which Offenisve Linemen gel with that scheme.  Also, don't discount the kid we got from Pittsburgh Wes Johnson as a viable option on the OL
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 12:43

Sarge what is the report on Johnson, and where does he project along the OL?

I wouldn't sleep on Dozier either, could have the most upside among Oday, Winters and Johnson.  If we draft an OLman at #6, he has to project at some point to LT.  Scherff and Collins are probably better suited to the inside and perhaps RT, but not LT. If we break the bank in FA, then Houston would be an intriguing addition to our front 7.  Too bad there are no great CBs in the draft.

I have been reading about how beneficial a 'Y' or blocking TE would be to our squad; why not someone who is already on the team - Chris Pantale?  He had a reputation coming out of college as more of a conventional TE (heavier on blocking vs receiving).  Felt he should have been given more of a chance vs someone like Cumberland.

I also think that Geno could really blossom into a more consistent QB in this his 3rd season, particularly with Gailey as the OC. Give him more protection and perhaps another great option at WR like White, Parker or Cooper and watch him take off. I would also take a QB in 2nd or 3rd like Hundley or Petty in case that doesn't happen.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 13:30

I hope all of you guys who have faith in Geno are right... I have lost faith in him and just don't see his decision making, footwork, pocket awareness getting better all of a sudden.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 13:38

soj wrote:I hope all of you guys who have faith in Geno are right... I have lost faith in him and just don't see his decision making, footwork, pocket awareness getting better all of a sudden.
    Yeah, I'm not that far behind you. I think the Miami game showed what Geno can do when he has all day back there to look downfield and make his reads. He threw some pretty nice balls and generally made good decisions, and I have to say I was forced to re-evaluate somewhat my previous dismissal of him as having any chance of being successful. Not sure how much can be attributed to a Miami team that simply didn't show up that day, so don't want to read too much into it, but at this point the team has a lot invested in Geno and the new administration will want to make its own assessment of him. They might decide it's both cheaper and more feasible to build a strong OL than it is to go out and find a franchise QB.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 14:34

cysporsche wrote:I know this sounds crazy, but I'm not aboard with drafting Schreff or Peat @ #6 and moving Breno Giacomini RT inside to guard. At 6'7"/318 he's too tall to be an affective guard in the NFL. I like a guard from 6'2"-6'5" for quicker mobility on pulling and road grading.

Yes Dallas has improved their running for several reasons:
    1) Bill Callahan was an excellent OL coach before he bolted to the Skins.
    2) Zack Martin was probably the best OL in last years draft. I don't think Scherff comes close to being as good as Martin who was picked 16th in last years draft.
    3) Demarco Murray has a lot to do with their improved stats.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Well, both Callahan and Murray were there years before last year, so the only thing new from last year then the two years before were...Zach Martin and Linehan calling the plays instead of Garrett.

Those are the two changes that helped Dallas improve: Zach Martin and new OC/play caller Scott Linehan.

Jerry Jones stripped Garrett of play calling duties this year and said it was too much to gameplan and manage the team and that was a big change that turned out very well for dallas.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 17:22

So as bad as Geno played this past season, every one will give the guy a pass? 2014 was as bad as it got for me as a fan and Geno was a tremendous part of it.  Along side with better players than he had in '13.

The pure definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. So sure, place Geno in the starting role.  If anyone expects a 9-7 record or an 8-8 2015 result is just rubbing on their hands on a lamp.  Just because of Chan Gailey? Ok

The best scenario for the Jets is to acquire adequate competition for Geno, not below average or declining QB's.  Draft a Bryce Petty, sign a Fitzpatrick/Mallett & trade for a Glennon.  Have them battle it out fairly, not just because some one "Deserves a 2nd, or 3rd, or 4rth or 5th or 6th chance".

2014 was a disaster because Rex had no options on who to turn to in order to give the offense a spark at the quarterback position. That primarily was the fault of the Quarterback that his GM drafted that ultimately cost him his job.  

I HIGHLY doubt this new regime wil make the same exact Bone head mistake their predecessors did.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 17:41

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:So as bad as Geno played this past season, every one will give the guy a pass? 2014 was as bad as it got for me as a fan and Geno was a tremendous part of it.  Along side with better players than he had in '13.

The pure definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. So sure, place Geno in the starting role.  If anyone expects a 9-7 record or an 8-8 2015 result is just rubbing on their hands on a lamp.  Just because of Chan Gailey? Ok

The best scenario for the Jets is to acquire adequate competition for Geno, not below average or declining QB's.  Draft a Bryce Petty, sign a Fitzpatrick/Mallett & trade for a Glennon.  Have them battle it out fairly, not just because some one "Deserves a 2nd, or 3rd, or 4rth or 5th or 6th chance".

2014 was a disaster because Rex had no options on who to turn to in order to give the offense a spark at the quarterback position. That primarily was the fault of the Quarterback that his GM drafted that ultimately cost him his job.  

I HIGHLY doubt this new regime wil make the same exact Bone head mistake their predecessors did.

I don't think anyone is giving him a pass. I think everyone wants competition brought in and have a true battle for the starting spot. It's just some people want him gone while others are willing to see what he does with the new coaching staff.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 17:54

1 Arrow

There are just so many better options for this organization to move forward from the failed Geno Smith Experiment.

2013-Turnover machine

2014-Regressed with better players around him.

The guy isn't worthy of a 3rd chance.

Last edited by NYJETSDAN16 on Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 18:00; edited 2 times in total
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 17:54

This draft class alone can give this team better options than Geno starting with Bryce Petty who comes from a spread offense.

Last edited by NYJETSDAN16 on Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 18:01; edited 2 times in total
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 17:56

NickSINYC wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:So as bad as Geno played this past season, every one will give the guy a pass? 2014 was as bad as it got for me as a fan and Geno was a tremendous part of it.  Along side with better players than he had in '13.

I don't think anyone is giving him a pass. I think everyone wants competition brought in and have a true battle for the starting spot. It's just some people want him gone while others are willing to see what he does with the new coaching staff.

I will raise my hand and state (if anyone didn't notice) i want Geno GONE. I haven't seen a QB this bad since Nagle. It's like giving Nagles a 3rd season under Chan Gailey's offense. I'am sorry, but i have never seen a fan base give a 2nd rounder so many chances over and over again.

Nick, as long as Geno gets the appropriate competition that this fan base and organzation deserve, he wont be starting.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 18:19

I don't think anyone disagrees that Geno is probably not the answer, Dan. However, he's on the team, and the new regime will decide if he's worth investing any more time and energy in. While you say expecting 8-8 out of him is like wishing for a genie, he did actually deliver an 8-8 record just a year ago. He stank up the joint in '14, but Geno was not the only problem last year, and there are holes aplenty to fill on this team. Trading valuable draft picks for guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick (he's not a free agent) or never-was guys like Nassib or Glennon won't fill any of those holes (nor will free agent bums like Ryan Mallett). I'm all for finding a reasonable free agent QB or trading for a decent one in trade like Foles, and spending a draft pick on a developmental prospect, but I haven't seen a single post here in favor of penciling in Geno as the 2015 starter, so I'm not sure what you're going on about.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 19:07

We don't even know what QBs will be on next year's roster.  I think we all trust our GMs and coaches direction...lets see what shakes out before we get all up in arms.

For all we know Foles or Bradford will be on the roster and its a moot point.  If Geno truly is as bad as Dan says, our new GM and coach have no skin in this game and will move on.  If he starts any games, it will be because this regime believes he gives us the best chance to win.

I think we make a move and add a starting caliber QB already in the league and if Geno beats him out, he deserves to start, and if he doesn't earn a roster spot, he'll be gone like Dan says.

Some people think there's a chance and some don't, but there will likely be 2 knew QBs on the roster in the next 3 months and until we know those names, and the quality of those QBs, I wouldnt waste too much time arguing who is and isn't going to be our 2015 QB.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 19:12

GratefulJet wrote:

I don't think anyone disagrees that Geno is probably not the answer, Dan. However, he's on the team, and the new regime will decide if he's worth investing any more time and energy in. While you say expecting 8-8 out of him is like wishing for a genie, he did actually deliver an 8-8 record just a year ago. He stank up the joint in '14, but Geno was not the only problem last year, and there are holes aplenty to fill on this team. Trading valuable draft picks for guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick (he's not a free agent) or never-was guys like Nassib or Glennon won't fill any of those holes (nor will free agent bums like Ryan Mallett). I'm all for finding a reasonable free agent QB or trading for a decent one in trade like Foles, and spending a draft pick on a developmental prospect, but I haven't seen a single post here in favor of penciling in Geno as the 2015 starter, so I'm not sure what you're going on about.

Some people are talking like there's a quick fix to this QB problem.

Geno, believe it or not, might be starting for the Jets in 2015. And I don't know that there's a better option right now. Fitzpatrick? really? He's been good, and he's been yucky. Kinda like Geno.

Like it or not, the Jets don't have an obvious solution at QB. Maybe we get lucky and Mariota drops to 6. And then MAYBE Mariota is a franchise QB.

A lot of maybe's.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 19:17

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:This draft class alone can give this team better options than Geno starting with Bryce Petty who comes from a spread offense.

Your plan is to draft and start Bryce Petty next year? Seriously??
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 21:10

GratefulJet wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:This draft class alone can give this team better options than Geno starting with Bryce Petty who comes from a spread offense.

Your plan is to draft and start Bryce Petty next year? Seriously??

Far better option than what we've seen of Geno...Seriously cheers
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 21:12

We get it. You don't like Geno.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 21:33

SackExchange wrote:We get it. You don't like Geno.

I can't stand that SOB. One of the worst QB's i have ever seen. Wasted an entire 2014 season. The Jets gave him the starting role, gift wrapped with an arsenal of weaopns around him and he squandered his opportunity. Now, as a fan i have to see if he gels with a new OC? Costing us another wasted season instead of evaluating another QB such as Glennon or Mallett, or another Rookie QB.

I'am sorry Sack, we've gone back and forth, and i'am sure it's tiring for many to read what i constantly state about Geno Smith, but it gets frustrating to even fathom that this horrendous, worthless QB will get another opportunity to destroy yet another season, we as fans wait for.

We fans invest so much of our time to follow this team. Combine, OTA's, Draft, Training Camp, Preseason. Then for what, to have a gutless Quarterback like Geno Smith get another shot? How many chances will we give a 2nd round QB? Hell, i could understand Mark Sanchez as the franchise invested a 5th overall pick. The organization should take 4 seasons to evaluate him, not a second rounder who hasn't shown absolutely nothing when it mattered the most.

I just cannot wait until this trash of a QB gets cut or relegated to 3rd string so that he doesn't have to tarnish another season. As far as QB's are concerned, it's still January, There will be plenty of options for the new regime to try to help upgrade the position most in need. NO WAY GENO STARTS IN 2015.

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 21:43

I really don't get this rationale. Sanchez was a top five pick, so he deserved a longer leash. That makes no sense to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024 - 10:37