Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+14
lnap23
Superman55
NCgreen12
NYJETSDAN16
GratefulJet
football51
NickSINYC
Blindsidebrick
The Wicker Man
hobson54
LIJETFAN
AFA2017
Sarge
Hunter07
18 posters

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ... - Page 7 Empty Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

Post by Blindsidebrick Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 21:09

football51 wrote:

Brian Costello
    ‏@BrianCoz
    #scheinknows "@AdamSchein: The special teams coach that Doug Marrone fired for being awful doesn't like Doug Marrone. Got it.”

Dig a little deeper, and the truth you shall find.
    Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ... - Page 7 Empty Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

Post by Hunter07 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 21:15

Marrone cut the legs out from under the Bills bringing in Polian as their new GM - and all this negative BS against him might well be orchestrated by the Bills FO - "behind the scenes" as pay-back.
    AFA2017
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by AFA2017 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 21:30

IMO Marrone should not be considered for the Jets HC. Do you really want a coach who leaves his team because you do not like the GM's Move in trading 2 #1's for a premier WR. The #1 rated WR in the Draft. If Idzik had done that he would have been a hero in this city. What happens if we trade up for Marriota giving up 2 #1's? If Marrone is the coach, whats to say he does not opt out his contract. Marrone was the coach, coach your team. He was not the GM. So you got a young QB and you give him a weapon like Watkins and your coach is going to cry over it.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 22:26

AFA2017 wrote:IMO Marrone should not be considered for the Jets HC. Do you really want a coach who leaves his team because you do not like the GM's Move in trading 2 #1's for a premier WR. The #1 rated WR in the Draft. If Idzik had done that he would have been a hero in this city. What happens if we trade up for Marriota giving up 2 #1's? If Marrone is the coach, whats to say he does not opt out his contract. Marrone was the coach, coach your team. He was not the GM. So you got a young QB and you give him a weapon like Watkins and your coach is going to cry over it.

This is more the way things went down. Marone was in the middle of a contract that had an opt out window that became active if an ownership change took place. When entering the window he approached the new owner who was planning on making some management changes and asked to be able to speak to the new person to gauge how they would work together. He was told no. With not being able to get assurance what was in his future and no extension of his contract to be worked out he chose to exercise a fairly bargained option that paid him 4 mil. I don't see that as doing anything wrong and see no reason to hold it against him.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 22:48

Who wouldn't take the deal Marrone took?

His contract had a clause that kicked in if there was a change in ownership. That clause gave him $4 million if he opted out, regardless of what else he did. He could take over as HC of a division rival, become a line coach for a CFL team, or eat pistachios and watch reruns of The West Wing. It didn't matter. And if he took another job, he would get that salary PLUS the $4MM from the Bills.

WHO WOULDN'T TAKE THAT DEAL?!?
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 1:17

AFA2017 wrote:IMO Marrone should not be considered for the Jets HC. Do you really want a coach who leaves his team because you do not like the GM's Move in trading 2 #1's for a premier WR. The #1 rated WR in the Draft. If Idzik had done that he would have been a hero in this city. What happens if we trade up for Marriota giving up 2 #1's? If Marrone is the coach, whats to say he does not opt out his contract. Marrone was the coach, coach your team. He was not the GM. So you got a young QB and you give him a weapon like Watkins and your coach is going to cry over it.

If you are a smart football talent evaluator you knew there was no reason to trade up for Watkins in last years draft. why? IDK Maybe because Marrone a smart football guy agreed with a fan like me and knew guys like Evans, Odell Beckham Jr were not much of a drop off. As well as possibly feeling like your young QB wasn't the guy. I personally would not have done backflips and praised Idzik if he traded up to get Watkins (hindsight now I would have) at the time... Draft was so deep at WR only a terrible GM could whiff on not getting a good one. Well unfortunately for us a terrible GM is what we had..

FYI - I loved Shaq Evans in college. He has a chance to be a good WR in this league but we needed a ODB kinda of WR and Evans will be Decker like. In a year or two.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 3:32

Agreed Lou, because the marginal utility to the team of that other first round pick is far greater than the incremental difference between Sammy Watkins and whichever WR would have fallen to them at their original slot (#9). You only trade up like that for a true difference maker, which in this case would equal "QB". It was a dumb move, and I don't blame Marrone for being ticked off about it.

I am not sure Shaq Evans will ever be "Decker-like", however. He's a few inches shorter and really didn't show anything in camp before he was hurt. I don't see a contract like the one we signed Decker to in Evans' future. I seriously question whether he'll even make the team in 2015, since he'll have to beat out the guys we finished the season with plus whoever the new GM drafts.
    AFA2017
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by AFA2017 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 5:22

Okay, I now understand the Marrone deal with regards to ownership and don't hold that against him. I still disagree with the Watkins trade. Who expected Beckham to have the year he had (Cy didn't)! The Bills are drafting 19th. Its not like they are drafting 6th. They rolled the dice and traded for a gem. Its not like they traded up for Shaq Evans and got crap out of it. They went for the best WR on the board. Look at Green, Julio Jones. Teams trading 2 #1's for difference makers. Would you have traded 2 #1's for CB's Sherman or Revis non QB's. If you said No, Okay, your little secret!
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 7:52

AFA2017 wrote:Okay, I now understand the Marrone deal with regards to ownership and don't hold that against him. I still disagree with the Watkins trade. Who expected Beckham to have the year he had (Cy didn't)! The Bills are drafting 19th. Its not like they are drafting 6th. They rolled the dice and traded for a gem. Its not like they traded up for Shaq Evans and got crap out of it. They went for the best WR on the board. Look at Green, Julio Jones. Teams trading 2 #1's for difference makers. Would you have traded 2 #1's for CB's Sherman or Revis non QB's. If you said No, Okay, your little secret!

Not correct. The 2014 pick the Bills traded as part of the deal that enabled them to select Sammy Watkins was the 9th pick, not the 19th. So they gave up their 2015 1st round and 4th round picks to move up 5 slots in the 1st round of the 2014 draft.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 8:43

AFA2017 wrote:Okay, I now understand the Marrone deal with regards to ownership and don't hold that against him. I still disagree with the Watkins trade. Who expected Beckham to have the year he had (Cy didn't)! The Bills are drafting 19th. Its not like they are drafting 6th. They rolled the dice and traded for a gem. Its not like they traded up for Shaq Evans and got crap out of it. They went for the best WR on the board. Look at Green, Julio Jones. Teams trading 2 #1's for difference makers. Would you have traded 2 #1's for CB's Sherman or Revis non QB's. If you said No, Okay, your little secret!

Cy and I were wrong about Benjamin, but Cy was 100% right on Beckham.  Beckham was his #2 after Watkins.  I don't agree that Cy didn't believe Beckham could be this good.  I wAsnt a fan of Beckham because he benches The same amount as my 5 year old daughter, but he looks like the next Tory Holt to me now (ie special).  Cy always wanted him in Green & White.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 9:20

I did not know that Bowles defense ranked so low in those categories. I am still very much in the Quinn camp. I think there will be some competition for him, particularly from the 49ers, unless they go with someone like Shanahan or Gase. The whole Tannenbaum agency thing could create an issue. Hopefully that will not affect Quinn's decision. My guess is that Quinn will have multiple offers to choose from, and the Jets are going to need to make a very competitive offer to get him.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 9:25

LIJETFAN wrote:I did not know that Bowles defense ranked so low in those categories.  I am still very much in the Quinn camp.  I think there will be some competition for him, particularly from the 49ers, unless they go with someone like Shanahan or Gase.  The whole Tannenbaum agency thing could create an issue.  Hopefully that will not affect Quinn's decision.  My guess is that Quinn will have multiple offers to choose from, and the Jets are going to need to make a very competitive offer to get him.  

Exactly how I feel.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 9:29

to be fair to bowles, that team was decimated by injuries and for the end of the year, had to play with inept QBs and no running game, which put undue pressure on the defense. when your team only gains 70 yards in a total game, it's hard for a defense to hold up. and despite giving up a lot of yardage, they still finished 5 in scoring defense.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 9:32

hobson54 wrote:to be fair to bowles, that team was decimated by injuries and for the end of the year, had to play with inept QBs and no running game, which put undue pressure on the defense.  when your team only gains 70 yards in a total game, it's hard for a defense to hold up.  and despite giving up a lot of yardage, they still finished 5 in scoring defense.

Hobson, what's your preference on HCs at this stage?
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 9:50

1(tie) - Marrone and Quinn (originally would have put Marrone #1 because of preference of offense over defense, but some of the "red flags" have me lowering it to a tie between the two)

3 - Bowles (originally would have been in top tier, but I think I've read he may be more comfortable in a smaller market)

4 - Kubiak

5 - Reich
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 11:28

hobson54 wrote:1(tie) - Marrone and Quinn (originally would have put Marrone #1 because of preference of offense over defense, but some of the "red flags" have me lowering it to a tie between the two)

3 - Bowles (originally would have been in top tier, but I think I've read he may be more comfortable in a smaller market)

4 - Kubiak

5 - Reich

Quinn seems to be a real positive energy guy from people who talk about him. I put him over Marrone because of that. He seems like he would bring that Pete Carroll energy to the locker room that gets football players excited to play while also being a very strong leader of men.

I think Marrone is also a very good candidate because he's smart and people see that in him, but his personality put him a hair below Quinn for me.

Im surprised you put Kubiak that high on your list, I assume you like him over Reich because of experience. What do you think of Mora Jr, absolutely not?
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 11:41

yeah, i put kubiak over reich because of his experience (in addition to being a HC, he was denver's OC from 1995-2003 so he has a couple of rings there). i didn't include mora jr since i haven't seen any confirmation he's actually a candidate. i also didn't include cable or lynn, despite them having interviewed, because they are way down on my list
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 12:01

hobson54 wrote:yeah, i put kubiak over reich because of his experience (in addition to being a HC, he was denver's OC from 1995-2003 so he has a couple of rings there).  i didn't include mora jr since i haven't seen any confirmation he's actually a candidate.  i also didn't include cable or lynn, despite them having interviewed, because they are way down on my list

Fair point on Kubiak. Im just not sure if he suffers from Norv disease, OC only.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 13:37

My list would be:

1. Quinn
    2. Reich
    3. Marrone
    4. Bowles
    5. Kubiak
    6. Lynn

Kubiak is so far down for me only because I believe as you said 55 - he's a coordinator. Not a good HC. He's best suited to that role. Maybe he learned from his mistakes in Houston, but his team never inspired me. His offense is good, so that is a plus.
    I think Reich is really intriguing, a bit of a wild card. Smart guy, good player when he played, did a really good job in San Diego. He could be a rising star. I think Quinn is by far my favorite choice from this pool. Marrone - ehh, too much bad press, mediocre track record. He might be a very good coach, and could work out well, but he's not my first choice. Anthony Lynn, interesting guy, did a really nice job with the running backs here. Probably too experienced, but his body of work as a position coach is strong. A bit of a wild card.
    AFA2017
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by AFA2017 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 17:09

gratefulJet and Superman.
    , Thanks for the input. My info was wrong
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 10:52

Does anyone else out there get a "gut feeling" that if we hire Marrone, that we'll be doing another HC search in less than 4 years.

Yes, he will bring discipline & structure to the Jets; however, after 6 years under Rex, how will our players respond to a no nonsense guy. Yes the Bills kicked our a$$ twice this year, and they improved to a winning record of 9-7, but how much of that success came from Marrone ? Pettine helped improve their defense, and the resurrection of Kyle Orton and drafting of Sammy Watkins defiantly helped their offense.

Being a true Jet homer, I will always support the HC & players, but my gut is telling me that Marrone is not an upgrade from Rex.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 12:57

cysporsche wrote:Does anyone else out there get a "gut feeling" that if we hire Marrone, that we'll be doing another HC search in less than 4 years.

Yes, he will bring discipline & structure to the Jets; however, after 6 years under Rex, how will our players respond to a no nonsense guy. Yes the Bills kicked our a$$ twice this year, and they improved to a winning record of 9-7, but how much of that success came from Marrone ? Pettine helped improve their defense, and the resurrection of Kyle Orton and drafting of Sammy Watkins defiantly helped their offense.

Being a true Jet homer, I will always support the HC & players, but my gut is telling me that Marrone is not an upgrade from Rex.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    The guys who don't respond well to it should be out of here, anyway. Honestly, they had the epitome of a players' coach in Rex, and have not had a winning season in four years. The team is only getting what it deserves.

Marrone may not be an upgrade, but he is a fresh approach. Right now, the team needs a fresh approach, because they were getting lazy under Rex's "no accountability" attitude.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 13:04

SackExchange wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:Does anyone else out there get a "gut feeling" that if we hire Marrone, that we'll be doing another HC search in less than 4 years.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    The guys who don't respond well to it should be out of here, anyway. Honestly, they had the epitome of a players' coach in Rex, and have not had a winning season in four years. The team is only getting what it deserves.

Marrone may not be an upgrade, but he is a fresh approach. Right now, the team needs a fresh approach, because they were getting lazy under Rex's "no accountability" attitude.

Completely disagree with the team getting lazy and a fresh approach is needed because of that... I think if Rex had a QB this is a winning team... Simple as that.. This team played hard.. Never got lazy, never gave up...

But Unfortunately we need a fresh approach because Woody got it wrong hiring Idzik. NO way he could fire Idzik and keep Rex had to completely take the team in a new direction.... I don't think Marrone is an upgrade but if he works well with the GM and they find a QB, it will be.

With that said I want Bowles
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 13:27

lnap23 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

Completely disagree with the team getting lazy and a fresh approach is needed because of that... I think if Rex had a QB this is a winning team... Simple as that.. This team played hard.. Never got lazy, never gave up...

But Unfortunately we need a fresh approach because Woody got it wrong hiring Idzik.   NO way he could fire Idzik and keep Rex had to completely take the team in a new direction....   I don't think Marrone is an upgrade but if he works well with the GM and they find a QB, it will be.  

With that said I want Bowles
    I disagree. I think the team got very lazy. They loved playing for Rex, but they didn't seem to love preparing hard or practicing hard for him. And they didn't seem to love winning for him.

Maybe they showed up on Sundays, but they didn't show up the rest of the week, where the games are really won and lost. Demario Davis calls out the team for its lax practices. Geno goes to a movie the night before a game, when he needs as much time as he can get studying. Vick admits that he was unprepared to enter the game when Geno got pulled. Mistakes in fundamentals, bad penalties, all sorts of mental mistakes happened on a weekly basis.

This team was not held accountable, and therefore did not do the things necessary to be ready for Sunday. Sure, gameday, they may be going 100%, but they sure weren't on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 14:08

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 8 May 2024 - 16:00