Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+10
football51
NCgreen12
SackExchange
Seaver
LIJETFAN
hobson54
Superman55
NickSINYC
GratefulJet
Sarge
14 posters

Marrone vs Quinn?

Poll

Marrone or Quinn.....

[ 0 ]
    Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_left0%Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_left0%Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_left20%Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_left13%Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_left33%Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_right [33%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_left33%Marrone vs Quinn? Bar_right [33%] 

Total Votes: 15
    Poll closed
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Marrone vs Quinn? Empty Marrone vs Quinn?

Post by Sarge Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 23:15

If it came down to former Bills coach Doug Marrone and Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn as next Jets coach, who would you pick?
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Marrone vs Quinn? Empty Re: Marrone vs Quinn?

Post by GratefulJet Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 23:19

Voted Quinn because I'm eager to see how quickly Mehta turns against him.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 23:29

Voted difficult but Marrone. Quinn has the DC thing dropping him slightly. I do think Quinn gets the job though and I will still be pleased with that option.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 23:33

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 9:18

i've flipped my position from before (had marrone slightly ahead) and voted extremely close, but quinn
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 9:40

hobson54 wrote:i've flipped my position from before (had marrone slightly ahead) and voted extremely close, but quinn

You're aloud to change your mind. I'm not. But you are, sir.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 9:54

thanks for telling me i'm aloud.  i thought i was being quiet... Very Happy

not sure what your post meant. i don't think going from slight lean on marrone to slight lean on quinn is quite the same as the diametrically opposed positions you've taken on things like love of geno, love of the draft class, etc... not sure why you even felt the need to make that comment unless you want to revisit this topic?
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 10:18

Quinn by a wide margin. Marrone is my third choice and a distant third.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 10:35

hobson54 wrote:thanks for telling me i'm aloud.  i thought i was being quiet... Very Happy

not sure what your post meant.  i don't think going from slight lean on marrone to slight lean on quinn is quite the same as the diametrically opposed positions you've taken on things like love of geno, love of the draft class, etc...  not sure why you even felt the need to make that comment unless you want to revisit this topic?

Well, I think its okay to say, I liked the Sanchez pick at the time because we needed a QB, but now I wish we went in another direction because Sanchez wasn't the QB we needed.

After watching 5 years of Sanchez, or 2 years of Kyle Wilson, or 2 years of Stephen Hill, its okay to say I liked the Stephen Hill pick at the time because of the tremendous upside...after watching him for 2 years, man, that was a bad pick (I thinks its okay to say that, again, I've noticed that isnt okay on this site, but big picture, it should be okay).

I guess if you liked something a few days ago, and change your mind now, maybe its okay. I cant keep up with the rules of this page, but I am pretty sure you're not aloud to change your mind on this site, unless you're you, SE, 51, or older than 50 because you cant remember what you said 2 years ago (i've noticed that from a certain fan on this site too). affraid
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 10:48

LIJETFAN wrote:Quinn by a wide margin.  Marrone is my third choice and a distant third.  

I feel that way about Quinn too (though Marrone is a distant second, not 3rd for me).

His coaching style and energy really impresses me. I love his approach to the game and everyone loves him, players, coaches, GMs, those around the league really adore his refreshing approach to the game: we're going to do what we do, which is very simple, but we're going to do it very well...likely better than what you do. And though what we do is simple, it lets our players play with their hair on fire, because they do what they do super fast. if your players have to think, too late, we're on you.

I also like he's partnered with Shanahan who specializes and designing offenses to player's capabilities...including what he did with RG3.

RG3's issues have been off the field related, lack of studying, getting busted cheating with his wife after his rookie year at training camp and dealing with that, lack of maturity, injury, etc, etc. His down fall was on him more than the Shanahans.

Quinn would be a very impressive hire, IMO. I adore his approach to the game and would enjoy that energy and watching his philosophies weekly.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 11:06

Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:thanks for telling me i'm aloud.  i thought i was being quiet... Very Happy

not sure what your post meant.  i don't think going from slight lean on marrone to slight lean on quinn is quite the same as the diametrically opposed positions you've taken on things like love of geno, love of the draft class, etc...  not sure why you even felt the need to make that comment unless you want to revisit this topic?

Well, I think its okay to say, I liked the Sanchez pick at the time because we needed a QB, but now I wish we went in another direction because Sanchez wasn't the QB we needed.

After watching 5 years of Sanchez, or 2 years of Kyle Wilson, or 2 years of Stephen Hill, its okay to say I liked the Stephen Hill pick at the time because of the tremendous upside...after watching him for 2 years, man, that was a bad pick (I thinks its okay to say that, again, I've noticed that isnt okay on this site, but big picture, it should be okay).

I guess if you liked something a few days ago, and change your mind now, maybe its okay.  I cant keep up with the rules of this page, but I am pretty sure you're not aloud to change your mind on this site, unless you're you, SE, 51, or older than 50 because you cant remember what you said 2 years ago (i've noticed that from a certain fan on this site too). affraid

first off, the word is allowed, not aloud.

second, i don't even know why you felt the need to bring this up in the first place. maybe you didn't like people calling you out for loving the pryor, amaro and mcdougle picks only to reverse direction 180 degrees after a few months when you said how awful idzik was in drafting. or maybe you didn't like how people pointed out that you were geno's biggest cheerleader last off-season, going so far as to mock those that questioned him, only to change your direction 180 degrees and say how awful he was. or maybe you didn't like people pointing out how much you seemed to love idzik's off-season plan of stocking up on CBs, only to reverse your position 180 degrees and say he was practically guilty of malpractice for not getting us any CBs. so i guess you want to try and one up me and want to make it like those complete reversals are comparable to me going from slightly in favor of marrone to slightly in favor of quinn.

if you want to feel that way, you are certainly ALLOWED. still not sure why you felt the need to bring it up in the first place...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 11:21

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

I guess if you liked something a few days ago, and change your mind now, maybe its okay.  I cant keep up with the rules of this page, but I am pretty sure you're not aloud to change your mind on this site, unless you're you, SE, 51, or older than 50 because you cant remember what you said 2 years ago (i've noticed that from a certain fan on this site too). affraid

first off, the word is allowed, not aloud.

second, i don't even know why you felt the need to bring this up in the first place.  maybe you didn't like people calling you out for loving the pryor, amaro and mcdougle picks only to reverse direction 180 degrees after a few months when you said how awful idzik was in drafting.  or maybe you didn't like how people pointed out that you were geno's biggest cheerleader last off-season, going so far as to mock those that questioned him, only to change your direction 180 degrees and say how awful he was.  or maybe you didn't like people pointing out how much you seemed to love idzik's off-season plan of stocking up on CBs, only to reverse your position 180 degrees and say he was practically guilty of malpractice for not getting us any CBs.  so i guess you want to try and one up me and want to make it like those complete reversals are comparable to me going from slightly in favor of marrone to slightly in favor of quinn.

if you want to feel that way, you are certainly ALLOWED.  still not sure why you felt the need to bring it up in the first place...

he did stock up on CBs, its too bad they were not very good.  The guy didn't have much of an eye for young talent.  But his practice squad steals looked good as the season progressed.

Also, I still like Geno.  I just find it funny the people who bash geno, love idzik...the guy who drafted geno and forced him to play.  Kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth to bash Geno's play and defend Idzik...when idzik's plan to turnaround the franchise was to be led by...Geno Smith.  

But new HC and new GM on the way...and they bring hope for the future, just like every draft pick.

Its okay to make a 180 a year or 2 from now after watching the draft pick or HC perform when you see the hope you had at the time of the hire/pick isnt coming to fruition.  Its allowed...for some people.

its okay for you, slight opinion change or big one.  No point in being so defensive.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 11:27

thanks for telling me it's allowed (and congrats on getting it right...3rd time is indeed the charm).

as to why i changed my mind on my slight lean (thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention), my slight lean towards marrone was purely based on offense over defense coach. but the more i've read about quinn, and the few red flags that have popped up on marrone, led to my switch in slight preference.

i'm sure everyone here is thrilled to read this back-and-forth. real glad you brought this to everyone's attention... Rolling Eyes
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 11:54

hobson54 wrote:thanks for telling me it's allowed (and congrats on getting it right...3rd time is indeed the charm).  

as to why i changed my mind on my slight lean (thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention), my slight lean towards marrone was purely based on offense over defense coach.  but the more i've read about quinn, and the few red flags that have popped up on marrone, led to my switch in slight preference.

i'm sure everyone here is thrilled to read this back-and-forth.  real glad you brought this to everyone's attention... Rolling Eyes

Eh, if I was them I'd skip over it. No one is forcing them to read anything, but Im sure they appreciate your concern.

Back to the topic though, I never really took the red flags too seriously, do you? I honestly didnt think you would based on the agenda driven media, when so many people think Marrone is such a good coach.

While I think Quinn is better, I've read so many positive reviews on Marrone (Mawae and Martin I respect a lot, as I am sure most jets fans do), and that outweighs some of these reports for me.

The fact the Bills were trying to lock him into an extension tells me what they thought of him...and so many jets players loving him is why he's my #2. Are you really concerned about the red flags, or for you are they more just "noted" as they are for me?
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 12:19

i don't take the red flags all too seriously. i mean i still have marrone as my close second choice.

but nevertheless, they are red flags, that do raise some "potential" concerns which i think need to be investigated by woody and his consultants. and i assume they are doing their proper diligence. so i wouldn't be upset if he was hired. but i guess it was enough, coupled with reading some more on quinn and the glowing recommendations he's been getting, to have me invert my order of slight preference. not that my order means anything.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 13:11

Rich Cimini @RichCimini · 10m 10 minutes ago
    If Sea wins NFC title, Jets can have 2nd interview w/ leading HC candidate Dan Quinn during SB bye wk. But no deal allowed until after SB.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 13:23

NickSINYC wrote:Rich Cimini @RichCimini  ·  10m 10 minutes ago
    If Sea wins NFC title, Jets can have 2nd interview w/ leading HC candidate Dan Quinn during SB bye wk. But no deal allowed until after SB.

Since Bowles is behind Marrone and Quinn for me, I'd like to see a team fill one of the opening with him soon. Also hope the Sparano announcement is made sooner than later in Oakland.

I'd like to see the Jets have to be patient and wait for Quinn while other teams fill their spots.

I can see some teams not wanting to wait to fill the coaching spot since the NFL combine was moved up this year till 2 weeks after the Super Bowl...but I think Quinn is worth the wait.

get the GM in place now and have him prepping ASAP.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 13:31

the biggest problem with waiting for quinn (assuming seattle advances far in the playoffs) is you delay the ability to put together a coaching staff. now i'm sure he can start assembling a staff unofficially (such as the rumored bringing in kyle shannahan as OC), but that is more difficult to do when competing against 5 other teams putting together a staff, plus the other coaching movement around the league.

that said, i don't think you hire coach A over coach B to expedite the process if coach B is your preferred candidate.

so to sum up...let's go panthers!!! Very Happy
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 13:45

hobson54 wrote:the biggest problem with waiting for quinn (assuming seattle advances far in the playoffs) is you delay the ability to put together a coaching staff.  now i'm sure he can start assembling a staff unofficially (such as the rumored bringing in kyle shannahan as OC), but that is more difficult to do when competing against 5 other teams putting together a staff, plus the other coaching movement around the league.

that said, i don't think you hire coach A over coach B to expedite the process if coach B is your preferred candidate.

so to sum up...let's go panthers!!! Very Happy

I know I will be rooting hard against the Seahawks tomorrow
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 14:11

I'm for Quinn......but the pessimist side in me worries about getting him as more and more good things are being written about him. The football gods won't let the Jets get this right, will they?
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 14:12

Superman55 wrote:

We're all allowed to change our minds.

The problem comes when you lobby hard for a guy, who may or may not be named Geno, and then use the drafting of Geno as more fodder in your calls to get Idzik fired. Basically, you jump up and down for the guy to do something, he does it, and when it doesn't work, you jump up and down for him to get canned over it. I can't say I've ever done that, even when I have changed my mind.

Besides, I've often said on here I've been wrong. I'd be shocked if you were even capable of saying that.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 14:16

SackExchange wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

We're all allowed to change our minds.

The problem comes when you lobby hard for a guy, who may or may not be named Geno, and then use the drafting of Geno as more fodder in your calls to get Idzik fired.

Besides, I've often said on here I've been wrong. I'd be shocked if you were even capable of saying that.

Well, I've said on 865 thread + 3 that I was wrong about benjamin...you can make this 865 + 4 if you want.

Regarding this silly comment:

"The problem comes when you lobby hard for a guy, who may or may not be named Geno, and then use the drafting of Geno as more fodder in your calls to get Idzik fired."

I wonder how different that is to blaming everything wrong with the team on Geno/QB and then saying it's not fair to assess Idzik yet in the next thread...
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 14:17

I wonder that, too. And I'm not sure who may have done that.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 14:20

SackExchange wrote:I wonder that, too. And I'm not sure who may have done that.

I bet you do. I bet you do.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 14:21

I keep it simple.....both Geno and Idzik suck. Didn't like either pick and really didn't like their performances.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 13:30