A New Community for Jets Fans


    Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Share

    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 474
    Points : 11685
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by cysporsche on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 12:27

    If that old saying,"you are what your record is", is true, we are screwed. Marrone was 25-25 in College and 15-17 with the Bills. As a HC he is 40-42, is that an upgrade from Rex ?

    Go Jets...Cyborg

    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 370
    Points : 43937
    Join date : 2014-09-12

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by hobson54 on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 12:56

    cysporsche wrote:If that old saying,"you are what your record is", is true, we are screwed. Marrone was 25-25 in College and 15-17 with the Bills. As a HC he is 40-42, is that an upgrade from Rex ?

    Go Jets...Cyborg

    with all due respect, that's a pretty simplistic way of looking at his record. you should also consider the state of the respective teams when he took over.

    at syracuse, the 4 years prior to marrone taking over, they were 1-10, 4-8, 2-10 and 3-9, for a grand total of 10-37. in his 2nd year, marrone had the team 8-5, including winning a bowl game. so while 25-25 sounds mediocre, it was a tremendous improvement over his predecessor.

    the bills had not had a winning season since 2004. between 2008-2012, the finished last in the division every single year. so to turn that around to a 9-7 team in 2 years is pretty solid, considering they had no QB of note. now i'm not saying it's a spectacular achievement, but not one so easily dismissed.

    add in they beat the pats (granted pats were resting some starters), all 4 teams in the nfc north (including the packers and lions) and beat the jets by a combined 81-26, and it was a pretty decent year.

    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

    Posts : 190
    Points : 3961
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by LIJETFAN on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 13:11

    I just heard a commentary by Francesca on the search. I don't like Francesca at all. He is hypercritical of everyone and everything. In the case though his analysis was spot on. His points were that hiring someone like Marrone is an uninspired hire. And his track record is mediocre at best. He said there are two approaches - you go out and find the guy who has a proven track record like Jim Harbaugh, or you try to find the next great head coach who is undiscovered, like John Harbaugh, who was a special teams coach. In my opinion, he's one of the best coaches in the game.

    I am not sure who that person is in this class of candidates. Quinn is the only one that has a championship pedigree that the Jets are considering. (Hobson that was my point, but yes, you are right about Rex too). But there must be other out-of-the-box candidates out there that could be really good hires. Frank Reich could be a really interesting hire. I know he will probably wind up with the Bills, but I could see him being a diamond in the rough type of coach.

    My point is that the Jets should leave no stone unturned and not simply jump at Marrone or any one else because they are available. Get the GM in place and let that person have substantial input as well. And if Quinn is the guy or one of the other playoff coaches, than wait it out. If Marrone gets hired by another team so be it. The Jets should find the right guy, not the guy that is available.

    I agree with Francesca that hiring Doug Marrone would be an uninspired decision. He's "turned around" two programs, but he has never won anything. What is his record against the Pats? I am guessing it is not very good. The first question a prospective coach should be able to answer is, How do you want to build a championship team that can win the division and advance in the playoffs? It starts with beating the Pats. Find the coach that has the chops to do that. I think whoever comes in here needs to be creative, innovative and aggressive on offense and defense. Find the coach with those kind of chops and a new approach. It might work, it might not, but at least it is daring to be great. Marrone might be a safe hire, but it is hardly a bold move. And I think it will take a bold move to turn this franchise around and make them a legitimate championship caliber team.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2972
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 13:45

    LIJETFAN wrote:I just heard a commentary by Francesca on the search.  I don't like Francesca at all.  He is hypercritical of everyone and everything.  In the case though his analysis was spot on.  His points were that hiring someone like Marrone is an uninspired hire.  And his track record is mediocre at best.  He said there are two approaches - you go out and find the guy who has a proven track record like Jim Harbaugh, or you try to find the next great head coach who is undiscovered, like John Harbaugh, who was a special teams coach.  In my opinion, he's one of the best coaches in the game.  

    I am not sure who that person is in this class of candidates.  Quinn is the only one that has a championship pedigree that the Jets are considering.  (Hobson that was my point, but yes, you are right about Rex too).  But there must be other out-of-the-box candidates out there that could be really good hires.  Frank Reich could be a really interesting hire.  I know he will probably wind up with the Bills, but I could see him being a diamond in the rough type of coach.  

    My point is that the Jets should leave no stone unturned and not simply jump at Marrone or any one else because they are available.  Get the GM in place and let that person have substantial input as well.  And if Quinn is the guy or one of the other playoff coaches, than wait it out.  If Marrone gets hired by another team so be it.  The Jets should find the right guy, not the guy that is available.  

    I agree with Francesca that hiring Doug Marrone would be an uninspired decision.  He's "turned around" two programs, but he has never won anything.  What is his record against the Pats?  I am guessing it is not very good.  The first question a prospective coach should be able to answer is,  How do you want to build a championship team that can win the division and advance in the playoffs?  It starts with beating the Pats.  Find the coach that has the chops to do that.  I think whoever comes in here needs to be creative, innovative and aggressive on offense and defense.  Find the coach with those kind of chops and a new approach.  It might work, it might not, but at least it is daring to be great.  Marrone might be a safe hire, but it is hardly a bold move.  And I think it will take a bold move to turn this franchise around and make them a legitimate championship caliber team.  

    I disagree about Marrone being uninspiring. When you inherit a couple of dumpster fires (Credit to Cimini on that description), what is the expectation? To turn them into a championship caliber team immediately? I think Marrone, as you detailed above, did a pretty damn impressive job with what he stepped into. Who knows what Marrone's ceiling is as a coach. I'm not so confident in rolling the dice on another coordinator like Reich. Too much risk involved. Get a guy who's shown he can get more out of the talent that he has. Marrone has done that. I believe Marrone is a better head coach than Rex Ryan.

    And can you imagine what would happen around here if the Jets hired Reich, and he flopped? He hasn't proven nearly as much as Marrone has.

    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 370
    Points : 43937
    Join date : 2014-09-12

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by hobson54 on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 14:01

    LIJETFAN wrote:I just heard a commentary by Francesca on the search.  I don't like Francesca at all.  He is hypercritical of everyone and everything.  In the case though his analysis was spot on.  His points were that hiring someone like Marrone is an uninspired hire.  And his track record is mediocre at best.  He said there are two approaches - you go out and find the guy who has a proven track record like Jim Harbaugh, or you try to find the next great head coach who is undiscovered, like John Harbaugh, who was a special teams coach.  In my opinion, he's one of the best coaches in the game.  

    I am not sure who that person is in this class of candidates.  Quinn is the only one that has a championship pedigree that the Jets are considering.  (Hobson that was my point, but yes, you are right about Rex too).  But there must be other out-of-the-box candidates out there that could be really good hires.  Frank Reich could be a really interesting hire.  I know he will probably wind up with the Bills, but I could see him being a diamond in the rough type of coach.  

    My point is that the Jets should leave no stone unturned and not simply jump at Marrone or any one else because they are available.  Get the GM in place and let that person have substantial input as well.  And if Quinn is the guy or one of the other playoff coaches, than wait it out.  If Marrone gets hired by another team so be it.  The Jets should find the right guy, not the guy that is available.  

    I agree with Francesca that hiring Doug Marrone would be an uninspired decision.  He's "turned around" two programs, but he has never won anything.  What is his record against the Pats?  I am guessing it is not very good.  The first question a prospective coach should be able to answer is,  How do you want to build a championship team that can win the division and advance in the playoffs?  It starts with beating the Pats.  Find the coach that has the chops to do that.  I think whoever comes in here needs to be creative, innovative and aggressive on offense and defense.  Find the coach with those kind of chops and a new approach.  It might work, it might not, but at least it is daring to be great.  Marrone might be a safe hire, but it is hardly a bold move.  And I think it will take a bold move to turn this franchise around and make them a legitimate championship caliber team.  

    a few thoughts:

    first, i also like quinn, so i'd have no problem with him. and the jets have already interviewed him, so it's not like he isn't getting a look. i also previously said i like bowles, but it sounds like he may be better suited for a smaller market job. so to me, quinn and marrone are my top 2 choices, and if i had to choose a side of the ball for a new HC to have expertise, i'd pick offense.

    next, holding a coach's record against the pats is hardly fair. they only lost 8 games in the 2 years marrone has been a head coach (he has 1 of the 8 wins). considering the talent disparity on the two teams, especially at QB (brady vs. manuel or orton???), this really shouldn't be a criteria in evaluating a coaching candidate. if coaches around the league knew the answer on how to beat the pats, they wouldn't be 12-4 seemingly every year.

    as to reich, what exactly makes him an interesting hire and a potential diamond in the rough? he has 1 year of coordinator-level experience (marrone served for 3 years as OC under sean payton, which to me trumps reich's 1 year under mccoy in SD). just because he is unproven doesn't mean he has a higher ceiling.

    we don't know what type of coach marrone will ultimately be. he did a very good job turning around a terrible syracuse program. and in 2 years, he changed the trajectory in buffalo. now maybe 9 or 10 wins is his ceiling. but we don't know that is the case. i don't think we should look at unproven candidates as having higher ceilings than a guy who has only a couple of years of nfl HC experience. plenty of coaches got better as they went along.

    there aren't any slam dunk candidates out there. no one knows if quinn, bowles, or reich become the next great coaches or the next dime-a-dozen coordinator who become mediocre or worse head coaches. i don't think it's fair to label their potential ceiling as higher than marrone because marrone has 2 years of pro HC experience and took over a terrible team, and those guys haven't yet gotten a chance.

    now i'm not saying they should hire marrone because he has some experience and the others do not. but i wouldn't limit marrone's ceiling to what he achieved at an historically awful collegiate program and 2 years in buffalo.

    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

    Posts : 187
    Points : 4386
    Join date : 2014-09-04
    Age : 68
    Location : Scottsdale AZ

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by soj on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 15:25

    hobson54 wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:I just heard a commentary by Francesca on the search.  I don't like Francesca at all.  He is hypercritical of everyone and everything.  In the case though his analysis was spot on.  His points were that hiring someone like Marrone is an uninspired hire.  And his track record is mediocre at best.  He said there are two approaches - you go out and find the guy who has a proven track record like Jim Harbaugh, or you try to find the next great head coach who is undiscovered, like John Harbaugh, who was a special teams coach.  In my opinion, he's one of the best coaches in the game.  

    I am not sure who that person is in this class of candidates.  Quinn is the only one that has a championship pedigree that the Jets are considering.  (Hobson that was my point, but yes, you are right about Rex too).  But there must be other out-of-the-box candidates out there that could be really good hires.  Frank Reich could be a really interesting hire.  I know he will probably wind up with the Bills, but I could see him being a diamond in the rough type of coach.  

    My point is that the Jets should leave no stone unturned and not simply jump at Marrone or any one else because they are available.  Get the GM in place and let that person have substantial input as well.  And if Quinn is the guy or one of the other playoff coaches, than wait it out.  If Marrone gets hired by another team so be it.  The Jets should find the right guy, not the guy that is available.  

    I agree with Francesca that hiring Doug Marrone would be an uninspired decision.  He's "turned around" two programs, but he has never won anything.  What is his record against the Pats?  I am guessing it is not very good.  The first question a prospective coach should be able to answer is,  How do you want to build a championship team that can win the division and advance in the playoffs?  It starts with beating the Pats.  Find the coach that has the chops to do that.  I think whoever comes in here needs to be creative, innovative and aggressive on offense and defense.  Find the coach with those kind of chops and a new approach.  It might work, it might not, but at least it is daring to be great.  Marrone might be a safe hire, but it is hardly a bold move.  And I think it will take a bold move to turn this franchise around and make them a legitimate championship caliber team.  

    a few thoughts:

    first, i also like quinn, so i'd have no problem with him.  and the jets have already interviewed him, so it's not like he isn't getting a look.  i also previously said i like bowles, but it sounds like he may be better suited for a smaller market job.  so to me, quinn and marrone are my top 2 choices, and if i had to choose a side of the ball for a new HC to have expertise, i'd pick offense.  

    next, holding a coach's record against the pats is hardly fair.  they only lost 8 games in the 2 years marrone has been a head coach (he has 1 of the 8 wins).  considering the talent disparity on the two teams, especially at QB (brady vs. manuel or orton???), this really shouldn't be a criteria in evaluating a coaching candidate.  if coaches around the league knew the answer on how to beat the pats, they wouldn't be 12-4 seemingly every year.

    as to reich, what exactly makes him an interesting hire and a potential diamond in the rough?  he has 1 year of coordinator-level experience (marrone served for 3 years as OC under sean payton, which to me trumps reich's 1 year under mccoy in SD).  just because he is unproven doesn't mean he has a higher ceiling.

    we don't know what type of coach marrone will ultimately be.  he did a very good job turning around a terrible syracuse program.  and in 2 years, he changed the trajectory in buffalo.  now maybe 9 or 10 wins is his ceiling.  but we don't know that is the case.  i don't think we should look at unproven candidates as having higher ceilings than a guy who has only a couple of years of nfl HC experience.  plenty of coaches got better as they went along.

    there aren't any slam dunk candidates out there.  no one knows if quinn, bowles, or reich become the next great coaches or the next dime-a-dozen coordinator who become mediocre or worse head coaches.  i don't think it's fair to label their potential ceiling as higher than marrone because marrone has 2 years of pro HC experience and took over a terrible team, and those guys haven't yet gotten a chance.

    now i'm not saying they should hire marrone because he has some experience and the others do not.  but i wouldn't limit marrone's ceiling to what he achieved at an historically awful collegiate program and 2 years in buffalo.


    Well said and I agree ... I posted on Scout that IMHO Marrone is a better HC then Rex (3-1 record) and if he brings discipline and accountability to this undisciplined team...then count me in. I want the team to play competitively, be physical and play smart... if he can do that then I am with him.

    as for Fatso he is a opinionated blowhard so I say **** him.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19601
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by Superman55 on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 17:48

    Bob Cusullo assistant Syracuse coach on ESpN radio ripping Marrone right now for being selfish, greedy, and self-centered.

    Bob - got news for you, most NFL coaches are (look at Parcells), and you saying that about Doug likely helps ensure you never reach heights above being an assistant coach.
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42481
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 43

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by SackExchange on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 17:49

    Is anyone surprised that as soon as someone emerges as a favorite for the Jets' HC job, they have their character immediately assassinated? It's so predictable.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19601
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by Superman55 on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 17:51

    SackExchange wrote:Is anyone surprised that as soon as someone emerges as a favorite for the Jets' HC job, they have their character immediately assassinated? It's so predictable.

    I wonder if its a headache some candidates just prefer to avoid.

    What do you think of Marrone?
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42481
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 43

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by SackExchange on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 18:02

    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:Is anyone surprised that as soon as someone emerges as a favorite for the Jets' HC job, they have their character immediately assassinated? It's so predictable.

    I wonder if its a headache some candidates just prefer to avoid.

    What do you think of Marrone?
    I am moderately warmer than lukewarm about Marrone. There are a few things I really like.

    1. Jets ties
    2. NY ties
    3. Offensive guy
    4. Abrasive (After Rex, a little sandpaper would be welcome with this team)
    5. Accountability (Again, after Rex, much-needed)

    There are some things I don't like.

    1. Doesn't come with a great HC pedigree (Though no candidate this year does)
    2. Alienates players, assistants, front office guys
    3. Loyalty issues
    4. Hasn't established a great offense or QB in Buffalo

    I am not a huge proponent of change for change's sake, but his attitude would counteract a lot of the bad habits the team developed in six years under Rex.

    If Marrone was hired, I would not be doing cartwheels, but I would probably break a smile.
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42481
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 43

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by SackExchange on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 18:04

    I do think there is something to some candidates avoiding this team because of the press and, to a lesser extent, the extreme elements of the fan base.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19601
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by Superman55 on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 18:11

    SackExchange wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:Is anyone surprised that as soon as someone emerges as a favorite for the Jets' HC job, they have their character immediately assassinated? It's so predictable.

    I wonder if its a headache some candidates just prefer to avoid.

    What do you think of Marrone?
    I am moderately warmer than lukewarm about Marrone. There are a few things I really like.

    1. Jets ties
    2. NY ties
    3. Offensive guy
    4. Abrasive (After Rex, a little sandpaper would be welcome with this team)
    5. Accountability (Again, after Rex, much-needed)

    There are some things I don't like.

    1. Doesn't come with a great HC pedigree (Though no candidate this year does)
    2. Alienates players, assistants, front office guys
    3. Loyalty issues
    4. Hasn't established a great offense or QB in Buffalo

    I am not a huge proponent of change for change's sake, but his attitude would counteract a lot of the bad habits the team developed in six years under Rex.

    If Marrone was hired, I would not be doing cartwheels, but I would probably break a smile.

    Call me crazy, and it wouldnt be the First time, but does he remind you of Belichik a little?  

    Marrone weird nature with the Bills seemed weird similar to the issues Bill had in Cleveland.  Some people even felt Bill was just turning the program around when cut loose.  Both Parcells guys and equally eccentric.  

    He's one I'd be cautiously optimistic about...but I think I would prefer Quinn if I could have anyone.

    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 474
    Points : 11685
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by cysporsche on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 18:26

    Why keep hiring mediocrity, go for the best ! Bring in Urban Meyer Jan. 10th and offer him a huge deal. This guy is a natural leader of players. He reminds me of the Harbaugh brothers. With an .844 WP % why not.

    Cable - Wife beater !
    Mora - Been fired twice as a HC already !
    Morrone - Is a 6'5"/270 bully from what I hear. You either love him or hate him.
    Reicht - Going to Buffalo.

    I'm tired of NFL retreads, let's go after Urban ! cheers

    Go Jets...Cyborg
    avatar
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 685
    Points : 13421
    Join date : 2014-08-28
    Location : Alabama

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by Sarge on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 18:49

    Yeah, because no one could find anything bad to say about Urban Meyer Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42481
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 43

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by SackExchange on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 20:31

    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:Is anyone surprised that as soon as someone emerges as a favorite for the Jets' HC job, they have their character immediately assassinated? It's so predictable.

    I wonder if its a headache some candidates just prefer to avoid.

    What do you think of Marrone?
    I am moderately warmer than lukewarm about Marrone. There are a few things I really like.

    1. Jets ties
    2. NY ties
    3. Offensive guy
    4. Abrasive (After Rex, a little sandpaper would be welcome with this team)
    5. Accountability (Again, after Rex, much-needed)

    There are some things I don't like.

    1. Doesn't come with a great HC pedigree (Though no candidate this year does)
    2. Alienates players, assistants, front office guys
    3. Loyalty issues
    4. Hasn't established a great offense or QB in Buffalo

    I am not a huge proponent of change for change's sake, but his attitude would counteract a lot of the bad habits the team developed in six years under Rex.

    If Marrone was hired, I would not be doing cartwheels, but I would probably break a smile.

    Call me crazy, and it wouldnt be the First time, but does he remind you of Belichik a little?  

    Marrone weird nature with the Bills seemed weird similar to the issues Bill had in Cleveland.  Some people even felt Bill was just turning the program around when cut loose.  Both Parcells guys and equally eccentric.  

    He's one I'd be cautiously optimistic about...but I think I would prefer Quinn if I could have anyone.
    A bit. He's a control freak, just like Belichick.

    I'm not sure he has the X's and O's aptitude that Belichick had when he was starting out as a HC. Belichick was a film nut, spending all his time in the office, constantly. He pretty much didn't have a life.

    Still, it's a possibility. If the rumors out there about him being against the Manuel trade, it does say something about his eye for which QBs to avoid.
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42481
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 43

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by SackExchange on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 20:33

    Sarge wrote:Yeah, because no one could find anything bad to say about Urban Meyer Rolling Eyes
    Not sure Urban Meyer could have success in the NFL without all the covert brown paper bag drops of cash to recruits.
    avatar
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 685
    Points : 13421
    Join date : 2014-08-28
    Location : Alabama

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by Sarge on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 20:38

    Now the rumor du jour is that the Marrone interview didn't go well.

    It will be interesting to see who ends up where and when

    Here is a list of people who have interviewed based on just my recollection of various reports

    XX = Jets interviewed

    Doug Marrone XX
    Dan Quinn XX
    Todd Bowles XX
    Rex Ryan
    Pep Hamilton
    Josh McDaniels
    Adam Gase
    Tom Cable XX
    Jack Del Rio
    Frank Reich XX
    Mike Shanahan
    Teryl Austin
    Eric Mangini

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2972
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 20:38

    Is there anyone out there who DOESN'T have at least one person who doesn't like them?

    If you searched far and wide, and put your precious ego aside, I'm sure everyone would find someone who doesn't like you.

    Just food for thought in looking at this stuff coming out all of a sudden from a Syracuse assistant coach.
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42481
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 43

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by SackExchange on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 20:42

    Plenty of people don't care for me, I can assure you of that.

    As soon as a new frontrunner comes out, one of the hitmen (Mehta, Myers, Cimini) will bash that person.

    Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

    Posts : 55
    Points : 1270
    Join date : 2014-09-03

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by Hunter07 on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 20:56

    Marrone seems to have some Belichick in him, - key word is "some", just personality wise. Both apparently don't play well with others. - Which is why the Pats don't have anyone that's called a GM. - Belichick is the Director Of Football Operations & really does run the show - completely. That might be what Marrone would like - but may not be quite up to it - he's no Belichick.
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42481
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 43

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by SackExchange on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 21:05

    Here's how you know there is a HUGE fog of war.

    Cimini posts about Bowles and Reich coming in for interviews, but while there are whispers about the Marrone interview not going well, Cimini says it was "excellent."

    2. Marrone -- He spent Monday interviewing with the Falcons. His interview with the Jets was said to be excellent. He was the Jets' offensive-line coach from 2002 to 2005.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/48254/latest-on-jets-coaching-search-bowles-reich-on-deck?ex_cid=espnapi_public
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10720
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by NickSINYC on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 21:06

    Hunter07 wrote:Marrone seems to have some Belichick in him, - key word is "some", just personality wise. Both apparently don't play well with others. - Which is why the Pats don't have anyone that's called a GM. - Belichick is the Director Of Football Operations & really does run the show - completely. That might be what Marrone would like - but may not be quite up to it - he's no Belichick.


    I have no idea if Marrone will ever approach anything close to what BB is. I know this for a fact BB was not anything close to present BB 2 years in to his 1st HC job. To set a ceiling on Marrone at this point is unfair.
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10720
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by NickSINYC on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 21:10

    SackExchange wrote:Here's how you know there is a HUGE fog of war.

    Cimini posts about Bowles and Reich coming in for interviews, but while there are whispers about the Marrone interview not going well, Cimini says it was "excellent."

    2. Marrone -- He spent Monday interviewing with the Falcons. His interview with the Jets was said to be excellent. He was the Jets' offensive-line coach from 2002 to 2005.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/48254/latest-on-jets-coaching-search-bowles-reich-on-deck?ex_cid=espnapi_public

    The problem is we have no idea who the sources are for any of these reports so there is no way to judge their accuracy.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2972
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 21:15

    There's so much smoke right now, I don't know what to believe. Mortensen said today that Quinn was the favorite for the Jets, and he's connected to reputable league sources.  But everyone else is saying its 90% probability of Marrone.

    Honestly, I'm ok with either of them, for entirely different reasons.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2972
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 21:20

    SackExchange wrote:Plenty of people don't care for me, I can assure you of that.

    As soon as a new frontrunner comes out, one of the hitmen (Mehta, Myers, Cimini) will bash that person.

    The Hitmen. I like that.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue 12 Dec 2017 - 18:34