Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+14
lnap23
Superman55
NCgreen12
NYJETSDAN16
GratefulJet
football51
NickSINYC
Blindsidebrick
The Wicker Man
hobson54
LIJETFAN
AFA2017
Sarge
Hunter07
18 posters

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ... - Page 4 Empty Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 12:54

I am extremely excited for this hire. AN ACTUAL HEAD COACH! A disciplinarian that will work on the details of the game.

One thing I love is that he is has no tolerance for BS. He will keep the team in line. The team just went through a 4-12 season. The locker room also knows that change was coming and they wont get away with the same garbage that was swept under the rug with a "players coach".

IMHO, the best part of this scenario is that a possible trade can begin to surface with the Giants in acquiring Marrone's Syracuse QB, Ryan Nassib. I feel the guy can be had for a 3rd or 4rth rounder. He can contribute to the QB competition this summer as well as knowing the offense. He has an Aaron Rodgers arm and has the mobility to move around. He could be a steal for us.

The greatest part in signing Marrone is that the Geno Smith experiment will most likely be over by the end of training camp. If Doug didn't have the patience with a 1st rounder in E.J Manuel with his turnovers, then he surely won't give any 2nd chances with a guy who has cost his predecessor his Job.

cheers

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ... - Page 4 Empty Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

Post by football51 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 12:54

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:
    football51 wrote:GratefulJet, they had to rush some coaching interviews because of league rules preventing teams from interviewing coordinators during prep week for games. Actually, besides Lynn(in house) and Quinn, they really haven't interviewed many coaches at all. For gm, they did the in house interview with Graves, spoke to the Browns personnel guy, and just finished with the Seahawks personnel man. The most likely hire, Mike Maccagnan, is on tap next. I'd expect almost a duel Maccagnan/Marrone day. They go way back with each other and would easily work in tandem. IMO, this has been in the works for awhile.

Maccagnan/Marrone is what I'm feeling right now, too. Just my gut.

Of course, things can always take a turn. You hear, "the Jets are moving quickly in their search", and then see interviews lined up with Bowles, Reich, Kubiak, ect. I think so much talk in the media right now is just talk. Nobody really knows for sure, and EVERYONE wants to be the "my sources tell me it's happening" guy.

I think you and 51 are correct.  I'd love to see us hire Ballard from KC (I remember even when they were awful the year before they hired Reid they had like 11 pro bowlers), but M&M seems like how the chips are falling.  Can't complain about a highly regarded Parcells guy who followed his own path rather tha. Rising Belicheats coat tail like so many others.  A fresh start with two men on the same page will be refreshing.

55, Ballard has only been in KC since 2013. Those other Pro Bowl players are from Pioli. Ballard was in the Bears scouting department before that.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 13:06

From Rich Cimini's espnnewyork.com chat today. You have to love the irony of Cimini calling out an agenda .

Kevin Fitzpatrick @KevinoNYC

@RichCimini Since when did Doug Marrone become the second coming of Vince Lombardi? #jetsmail
    9:51 AM - 2 Jan 2015 Queens, NY, United States

@RichCimini: I'm not sure where you're getting the Lombardi reference. Last time I checked, one newspaper was comparing him to Rich Kotite -- which is utterly ridiculous. Obviously, Marrone's record with the Buffalo Bills wasn't great (15-17), but I think the criticism he has received in New York is unfair. It's coming from people with personal agendas. In many ways, Marrone's team last season was similar to Rex Ryan's team, meaning the strength was the defensive line and the quarterback play was below-average. Marrone got nine wins out of the team, Ryan four. Yes, there are questions about Marrone, many dealing with game management, but I've talked to well-respected people in league circles and they all describe him as a solid head coach.

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 13:14

NickSINYC wrote:Add Curtis Martin and Brandon Moore as ex players high on Marrone

Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae rave about Jets’ coaching favorite

Nice to read something positive about a candidate for Jets anything. Definitely improves my impression of Marrone.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 13:16

NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 13:26

What Polian says about Nassib & Marrone speaks volumes (its towards the end of the video).

Even though some might say Nassib is the heir apparent to Eli, I think with the right price, we can have him.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 13:32

Here's a Hank Gola article in the NYDN about Casserly and Wolf, also a good read:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-consultants-casserly-wolf-long-experience-article-1.2064641

Last edited by GratefulJet on Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 13:38; edited 1 time in total
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 13:36

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

Even though some might say Nassib is the heir apparent to Eli, I think with the right price, we can have him.

I suppose anyone can be had for the "right price", Dan. What makes you think that price will be one we can afford?  I would have thought if Marrone really wanted him he would've acquired him a year ago when he went out and signed Kyle Orton instead in Buffalo. Do you think the presumptive price of Ryan Nassib has dropped since then? Eli had a pretty bad year in 2014, and therefore I think Nassib is more important to the Giants now than he was a year ago.

I will say this: if the team decides Marrone is the guy and hires him, and if Marrone says "I need Ryan Nassib, he's the guy to lead this team", then the Jets have do whatever they can to make a deal with the Giants. I just wonder if the Giants will want to deal him at all, given the trajectory of Eli Manning over the last few years.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 13:57

Kimberley A. MartinVerified account
    ‏@KMart_LI
    Doug Marrone, who is interviewing w/ #Jets today, will meet w/ #Falcons on Monday, per @AdamSchefter #nfl #bills
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 14:02

GratefulJet wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

I suppose anyone can be had for the "right price", Dan. What makes you think that price will be one we can afford?  I would have thought if Marrone really wanted him he would've acquired him a year ago when he went out and signed Kyle Orton instead in Buffalo. Do you think the presumptive price of Ryan Nassib has dropped since then? Eli had a pretty bad year in 2014, and therefore I think Nassib is more important to the Giants now than he was a year ago.

I will say this: if the team decides Marrone is the guy and hires him, and if Marrone says "I need Ryan Nassib, he's the guy to lead this team", then the Jets have do whatever they can to make a deal with the Giants. I just wonder if the Giants will want to deal him at all, given the trajectory of Eli Manning over the last few years.

I hear ya loud and clear. But also keep this in mind. Even though Wolf is consulting Woody on the search, he might counsel Marrone if Nassib is his guy and believes in him then he should do what ever possible to land him, as Wolf did with Favre.

I'am sure the Jets wouldn't give up a 1st rounder but possibly a 2 would do.
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 14:25

GratefulJet wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:Add Curtis Martin and Brandon Moore as ex players high on Marrone

Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae rave about Jets’ coaching favorite

Nice to read something positive about a candidate for Jets anything. Definitely improves my impression of Marrone.

+1. I also have some buds who are staunch life long Bills fans who actually had some positive things to say about Marrone and also said we would be good to get him. I'm still up in the air on this but wouldn't feel awful either if he's our guy.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 15:50

football51 wrote:Wow, Myers of the Daily News, with a strong pro Marrone piece Shocked .

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-jets-hire-marrone-big-contrast-rex-article-1.2064619

Nice to see a Daily News writer actually write a factual article and not some agenda driven piece
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 19:15

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI · 1m 1 minute ago
    Doug Marrone's interview with the #Jets is over
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 19:50

NickSINYC wrote:
    football51 wrote:Wow, Myers of the Daily News, with a strong pro Marrone piece Shocked .

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-jets-hire-marrone-big-contrast-rex-article-1.2064619

Nice to see a Daily News writer actually write a factual article and not some agenda driven piece

Agenda driven? You mean this gem from Mehta:

"How a power hungry and thin skinned Doug Marrone alienated people in Buffalo for two years".

Did Marrone tell this twerp to piss off like Idzik did? I cannot imagine what else could cause Mehta to be such an asshat.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 19:57

For Mehta's sake, I hope we hire Marrone, otherwise he's going to have to make up a new batch of ridiculous bullcrap about the next guy
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 20:02

Sarge wrote:For Mehta's sake, I hope we hire Marrone, otherwise he's going to have to make up a new batch of ridiculous bullcrap about the next guy

I hope Marrone gets the job. He'll put Manish right in his place. NO WAY A GUY FROM THE BRONX IS "SOFT".

Manish is just upset if Woody does hire Doug, that he has to actually work in order to get a story. Marrone is very Belichick'esque with his pressers.

With Marrone, fun time would immediately be over with reporters. He'll discipline their asses as well. So far Cimini got the memo. Whens the last time Rich wrote something positive about the Jets?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 12:11

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12118625

Interesting article on Marrone getting pissed over the Sammy Watkjns trade; he's not wrong, they could have stayed put and had Beckham.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 16:29

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/hiring-coach-before-gm-shouldn-t-be-problem-for-jets-1.9771055

Ian RapoportVerified account
    ‏@RapSheet Do not assume that #Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff is safe. Owner Arthur Blank has made clear the new head coach has a say in his future.

No way........ does Manish know about this Rolling Eyes ?

Also, if Marrone rubbed so many the wrong way in Buffalo, why did the owner try to extend him(and believe he had a deal)?

From this AM - Bills owner Terry Pegula, who thought he had Marrone extended, still looking for a football czar: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24934972/bills-owner-still-wants-a-football-czar-after-polian-snub

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 16:34

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 16:45

football51 wrote:Good article connecting the dots on Marrone and gm candidates.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24934962/all-signs-pointing-to-doug-marrone-as-next-jets-coach

You think Marrone is a done deal?
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 16:50

Superman55 wrote:
    football51 wrote:Good article connecting the dots on Marrone and gm candidates.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24934962/all-signs-pointing-to-doug-marrone-as-next-jets-coach

You think Marrone is a done deal?

Yes. I think the gm/coach deals were done as soon as the process began. Casserly, Wolf, and Woody lined up people with close connections to Marrone to be gm. They want the tandem to be cohesive. I think Woody(through Casserly to avoid tampering) knew Marrone was leaving Buffalo before the Bills owner did. The rest of this search process, I compare to predraft interviews like I mentioned in the coaches thread.
    Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Hunter07 Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 8:32

Former Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone — who may be headed to the New York Jets — is a control freak and an average coach who rubbed many people the wrong way, according to a report from the New York Daily News’ Manish Mehta.
    Marrone, who had a 15-17 record with the Bills with no playoff appearances, interviewed with the Jets on Saturday after opting out of the final two years of his contract. He reportedly alienated many people within the Bills organization.
    “It’s about power and control,” a source told the Daily News. “That is what drives Doug Marrone. That’s why he is a very dangerous person to have inside the building.”
    Marrone reportedly got bogged down in minutia. He had to approve video clips before they were posted on the Bills website.
    He also reportedly belittled people throughout the Bills organization. Marrone allegedly tried to disparage perceived easy targets in the front office, the media relations department, as well as reporters who covered the Bills. He had public arguments with defensive end Jerry Hughes and general manager Doug Whaley.
    And while many players supported him, others grew frustrated with his conservative style.
    “It’s been too many times where we don’t take chances,” safety Aaron Williams told The Buffalo News after a 9-22 loss to the Miami Dolphins on November 17. ... “I feel like teams around this league, the reason why they’re successful most times, is because they do take chances and they are confident about their defense going out there and making three stops at midfield, or even, heck, at the 20-yard line. ... I encourage Coach to be aggressive and just believe in the defense.”
    One source described Marrone as an “average” coach.
    When you combine that with an alienating and obsessive style, you have to wonder if Marrone can lead a turnaround of the struggling New York Jets.
    Credit: Yardbarker
    Now, - the real question is this true or simply a hit piece??? ...
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 9:38

Hunter07 wrote:Former Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone — who may be headed to the New York Jets — is a control freak and an average coach who rubbed many people the wrong way, according to a report from the New York Daily News’ Manish Mehta.
    Marrone, who had a 15-17 record with the Bills with no playoff appearances, interviewed with the Jets on Saturday after opting out of the final two years of his contract. He reportedly alienated many people within the Bills organization.
    “It’s about power and control,” a source told the Daily News. “That is what drives Doug Marrone. That’s why he is a very dangerous person to have inside the building.”
    Marrone reportedly got bogged down in minutia. He had to approve video clips before they were posted on the Bills website.
    He also reportedly belittled people throughout the Bills organization. Marrone allegedly tried to disparage perceived easy targets in the front office, the media relations department, as well as reporters who covered the Bills. He had public arguments with defensive end Jerry Hughes and general manager Doug Whaley.
    And while many players supported him, others grew frustrated with his conservative style.
    “It’s been too many times where we don’t take chances,” safety Aaron Williams told The Buffalo News after a 9-22 loss to the Miami Dolphins on November 17. ... “I feel like teams around this league, the reason why they’re successful most times, is because they do take chances and they are confident about their defense going out there and making three stops at midfield, or even, heck, at the 20-yard line. ... I encourage Coach to be aggressive and just believe in the defense.”
    One source described Marrone as an “average” coach.
    When you combine that with an alienating and obsessive style, you have to wonder if Marrone can lead a turnaround of the struggling New York Jets.
    Credit: Yardbarker
    Now, - the real question is this true or simply a hit piece??? ...

As was noted by someone else, when you read the word "sources" in a Manish Mehta piece, substitute the word "agent", which shares the same four letters with the word "agenda". This Yardbarker piece is someone, probably with the initials "MM" (according to my sources), recycling a Manish Mehta hit piece, so read it like the real thing.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 10:22

Marrone interviewing with Falcons today. If he gets that job, Mehta will be crying that the Jets let their only viable candidate get away
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 11:53

I have always considered the NY Post to be thrash and obviously not a fan of Mehta of the Daily News. But you know you are a terrible reporter when a reporter from the Post calls you out..

http://nypost.com/2015/01/04/the-hires-that-prove-woody-johnson-finally-gets-it/

The quote itself:

"That has not stopped a character assassination of Marrone by one agenda-driven reporter in town, who clearly fears the idea of Marrone coming to the Jets. Some have bought in to his thinking. Let’s hope Johnson is smart enough to see through the sleazy attempt to undercut Marrone."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024 - 10:11