Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+28
football51
Pointdexter
Superman55
AFA2017
jetsfanshanghai
WilliesDad
SackExchange
soj
Seaver
skop
GratefulJet
HYATT™
The Wicker Man
Sarge
Blindsidebrick
NYJETSDAN16
Atljet60
Old#15
NCgreen12
jamesfyo123
danfran
JohnnyBaseball
Metjetgal
hobson54
McJet
trico990
jetkwondo
lnap23
32 posters

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

jamesfyo123
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News) - Page 23 Empty Re: Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

Post by jamesfyo123 Sun 11 Jan 2015 - 19:07

SackExchange wrote:
    danfran wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:a friend of mine texted me that he was at a restaurant down in the boca area last night and was at the table next to rex and the bills brass.  he has a picture with him and rex.  knew the deal was done before the news broke this morning.

as to rex, he's going to a team with no QB, no 1st and 4th round pick, and a GM who just chased off the prior HC coming off their best season in a decade.  and he stays in the same division with belichick.  i think atlanta would have been a much better landing spot for him, but of course, atlanta was dragging it's feet.  i would have rooted for rex in his next destination, but can't do that in division.
    It's true he has no QB there-but he has defensive talent. I'm not happy he's staying in-division.
    He definitely has defensive talent. I'm not sure it fits his system.

Mario Williams is an awful fit for his system. Williams is a perfect 4-3 DE. What are you going to do with him in Rex's system? Ask him to take double-teams and occupy blockers? Or move him to OLB?
    Mario Williams was playing OLB in a 3-4 in his last injury-shortened year in Houston, I believe. If memory serves, he was playing well but not at the level he's been playing with Buffalo.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News) - Page 23 Empty Re: Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

Post by SackExchange Sun 11 Jan 2015 - 19:28

jamesfyo123 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    danfran wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:a friend of mine texted me that he was at a restaurant down in the boca area last night and was at the table next to rex and the bills brass.  he has a picture with him and rex.  knew the deal was done before the news broke this morning.

as to rex, he's going to a team with no QB, no 1st and 4th round pick, and a GM who just chased off the prior HC coming off their best season in a decade.  and he stays in the same division with belichick.  i think atlanta would have been a much better landing spot for him, but of course, atlanta was dragging it's feet.  i would have rooted for rex in his next destination, but can't do that in division.
    It's true he has no QB there-but he has defensive talent. I'm not happy he's staying in-division.

Mario Williams is an awful fit for his system. Williams is a perfect 4-3 DE. What are you going to do with him in Rex's system? Ask him to take double-teams and occupy blockers? Or move him to OLB?
    Mario Williams was playing OLB in a 3-4 in his last injury-shortened year in Houston, I believe. If memory serves, he was playing well but not at the level he's been playing with Buffalo.
    You may be right.

It's still playing one of your best players, and most expensive assets, out of position.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 11 Jan 2015 - 19:30

NickSINYC wrote:Does anyone know if either Roman or Schwartz are strict disciplinarians.
    I'm not sure it matters if a coordinator is a strict disciplinarian.

Actually, the better formula may be for your HC to be strict, and your coordinators to be more players' coaches. This way, they lean on and rally around the guys who they work closest with, while still getting the kick in the arse they need.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 11 Jan 2015 - 19:31

SackExchange wrote:
    jamesfyo123 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    danfran wrote:

You may be right.

It's still playing one of your best players, and most expensive assets, out of position.

sounds like a vintage Rex move to me
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 11 Jan 2015 - 19:32

NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    jamesfyo123 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    danfran wrote:

You may be right.

sounds like a vintage Rex move to me
    Well, if he struggles at all, he knows Rex will tell the world how he's the greatest player ever.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 11 Jan 2015 - 20:51

I would love to see Rex follow this insane plan

Dan Leberfeld @jetswhispers · 11m 11 minutes ago
    Here is a good backup plan for Rex http://bit.ly/1xSPEnw
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 11 Jan 2015 - 21:50

[quote="NickSINYC"]I would love to see Rex follow this insane plan

Dan Leberfeld @jetswhispers  ·  11m 11 minutes ago
    Here is a good backup plan for Rex http://bit.ly/1xSPEnw
    [/quot

Vick to the Bills?

Yes please. I'll help him pack his bags if he needs it.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 11 Jan 2015 - 23:05

This article provides clear insight into the depth of the relationship between Manish Mehta and Rex Ryan. To me, it's obvious now where MM got a lot of his info, and the angle against Idzik:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-fickle-falcons-led-rex-ryan-bills-job-article-1.2074037
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 8:58

Rod Marineli turns around Dallas defense and is reportedly leaving for Tampa.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 9:36

Dallas coaching staff continues to get plucked...Bill Callahan reportedly may join Rex with Bills.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 12:06

With no pick.....can Rex convince the GM to go get him Revis? I imagine that name will surface at some point.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 16:21

Greg Roman deal with Buffalo finalized

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 12, 2015, 1:03 PM EST
    GregRoman
    Getty Images
    Now that the Bills have a head coach, they’re moving quickly to assemble a staff around him.

As expected, the Bills have finalized a deal with former 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman for the same job there. According to Alex Marvez of FOX Sports, the deal has been finished and will be signed tomorrow.

Roman took some criticism in San Francisco for being a little run-heavy this season, but frankly, that’s the direction he’ll need to go in Buffalo.

Unless he can turn E.J. Manuel into Colin Kaepernick overnight, the Bills will need to lean on their strengths, and Roman’s a good philosophical match for the kind of ground-and-pound game Ryan had his most success with when he was the Jets head coach.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 16:24

Steve Smith ready for 15th season?
    January, 11, 2015
    JAN 11
    10:50
    AM ET
    By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
    01COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
    Despite being 35 years old and coming off of a down season in 2013 -- his first with fewer than 1,000 receiving yards since 2010 -- Steve Smith Sr. proved to be ageless in 2014 with the Baltimore Ravens.

He played every game and ended up with 1,065 yards and six touchdowns during the regular season. He followed that up with eight catches for 145 yards and a touchdown in two postseason games.

Although Smith will turn 36 during the offseason, he suggested on Instagram after Saturday's loss to the New England Patriots that he will not retire.

"#ravensnation thank you so much for embracing me I hoped for a good season and now I look back it was a GREAT season this old man played for you and my teammates I've enjoyed every moment and couldn't have asked for a better fan base. Look forward to a better season next year and watch us go WIN IT ALL," he wrote.

The Ravens have Smith under contract for the next two seasons, and with a relatively reasonable salary-cap hit of about $4.1 million, we should expect them to keep him on their roster for his 15th NFL campaign.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 16:25

...and it begins, rumors of David Harris to the bills:

David Harris - LB - Jets
    The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta believes new Bills coach Rex Ryan "will want" free agent ILB David Harris to join him in Buffalo.
    Harris was third on the 2014 Jets in sacks (six) and led the team in tackles (124). The 30-year-old would likely replace ILB Brandon Spikes, who is a free agent.
    Related: Bills
    Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter Jan 12 - 4:03 PM
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 16:26

As I predicted:

Dick LeBeau - DL - Free Agent
    Coach Bruce Arians has had discussions with ex-Steelers DC Dick LeBeau about joining the Cardinals' staff.
    Arians fully expects Cardinals DC Todd Bowles to get a head-coaching gig, and is working on a replacement. Arians and LeBeau spent many years together in Pittsburgh. LeBeau runs a 3-4 defense similar to the one Bowles has employed and would be a natural fit. The Steelers and LeBeau "mutually parted ways" after Pittsburgh's playoff loss, but 77-year-old LeBeau has not retired.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 16:46

Rex reportedly after Thurman, Dunbar, and Lynn.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 17:08

Superman55 wrote:...and it begins, rumors of David Harris to the bills:

David Harris - LB - Jets
    The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta believes new Bills coach Rex Ryan "will want" free agent ILB David Harris to join him in Buffalo.
    Harris was third on the 2014 Jets in sacks (six) and led the team in tackles (124). The 30-year-old would likely replace ILB Brandon Spikes, who is a free agent.

Losing Harris and Pace to the Bills wouldn't be the end of the world. What are they? 35 and 31? This team needs younger players.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 17:12

Blindsidebrick wrote:

David Harris - LB - Jets

Losing Harris and Pace to the Bills wouldn't be the end of the world. What are they? 35 and 31? This team needs younger players.

I don't care if we lose Pace...but Harris is a very productive MLB...and what this team doesn't need is more holes to fill.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 17:14

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

David Harris - LB - Jets

I don't care if we lose Pace...but Harris is a very productive MLB...and what this team doesn't need is more holes to fill.
    He'll be 31, I think, and he doesn't fit a 4-3 if the team went that way.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 17:17

Fox gone from Broncos!!!!!!
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 17:19

Posted the Fox news in the coaching options thread. I would assume he would merit a look.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 17:20

Probably means Adam Gase moving up to the top job, they probably didn't want to lose Gase. I guess they could also be wanting to keep Del Rio, but that seems less likely.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 18:57

Sarge wrote:Probably means Adam Gase moving up to the top job, they probably didn't want to lose Gase.  I guess they could also be wanting to keep Del Rio, but that seems less likely.

Apparently not. The entire Broncos staff was let go as well.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 18:58

lnap23 wrote:
    Sarge wrote:Probably means Adam Gase moving up to the top job, they probably didn't want to lose Gase.  I guess they could also be wanting to keep Del Rio, but that seems less likely.

Apparently not.  The entire Broncos staff was let go as well.

they were told that they can go and look for other jobs. but if the broncos are interested in gase, i'd assume he would be at or near the top of their interview list.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 12 Jan 2015 - 20:00

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    Rex will call defensive plays. Dennis Thurman will be DC RT @viccarucci Unlikely Jim Schwartz will remain w Bills. Probably gone by 2morrow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 29 Apr 2024 - 5:43