Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+28
football51
Pointdexter
Superman55
AFA2017
jetsfanshanghai
WilliesDad
SackExchange
soj
Seaver
skop
GratefulJet
HYATT™
The Wicker Man
Sarge
Blindsidebrick
NYJETSDAN16
Atljet60
Old#15
NCgreen12
jamesfyo123
danfran
JohnnyBaseball
Metjetgal
hobson54
McJet
trico990
jetkwondo
lnap23
32 posters

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News) - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

Post by NickSINYC Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 19:46

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News) - Page 18 Empty Re: Around the League (Non-Jets Specific News)

Post by football51 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 19:56

I guess he changed his mind Very Happy .

Zach BermanVerified account
    ‏@ZBerm
    Chip Kelly, Jan. '13: "I’ve heard questions that I want control...That has never been an issue. ...I’m a football coach. I’m not a GM."

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 21:50

Wow, Bills to consider hiring Jim Schwartz as HC. With all these quality names, Jim Schwartz, really? Might as well grab Dave Wannstedt. That would be a hire I'd be happy with.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 13:04

Mike Shanahan rumored to be talking to Bills.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 17:48

Was that Antonio Cromartie?

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 18:00

Superman55 wrote:Was that Antonio Cromartie?

Epic bad call not bringing him back. Could have been Idzik's worst decision.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 10:55

GratefulJet wrote:

Respectfully disagree; if Jets were one CB away it would have been a mistake not bringing Cro back. Realistically, how many victories would Cro have added to this team? Jets are a team that needed the flexibility cap-wise to spend in 2015 and beyond with core players, and Cro would not be a an integral part of that mix. IMO Idzik's biggest mistake was not gauging the patience level of the media and some elements of the fanbase.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 11:35

GratefulJet wrote:

one would think this was a group decision. and that means rex and thurman, as well as idzik. it obviously wasn't a financial decision since cro took a low, 1-year deal. but the jets made zero effort to retain him, which leads me to believe rex has no interest in retaining him.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 11:56

hobson54 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:

one would think this was a group decision.  and that means rex and thurman, as well as idzik.  it obviously wasn't a financial decision since cro took a low, 1-year deal.  but the jets made zero effort to retain him, which leads me to believe rex has no interest in retaining him.

Idzik got Rex's approval on all personnel decisions? And how is it "obvious" it wasn't financial just because Cro took a $3.25M deal? Are you saying Idzik didn't want Cro back at any price because he thought he wasn't worth anything? It was always about cost with Idzik. That was the problem with the free agent process--he Aldersoned every FA CB that came through.

"Jets made zero effort" == Idzik made zero effort, unless you're now going to rewrite history such that Idzik and Rex were partners on personnel matters. That's the first I've heard of that one.

Cro said a lot of nice stuff about Rex yesterday. You apparently believe that love is unrequited. I don't share that view. Choosing Patterson over Cromartie was just a terrible decision, and it was Idzik's. Maybe Rex decided he was going to choose his battles and he didn't want to go to war with Idzik over Cro. That's not the same thing as saying Rex didn't want Cro back.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 12:26

GratefulJet wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:

one would think this was a group decision.  and that means rex and thurman, as well as idzik.  it obviously wasn't a financial decision since cro took a low, 1-year deal.  but the jets made zero effort to retain him, which leads me to believe rex has no interest in retaining him.

Idzik got Rex's approval on all personnel decisions?  And how is it "obvious" it wasn't financial just because Cro took a $3.25M deal? Are you saying Idzik didn't want Cro back at any price because he thought he wasn't worth anything? It was always about cost with Idzik. That was the problem with the free agent process--he Aldersoned every FA CB that came through.

"Jets made zero effort" == Idzik made zero effort, unless you're now going to rewrite history such that Idzik and Rex were partners on personnel matters. That's the first I've heard of that one.

Cro said a lot of nice stuff about Rex yesterday. You apparently believe that love is unrequited. I don't share that view. Choosing Patterson over Cromartie was just a terrible decision, and it was Idzik's. Maybe Rex decided he was going to choose his battles and he didn't want to go to war with Idzik over Cro. That's not the same thing as saying Rex didn't want Cro back.

you're right. rex never voiced his opinion and was a shrinking violet who deferred on all matters to idzik.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 13:57

I guess Rex didn't want Revis back either?
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 14:36

GratefulJet wrote:I guess Rex didn't want Revis back either?

revis was willing to take a 1-year, low salary???
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 14:57

Cromartie was a 30 year old CB coming off a down year and a questionable hip.

Let's not paint Cromartie as a no-brainer re-sign. The fact that he played better this year was surprising, all things considered. I'm not going to pin that one on Idzik. Now in hindsight, yeah, would've been a smart move. But I don't think anyone could've predicted what transpired at the CB position for the Jets this year. The Milliner and McDougle injuries put us behind the eight ball in the blink of an eye. And who knew Patterson would be nuts? He didn't behave that way for eight years, but Idzik should've seen it? I don't think so.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 15:01

hobson54 wrote:

No, Revis was willing to get a big front loaded contract, and then he and his agents would try to squeeze more outta Woody later on by restructuring.

How quickly people forget.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 15:56

hobson54 wrote:

You think Rex gives a hoot about the money? You speak with such certainty that Rex didn't want him back, as if you were present for the discussions. You and I have no idea whether Rex wanted him back, but there's nothing to support the argument he didn't want him other than your contention that Rex didn't make a stink about it in the papers. Well, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. Maybe Rex is too classy to trash Idzik publicly about their personnel disagreements, and I am sure he is ruing his lack of oppostiion. Whatever the case, it is very presumptuous to assume Rex supported going to battle this past year with Milliner, Patterson, Wilson and draft pick McDougle as his top 4 CBs. The man loves him some shut down corners, and I am pretty sure he knew the value of both Revis and Cromartie in his defensive scheme. To lose them both over two years must have hurt.

Cro had a a bad hip last year. Either it was a degenerative condition or it wasn't. The team had more knowledge of the medical details than anyone else. I highly doubt Arizona would risk $3.25M on a CB with a degenerative hip condition. Therefore, I suspect it was Idzik's decision not to bring him back, and to go with Patterson instead, and it wasn't a medical decision. It was both a financial and a personnel evaluation decision, and it proved to be a blunder, as the position cost us who knows how many games. Cro was a great CB for us before last year, and there was no reason to assume he was washed up. Arizona obviously didn't.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 16:14

GratefulJet wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:

You think Rex gives a hoot about the money? You speak with such certainty that Rex didn't want him back, as if you were present for the discussions. You and I have no idea whether Rex wanted him back, but there's nothing to support the argument he didn't want him other than your contention that Rex didn't make a stink about it in the papers. Well, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.  Maybe Rex is too classy to trash Idzik publicly about their personnel disagreements, and I am sure he is ruing his lack of oppostiion. Whatever the case, it is very presumptuous to assume Rex supported going to battle this past year with Milliner, Patterson, Wilson and draft pick McDougle as his top 4 CBs. The man loves him some shut down corners, and I am pretty sure he knew the value of both Revis and Cromartie in his defensive scheme. To lose them both over two years must have hurt.

Cro had a a bad hip last year. Either it was a degenerative condition or it wasn't. The team had more knowledge of the medical details than anyone else. I highly doubt Arizona would risk $3.25M on a CB with a degenerative hip condition. Therefore, I suspect it was Idzik's decision not to bring him back, and to go with Patterson instead, and it wasn't a medical decision. It was both a financial and a personnel evaluation decision, and it proved to be a blunder, as the position cost us who knows how many games. Cro was a great CB for us before last year, and there was no reason to assume he was washed up. Arizona obviously didn't.

I believe Revis was 100% a Woody decision and whether Idzik along with Rex wanted to keep Revis we will never know. So to hang that on Idzik is a little unfair not knowing all the facts.

As far as Cro goes we have no idea if Rex wanted to keep him or not. What we do know and has been written is Rex never voiced any complaints in personnel meetings were decisions on players were made. So either Rex did not want Cro or he was foolish not to voice his objections.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 16:22

I'm not sure where I hung Revis on Idzik. What I said is Rex didn't complain about losing Revis, so how can we take the lack of public complaint about losing Cromartie as some kind of proof that he was happy to see him go?
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 16:28

GratefulJet wrote:I'm not sure where I hung Revis on Idzik. What I said is Rex didn't complain about losing Revis, so how can we take the lack of public complaint about losing Cromartie as some kind of proof that he was happy to see him go?

My bad on the Revis but according to written accounts Rex made no in house private complaints about losing Cro either.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 16:37

GratefulJet wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:

You think Rex gives a hoot about the money? You speak with such certainty that Rex didn't want him back, as if you were present for the discussions. You and I have no idea whether Rex wanted him back, but there's nothing to support the argument he didn't want him other than your contention that Rex didn't make a stink about it in the papers. Well, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.  Maybe Rex is too classy to trash Idzik publicly about their personnel disagreements, and I am sure he is ruing his lack of oppostiion. Whatever the case, it is very presumptuous to assume Rex supported going to battle this past year with Milliner, Patterson, Wilson and draft pick McDougle as his top 4 CBs. The man loves him some shut down corners, and I am pretty sure he knew the value of both Revis and Cromartie in his defensive scheme. To lose them both over two years must have hurt.

and you made the assumption that the decision to not bring back cro or even make an offer, was 100% idzik, as if you were present for the discussions. you have no idea whether this was idzik's decision alone, or a team effort.

i am saying that it seemed to me to be a team decision. rex is never shy about speaking his mind. but i guess this was the one time he decided to be classy and not saying what he thought. as long as it suits your case to hang this 100% on idzik.

note none of this is to argue that signing patterson was a good move.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 16:44

GratefulJet wrote:I'm not sure where I hung Revis on Idzik. What I said is Rex didn't complain about losing Revis, so how can we take the lack of public complaint about losing Cromartie as some kind of proof that he was happy to see him go?

two utterly different circumstance. revis was traded because of financial reasons. it was obvious the organization (call it idzik, call it woody, call it whatever) was done with dealing with him and made the move to trade him. last off-season, he was on the market for all of 24 hours or so, and color me dubious he really would have taken a 1-year deal from the jets over the deal he took from the pats.

cromartie had been a jet for a number of years and during the end of last season, there was not a word from rex publicly supporting cro or saying how he wanted him back. the team made zero effort to retain him. my point has been that since rex has been involved in personnel decisions, that he was part of the decision-making process in making zero effort to retain cromartie, even by offering him a 1-year deal to prove his health. they cut him, took a cap hit, and moved on. not a word was said by the never shy rex.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 16:45

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 16:55

hobson54 wrote:

two utterly different circumstance.  revis was traded because of financial reasons.  it was obvious the organization (call it idzik, call it woody, call it whatever) was done with dealing with him and made the move to trade him.  last off-season, he was on the market for all of 24 hours or so, and color me dubious he really would have taken a 1-year deal from the jets over the deal he took from the pats.

cromartie had been a jet for a number of years and during the end of last season, there was not a word from rex publicly supporting cro or saying how he wanted him back.  the team made zero effort to retain him.  my point has been that since rex has been involved in personnel decisions, that he was part of the decision-making process in making zero effort to retain cromartie, even by offering him a 1-year deal to prove his health.  they cut him, took a cap hit, and moved on.  not a word was said by the never shy rex.  

A few members of the media have made this assumption about Revis willingly going back to the Jets if we had wanted him back.

A lot of "my sources are telling me" commentary. I'm not buying a word of it. It's just more banter from the media to bolster their "the Jets and Woody Johnson are incompetent" narrative. At least, that's what I beleive.

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 17:16

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:

two utterly different circumstance.  revis was traded because of financial reasons.  it was obvious the organization (call it idzik, call it woody, call it whatever) was done with dealing with him and made the move to trade him.  last off-season, he was on the market for all of 24 hours or so, and color me dubious he really would have taken a 1-year deal from the jets over the deal he took from the pats.

cromartie had been a jet for a number of years and during the end of last season, there was not a word from rex publicly supporting cro or saying how he wanted him back.  the team made zero effort to retain him.  my point has been that since rex has been involved in personnel decisions, that he was part of the decision-making process in making zero effort to retain cromartie, even by offering him a 1-year deal to prove his health.  they cut him, took a cap hit, and moved on.  not a word was said by the never shy rex.  

A few members of the media have made this assumption about Revis willingly going back to the Jets if we had wanted him back.

A lot of "my sources are telling me" commentary. I'm not buying a word of it. It's just more banter from the media to bolster their "the Jets and Woody Johnson are incompetent" narrative. At least, that's what I beleive.

Oh, I don't buy the story that he wanted to come back either. I also totally get that it was 100% Woody saying Revis had to go, and I was ok with it because it was getting ridiculous how Revis would want to renegotiate every deal he signed with us. Neither of those things about Revis is my point, which is that I am sure Rex would have wanted Revis back, the money be damned, but it's not like Rex was saying that in the papers. And while we don't know for sure if Rex wanted Cromartie back, we have no reason to assume he didn't, since he didn't make any statements about it either way. His defense was at its best with Revis and Cro playing shutdown man CB. (Cro played magnificently when Revis went down with the knee injury.) Why would he want to lose either of those guys? I doubt Rex gave Cro the thumbs down to Idzik. I am confident it was Idzik thinking he's smarter than everyone else and would find a better CB in FA for the right price. Well, he didn't.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 17:49

I wouldn't be comfortable with this if i was an Eagles fan.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 4 Jan 2015 - 19:51

JAN 4
    10:54
    AM ET
    By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
    11COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
    The Atlanta Falcons are interviewing New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels this weekend for their head-coaching opening.

Whether he takes that job could impact the tenures of Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff and assistant GM Scott Pioli.

"According to multiple league sources, McDaniels' candidacy has been championed by general manager Thomas Dimitroff and his top assistant, Scott Pioli, both of whom worked with McDaniels in New England," noted CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora. "Owner Arthur Blank ... did not entirely rule out making other changes, and sources said the fate of Dimitroff and Pioli could be directly linked to how this coaching search proceeds."

It appears that McDaniels isn't convinced that Atlanta is the right place to resume his head-coaching career.

"McDaniels has long told confidants that it would take a perfect set of circumstances to get him to leave quarterback Tom Brady and coach Bill Belichick after a difficult initial head coaching stint in Denver," La Canfora added. "While the presence of Matt Ryan in Atlanta makes that job attractive to candidates, some close to McDaniels believe there is enough behind the scenes with the Falcons to give him trepidation."

It is believed that owner Arthur Blank is intrigued by former New York Jets coach Rex Ryan. Other candidates include Denver Broncos OC Adam Gase, Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin.

The final decision on who will replace Mike Smith as the Falcons' next head coach could lead to a power play that would lead to Dimitroff moving on, so stay tuned.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 7 May 2024 - 20:02