Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+14
MachinaVerde
Old#15
GratefulJet
NCgreen12
Marac
NYJETSDAN16
McJet
Superman55
Sarge
NickSINYC
football51
lnap23
Seaver
hobson54
18 posters

Free Agent Rumors

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Free Agent Rumors - Page 5 Empty Re: Free Agent Rumors

Post by NickSINYC Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 17:43

lnap23 wrote:At the right price we need to sign Cro. He isn't the Cro of 2012 but he is better than what we have and one of the better CB's on the FA market.. Plus he knows Bowles system, bonus, and he understands NY and performs well here all bonuses in my book... OH yeah and he wants to come back... Big bonus!!

Bowles knows what he has left better than any of us do. I am sure if he wants him Maccagan will get him. IMO If he is not a Jet next year Bowles did not want him.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 18:10

The only thing that scares me about Cro is his hip. It's reportedly a degenerative issue. He could be fine the whole season and play well(like he did in 2014), or the hip could flare up in the preseason like it did for us in 2013, and he'll be trying to play on one leg the whole year. It's just my opinion, and I have no information to support it, but I don't believe the Jets medical staff were too confident in Cro staying healthy which is why he wasn't brought back( and the fact that if his hip did become an issue, Ryan would never sit him down). If it was me, I'm still going after Maxwell/Jackson first, and Cro would be a fallback option. I would even consider adding Cro if we signed one of the other cb's, but in any scenario, I'm only giving him a one year deal. He's a speed player with a bad hip, lax technique, and will be 31 this year.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 18:17

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 19:43

football51 wrote:The only thing that scares me about Cro is his hip. It's reportedly a degenerative issue. He could be fine the whole season and play well(like he did in 2014), or the hip could flare up in the preseason like it did for us in 2013, and he'll be trying to play on one leg the whole year. It's just my opinion, and I have no information to support it, but I don't believe the Jets medical staff were too confident in Cro staying healthy which is why he wasn't brought back( and the fact that if his hip did become an issue, Ryan would never sit him down). If it was me, I'm still going after Maxwell/Jackson first, and Cro would be a fallback option. I would even consider adding Cro if we signed one of the other cb's, but in any scenario, I'm only giving him a one year deal. He's a speed player with a bad hip, lax technique, and will be 31 this year.

+1

Good points. At the time last year, letting Cro go seemed like it made sense due to the subpar season and his hip. Of course, nobody could've predicted that he'd stay healthy all year and have a decent season. In retrospect, Idzik could've brought him back on the cheap. So it was a bad call on his part. It was probably Idzik thinking "out with the old, in with the new".

Regardless, I don't want to re-live our CB issues next season. We need a couple of players added there, with Milliner and McDougle rounding out a 4 player competition. I was glad to hear Bowles stress the importance of CB's in his system. You cannot survive in this league anymore without good CB's.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 30 Jan 2015 - 19:36

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 30 Jan 2015 - 23:04

They're supposedly good friends from their Denver days. I'd be ecstatic if he signed with us. A #1 WR to pair with Decker.

But I'm not holding my breath. Denver is going to tag him if he doesn't sign a big extension.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 31 Jan 2015 - 11:47

Blindsidebrick wrote:

They're supposedly good friends from their Denver days. I'd be ecstatic if he signed with us. A #1 WR to pair with Decker.

But I'm not holding my breath. Denver is going to tag him if he doesn't sign a big extension.

...imagine Thomas, Decker, Harvin, Amaro, Ivory, and Spiller...
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sat 31 Jan 2015 - 12:06

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

sounds great. but i'd imagine if they signed thomas (for the record, i don't think he leaves denver) than there is no way they keep harvin.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 31 Jan 2015 - 12:38

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

sounds great.  but i'd imagine if they signed thomas (for the record, i don't think he leaves denver) than there is no way they keep harvin.

Agreed. The Jets aren't paying two wr's $10+ mil per season and paying Decker $7+ mil per season when they don't even know who their qb is going to be. I don't think Thomas gets out of Denver either( although it will be interesting because their TE is a free agent too looking for a big pay day), but if the Jets add a high priced wr in free agency, Harvin is gone IMO.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 31 Jan 2015 - 17:09

Rich Cimini @RichCimini
    Jets QB Geno Smith hoping for a Percy Harvin return: Geno Smith acknowledged Saturday this a "very, very vital... http://tinyurl.com/lbkr95p
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sat 31 Jan 2015 - 18:10

NickSINYC wrote:Rich Cimini @RichCimini
    Jets QB Geno Smith hoping for a Percy Harvin return: Geno Smith acknowledged Saturday this a "very, very vital... http://tinyurl.com/lbkr95p

As has been pointed out by others, if we pay Harvin, we're probably not going to sign another high end WR. Too much money will be put into the position if he comes back (Harvin, Decker, Kerley), with lots of other areas to address.

While I wouldn't be disappointed necessarily to bring back Harvin, I'd rather see us sign a receiver closer to the Dez Bryant/Demaryus Thomas mold. I know that's probably a pipe dream, but we need a player like that. I don't think Harvin is a #1. He's more like a really good slot receiver/end around, trick play guy.

CJ Spiller has been mentioned as a playmaker out of the backfield. That idea is intriguing, too. Especially if we can't find a really solid #1 WR in FA.
    Marac
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Marac Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 13:08

This is not a rumor, it's just a thought... What about signing the injured Atlanta superstar Sean Weatherspoon in Free Agency... Spoon and DD would really make for a nice ILB crew... The Jets would have to have some sort of back up plan if Spoon can't get healthy???

Thoughts.....
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 13:09

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

sounds great.  but i'd imagine if they signed thomas (for the record, i don't think he leaves denver) than there is no way they keep harvin.

Agreed, especially after resigning Kerley last year. The money from letting Harvin go would likely go to Thomas. Also, I think Thomas gets franchised, so I agree on that point as well.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 13:13

Darrelle Revis - DB - Patriots
    ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jets and Bills will pursue CB Darrelle Revis if he reaches free agency this offseason.
    That's a big "if", as there have been recent reports of the Patriots seriously considering picking up Revis' $20 million team option for 2015. He had an excellent first season in New England, playing at an All-Pro level and grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 4 cover corner. The Jets and Bills' connections are easy. Revis became a star in New York under new Bills coach Rex Ryan.
    Related: Bills, Jets
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 13:34

Could Fins make a run at Suh?
    January, 30, 2015
    JAN 30
    1:04
    PM ET
    By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
    20COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
    The Miami Dolphins had trouble stopping the run late during the 2014 campaign. In fact, no team allowed more yards per game than the Dolphins during the final six weeks (165.3).

With that in mind, they could make a big-splash move during the offseason by signing Ndamukong Suh away from the Detroit Lions, if that team lets him reach free agency. Of course, he is going to ink a massive contract, so the Fins would have to do some salary-cap maneuvering to make it work.

"A purge is needed if the salary cap-strapped Dolphins plan to create the necessary cap space to go big game hunting, because the team is presently $1.7 million under the projected salary cap for 2015," wrote Omar Kelly of the Sun-Sentinel.

"But if the Dolphins do take the necessary steps to create cap space — unloading Wallace or Brian Hartline, cutting a starting defensive tackle or two, releasing Brandon Gibson, Philip Wheeler, Cortland Finnegan and Nate Garner, and restructuring existing deals — what will they be purging the roster for?

"Fortifying the defensive tackle spot is the team's top area of concern, considering Miami struggled to stop the run in the final six games of the season ... A player like Suh could make everything better. ..."

Suh may be able to fill a hole in the Fins roster and change the tenor of their defense, but ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates sees the Oakland Raiders as the best-fitting team for Suh:

Field Yates
    Best FA fits for Ndamukong Suh
    "The Raiders aren't just one player away from competing, but the fit makes sense. From the team side, new head coach Jack Del Rio led a defense in Jacksonville (where he was head coach from 2003 to 2011) that at its best was run through its defensive tackles: John Henderson and Marcus Stroud, both high first-round picks. The Raiders, using a very conservative estimate of a 2015 salary cap of $140 million, will have north of $50 million in cap space. The team relied heavily on Antonio Smith as a defensive tackle in 2014. Smith is both light in the trunk and 33 years old, so it's a position of need. If the Raiders were to move to Los Angeles in the future, Suh would become the face of the franchise in a massive media market. Colleague Adam Schefter reported back in September that Suh would be interested in playing for New York and that Suh would understand what the market would mean for his profile. While it's no guarantee the Raiders end up in Los Angeles, that would be a nice upside benefit for Suh to consider."
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 13:37

Superman55 wrote:Darrelle Revis - DB - Patriots
    ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Jets and Bills will pursue CB Darrelle Revis if he reaches free agency this offseason.
    That's a big "if", as there have been recent reports of the Patriots seriously considering picking up Revis' $20 million team option for 2015. He had an excellent first season in New England, playing at an All-Pro level and grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 4 cover corner. The Jets and Bills' connections are easy. Revis became a star in New York under new Bills coach Rex Ryan.

Jets, Bills to pursue Darrelle Revis
    Updated: February 1, 2015, 11:28 AM ET
    By Adam Schefter | ESPN
    4K321COMMENTS226EMAILPRINT
    Darrelle Revis will have no shortage of AFC East suitors if he becomes a free agent this offseason.

[+] EnlargeDarrelle Revis
    Jim Davis/The Boston Globe/Getty Images
    Darrelle Revis will be coveted by three AFC East teams in free agency, according to sources.
    The Jets are expected to pursue Revis to see if they can bring him back to New York, sources told ESPN. The Jets have already been preparing how to best make their run at Revis.

As if that weren't intriguing enough, former Jets head coach Rex Ryan -- still disappointed his former team didn't bring Revis back last year when it had the chance -- also wants to try to bring the Pro Bowl cornerback to the Bills, sources told ESPN.

The Patriots also would like to keep Revis, though they are unlikely to exercise the $20 million option in his contract for next season, which then would make him a free agent.

Revis, who turns 30 in July, had two interceptions this season, his first with the Patriots. He thrived under Ryan with the Jets, reaching the Pro Bowl in four straight seasons from 2008 to 2011.

Tampering charges against the Jets were filed over comments that team owner Woody Johnson made in December about Revis, and the NFL has been looking into the matter, an NFL official told ESPN.

At a news conference to discuss the firing of Ryan and general manager John Idzik, Johnson openly praised Revis and added, "I'd love for Darrelle to come back."

Later that day, Johnson issued a mea culpa, saying he "misspoke" when he made his comments. He also said he called Patriots owner Robert Kraft to "emphasize those points."

Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 15:11

If they did pick up Revis at such a crazy price, then doubtful they could re-sign McCourty as well. I guess it depends how Patriots value one position vs other (CB v S).
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 16:07

Old#15 wrote:

If they did pick up Revis at such a crazy price, then doubtful they could re-sign McCourty as well.  I guess it depends how Patriots value one position vs other (CB v S).

To me, I'd take the one they let go...but I have to think CB has more value than S, but you never know with the Pats and Bill, since McCourty is younger and can play both FS and CB, they may value him more. I'd be happy grabbing the one they let go of though, even if it is to put McCourty beside Pryor.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 16:09

Tom Lewand thinks Lions have “very, very good chance” of deal with Suh in next few weeks

Posted by Josh Alper on February 1, 2015, 3:41 PM EST
    Wild Card Playoffs - Detroit Lions v Dallas Cowboys
    Getty Images
    The Lions have some time to negotiate with defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh before the start of free agency and team president Tom Lewand is optimistic that they’ll put it to good use.

During an appearance on WDIV on Sunday, Lewand said that he thought the team had “a very, very good chance” of reaching agreement on a deal with Suh in the next few weeks. The Lions already have a lot of money committed to quarterback Matthew Stafford and wide receiver Calvin Johnson and any Suh deal would push a lot of their money to three players, but Lewand said it was something the Lions could do.

“Matthew, Calvin and Ndamukong have all and very lucrative contracts under the old rookie system and even as Matthew and Calvin have done their extensions,” Lewand said. “So we’ve done that, we’ve lived in that environment. There’s no reason we can’t continue to live in that environment. We plan really well looking out into the future and where our salary goes. I think we can do that, I have no doubt we can do that with Ndamukong and make him a continuing part of the core of our football team. There’s no doubt that there are trade-outs that have to happen along the way. You can’t keep everybody because it’s a hard cap, but if you have a good nucleus of guys then the draft every year comes through and you can keep adding good players to the mix.”

Lewand says that his impression is that Suh wants to play in Detroit, although Suh said near the end of the season that his agent would be making the decision. That suggests it will come down to money, which would be at odds with the decision to re-sign with the Lions before hearing from any of the league’s other 31 teams.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 16:24

 Corey Griffin retweeted

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets
    · 5h 5 hours ago
    Unsurprising but smart PR work by the #Jets and #Bills today having Schefter drop the Revis non-story. Gets fans excited on a Pats SB day

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 16:25

Corey Griffin @CoreyGriffinNBC
    · 5h 5 hours ago

Revis is still going to go where the money is. That was always and will always be his mantra. #Jets

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 17:27

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 24h 24 hours ago
    Random but have now heard from three different people who were in AZ that Antonio Cromartie was talking nonstop about coming back to NYJ

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 24h 24 hours ago
    Who knows if that means anything or how much NYJ would pay for him in FA but thought it was interesting #Jets

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 7h 7 hours ago
    I don't think NE is letting Revis go anywhere but the contract they sign him to just may let the #Jets get a crack at McCourty in FA

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 18:58

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora · 4h 4 hours ago
    Will be very interested to see how Torrey Smith would do in a limited WR market (once Dez, Demaryius, etc) are franchised...

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora · 4h 4 hours ago
    I heard Ravens offered T.Smith 5yrs/$35M before the season with $19M guaranteed. $7M/yr is very fair. Smith started slow; finished strong
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 3 Feb 2015 - 22:31

football51 wrote:Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora  ·  4h 4 hours ago
    Will be very interested to see how Torrey Smith would do in a limited WR market (once Dez, Demaryius, etc) are franchised...

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora  ·  4h 4 hours ago
    I heard Ravens offered T.Smith 5yrs/$35M before the season with $19M guaranteed. $7M/yr is very fair. Smith started slow; finished strong

Im a big Smith fan, but Justin Houston is higher on my FA target list, especially with KC over the cap...they need to restructure and make cuts just to get under the cap and sign their rookies...let alone free up another $10-12 mill for Houston. He would be a HUGE get.
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Wed 4 Feb 2015 - 10:04

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

That would be like having Pirelli high performance tires on a Prius (Geno).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024 - 18:25