A New Community for Jets Fans


    Free Agent Rumors

    Share
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Sat 17 Jan 2015 - 13:20

    Possible OLB FA target:

    Justin Houston - LB - Chiefs
    Chiefs Digest's Herbie Teope reports there have been "zero talks" between the Chiefs and impending free agent OLB Justin Houston.
    The Chiefs made a big mistake by not locking up Houston last offseason. Houston was likely looking for something similar to the five-year, $66 million deal Clay Matthews signed in 2013, but that was before he came within a half a sack of setting the NFL's single-season record. Already up against the 2015 cap, Kansas City will find it difficult to match Houston's new asking price. Houston has 33 sacks the last two seasons.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Sat 17 Jan 2015 - 13:20

    DeMarco Murray - RB - Cowboys
    The Dallas Morning News' Jon Machota believes Joseph Randle will be the Cowboys' starting running back in 2015.
    The obvious implication of Machota's comments is he believes impending free agent DeMarco Murray will not be back with the team next season. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said it would be a "challenge" to re-sign both Murray and Dez Bryant on Thursday, and given the choice Dallas will almost certainly pick Bryant. An aging running back with a long list of injuries, Murray should be after as much guaranteed money as possible this offseason.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Sat 17 Jan 2015 - 13:23

    Will Revis stick with Patriots in '15?



    The New England Patriots have gotten everything they wanted out of Darrelle Revis this season, but his availability for 2015 is uncertain due to his contract. The Pats hold his contract option for next season, and activating that option will smack them with a $25 million salary-cap hit.

    Presumably, the salary-cap conscious Patriots will not use that option, but the two parties should be able to work out an extension that would keep him with the team for the long term.

    "I hear a lot from fans who are nervous about the Patriots losing Revis in the offseason because they’ll nickel and dime him and eventually lose him to a higher bidder, like what happened with Wes Welker," wrote Ben Volin of the Boston Globe. "But in talking to Revis, his teammates and the people closest to him, the feeling is Revis Island will be making a more permanent landing in New England.

    "It’s widely assumed the Patriots will decline the option on him in March that would pay him $20 million in bonus and salary for 2015. But Revis looks like a good bet to stay in New England for the long haul."

    Still, there is no doubt that Revis would generate a ton of interest across the league, if the Pats pass on his option:


    Field Yates
    Five who will define NFL offseason
    "Revis is technically under contract through 2015, but given that his cap number would be $25 million, it seems unlikely he'd play out the contract under those terms (note: the Patriots intentionally structured Revis' two-year deal as such, as it lowered his cap number significantly for the 2014 season). The Patriots have certainly loved having Revis around, and the veteran cornerback, by all accounts, has enjoyed his time in New England. But if the team is unable to come to terms on an extension for Revis, he immediately would become one of the most coveted players available. He changed the complexion of the Patriots' defense in 2014 and reestablished himself as one of the top defensive players in football."

    McJet
    Honorary Group Captain

    Posts : 39
    Points : 2517
    Join date : 2014-09-07

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by McJet on Sat 17 Jan 2015 - 15:05

    Superman55 wrote:Will Revis stick with Patriots in '15?



    The New England Patriots have gotten everything they wanted out of Darrelle Revis this season, but his availability for 2015 is uncertain due to his contract. The Pats hold his contract option for next season, and activating that option will smack them with a $25 million salary-cap hit.

    Presumably, the salary-cap conscious Patriots will not use that option, but the two parties should be able to work out an extension that would keep him with the team for the long term.

    "I hear a lot from fans who are nervous about the Patriots losing Revis in the offseason because they’ll nickel and dime him and eventually lose him to a higher bidder, like what happened with Wes Welker," wrote Ben Volin of the Boston Globe. "But in talking to Revis, his teammates and the people closest to him, the feeling is Revis Island will be making a more permanent landing in New England.

    "It’s widely assumed the Patriots will decline the option on him in March that would pay him $20 million in bonus and salary for 2015. But Revis looks like a good bet to stay in New England for the long haul."

    Still, there is no doubt that Revis would generate a ton of interest across the league, if the Pats pass on his option:


    Field Yates
    Five who will define NFL offseason
    "Revis is technically under contract through 2015, but given that his cap number would be $25 million, it seems unlikely he'd play out the contract under those terms (note: the Patriots intentionally structured Revis' two-year deal as such, as it lowered his cap number significantly for the 2014 season). The Patriots have certainly loved having Revis around, and the veteran cornerback, by all accounts, has enjoyed his time in New England. But if the team is unable to come to terms on an extension for Revis, he immediately would become one of the most coveted players available. He changed the complexion of the Patriots' defense in 2014 and reestablished himself as one of the top defensive players in football."

    Right, because Revis is ALL about team and would sacrifice HIS money for the betterment of the Patriots.....
    Where is that smoking a joint emoticon???
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 14:40

    Brian Orakpo - LB - Redskins
    ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim doesn't expect the team to put forth much of an effort to re-sign impending free agent OLB Brian Orakpo.
    Team brass was reportedly split on bringing Orakpo back last offseason. The Redskins used the franchise tag on him, and Orakpo registered a half-sack before landing on I.R. with a torn pectoral after Week 7. It was the third time he's torn his pec in his career. Orakpo is Evan Silva's No. 5 free agent edge rusher available behind Justin Houston, Jerry Hughes, Jason Pierre-Paul, and Greg Hardy.

    Jake Long - T - Rams
    ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner expects the team to release LT Jake Long or ask him to take a pay cut.
    Long is almost certainly going to be cut. The Rams have already said Greg Robinson will be the left tackle in 2015. Long has never played any other position in the NFL. He also has one of the lengthiest injury histories in the league. St. Louis is already projected to be over the salary cap. It can clear $8 million by releasing Long. C Scott Wells should also be an easy cut for GM Les Snead.

    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 18:48

    Werner is inactive today....punished Gia for 2.5 sacks in a quarter In the preseason...overstating the need to replace him is not possible.
    avatar
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 405
    Points : 11767
    Join date : 2014-09-06
    Location : Howard Beach, Queens NEW YORK....SON!

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by NYJETSDAN16 on Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 21:43

    I'd love for the Jets to sign Iupati, Demarius Thomas, CJ Spiller, Byron Maxwell
    Draft Scherff & Bryce Petty...

    I'd fnd this to be the start of something special

    Marac
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

    Posts : 11
    Points : 4299
    Join date : 2014-09-19

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Marac on Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 8:58

    Houston, Cromartie and Iupati would be a dream FA off-season... and we can do it....Those 3 pieces would be huge for us...

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2920
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 9:58

    Let's not get roped into the line of reasoning that says "Jets have a lot of money, therefore, we can go get anyone we want". Yes, we've got the resources to go after big name free agents, but it doesn't mean anything if the player gets tagged, decides he likes playing where he's currently playing, or just flat out doesn't like the idea of playing for a non-contender without a proven QB.

    I expect the Jets to sign a few good players this off season. I expect a few high profile targets to go somewhere else or stay put. And I expect that Manish Mehta and some fans will roast the GM for "missing out" on players that were never coming here to begin with.
    avatar
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

    Posts : 340
    Points : 1435
    Join date : 2014-10-22

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Seaver on Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 10:56

    I'd like to see what's left after they take care of the extensions needing to be done.......then be out in front of replacing players they expect to lose/let go. So much will better come into focus if/when they sign a quality FS.

    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 474
    Points : 11633
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by cysporsche on Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 12:21

    Just saying, there are 31 other teams that have Mike Lupati G 6'5"/331 (27) on their free agent wish list, why would he want to join the Jets ?

    Go Jets...Cyborg
    avatar
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

    Posts : 340
    Points : 1435
    Join date : 2014-10-22

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Seaver on Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 12:24

    cysporsche wrote:Just saying, there are 31 other teams that have Mike Lupati G 6'5"/331 (27) on their free agent wish list, why would he want to join the Jets ?

    Go Jets...Cyborg

    one can always hope he is a closet Jets fan? Suspect
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42429
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by SackExchange on Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 12:29

    Much more cap room that almost every other team?
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 13:51

    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:I'd love for the Jets to sign Iupati, Demarius Thomas, CJ Spiller,  Byron Maxwell
    Draft Scherff & Bryce Petty...

    I'd fnd this to be the start of something special

    Wow...

    Well, I'd live with Wilkerson and Harrison resigned (the above may have them walking out the door next year).

    I didn't know Maxwell was a free agent. He's now at the top of my wish list beside Iupati. Maxwell is 26.

    Wilkerson and Harrison resigned
    Maxwell, Iupati, and Spiller would be a haul...

    ...then draft White WR.

    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 13:52

    Blindsidebrick wrote:Let's not get roped into the line of reasoning that says "Jets have a lot of money, therefore, we can go get anyone we want". Yes, we've got the resources to go after big name free agents, but it doesn't mean anything if the player gets tagged, decides he likes playing where he's currently playing, or just flat out doesn't like the idea of playing for a non-contender without a proven QB.

    I expect the Jets to sign a few good players this off season. I expect a few high profile targets to go somewhere else or stay put. And I expect that Manish Mehta and some fans will roast the GM for "missing out" on players that were never coming here to begin with.

    Agreed. which is why I havent even mentioned D. Thomas or Dez, I expect them to get tagged.
    avatar
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 124
    Points : 9051
    Join date : 2014-09-11

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by NCgreen12 on Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 17:25



    Didn't Iupati give up the most sacks in the NFL for a guard (also gave up 22 hurries which is a lot). He would definitely be an upgrade cause he may be one of the best run blocking guards but would be very expensive piece and a guy that seems to have challenges with his pass blocking. Just saying.

    Would Orlando Franklin be a better choice. If Payton doesn't come back maybe they won't re-sign him.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 17:34

    NCgreen12 wrote:

    Didn't Iupati give up the most sacks in the NFL for a guard (also gave up 22 hurries which is a lot). He would definitely be an upgrade cause he may be one of the best run blocking guards but would be very expensive piece and a guy that seems to have challenges with his pass blocking. Just saying.

    Would Orlando Franklin be a better choice. If Payton doesn't come back maybe they won't re-sign him.  


    Elway in his press conference last week said the priority was to resign J & D Thomas this offseason and he may have to reshuffle the oline in the process. I expect Franklin to walk.
    avatar
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

    Posts : 560
    Points : 5212
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by GratefulJet on Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 22:29

    Superman55 wrote:
    NCgreen12 wrote:

    Didn't Iupati give up the most sacks in the NFL for a guard (also gave up 22 hurries which is a lot). He would definitely be an upgrade cause he may be one of the best run blocking guards but would be very expensive piece and a guy that seems to have challenges with his pass blocking. Just saying.

    Would Orlando Franklin be a better choice. If Payton doesn't come back maybe they won't re-sign him.  


    Elway in his press conference last week said the priority was to resign J & D Thomas this offseason and he may have to reshuffle the oline in the process.  I expect Franklin to walk.
     
    Pro Football Focus had this to say about Franklin:

    "Orlando Franklin has been Denver’s highest-graded lineman and ranks second in the league among guards with a Pass Block Efficiency of 98.6.  The main knock on his stellar season of work is the high number of penalties (10), third-most among guards."

    Sounds like he'd be a great get, especially as he can also play RT. I don't know what kind of penalties he tends to get flagged for (holding, false start, etc.) but we need better pass blocking on the OL interior.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 10:55

    Randall Cobb - WR - Packers
    Free agent Randall Cobb said his preference is to re-sign with the Packers.
    Of course Cobb would like to stay with the team that drafted him, one that has a future Hall of Fame quarterback in Aaron Rodgers. That doesn't mean he'll be giving a hometown discount. Cobb, our No. 3 free agent WR behind only Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas, is going to fetch big-time offers on the open market -- likely in the range of the $45M extension with $15M guaranteed Victor Cruz landed. Considering Davante Adams and Jeff Janis are under contract cheaply, Packers GM Ted Thompson may choose to allocate his funds elsewhere come March.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 9:24

    I think the Jets will steal Spiller and the Bills will steal David Harris and there will be a ton of stories about Rex purging players from the jets and Gaily stealing players from the Bills; but the first time I see Harris caught in coverage vs Harvin or Spiller, I will have a big smile on my face for sure....because it always drove me nuts seeing Pace or Harris in coverage.

    McJet
    Honorary Group Captain

    Posts : 39
    Points : 2517
    Join date : 2014-09-07

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by McJet on Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 23:08

    Superman55 wrote:I think the Jets will steal Spiller and the Bills will steal David Harris and there will be a ton of stories about Rex purging players from the jets and Gaily stealing players from the Bills; but the first time I see Harris caught in coverage vs Harvin or Spiller, I will have a big smile on my face for sure....because it always drove me nuts seeing Pace or Harris in coverage.


    +1,000
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42429
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by SackExchange on Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 15:41

    Jets could use a QB. Belichick threw Brady under the bus today regarding deflation. His restructured contract would make it cap-negligible to cut him.

    Hmmmm...
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10668
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by NickSINYC on Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 15:48

    SackExchange wrote:Jets could use a QB. Belichick threw Brady under the bus today regarding deflation. His restructured contract would make it cap-negligible to cut him.

    Hmmmm...

    Word is Brady pushed his presser back about a half hour and held a players only meeting to talk with teammates

    I doubt he confesses to anything at the press conference but it sets up that way
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42429
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by SackExchange on Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 15:49

    NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:Jets could use a QB. Belichick threw Brady under the bus today regarding deflation. His restructured contract would make it cap-negligible to cut him.

    Hmmmm...

    Word is Brady pushed his presser back about a half hour  and held a players only meeting to talk with teammates

    I doubt he confesses to anything at the press conference but it sets up that way
    He had to recover from the bus that ran over him earlier, after Belichick threw him under it.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2920
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 16:09

    Can't wait to hear Brady talk this down in about 10 mins.

    He laughed at it last week on the radio. Let's see what he's got to say now.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017 - 6:29