Free Agent Rumors

football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Re: Free Agent Rumors

Post by football51 on Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 16:09

SackExchange wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:Jets could use a QB. Belichick threw Brady under the bus today regarding deflation. His restructured contract would make it cap-negligible to cut him.

Hmmmm...

Word is Brady pushed his presser back about a half hour  and held a players only meeting to talk with teammates

I doubt he confesses to anything at the press conference but it sets up that way
    He had to recover from the bus that ran over him earlier, after Belichick threw him under it.

Some think that this is an orchestrated plan by the "genius". We'll find out tomorrow.

Corey Griffin @CoreyGriffinNBC · 16m 16 minutes ago
    Having Brady cop to deflating the balls would be kind of brilliant. Avoid repeat offender status, avoid loss of pick. Brady gets fined.

McJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by McJet on Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 19:20

Well they both pleaded ignorant so let's see the hammer fall. If no one knows then it falls on the entire organization.
    Hit the organization with the fine and a draft pick, then seeing how Belichick is a second time offender some sort of suspension should be in order.
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange on Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 19:40

McJet wrote:Well they both pleaded ignorant so let's see the hammer fall. If no one knows then it falls on the entire organization.
    Hit the organization with the fine and a draft pick, then seeing how Belichick is a second time offender some sort of suspension should be in order.
    They can't exactly make the argument they cooperated and owned up to it if everyone is in full denial mode.
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 7:34

I know he's 31 and on the downside of his career, so I'll be in the minority with this statement, but of Tamba Hali shakes out of KC, I'd love to see us add him.  That guy plays all over the field and has been one of my favorite non-Jets for awhile.

Marac
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Marac on Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 10:40

I see a lot of value in bringing in Tamba Hali,, He could be an upgrade on Pace for 2-4 years... However what I'd like to see even more would be The Jets signing Derrek Morgen olb/de away from the Titans... He's 26, he has shown that he can play both standing up and with his hand in the dirt...He is the player that we all hoped that Coples would be.....
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 11:04

Marac wrote:I see a lot of value in bringing in Tamba Hali,, He could be an upgrade on Pace for 2-4 years... However what I'd like to see even more would be The Jets signing Derrek Morgen olb/de away from the Titans... He's 26, he has shown that he can play both standing up and with his hand in the dirt...He is the player that we all hoped that Coples would be.....

Well, the guy who helped develop Wake and Misi is our DC, so it will be interesting to see the type of players we target at OLB. I think there's a good chance we grab Houston.

I wouldn't be too hard on Coples in your comparison to Morgan. If you compare Coples first 3 years in the NFL to Morgan's first 3 years in the NFL, Coples has made a much faster transition. Morgan was a 4-3 DE in college that had to make a big adjustment in the NFL and was considered a bust after his first 2 years in the league and only recently came on. I honestly dont see him as much of an upgrade to Coples.

It would be like having 2 Coples, IMO.

I still think we target 26 year old Justin Houston coming off 10, 11, and then a 22 sack season... We have money to burn, so we likely try to land a sack artist, and he's the biggest one out there.

Marac
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Marac on Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 12:07

I'd take Houston all day cheers

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche on Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 12:27

I'd rather go after Houston OLB than Lupati G. Lupati is an average pass blocker and will demand too much $$$ for a guard in free agency.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge on Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 13:03

The problem we are going to have is not spending money, but spending money wisely.  We've all seen big spenders in every sport come up empty.   Over spending on  players that don't fit your system or who are not team players doesn't work.  I'd much prefer us to try to resign all our good players (especially Mo) to long term deals and then look at 4-5 solid guys who can contribute at key spots rather than making 1 or 2 big ticket purchases.  If we have to spend a little extra to get a cornerback, we might be stuck doing that

Lock up Mo
    Get the best CB you can get regardless of price
    See if you can get a legit QB at a reasonable price, which we almost surely will be able to do
    Sign a decent, solid guy at G, TE, WR, LB
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Fri 23 Jan 2015 - 13:05

Sarge wrote:The problem we are going to have is not spending money, but spending money wisely.  We've all seen big spenders in every sport come up empty.   Over spending on  players that don't fit your system or who are not team players doesn't work.  I'd much prefer us to try to resign all our good players (especially Mo) to long term deals and then look at 4-5 solid guys who can contribute at key spots rather than making 1 or 2 big ticket purchases.  If we have to spend a little extra to get a cornerback, we might be stuck doing that

We should try to get Wilkerson and Harrison resigned before we head into free agency, IMO.
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 on Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 16:52

 Joe Caporoso retweeted

Evan Silva @evansilva
    · 5h 5 hours ago
    Impending #Seahawks FA Byron Maxwell is 6'0/202 with vines for arms and can play both slot CB & outside. He's gonna get paid this offseason.

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche on Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 17:48

Superman55 wrote:
    Sarge wrote:The problem we are going to have is not spending money, but spending money wisely.  We've all seen big spenders in every sport come up empty.   Over spending on  players that don't fit your system or who are not team players doesn't work.  I'd much prefer us to try to resign all our good players (especially Mo) to long term deals and then look at 4-5 solid guys who can contribute at key spots rather than making 1 or 2 big ticket purchases.  If we have to spend a little extra to get a cornerback, we might be stuck doing that

We should try to get Wilkerson and Harrison resigned before we head into free agency, IMO.

+1 agree. Priority #1, lock up our star players before F/A begins.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick on Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 19:08

football51 wrote:
     Joe Caporoso retweeted  

Evan Silva @evansilva  
     ·  5h 5 hours ago  
    Impending #Seahawks FA Byron Maxwell is 6'0/202 with vines for arms and can play both slot CB & outside. He's gonna get paid this offseason.

He's my preference in FA for the CB position. Kareem Jackson #2, Antonio Cromartie as the fall back option.
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 9:52

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    football51 wrote:
     Joe Caporoso retweeted  

Evan Silva @evansilva  
     ·  5h 5 hours ago  

He's my preference in FA for the CB position. Kareem Jackson #2, Antonio Cromartie as the fall back option.

It's worth keeping in mind that Kareem Jackson was one of Maccagnan's guys down in Houston, so there will be a strong familiarity. Will be interesting to see if he is pursued by us.

Maxwell gets the benefit of playing in the same secondary as Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor, and he's probably the 4th best player in that Legion of Boom. So one wonders how he would fare going from being a supporting member in the league's best secondary to suddenly being The Guy in a secondary that some will argue was one of the league's worst.

Neither he nor Cromartie grade out very well at PFF, for whatever that's worth. (They like Jackson best of the FA CBs.)
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet on Mon 26 Jan 2015 - 10:01

Lock up Mo
    Get the best CB you can get regardless of price
    See if you can get a legit QB at a reasonable price, which we almost surely will be able to do
    Sign a decent, solid guy at G, TE, WR, LB

Sarge, the best guy out there at G is Orlando Franklin, at least according to Pro Football Focus. In fact, they rate him 2nd best guard in the league at pass blocking. Football Outsiders also ranks the Denver OL very highly at pass blocking in the interior (they don't grade individual players on the OL). He's a year younger than Iupati too, who is better at run blocking. He would be my first choice to upgrade the OL in FA.

How about Charles Clay at TE? He's pretty solid every time we play the Phish, and we'd be taking from a rival, which is always a good thing.

Brandon Spikes is a better ILB than the departing David Harris, and again comes from a division rival.
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 7:57

Rotoworld reports:

Justin Houston's agent met with Kc's GMDorsey at senior bowl and Houston reportedly wants negotiations to begin at $10 mill per season.

Dallas to consider replacing Murray with free agent Ingram RB Saints.
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 on Tue 27 Jan 2015 - 14:41

cysporsche wrote:I'd rather go after Houston OLB than Lupati G. Lupati is an average pass blocker and will demand too much $$$ for a guard in free agency.

Go Jets...Cyborg

That's what this defense has been lacking since John Abraham left. Houston would be a beast in Bowles defense.

I like Iupati alot, especially his mauling nature, though i think we have some pretty good up & coming guards on the team with Aboushi & Dozier.
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 16:01

Jason Worilds - LB - Steelers
    The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jimmy Kempski mentions OLB Jason Worilds as a free agent the Eagles could target.
    Interestingly, ESPN's Adam Caplan tweeted back in August that Worilds "would have signed with the Eagles" had he not been slapped with the transition tag by the Steelers last offseason. It indicates there was mutual interest from both sides. The Eagles will be on the hunt for a starting outside linebacker with Brandon Graham heading for free agency and Trent Cole a lock to be cut.
    Related: Eagles

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick on Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 17:54

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:I'd rather go after Houston OLB than Lupati G. Lupati is an average pass blocker and will demand too much $$$ for a guard in free agency.

Go Jets...Cyborg

That's what this defense has been lacking since John Abraham left. Houston would be a beast in Bowles defense.

I like Iupati alot, especially his mauling nature, though i think we have some pretty good up & coming guards on the team with Aboushi & Dozier.

I'd be shocked if KC let Houston go. You don't let pass rushing animals like that get away.
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 20:34

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

I'd be shocked if KC let Houston go. You don't let pass rushing animals like that get away.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/kansas-city-chiefs/

As of today, despite an anticipated $25 mill cap jump in 2015, KC sits $6 mill over the cap...they will have to cut players and restructure deals just to get under the cap...let alone free up another $10 mill per to sign Houston.  He's not anticipated back, but maybe they free up ~$30 mill to make it happen ($6 mill to get under the cap, $10 mill for houston, and $12 mill to sign rookies...).

Note their cap situation is so bad they let 4 starting olineman walk last year...

But we'll see, maybe you're right.

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick on Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 22:52

[quote="Superman55"][quote="Blindsidebrick"]
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

Don't get me wrong. I'd sign Houston in a millisecond if he became available, and KC decided they didn't want to re-work some deals. He's an elite player, both as a pass rusher and run stopper. And any Jets fan who's paying attention knows how badly we could use one of those types of 3-4 OLB's. It'd be a big boost to the defense. He and Maxwell or Cromartie would essentially fix the defense. And the cap room is there.

But consider me skeptical in regards to whether or not it really happens. You just don't let pass rushers of this caliber walk. I'd be more inclined to believe that Bowles will lobby Maccagnan for a few AZ Cardinals defenders this offseason in addressing the D. I predict Cro will return. Just a gut feeling.

Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 on Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 7:19

http://nypost.com/2015/01/28/free-agent-to-be-cromartie-open-to-returning-to-jets/

Wouldn't be shocked if Cro is back. He seems like a good fit even if I'd prefer Maxwell.

lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 on Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 11:32

At the right price we need to sign Cro. He isn't the Cro of 2012 but he is better than what we have and one of the better CB's on the FA market.. Plus he knows Bowles system, bonus, and he understands NY and performs well here all bonuses in my book... OH yeah and he wants to come back... Big bonus!!

lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 on Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 11:39

And after I posted this I just got really angry at Idzik, LOL..... So glad he is gone... You know how cheap we could have had Cro for last year and he didn't want him back.... Everyone knew Cro was injured for 2013 and sure maybe you are scared of that injury lingering in 2014 but man with all that cap space how do you not sign him to a team friendly $2-3 million contract like AZ did.... With OUR CB situation... Hell and still sign Patterson, yes I know it turned out awful, but you start getting your bases covered... UGHHHHHHHH. SO GLAD THAT MORON IS GONE......
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet on Thu 29 Jan 2015 - 11:40

lnap23 wrote:At the right price we need to sign Cro. He isn't the Cro of 2012 but he is better than what we have and one of the better CB's on the FA market.. Plus he knows Bowles system, bonus, and he understands NY and performs well here all bonuses in my book... OH yeah and he wants to come back... Big bonus!!
    FWIW, he'll be a lot cheaper than Maxwell, who can nail down a, well, max contract with a big-time performance Sunday.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017 - 22:11