A New Community for Jets Fans


    Free Agent Rumors

    Share
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:55

    SackExchange wrote:To me, Mo is a bigger priority than Snacks, though I would want to keep both. It's a tough spot. Most likely, Snacks gets taken care of first with a tender, and Mo later gets an extension, maybe late in camp. Richardson will get his, but he still has a couple years left on his rookie deal. I want to lock him up, but not until there's one year left on the deal.

    And I'd rather keep Harvin than let him walk and pursue Maclin, though it's close.

    The good news is, with a ton of cap room and not that many guys coming off deals, the money is there for the Jets. Snacks will certainly get a raise, but since he was already under contract, it won't be that huge a divot from cap space.

    IMO, you lock up Mo and Snacks, front load the deal, and make it cap friendly long term. Neither seems like the kind of guy that would get $10-$20 mill this year and hold out 2 years from now and ask for a restructured deal.

    Take the cap hit this year when we likely stink again, and have them both signed to cap friendly deals for the future.
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42429
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by SackExchange on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 11:00

    The question with Harvin is, can you do better in the draft? This year, the answer would likely be no, aside from Cooper. Last year, there were far more options.

    I guess if you go Cooper first round, then you can let Harvin go. But I would not restructure his contract. The Jets have the cap space this year to not need to restructure him for the sake of saving $3-4MM. So why do it and make a long-term commitment to him when you don't have to?
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42429
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by SackExchange on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 11:03

    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:To me, Mo is a bigger priority than Snacks, though I would want to keep both. It's a tough spot. Most likely, Snacks gets taken care of first with a tender, and Mo later gets an extension, maybe late in camp. Richardson will get his, but he still has a couple years left on his rookie deal. I want to lock him up, but not until there's one year left on the deal.

    And I'd rather keep Harvin than let him walk and pursue Maclin, though it's close.

    The good news is, with a ton of cap room and not that many guys coming off deals, the money is there for the Jets. Snacks will certainly get a raise, but since he was already under contract, it won't be that huge a divot from cap space.

    IMO, you lock up Mo and Snacks, front load the deal, and make it cap friendly long term.  Neither seems like the kind of guy that would get $10-$20 mill this year and hold out 2 years from now and ask for a restructured deal.

    Take the cap hit this year when we likely stink again, and have them both signed to cap friendly deals for the future.
    This is exactly why I expected Mo to be signed. I have long thought the huge cap room should be used in this way.

    There are guys you don't frontload (see Revis, Darrelle). They always whine about the back end. But I doubt Snacks would do that, and I would almost bet my house Mo wouldn't.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 11:05

    SackExchange wrote:The question with Harvin is, can you do better in the draft? This year, the answer would likely be no, aside from Cooper. Last year, there were far more options.

    I guess if you go Cooper first round, then you can let Harvin go. But I would not restructure his contract. The Jets have the cap space this year to not need to restructure him for the sake of saving $3-4MM. So why do it and make a long-term commitment to him when you don't have to?

    Agreed. It is that simple and why I dont understand the cries to restructure. Maybe in the future when others need to be paid and the room isnt there...but we have more room then we'll spend again, IMO.


    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 474
    Points : 11633
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by cysporsche on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 11:15

    If Harvin does not restructure our new GM might let him walk. If Rex takes David Harris to the Bills & Harvin walks, that would free up a ton of cap money.

    Go Jets...Cyborg
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42429
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by SackExchange on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 11:19

    cysporsche wrote:If Harvin does not restructure our new GM might let him walk. If Rex takes David Harris to the Bills & Harvin walks, that would free up a ton of cap money.

    Go Jets...Cyborg
    Why? Why would Maccagnan let Harvin walk away from a dream deal, from a team's perspective? For that matter, why would Maccagnan even want Harvin to restructure?

    You do know that restructuring would force the Jets to guarantee some of the money, thereby forcing dead money on them if they ever cut him. The way his deal is now, the Jets can keep him as long as they want for several years, taking it one year at a time, with no dead money on future caps.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 11:30

    cysporsche wrote:If Harvin does not restructure our new GM might let him walk. If Rex takes David Harris to the Bills & Harvin walks, that would free up a ton of cap money.

    Go Jets...Cyborg

    the $50 mill in cap space includes David Harris not being here...

    ...and $50 mill or $60 mill, not sure it matters much with no CBs, QBs, or #1 WRs on the market...except Revis, Dez, and D. Thomas that is.

    Dez and D. Thomas will be franchised, and I dont really want Revis.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12891
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by football51 on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 14:58

    Superman55 wrote:...not a rumor, just a note, but another name to watch will be Nate Allen S Eagles.  Bowles coached him for a year with the Eagles and he's coming off a career year with 4 INTs.  He's only 27. Not saying anything against our own Allen, but just throwing it out there.



    Also, our NT Harrison and S Jarrett are restricted free agents I'd like to see us keep from the Bills.  Im sure we'll give Harrison a first rd tender (fingers crossed).  One could see the Bills make a run at both guys.




    Kyle Williams is a Pro Bowl NT for Buffalo. I don't see them going after Snacks.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2920
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 15:03

    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:The question with Harvin is, can you do better in the draft? This year, the answer would likely be no, aside from Cooper. Last year, there were far more options.

    I guess if you go Cooper first round, then you can let Harvin go. But I would not restructure his contract. The Jets have the cap space this year to not need to restructure him for the sake of saving $3-4MM. So why do it and make a long-term commitment to him when you don't have to?

    Agreed.  It is that simple and why I dont understand the cries to restructure.  Maybe in the future when others need to be paid and the room isnt there...but we have more room then we'll spend again, IMO.


    You think Harvin is a deal at 10 million next year? A guy who's not even a traditional #1 receiver. He was a gadget receiver more than anything else.

    I'm not necessarily pro or con with him staying. I'm just saying he'll be overpaid at that number.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 15:38

    Blindsidebrick wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:The question with Harvin is, can you do better in the draft? This year, the answer would likely be no, aside from Cooper. Last year, there were far more options.

    I guess if you go Cooper first round, then you can let Harvin go. But I would not restructure his contract. The Jets have the cap space this year to not need to restructure him for the sake of saving $3-4MM. So why do it and make a long-term commitment to him when you don't have to?

    Agreed.  It is that simple and why I dont understand the cries to restructure.  Maybe in the future when others need to be paid and the room isnt there...but we have more room then we'll spend again, IMO.


    You think Harvin is a deal at 10 million next year? A guy who's not even a traditional #1 receiver. He was a gadget receiver more than anything else.

    I'm not necessarily pro or con with him staying. I'm just saying he'll be overpaid at that number.

    Please read above two quotes and identify where someone said they think Harvin is a deal at $10 million. No need to respond if you cannot find such a statement.
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42429
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by SackExchange on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 15:41

    It's not that he's a deal at $10MM. It's that he's a deal at $0 guaranteed after next year. You could restructure, but you are making a long-term commitment to him if you do.

    The Jets have the cap room now. Why mortgage future cap space to boost our current cap number, when our current cap number is already good?

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2920
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 15:51

    SackExchange wrote:It's not that he's a deal at $10MM. It's that he's a deal at $0 guaranteed after next year. You could restructure, but you are making a long-term commitment to him if you do.

    The Jets have the cap room now. Why mortgage future cap space to boost our current cap number, when our current cap number is already good?

    I'm looking at it from the angle of why spend 10 million on a guy, who's not worth that much, even if we have a lot of cap room? Just because we have a lot of cap space (for me anyway) doesn't justify paying a non #1 WR 10 million dollars. I understand the dead money part of this, I'm just saying we could also lower his cap hit this year, extend him a year or two at a reduced annual salary, or just release him all together if we can land a true #1 in free agency like Demaryus Thomas.

    By the way, thanks for the respectful response Sack. I always appreciate that, as opposed to responding like an arrogant ass hat.
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10668
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by NickSINYC on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 16:00

    SackExchange wrote:It's not that he's a deal at $10MM. It's that he's a deal at $0 guaranteed after next year. You could restructure, but you are making a long-term commitment to him if you do.

    The Jets have the cap room now. Why mortgage future cap space to boost our current cap number, when our current cap number is already good?

    That's how I look at it and I think Gailey would find ways for him to excel and worth the extra few mill this year.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 17:27

    NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:It's not that he's a deal at $10MM. It's that he's a deal at $0 guaranteed after next year. You could restructure, but you are making a long-term commitment to him if you do.

    The Jets have the cap room now. Why mortgage future cap space to boost our current cap number, when our current cap number is already good?

    That's how I look at it and I think Gailey would find ways for him to excel and worth the extra few mill this year.

    This is the more intelligent way to look at it.  I would agree...and if we land Spiller that would give us two homerun hitters on the field at 1 time freeing up space for Decker, Amaro, and Ivory...that would be fun to watch.

    cutting CJ2k to free up $4 mill in cap space would be far more intiligent than guaranteeing Harvin's deal over the same $3-4 mill and causing long term cap issues. I'm glad some of these Mike T proposals are falling on def ears.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2920
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 17:31

    Superman55 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:It's not that he's a deal at $10MM. It's that he's a deal at $0 guaranteed after next year. You could restructure, but you are making a long-term commitment to him if you do.

    The Jets have the cap room now. Why mortgage future cap space to boost our current cap number, when our current cap number is already good?

    That's how I look at it and I think Gailey would find ways for him to excel and worth the extra few mill this year.

    This is the more intelligent way to look at it.  I would agree...and if we land Spiller that would give us two homerun hitters on the field at 1 time freeing up space for Decker, Amaro, and Ivory...that would be fun to watch.

    cutting CJ2k to free up $4 mill in cap space would be far more intiligent than guaranteeing Harvin's deal over the same $3-4 mill and causing long term cap issues.  I'm glad some of these Mike T proposals are falling on def ears.

    No, not really. It has zero to do with intelligence. And everything to do with opinion.

    It's usually about opinions around here. Despite some people feeling intellectually superior.
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 17:40

    If putting us in a worse cap situation was smart, your opinions would be brilliant.
    avatar
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1343
    Points : 12891
    Join date : 2014-09-02

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by football51 on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 17:48

    Come on now........... wrong site.

    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

    Posts : 401
    Points : 2920
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Blindsidebrick on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 18:20

    football51 wrote:Come on now........... wrong site.

    You're right. Why bother.
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42429
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by SackExchange on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 21:54

    Guys, seriously. Show respect when you respond. Believe it or not, other posters have good ideas, too.

    I do NOT want this board spiraling into Jets Insider.
    avatar
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 685
    Points : 13369
    Join date : 2014-08-28
    Location : Alabama

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Sarge on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 22:28

    Can we all agree that in my prime, I'd kick all your asses in tether ball
    avatar
    SackExchange
    Moderator
    Moderator

    Posts : 1092
    Points : 42429
    Join date : 2014-08-29
    Age : 42

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by SackExchange on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 22:31

    Sarge wrote:Can we all agree that in my prime, I'd kick all your asses in tether ball
    It depends on how much alcohol is involved.
    avatar
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

    Posts : 1235
    Points : 10668
    Join date : 2014-09-01

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by NickSINYC on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 22:43

    SackExchange wrote:
    Sarge wrote:Can we all agree that in my prime, I'd kick all your asses in tether ball
    It depends on how much alcohol is involved.

    my money is on the dog

    avatar
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 685
    Points : 13369
    Join date : 2014-08-28
    Location : Alabama

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Sarge on Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 22:47

    I can't compete with that

    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 474
    Points : 11633
    Join date : 2014-09-05

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by cysporsche on Sat 17 Jan 2015 - 11:49

    SackExchange wrote:Guys, seriously. Show respect when you respond. Believe it or not, other posters have good ideas, too.

    I do NOT want this board spiraling into Jets Insider.


    Too late Sack. Does this board suspend rude posters ?

    Go Jets...Cyborg
    avatar
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

    Posts : 1660
    Points : 19549
    Join date : 2014-09-08

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Superman55 on Sat 17 Jan 2015 - 13:18

    Antonio Cromartie - DB - Cardinals
    ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini believes impending free agent CB Antonio Cromartie could return to the Jets.
    Cromartie played under new Jets coach Todd Bowles in Arizona last season and called him a "great hire" in a recent interview. With the Jets secondary in shambles, a reunion may make sense for both sides. Cromartie had 13 interceptions across four seasons with the Jets from 2010-13.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Free Agent Rumors

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat 21 Oct 2017 - 6:30