Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+14
MachinaVerde
Old#15
GratefulJet
NCgreen12
Marac
NYJETSDAN16
McJet
Superman55
Sarge
NickSINYC
football51
lnap23
Seaver
hobson54
18 posters

Free Agent Rumors

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Free Agent Rumors Empty Free Agent Rumors

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 7:40

I know we're a month and a half away from free agency beginning, but I thought I'd start a thread for articles.

This was interesting.  Spiller's quotes would lead one to believe Jets are towards the top of his list.

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-spiller-good-jets-gailey-article-1.2080522
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Free Agent Rumors Empty Re: Free Agent Rumors

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 8:42

...not a rumor, just a note, but another name to watch will be Nate Allen S Eagles. Bowles coached him for a year with the Eagles and he's coming off a career year with 4 INTs. He's only 27. Not saying anything against our own Allen, but just throwing it out there.

Also, our NT Harrison and S Jarrett are restricted free agents I'd like to see us keep from the Bills. Im sure we'll give Harrison a first rd tender (fingers crossed). One could see the Bills make a run at both guys.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 8:43

Price tag for UFA Jeremy Maclin
    January, 13, 2015
    JAN 13
    12:01
    PM ET
    By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
    03COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
    The Philadelphia Eagles made the bold move of releasing DeSean Jackson, their No. 1 wide receiver, last offseason. They replaced him atop the depth chart with Jeremy Maclin, who came through with a career-best campaign (85 receptions for 1,318 yards and 10 TDs) in 2014.

Now the Eagles are going to have to figure out a way to keep Maclin in the fold for 2015, because he is set to become an unrestricted free agent. What will it cost them to re-sign their top pass-catcher?

"He's a $10 million per year receiver based on what he did," Joel Corry of the National Football Post told Birds 24/7. "You want to say his numbers are inflated by the system? Yeah, you could say that to a degree. But what can drive it more than anything else, and I can't stress this enough, is having a viable alternative."

Corry, a former NFL agent, believes Maclin will net at least $20 million guaranteed. He also expects Maclin's former Eagles coach, Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid, to offer such a viable alternative.

"I think Philadelphia needs to be very careful about how they play this whole Maclin situation, knowing that there is someone that is very familiar with him that desperately needs a receiver," said Corry. "They could be willing to pay him."

The Eagles also have the option of using the franchise tag on Maclin, though that likely will cost them around $12 million in 2015.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 8:43

4:07
    PM ET
    By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
    42COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
    The two-year contract that Wes Welker inked when he joined the Denver Broncos has run its course, meaning he will be an unrestricted free agent during the offseason.

The questions going forward are whether he will retire, return to the Broncos or play elsewhere in 2015.

"Welker, 33, has suffered several concussions over the last two seasons, and his friends and fans want him to start thinking about retirement so he doesn’t put himself at risk for significant brain damage," wrote Ben Volin of the Boston Globe.

When asked Monday if he would like to re-sign with the Broncos, Welker said, "I don't know. There's a lot of things I need to figure out."

Not surprisingly, Welker and others were chippy during Sunday's loss.

"At one point during the 24-13 loss to the Indianapolis Colts, [Peyton] Manning and wide receiver Wes Welker -- usually the two guys on the same page -- were going back and forth after an incompletion," noted ESPN Broncos reporter Jeff Legwold.

While that spat may have been an isolated incident during a frustrating loss, Welker surely couldn't have been thrilled by his reduced role this season. He was targeted only 64 times in 14 games after seeing 110 passes come his way in 13 games last season.

If he does play in 2015, he may seek a larger role elsewhere.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 8:44

Brandon Carr needs to take a pay cut or get cut

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 16, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
    Dallas Cowboys v Philadelphia Eagles
    Getty Images
    Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr has two more seasons left on the five-year, $50.1 million contract he signed in 2012, but he may have played his last game in Dallas.

Carr will count $12.7 million against the salary cap for 2015, and that’s just more than he’s worth. So, as the Star-Telegram notes, it’s either take a pay cut or get cut.

Cowboys owner and General Manager Jerry Jones said he doesn’t want to do the type of restructuring of Carr’s deal that would just push money to future years.

“There’s an issue of going and borrowing some money, borrowing it in the sense of hedging, taking money from future years,” Jones said. “There’s an issue there. Carr played well this year and I’m not as critical of Carr as others. But that’s a lot of money. One thing that we just got to do is we’ve got to make sure that every way we can, we get the value for the money.”

Carr has started every game since he’s been with the Cowboys, and they’d miss him if they released him. But with the Cowboys already in bad enough cap shape that they can’t afford to keep both Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray, it seems unlikely that they can afford to keep Carr. Unless he’s willing to play for a lot less than $12.7 million.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 8:45

C.J. Spiller likes the sound of Chan Gailey and the Jets

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 16, 2015, 7:34 AM EST
    C.J. Spiller, Chan Gailey
    AP
    Soon-to-be free agent C.J. Spiller isn’t sure where he’s going to land.

But seeing his old coach Chan Gailey land with the Jets has given him another potential destination to think about.

Spiller told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News that the Jets bringing in Gailey as offensive coordinator would be a coup, and something to make him consider the team.

“There is that familiarity between me and him in that offense,” Spiller told the Daily News on Thursday. “So that would be a perfect match. Who knows what can happen, but I’d be foolish not to have those guys on my list. I had my best years in the league with Chan. So it’d be dumb not to give it serious thought.”

Spiller averaged 6.0 yards per carry, had 1,703 yards from scrimmage and eight touchdowns in 2012 under Gailey, but wasn’t able to repeat that under Doug Marrone.

Regardless if he ends up there, he thinks Gailey’s a good fit for a Jets Offense that needs all the help it can get.
    “When you look at guys on that roster, Chan’s going to find ways to get those guys the ball and move them around,” Spiller said. “That’s the thing that I love. He loves moving his guys around so they can keep defenses off balance.

“In Buffalo, he had so much on his plate. I can only imagine the things that he’s going to be able to do now.”

And if the Jets decide to spend money this offseason, they might be able to do them with Spiller.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 8:47

Jerry Hughes - DL - Bills
    The Bills have started talks with impending free agent DE Jerry Hughes.
    "We’re excited and we want him back," were the words of GM Doug Whaley. "He’s a great part of our defense and hopefully we can get it done sooner rather than later." The 26-year-old defensive end started all 16 games for the Bills this season, and finished tied for second on the team with 10 sacks. Hughes graded out as PFF's No. 14 defensive end.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 9:45

I have to admit, dumping Chris Johnson and picking up CJ Spiller is incredibly enticing. Also, despite one monster game, I would not be upset if Jarrett walked, as long as there was someone brought in for FS so Pryor can play SS.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 9:54

SackExchange wrote:I have to admit, dumping Chris Johnson and picking up CJ Spiller is incredibly enticing. Also, despite one monster game, I would not be upset if Jarrett walked, as long as there was someone brought in for FS so Pryor can play SS.

I dont think Antonio Allen will be handed the job, which is why I think Nate Allen is a name to watch.

Also, agreed on Spiller. I'd love to see formations where Spiller motions out of the backfield where Harvin is on one side, Spiller on the other, and Ivory is behind the QB...speed left, speed right, hammer up the middle...will be tough to match-up with...we just need a QB that recognizes the mismatch and make the right call.

Playing with Chan Gaily got Fitzpatrick that 6 year $60 mill deal...I do think that is a target.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 9:55

thanks for starting this up 55.

yes on spiller (side note - mehta couldn't resist taking a shot at marrone in his article). he is injury prone which worries me a little, but would make a great tandem with ivory (and trio with powell if we re-sign him)

i like maclin, but don't think we will go after him. might as well keep harvin on his existing deal (or hopefully restructure for a more cap friendly long-term deal)

definitely pass on welker. he is done and one shot away from retirement

we must keep snacks. jarrett i like and would like to keep him as well. but snacks is a top priority.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:00

hobson54 wrote:thanks for starting this up 55.

yes on spiller (side note - mehta couldn't resist taking a shot at marrone in his article).  he is injury prone which worries me a little, but would make a great tandem with ivory (and trio with powell if we re-sign him)

i like maclin, but don't think we will go after him.  might as well keep harvin on his existing deal (or hopefully restructure for a more cap friendly long-term deal)

definitely pass on welker.  he is done and one shot away from retirement

we must keep snacks.  jarrett i like and would like to keep him as well.  but snacks is a top priority.

Higher priority:

Locking up Wilkerson or Harrison?

We can tender Harrison, and get his deal done later (this year) for me...but I feel getting the Wilkerson deal done sends a statement to the team. I kind of feel locking up our JJ Watt is a big deal and something Richardson needs to see to feel comfortable with his long term potential as a Jet.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:03

Ndamukong Suh - DL - Lions
    Impending free agent Ndamukong Suh is expected to get upwards of $50 million guaranteed on his next contract.
    Suh's said to be looking for a Mario Williams or J.J. Watt-type contract. Watt just inked a six-year, $100 million extension with the Texans back in September that included $51.8 million guaranteed. ESPN's Field Yates mentions the Raiders, Browns, Bengals, Bears, and Lions as potential landing spots for Suh.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:04

hobson54 wrote:thanks for starting this up 55.

yes on spiller (side note - mehta couldn't resist taking a shot at marrone in his article).  he is injury prone which worries me a little, but would make a great tandem with ivory (and trio with powell if we re-sign him)

i like maclin, but don't think we will go after him.  might as well keep harvin on his existing deal (or hopefully restructure for a more cap friendly long-term deal)

definitely pass on welker.  he is done and one shot away from retirement

we must keep snacks.  jarrett i like and would like to keep him as well.  but snacks is a top priority.

No problem, BTW, but I was starting to see more and more reports so I thought one place to store them would be better than separate threads as big stories leaked.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:04

if i had to pick one, it's big mo. i agree on that.

but there's no reason it needs to be one or the other. mo is under contract this coming year and worst case, can be tagged next year (2016). snacks is an RFA so he needs to be locked up (or at least tendered) first.

hopefully the new front office will take care of both and keep them (and richardson) for the long-term.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:06

hobson54 wrote:if i had to pick one, it's big mo.  i agree on that.

but there's no reason it needs to be one or the other.  mo is under contract this coming year and worst case, can be tagged next year (2016).  snacks is an RFA so he needs to be locked up (or at least tendered) first.

hopefully the new front office will take care of both and keep them (and richardson) for the long-term.

I want both locked up (or all 3 to your point), I just feel if I was GM, I would tender Harrison first (to a first rd pick), and work on the long term deal for Mo as my first item on the agenda. I think him being under paid and w/o a long term deal is a bad reflection on the organization (like we dont take care of ours).
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:09

Spiller and Harvin would give the Jets breakaway speed. Speed kills.

But as noted above, Harvin needs to restructure that salary next season.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:12

Blindsidebrick wrote:Spiller and Harvin would give the Jets breakaway speed. Speed kills.

You would guarantee his deal when we already have $50 mill in cap space..which if we ever needed to cut him would lead to dead money? You would do that to give us $54 mill in cap space? Risk would seem to out weigh the reward...
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:32

I'm inclined to let Harvin go and keep the draft pick for the new GM. Never a big fan of his....seems like a square peg to round hole type player in terms of where/when to play him.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:39

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:Spiller and Harvin would give the Jets breakaway speed. Speed kills.

You would guarantee his deal when we already have $50 mill in cap space..which if we ever needed to cut him would lead to dead money?  You would do that to give us $54 mill in cap space?  Risk would seem to out weigh the reward...  

Percy Harvins Contract is cap friendly in the sense that if we give him the $10 Mill we have plenty of cap space to absorb it and still sign our own guys to extensions and get some quality free agents.. So the risk is minimal because the following year we can cut him at no cost if he isn't performing or resign him to a market value contract.

With that said I don't think I would want to give him $10 millions. $6-7 Million is more like it.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:40

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/16/c-j-spiller-likes-the-sound-of-chan-gailey-and-the-jets/

Sounds like Spiller wants to come here and that is definitely an upgrade over Chris JOhnson..... I would do this in a heartbeat...
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:46

I loved Spiller @ Clemson. I think Johnson is faster than Spiller.

Don't be shocked if Percy Harvin does not restructure his current deal.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:49

SackExchange wrote:I have to admit, dumping Chris Johnson and picking up CJ Spiller is incredibly enticing. Also, despite one monster game, I would not be upset if Jarrett walked, as long as there was someone brought in for FS so Pryor can play SS.

I know we need another CB; however, I think Antonio Cromartie would make an incredible FS to go along Pryor @ SS.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:50

To me, Mo is a bigger priority than Snacks, though I would want to keep both. It's a tough spot. Most likely, Snacks gets taken care of first with a tender, and Mo later gets an extension, maybe late in camp. Richardson will get his, but he still has a couple years left on his rookie deal. I want to lock him up, but not until there's one year left on the deal.

And I'd rather keep Harvin than let him walk and pursue Maclin, though it's close.

The good news is, with a ton of cap room and not that many guys coming off deals, the money is there for the Jets. Snacks will certainly get a raise, but since he was already under contract, it won't be that huge a divot from cap space.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:51

cysporsche wrote:

I know we need another CB; however, I think Antonio Cromartie would make an incredible FS to go along Pryor @ SS.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    I prefer safeties who can actually tackle, even free safeties.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 16 Jan 2015 - 10:53

cysporsche wrote:

I loved Spiller @ Clemson. I think Johnson is faster than Spiller.

Don't be shocked if Percy Harvin does not restructure his current deal.

Go Jets...Cyborg

He wont. You dont take less money to play for sucky teams, you take less money to play with good teams.

if he's going to play for $6-7 mill per year, it will be for the Colts, not the Jets.

if we get him for $6-7, is will also be guaranteed money...why would you want to do that? $10 mill non-guaranteed is better than $6-7 mill guaranteed, especially for a player with issues...that's how you get in bad salary cap situations.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 6:22