Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+25
NCgreen12
AFA2017
hobson54
GratefulJet
Superman55
HYATT™
danfran
JohnnyBaseball
McJet
soj
football51
LIJETFAN
WilliesDad
DonMaynard
cysporsche
Metjetgal
Old#15
Sarge
jetkwondo
skop
NickSINYC
Seaver
NYJETSDAN16
The Wicker Man
SackExchange
29 posters

Idzik's state of the team

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Idzik's state of the team - Page 14 Empty Re: Idzik's state of the team

Post by football51 Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 13:52

I just thought this was funny. it's not directly about Idzik(although it appears as if Manish is blaming Idzik for not keeping Sanchez, and some fans agree).

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 22h 22 hours ago
    Cycle of the dumb #Jets fan: Boos Fireman Ed out of Stadium for wearing Sanchez jersey. Laments GM for letting Sanchez leave 2 years later.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 22h 22 hours ago
    Billboard crew: Drunk guy sitting behind you cursing in front of his 5 year old demanding McElroy over Sanchez, now begging for Sanchez back

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 16h 16 hours ago
    So Buffalo hasn't been to the playoffs in 14 years...where are the billboards? The planes? The planes with billboards? The billboards...

skop
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by skop Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 14:04

[quote="football51"]I just thought this was funny. it's not directly about Idzik(although it appears as if Manish is blaming Idzik for not keeping Sanchez, and some fans agree).

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  22h 22 hours ago
    Cycle of the dumb #Jets fan: Boos Fireman Ed out of Stadium for wearing Sanchez jersey. Laments GM for letting Sanchez leave 2 years later.

Billboard crew: Drunk guy sitting behind you cursing in front of his 5 year old demanding McElroy over Sanchez, now begging for Sanchez back

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  16h 16 hours ago
    So Buffalo hasn't been to the playoffs in 14 years...where are the billboards? The planes? The planes with billboards? The billboards...

It goes right to Sack has been saying for years...pile on, pile on, pile on. Where were these clowns 2 years ago? Because they certainly weren't doing anything but regurgitating the butt-fumble. What a bunch of hypocrites! No
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 14:28

that is funny stuff.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 14:44

Seaver wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    Seaver wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:So there are wholesale changes after this year. Rex is gone, Idzik is gone, the entire front office is replaced.

Next season, the first half of the year has a tough schedule. Jets get off to a slow start. How long before Jets fans are calling for yet more firings?

to be fair....a new regime gets some rope.  Even Idzik got a year.....on top of that this will be a team coming off a losing record as opposed to 8-8.  A new HC brings different expectations.  Many fans saw similarities coming into 2014 with 2009.........inexperienced QB and good defense.  Some pundits predicted playoffs.  Injuries and ineffectiveness torpedoed that idea.

bottom line is there shouldn't be a call to fire the GM for at least 2+ years because of doing a complete reset at HC and GM.
    A year? Jets fans are patient because they waited until the GM (who, by the way, did not even get to choose his HC) was into his second season before calling for him to be fired?

It takes 2-3 years, at least. for a GM to fully implement his plan. But this is Jetsland, where the guy who gets to choose his own HC gets 2 years, and the guy who doesn't get to choose his own HC gets one.

And for the record, Idzik took over a team coming off a 6-10 year.

tell me then what has Idzik done to date that will magically materialize in 2015?  What draft day steal from the past 2 drafts is going to make the 'plan' evident to all?  The plan should be showing some sign of life by now...........so far it's been oogots.  QB looks like a complete reset is in order.  OL is deteriorating......secondary in shambles.........but the plan will save us next year.
    I don't know what he has done that will materialize in 2015. That's the whole point of a long-term plan. It takes TIME to develop!

It seems the Jets are fine with being patient for a long-term plan to develop...as long as the Jets WIN NOW!
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 14:46

football51 wrote:I just thought this was funny. it's not directly about Idzik(although it appears as if Manish is blaming Idzik for not keeping Sanchez, and some fans agree).

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  16h 16 hours ago

I love the team, but we have one of the dumbest fan bases in the NFL, if not the absolute dumbest.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 15:03

SackExchange wrote:
    Seaver wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    Seaver wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:So there are wholesale changes after this year. Rex is gone, Idzik is gone, the entire front office is replaced.

Next season, the first half of the year has a tough schedule. Jets get off to a slow start. How long before Jets fans are calling for yet more firings?

to be fair....a new regime gets some rope.  Even Idzik got a year.....on top of that this will be a team coming off a losing record as opposed to 8-8.  A new HC brings different expectations.  Many fans saw similarities coming into 2014 with 2009.........inexperienced QB and good defense.  Some pundits predicted playoffs.  Injuries and ineffectiveness torpedoed that idea.

bottom line is there shouldn't be a call to fire the GM for at least 2+ years because of doing a complete reset at HC and GM.
    A year? Jets fans are patient because they waited until the GM (who, by the way, did not even get to choose his HC) was into his second season before calling for him to be fired?

It takes 2-3 years, at least. for a GM to fully implement his plan. But this is Jetsland, where the guy who gets to choose his own HC gets 2 years, and the guy who doesn't get to choose his own HC gets one.

And for the record, Idzik took over a team coming off a 6-10 year.

tell me then what has Idzik done to date that will magically materialize in 2015?  What draft day steal from the past 2 drafts is going to make the 'plan' evident to all?  The plan should be showing some sign of life by now...........so far it's been oogots.  QB looks like a complete reset is in order.  OL is deteriorating......secondary in shambles.........but the plan will save us next year.
    I don't know what he has done that will materialize in 2015. That's the whole point of a long-term plan. It takes TIME to develop!

It seems the Jets are fine with being patient for a long-term plan to develop...as long as the Jets WIN NOW!

it's not about the wins if the signs are there for growth. You keep saying the plan takes time....that's fine but at some point you have to recognize that the plan is coming to fruition or not. It is a process and as such a breadcrumb trail should materialize. There won't be a magic button pushed that produces pro bowlers. There would have to be players on the roster he drafted showing signs of contributing like we have witnessed over the past decades. You know talent Sack. You've seen it enough times. You know the smell of it. What draft depth has he brought in? That's the crux of his plan........build through the draft. The roster however is painfully thin. That cannot be brushed aside in favor of blind faith to a plan that isn't working to date.

Believe me.........I like the concept he brings. I want longterm stability and was ok with no playoffs in 2014....as long as there were signs we were going in the right direction. He take a big hit with Geno - not so much in rolling the dice to draft him, but the lack of a keen eye for talent to recognize Geno is not the guy, or even close for that matter. He has missed the mark so badly at QB......and in WR....and so far with OL. I just have serious reservations about Idzik's ability to make the plan work. If he doesn't have the eye for talent, he can't manufacture it either. That's where I stand. He simply isn't the right guy and won't be. That said, I see no reason to further conduct the experiment.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 15:26

Amaro, one would have to think, would be a part of it. Richardson isn't too terrible.

He's swung and missed on some, certainly. Geno. Winters. Saunders.

The jury is still out on Milliner, Pryor, McDougle, Evans.

Hopefully, the next GM won't have draft picks who tear up knees, because the fans will be calling for them to be fired, too. What am I saying? It's Jets fans. The fans will be calling for them to be fired if they don't wear the right tie to the press conference.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 17:08

As a franchise, Sack is the arrow currently pointed up or down on the Jets direction with 6 games to go? Do you think we finish strong with 3 or more wins and momentum for next season or do you think we'd be lucky to record 1-2 more wins and head into the offseason with more questions than answers?

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 17:57

Kevin / 55 Excuse me for hijacking your question to Sack, I'd have to say the arrow is pointed up and we will end up 5-11, simply because the addition of Percy Harvin (thank-you Mr. Idzik) & the discovery of Michael Vick. These 2 players have added so much speed to our offense, that the defense is leaving huge holes for Amaro, Decker and the rest.

And I'd be willing to go on the limb and say the arrow is up next year after Idzik kills (good) the draft & free agency. Then with Milliner & McDougle healthy @ CB and Cunningham OLB, Bohannon FB and others, I feel good with an offensive minded H.C. that is respected by his players that we will take the next step. Study our roster, we are stronger than a 2-8 team.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 19:13

Superman55 wrote:As a franchise, Sack is the arrow currently pointed up or down on the Jets direction with 6 games to go?  Do you think we finish strong with 3 or more wins and momentum for next season or do you think we'd be lucky to record 1-2 more wins and head into the offseason with more questions than answers?

Pointed down. No doubt. But it can be pointed up. 3-3 with this remaining schedule is not out of the question.

But they also had about the cruelest schedule imaginable. They start with the Raiders, and then go against the best teams in the league week after week, the best QBs in the league. If their tough games had been spread out a little more, they might have had at least 3 or 4 wins at the bye, and some hope.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 23:53

The season usually goes as your QB goes. I don't think anyone here would've predicted Geno to fall off the cliff this season. And don't tell me about weapons. Ivory and Johnson in the backfield, Amaro at TE, and Decker and Kerley at WR, with Harvin coming in late. It's not the 85 Dolphins, but it's not exactly "nothing" either. Geno bombed and we could not recover.

And the CB situation was a debacle. You couldn't get anymore unlucky. Milliner goes down, McDougle goes down, Patterson ends up being a headcase. That, coupled with Idzik taking a bad gamble at the position in FA.

And if we're really looking for EVERY reason we're 2-8, let's not forget Rex Ryan. Camp Goodtimes is over. This team needs a new leader at HC. Get your man in here Idzik. Whoever that is.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 9:44

SackExchange wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:As a franchise, Sack is the arrow currently pointed up or down on the Jets direction with 6 games to go?  Do you think we finish strong with 3 or more wins and momentum for next season or do you think we'd be lucky to record 1-2 more wins and head into the offseason with more questions than answers?

Pointed down. No doubt. But it can be pointed up. 3-3 with this remaining schedule is not out of the question.

But they also had about the cruelest schedule imaginable. They start with the Raiders, and then go against the best teams in the league week after week, the best QBs in the league. If their tough games had been spread out a little more, they might have had at least 3 or 4 wins at the bye, and some hope.

So he took over a 6-10 team and has had 20 draft picks and over $50 mill in cap space to spend and to Cy point if we have a miraculous finish, we'll turn those investments into a 5-11 outcome.

No excuses, if we graded every GM in the NFL, Idzik, at best, would get a D...at best.

I'm not arguing The future, is it possible for our D student to eventually score an A? Sure. But not many GMs in the NFL with 20 picks and $50 mill to spend would have a worse team when they were finished building with those resources. Period. Some people would give him an F when you consider how much he had to build upon.

That is the state of our team. You and other can argue all day this D student may be better one day, but that called hope. Truth is, we have a D student leading our organization until he proves otherwise.

I've read the optimists point of view, but the rationale for optimism seems far less fact based than the arguments with pessimism. People can argue about how much more time he needs, but bad news doesn't get better with time. He needs to hit more than a single with our 7 picks this year for a change.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 10:18

from Rich Cimini's espnnewyork.com chat today. Can't bash the roster like he does with an answer like this.

Sammy Eplan @sammyeplan
    Follow
    @RichCimini if vick was the starter since week one what would our record be? #jetsmail
    9:57 AM - 14 Nov 2014 Morgantown, WV, United States

@RichCimini: I have a feeling Rex Ryan will be tormented by this question for a long, long time. Personally, I think they'd be a .500 team if Michael Vick had been starting from Day 1. Geno Smith's turnovers loomed large in the Week 2-5 losses to the Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions, and again in Week 8 with the loss to the Buffalo Bills. I'm not saying Vick would've been mistake-free in those games, but he might have been able to provide the play or two that would've made a difference. I think they'd be 5-5, at best, with Vick -- good enough to be on the periphery of playoff contention.

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 11:15

It's getting really old to keep slamming Idzik over the Dimitri Patterson CB signing in free agency. I talked to a buddy of mine in Miami who is a huge fan of the Flipper's, and @ the time, they hated to lose Patterson in free agency.

He played great for the Flippers and they wanted to bring him back to start opposite Grimes CB.

I wanted to re-sign Cromartie but his salary demands were high, and because of his hip injury, he did not play well last year, so Idzik took a gamble ? Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 11:21

football51 wrote:from Rich Cimini's espnnewyork.com chat today. Can't bash the roster like he does with an answer like this.

Sammy Eplan @sammyeplan
    Follow
    @RichCimini  if vick was the starter since week one what would our record be? #jetsmail

@RichCimini: I have a feeling Rex Ryan will be tormented by this question for a long, long time. Personally, I think they'd be a .500 team if Michael Vick had been starting from Day 1. Geno Smith's turnovers loomed large in the Week 2-5 losses to the Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions, and again in Week 8 with the loss to the Buffalo Bills. I'm not saying Vick would've been mistake-free in those games, but he might have been able to provide the play or two that would've made a difference. I think they'd be 5-5, at best, with Vick -- good enough to be on the periphery of playoff contention.

Lame. The other QB, on the roster, was selected and pushed to play by the GM. We are a 2-8 team, not 5-5. Lets not pick and choose when to agree to Dick Cimini.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 11:33

Superman55 wrote:
    football51 wrote:from Rich Cimini's espnnewyork.com chat today. Can't bash the roster like he does with an answer like this.

Sammy Eplan @sammyeplan
    Follow
    @RichCimini  if vick was the starter since week one what would our record be? #jetsmail

Lame.  The other QB, on the roster, was selected and pushed to play by the GM.  We are a 2-8 team, not 5-5.  Lets not pick and choose when to agree to Dick Cimini.

Actually, all I said was that his shots at the roster don't coincide with his answer to this fan.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 12:46

Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

So he took over a 6-10 team and has had 20 draft picks and over $50 mill in cap space to spend and to Cy point if we have a miraculous finish, we'll turn those investments into a 5-11 outcome.

No excuses, if we graded every GM in the NFL, Idzik, at best, would get a D...at best.

I'm not arguing The future, is it possible for our D student to eventually score an A?  Sure.  But not many GMs in the NFL with 20 picks and $50 mill to spend would have a worse team when they were finished building with those resources.  Period.  Some people would give him an F when you consider how much he had to build upon.

That is the state of our team.  You and other can argue all day this D student may be better one day, but that called hope.  Truth is, we have a D student leading our organization until he proves otherwise.

I've read the optimists point of view, but the rationale for optimism seems far less fact based than the arguments with pessimism.  People can argue about how much more time he needs, but bad news doesn't get better with time.  He needs to hit more than a single with our 7  picks this year for a change.
    Well, if it was all about this year, he should have spent to the cap on veterans, traded draft picks and young guys, and appeased the fan base by being a 10-win team now.

There is no long-term with this team. You're not allowed to think long-term, or you will get destroyed before you ever get there. Essentially, any GM who comes in has to win NOW, regardless of what it might cost long-term.

I can't wait for the next guy to come in and act more like Tannenbaum, spending to the cap on veterans, trading picks, and having us tight against the cap all the time. That seems to be what Jets fans want.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 13:42

SackExchange wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

I'm not arguing The future, is it possible for our D student to eventually score an A?  Sure.  But not many GMs in the NFL with 20 picks and $50 mill to spend would have a worse team when they were finished building with those resources.  Period.  Some people would give him an F when you consider how much he had to build upon.

That is the state of our team.  You and other can argue all day this D student may be better one day, but that called hope.  Truth is, we have a D student leading our organization until he proves otherwise.

I've read the optimists point of view, but the rationale for optimism seems far less fact based than the arguments with pessimism.  People can argue about how much more time he needs, but bad news doesn't get better with time.  He needs to hit more than a single with our 7  picks this year for a change.
    Well, if it was all about this year, he should have spent to the cap on veterans, traded draft picks and young guys, and appeased the fan base by being a 10-win team now.

There is no long-term with this team. You're not allowed to think long-term, or you will get destroyed before you ever get there. Essentially, any GM who comes in has to win NOW, regardless of what it might cost long-term.

I can't wait for the next guy to come in and act more like Tannenbaum, spending to the cap on veterans, trading picks, and having us tight against the cap all the time. That seems to be what Jets fans want.

This is a useless argument.

Idzik's long term plan included cutting most of our mid rd picks by week 8 and trading additional picks for high priced free agents?

Is that better than what you describe above? Because that's what he did.

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 13:54

Interesting read, but I can't see Rex coming back.

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/11/bye-week-thoughts-jets-go/

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 14:43

Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

Idzik's long term plan included cutting most of our mid rd picks by week 8 and trading additional picks for high priced free agents?

Is that better than what you describe above?  Because that's what he did.

I am sure his plan was not to miss on as many draft picks as he did. But no front office does plan on missing on draft picks.

Fortunately, the Jets aren't the only team that misses on draft picks. Do you think it's Belichick's plan to miss on as many picks as he does?

As for trading additional picks for "high priced free agents," which deal or deals are you describing?
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 15:01

SackExchange wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

Is that better than what you describe above?  Because that's what he did.

I am sure his plan was not to miss on as many draft picks as he did. But no front office does plan on missing on draft picks.

Fortunately, the Jets aren't the only team that misses on draft picks. Do you think it's Belichick's plan to miss on as many picks as he does?

As for trading additional picks for "high priced free agents," which deal or deals are you describing?

I think it's the "blockbuster 4th" that we'll end up giving to Seattle for Harvin. The same pick Idzik gave up year one for Ivory. Not sure where the (s) in picks came from.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 15:03

Just one thing I would like to put out there. I get tired of hearing 12 picks and so many misses. Almost half of those picks were 6th and 7th round picks. Who honestly believe those type of player make an impact in a half of a season. Those are the type of players that take a few years and even if we hit on a couple that is a good job. 

We have 2 on the active roster and one on the practice squad. One was cut but has been active for another team. Then there is the one wasted Rex pick. I cant wait till he is gone and can't do that anymore. If he is around much longer we will be wasting a pick on his son.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 15:05

The Harvin deal was an absolute steal. I'm sorry. I'm not sure how 55 can blast that move, after I believe he was for it when it happened. That is like him getting on Idzik for drafting Geno, when he was the biggest Geno supporter going into the 2013 draft.

There seems to be a lot of piling on. Idzik is getting bashed for his good moves, it would seem.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 15:06

NickSINYC wrote:Just one thing I would like to put out there. I get tired of hearing 12 picks and so many misses. Almost half of those picks were 6th and 7th round picks. Who honestly believe those type of player make an impact in a half of a season. Those are the type of players that take a few years and even if we hit on a couple that is a good job. 

We have 2 on the active roster and one on the practice squad. One was cut but has been active for another team. Then there is the one wasted Rex pick. I cant wait till he is gone and can't do that anymore. If he is around much longer we will be wasting a pick on his son.
    True, but from a philosophical stance, I hate going quantity over quality. The one area I truly preferred Tanny was in his willingness to package deals to move up the draft board.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 15 Nov 2014 - 15:13

SackExchange wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:Just one thing I would like to put out there. I get tired of hearing 12 picks and so many misses. Almost half of those picks were 6th and 7th round picks. Who honestly believe those type of player make an impact in a half of a season. Those are the type of players that take a few years and even if we hit on a couple that is a good job. 

True, but from a philosophical stance, I hate going quantity over quality. The one area I truly preferred Tanny was in his willingness to package deals to move up the draft board.
    Too be honest Tannys pattern of trading up all the time was one of the reasons I wanted him gone. I think that kills team depth.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 2 May 2024 - 14:52