Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+25
NCgreen12
AFA2017
hobson54
GratefulJet
Superman55
HYATT™
danfran
JohnnyBaseball
McJet
soj
football51
LIJETFAN
WilliesDad
DonMaynard
cysporsche
Metjetgal
Old#15
Sarge
jetkwondo
skop
NickSINYC
Seaver
NYJETSDAN16
The Wicker Man
SackExchange
29 posters

Idzik's state of the team

NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Idzik's state of the team - Page 22 Empty Re: Idzik's state of the team

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 14:56

SackExchange wrote:What says a lot about the situation is that after 1 1/2 years, Idzik is publicly taken to task constantly by the fan base, and yet I have not seen one single "Fire Rex" billboard, sign, or plane banner. Not even a web site.

The team lacks talent, but is drastically underachieving this season. They are undisciplined and poorly prepared, and make dreadful gameday mistakes. What has made Rex so teflon and Idzik such a lightning rod for abuse?

Could not agree more. Though i think the fan base knows Rex is done after week 17. Many, such as myself loved Rex, but he has much blame towards this season as Idzik. It's time to turn the page on the Rex Ryan chapter and i feel every fan already knows this.

I feel fans are voicing their expressions because many of them realize there is a tremendous possibility of Idzik staying for year 3. They may also feel extremely worried if the Jets have a top 3 draft choice where it seems as if in his previous two years he''s whiffed on drafting quality players. It just makes the Sheldon Richardson pick seem as if he just got extremely lucky.

I'm not choosing sides on this one just for the mere fact that i'am as stunned as anyone on what occured on the pitch this season.
    All i'am gonna say is, what has to be done to improve this franchise MUST be done.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 16:17

Fire Glat too? Geez, Woody hired him right out of the league offices, and to my knowledge, doesn't have any say in football operations.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/46882/fan-group-to-distribute-fire-idzik-towels-at-next-home-game
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 16:29

I agree with Dan, I think the fan base has accepted Rex will be fired. If he's not, the signs will come.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 17:27

Rex on TV looks twice as old this year, it's been real tough on him. Truth be known, if the Flippers had won their game last year @ the end of the season, we would have ended up 7-9, and he would have been fired on Black Monday. Idzik & Woody had no other choice in the locker room, but to announce Rex would be back. It's a business.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 17:50

hobson54 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:What says a lot about the situation is that after 1 1/2 years, Idzik is publicly taken to task constantly by the fan base, and yet I have not seen one single "Fire Rex" billboard, sign, or plane banner. Not even a web site.

The team lacks talent, but is drastically underachieving this season. They are undisciplined and poorly prepared, and make dreadful gameday mistakes. What has made Rex so teflon and Idzik such a lightning rod for abuse?

well a few things:

1 - rex has built a reservoir of good will with many jets fans for taking the team to 2 afc title games.  granted those were years ago, but still people like rex.

2 - rex was a fun personality.  many people (not all of course) liked his banter, liked that he didn't take crap from anyone, liked that he didn't "come here to kiss belichick's rings"

3 - probably most importantly, everyone and their mother knows rex is a dead man walking.  no need to start a firerex website or hand out towels.  the deed will be done on black monday, if not sooner

+1...spot on
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 22:00

I hate that a guy gets a longer leash on incompetence because he's "likeable." Rex gets four years without a winning season or the playoffs because he's a good guy. Idzik comes across more cerebral, less like the guy you want to have a beer with, and the fans put all the blame on him.

I can only hope that when both are replaced, good guys that make us want to hang out with them are hired, rather than people who come across as smart and can do their jobs.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 23:43

SackExchange wrote:I hate that a guy gets a longer leash on incompetence because he's "likeable." Rex gets four years without a winning season or the playoffs because he's a good guy. Idzik comes across more cerebral, less like the guy you want to have a beer with, and the fans put all the blame on him.

I can only hope that when both are replaced, good guys that make us want to hang out with them are hired, rather than people who come across as smart and can do their jobs.

Sack, Don't worry, Idzik will be back next year as our GM to finish his plan.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 9:47

I don't see it, cy. Initially, I thought he would be, but the public outcry has been far worse than I expected.

I also don't expect his replacement to get any chance to actually implement a long-term plan for success. It will all be about winning some games now, even if it comes at the cost of long-term sustained success. Jets fans would never allow for a foundation to be built.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 10:17

Sack I agree with you that Rex got to say longer because he is so popular, and because of his early success. He had proved that with the right team, he would win and win the playoffs. But when you step back and look at his entire body of work over the past 6 years, the results are very mixed. And it is time to move on.

As far as Idzik is concerned, I agree with you that he appears to be intelligent and cerebral. But that doesn't mean he is good at his job. He can do the job from an intellectual standpoint. But that doesn't make him good at it. I come back to my point much earlier about theory and practice. Idzik may know all the theory, but when it comes to execution, he falters. Intelligence is one thing, football smarts is another.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 11:10

I honestly don't see Woody firing Idzik so soon. I see Idzik cleaning house with Rex on Black Monday, then cleaning house in our draft room the day after the draft, which I don't agree with. Rex, Bradway, all the coaches & scouts need to all go together.Buy a Mel Kiper draft guide before letting Bradway make anymore picks.
    Idzik might be Woody's "fall guy", but not until later. I think Idzik will get a chance to hire a HC & staff before Woody would fire him.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 11:43

SackExchange wrote:I don't see it, cy. Initially, I thought he would be, but the public outcry has been far worse than I expected.

I also don't expect his replacement to get any chance to actually implement a long-term plan for success. It will all be about winning some games now, even if it comes at the cost of long-term sustained success. Jets fans would never allow for a foundation to be built.

According to the "Fire John Idzik" website people, they are big PSL spenders. Supposedly, the backers of that site have coaches' club seats and are threatening to default on their payments if Idzik is retained. This is going to put more pressure on Woody to dump him. I just hope that Woody realizes that these crazies will pull the same stunt if they don't like the new guy too. Hopefully, we don't fall into the instant gratification trap and spend on aging vets just to win 9-10 games, get bounced in the WC round of the playoffs, and have to blow things up again in a couple of years. Keep Idzik, fire Idzik, whatever, just make sure the team is built properly so that we can enjoy sustained success and stop the annoying up and down years.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 13:39

It's a bad situation when an owner, like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder, are too heavy-handed in the football operations. It's no better when fans are.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 14:01

SackExchange wrote:It's a bad situation when an owner, like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder, are too heavy-handed in the football operations. It's no better when fans are.

I don't know, the fans would have drafted Dennard or Cooks rd 1 and no way in hell they would have taken McDougle rd 3. Pretty sure our fans couldn't do much worse than our current GM. Wink
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 14:38

Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:It's a bad situation when an owner, like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder, are too heavy-handed in the football operations. It's no better when fans are.

I don't know, the fans would have drafted Dennard or Cooks rd 1 and no way in hell they would have taken McDougle rd 3.  Pretty sure our fans couldn't do much worse than our current GM. Wink
    Fair point. But the fans can act without responsibility. They can root for a bad pick, and if it doesn't work out, so be it. You loved Geno coming out, for example. I loved the Stephen Hill pick. Both busts. No harm, though, in our situation, since nobody is judging us.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 8:37

Finally a Jets post mortem without one mention of it being Idzik's fault:

http://nypost.com/2014/12/07/the-one-depressing-factor-that-sets-dysfunctional-jets-apart/
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 10:28

Dan Leberfeld @jetswhispers
    Adam Schefter just reported John Idzik has alienated some in the organization. Perhaps he also has alienated Adam Schefter.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 10:30

Superman55 wrote:Dan Leberfeld @jetswhispers
    Adam Schefter just reported John Idzik has alienated some in the organization. Perhaps he also has alienated Adam Schefter.

Hopefully Bradway and Rex. Smile
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 10:31

Old#15 wrote:

Hopefully Bradway and Rex.  Smile

Twisted Evil
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 11:35

Idzik was not brought here to win a popularity contest, he was brought here to turn the program around in the right direction.

Idzik is a no nonsense type of guy, that does not disclose any information to the press, which pisses the NY press off, so they seek revenge.

I no longer read the NY tabloids, because I think they fabricate too much BS for me to believe.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 16:38

So................... Bradway and his crew and Rex and his staff are going to the media now because they feel as though they're in trouble Rolling Eyes . If Idzik gets fired, Woody better fire everyone. All scouts/personnel people gone after the draft.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11992642/new-york-jets-gm-john-idzik-alienates-staff-coaches
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 20:02

football51 wrote:So................... Bradway and his crew and Rex and his staff are going to the media now because they feel as though they're in trouble Rolling Eyes . If Idzik gets fired, Woody better fire everyone. All scouts/personnel people gone after the draft.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/11992642/new-york-jets-gm-john-idzik-alienates-staff-coaches

11:21
    AM ET
    By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
    10COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
    With just one win (Week 10 versus the Pittsburgh Steelers) since beating the Oakland Raiders in their season opener, the New York Jets 2014 campaign has been an abject failure.

All signs continue to point to coach Rex Ryan wrapping up his tenure with the team at season's end, but what about general manager John Idzik? Will he also be shown the door?

"While speculation persists about Rex Ryan's future in New York, the man on the warmest seat in the Jets organization just might be general manager John Idzik," ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter said Sunday morning on Sunday NFL Countdown.

"According to multiple sources within the organization, Idzik has alienated not just Jet fans but those in the organization around him in the front office and on the coaching staff. Those in the organization said Idzik hasn't played the game of politics well -- neither internally nor externally -- and it has cost him support in various areas.

"Jets management is aware of the unhappiness being expressed about Idzik and that is expected to be of consideration when Jets owner Woody Johnson decides just how major the changes to the organization he makes will be."

Unless the Jets somehow manage to finish the season on an exceptionally strong note, we should see Johnson make changes from top to bottom -- once again.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 21:54

Superman55 wrote:
    football51 wrote:So................... Bradway and his crew and Rex and his staff are going to the media now because they feel as though they're in trouble Rolling Eyes . If Idzik gets fired, Woody better fire everyone. All scouts/personnel people gone after the draft.

11:21
    AM ET
    By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
    10COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
    With just one win (Week 10 versus the Pittsburgh Steelers) since beating the Oakland Raiders in their season opener, the New York Jets 2014 campaign has been an abject failure.

All signs continue to point to coach Rex Ryan wrapping up his tenure with the team at season's end, but what about general manager John Idzik? Will he also be shown the door?

"While speculation persists about Rex Ryan's future in New York, the man on the warmest seat in the Jets organization just might be general manager John Idzik," ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter said Sunday morning on Sunday NFL Countdown.

"According to multiple sources within the organization, Idzik has alienated not just Jet fans but those in the organization around him in the front office and on the coaching staff. Those in the organization said Idzik hasn't played the game of politics well -- neither internally nor externally -- and it has cost him support in various areas.

"Jets management is aware of the unhappiness being expressed about Idzik and that is expected to be of consideration when Jets owner Woody Johnson decides just how major the changes to the organization he makes will be."

Unless the Jets somehow manage to finish the season on an exceptionally strong note, we should see Johnson make changes from top to bottom -- once again.

Yeah, I saw the Schefter piece this morning, and all I could think at the time was "I thought Schefter was better than this kind of 'according to multiple sources within the organization' yellow journalism", and then at the bottom of the article I saw it:

ESPN.com Jets reporter Rich Cimini contributed to this report.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 11:40

I'd love to see the list of merits and accomplishments that should allow for Idzik to avoid a pink slip. Beyond that, Rex has earned his pink slip........everyone needs to go.

apples and oranges trying to compare Rex and Idzik........you can't even do it on common ground. Rex won right away, but to be fair he did it with somebody else's players.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 11:48

aren't these the same whispers we heard around time of free agency? People within the Jets organization complained about his approach to the free agency period. Like many jobs, until you build credibility there is a bit of politics one must sometimes play. Idzik has not bought any favors except from Woody because he had the best get rid of Revis plan.
    jetfandreamer
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by jetfandreamer Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 19:26

AGREE !!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 2 May 2024 - 22:49