Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+16
Sarge
NickSINYC
NCgreen12
jamesfyo123
Blindsidebrick
SackExchange
Seaver
hobson54
Superman55
McJet
soj
GratefulJet
NYJETSDAN16
LIJETFAN
cysporsche
football51
20 posters

List of GM candidates

SackExchange
    SackExchange

List of GM candidates - Page 8 Empty Re: List of GM candidates

Post by SackExchange Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 15:08

Saints' Ryan Pace, who declined an interview with the Jets, just got named new Bears GM.

Add Chicago to the teams you want to beat out of spite.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 15:10

Here's the kicker...word on the street was that KC's Ballard turned down a Jets interview because he had the inside track on the Chicago job.

Hmmmm...
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 15:13

that's interesting. i too thought ballard was pretty much a shoe-in for the chicago job and that pace just got a promotion from the saints.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 15:20

Wish we got a shot at Ballard, his resume was the one I was most impressed with. He had coaching and coordinator experience to help him match talent to scheme.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 15:23

wonder if ballard would reconsider now that he didn't get the chicago job. then again, not sure if we would ask again
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 16:13

Sirius reporting Pace's GM pitch to Bears had Bowles as the top of his HC list.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 16:35

Superman55 wrote:Wish we got a shot at Ballard, his resume was the one I was most impressed with.  He had coaching and coordinator experience to help him match talent to scheme.  

Most of the Pro Bowl stars in KC came from Pioli. Ballard arrived in 2013. He spent the previous 12 years in Chicago. How does their young talent pool look now? Their are some candidates who will shy away from this marketplace with the crazy media coverage and that's fine with me. I don't want someone here who's intimidated. As for Pace, he originally refused all interviews. IMO, the bears let him know that he's the one they wanted which is why he interviewed. For the jets, I thought Mac was the guy from the start. Still think Marrone ends up as coach too. However, Woody/Wolf/Casserly had all gm candidates list three HC'S that they'd like to work with. Maybe Quinn was on Mac's list too.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 16:42

Brian Costello
    ‏@BrianCoz
    Maccagnan was described to me as very thorough with a solid plan on how to build a team and would be able to work well with HC, etc. #nyj

http://nypost.com/2015/01/08/casserly-protege-emerging-as-jets-gm-favorite/

Brian Costello
    ‏@BrianCoz
    Hard to evaluate drafts just looking at picks. Who picked the guys? The GM? The coach? The scouting director? Good or bad, tough to say.

Brian Costello
    ‏@BrianCoz
    The day it came out Casserly was consulting with Jets, someone told me to keep an eye on Maccagnan. Looks like that was a good call. #nyj
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 16:54

shortly after the jets hire a GM with a scouting background, we will get articles from some writers saying he doesn't know how to manage a cap...
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 16:56

Of the GM candidates interviewed Maccagnan has been my favorite. I would be very pleased if we end up with either Marrone or Quinn paired with him. It sounds like we are headed in that direction but we may be in for a long wait if it is Quinn. We will know soon if Maccagnan gets the job and does not hire Marrone right away that it's Quinn.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 17:05

I agree with you Nick. Also, we'll know if the other spots start to get filled. My hope is that it is either Quinn or Frank Reich. I would think that Reich will wind up with the Bills, but you never know. Marrone is my third choice and a distant third.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 17:06

NickSINYC wrote:Of the GM candidates interviewed Maccagnan has been my favorite. I would be very pleased if we end up with either Marrone or Quinn paired with him. It sounds like we are headed in that direction but we may be in for a long wait if it is Quinn. We will know soon if Maccagnan gets the job and does not hire Marrone right away that it's Quinn.

Nick, do you have any idea how old Maccagnan is? I haven't seen it listed in any of the articles that I've seen on him.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 17:17

Ron Wolf? What the hell does he know? Manish isn't on board and that's all that matters Rolling Eyes .

Brian Costello
    ‏@BrianCoz
    Heard that Ron Wolf took the lead in the Maccagnan 1st interview since Casserly knows him so well and came away very impressed. #nyj

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 17:18

football51 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:Of the GM candidates interviewed Maccagnan has been my favorite. I would be very pleased if we end up with either Marrone or Quinn paired with him. It sounds like we are headed in that direction but we may be in for a long wait if it is Quinn. We will know soon if Maccagnan gets the job and does not hire Marrone right away that it's Quinn.

Nick, do you have any idea how old Maccagnan is? I haven't seen it listed in any of the articles that I've seen on him.

Good question. I have spent some time searching for that exact thing with no luck. I have deduced with the info I have been able to put together that he is most likely in his mid 50s. I know he signed Marrone as a player in the World league and Marrone is 50.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 17:59

on the radio they said Maccagnan was late 40's.......
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 18:01

i can't say i have any personal favorite of the group of candidates. none of them really stand out to me, admittedly on limited information.

i see a number of posters seem to like maccagnan as their favorites. what do people see in him that makes him your favorite?
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 18:12

Seaver wrote:on the radio they said Maccagnan was late 40's.......

Thanks he doesn't have a Wiki page and no bios that I could find online. He must have been a young Executive for the London Monarchs when he signed Marrone in 1991
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 18:18

Seaver wrote:on the radio they said Maccagnan was late 40's.......

Thanks Seaver.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 18:31

hobson54 wrote:i can't say i have any personal favorite of the group of candidates.  none of them really stand out to me, admittedly on limited information.  

i see a number of posters seem to like maccagnan as their favorites.  what do people see in him that makes him your favorite?  

I have said many times it's a guessing game trying to hit on someone who will excel on the next level. His track record has been mixed but that is not where it ends for me. I like what I saw in an online interview Scouting director Mike Maccagnan reviews 2013 draft

There are 2 things that stand out for me that edges him to the top of my list. I like people that put in their dues as they progress through their career. He has been an executive in The CFL, the World League and then finally the NFL. I also have a lot of respect for Casserly and once Charlie found Mike he took him along with him as he moved in his own career.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 18:45

NickSINYC wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:i can't say i have any personal favorite of the group of candidates.  none of them really stand out to me, admittedly on limited information.  

i see a number of posters seem to like maccagnan as their favorites.  what do people see in him that makes him your favorite?  

I have said many times it's a guessing game trying to hit on someone who will excel on the next level. His track record has been mixed but that is not where it ends for me. I like what I saw in an online interview Scouting director Mike Maccagnan reviews 2013 draft

There are 2 things that stand out for me that edges him to the top of my list. I like people that put in their dues as they progress through their career. He has been an executive in The CFL, the World League and then finally the NFL. I also have a lot of respect for Casserly and once Charlie found Mike he took him along with him as he moved in his own career.

That sums it up for me too Nick. That and back in 2013, he declined to interview with us because he wanted a say in the HC. He just wasn't looking to accept any scenario.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 19:10

Dane Brugler
    ‏@dpbrugler
    If Mike Maccagnan gets the #Jets GM job, it's the best acquisition for that franchise in years. Great eye for talent and an awesome guy

Dane Brugler
    ‏@dpbrugler
    There are certain NFL execs you are guaranteed to see at scouting events. Ted Thompson is one and Mac is another. Always a scout at his core
    AFA2017
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by AFA2017 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 4:14

Are we really going to get a good Coach and GM or are we going to get someone who is somebody's friend. Who is Charlie Casserly? He is a very good commentator who knows football. Was he a good GM. He really was not. He is friends with Marrone. Parecell's was friends with Bradway! I don't want a friend or "I will vouch for this guy". I want a GM and Coach with a proven track record. Not someone who worked for the Patriots, but had nothing to do with developing them. Not someone from the Buc's or Raiders. What have the Bucs or Raiders done lately. "Hey lets take this guy, he is from the Bronx?. I could care less if he is from Timbuktu, I want someone who has a proven track record and as a HC Marrone may well be that guy. As a GM, I have no favorite on this list. I am just listening to what everyone else here has put in. I just don't want a GM/HC who is given a shot out of friendship. My reasoning in this is, Over the years it seems that we had better GM's on Draft day right here on this board then what the Jets had in there Draft room!!
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 8:14

AFA2017 wrote:Are we really going to get a good Coach and GM or are we going to get someone who is somebody's friend. Who is Charlie Casserly?  He is a very good commentator who knows football. Was he a good GM. He really was not. He is friends with Marrone. Parecell's was friends with Bradway! I don't want a friend or "I will vouch for this guy". I want a GM and Coach with a proven track record. Not someone who worked for the Patriots, but had nothing to do with developing them. Not someone from the Buc's or Raiders. What have the Bucs or Raiders done lately. "Hey lets take this guy, he is from the Bronx?. I could care less if he is from Timbuktu, I want someone who has a proven track record and as a HC Marrone may well be that guy. As a GM, I have no favorite on this list. I am just listening to what everyone else here has put in. I just don't want a GM/HC who is given a shot out of friendship. My reasoning in this is, Over the years it seems that we had better GM's on Draft day right here on this board then what the Jets had in there Draft room!!

Well, I understand what you're saying about the "friend" comment, but I don't agree with it. I have a senior position at a fortune 5 company, and I can tell you, you don't climb the ladder without having senior level friends that believe in you and your capabilities. You generally have to have displayed some array of skill sets to have developed those friends beyond having an impressive LinkedIn page.

As Nick pointed out, this GM candidate earned Casserly's respect and "friendship" through his work as a scout and talent evaluation in the world football league and CFL before he even had a shot at scouting NFL talent, then showed a flash of something as a college scout that grabbed Casserly's attention that led to the referenced friendship and putting him under his wing. He showed something as a scout that told Casserly, I want to make him the head of my scouting department so more scouts see things like him.

This is a common approach to all white collar positions whether we're talking NFL, Big Pharma, Banking industry, etc, etc.

However, the Jets took a very unbiased approach to his interview and didn't let Casserly take part and had Wolfe lead the interview and determine if he went to rd 2, he only got in the room due to Casserly (see below).

So, while a friend may have got his foot in the door, it was up to the candidate to kick the door down once he got his shot...and it was Ron Wlf that determined he did.

I can live with that.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/08/casserly-protege-emerging-as-jets-gm-favorite/

LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 10:47

The reality of the business world as 55 said is that networks open doors. But that does not and should not guarantee anything. if Maccagnan impressed Wolfe and Woody, he did so on his own merits, and you would hope he deserves the job. That is the way it should be. The same should be said for the head coach. We can only hope that is the case. I know Maccagnan if he is hired knows Marrone and Kubiak - my personal opinion is that neither of them should be the next HC. Quinn in my opinion is the right and by far the best candidate for this job for a variety of reasons.
    AFA2017
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by AFA2017 Fri 9 Jan 2015 - 12:32

We will see. My point being, the Jets during the draft are well known as not to pick the top player on everyone's board after the 1st Rd. For some unknown reason we always chose the unexpected draftee that has everyone scratching the heads. I don't want another GM like that. I also was not pointing in Maccagnan's direction. I understand what you all are saying. Just wanted to get my point across

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024 - 2:42