Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+16
Sarge
NickSINYC
NCgreen12
jamesfyo123
Blindsidebrick
SackExchange
Seaver
hobson54
Superman55
McJet
soj
GratefulJet
NYJETSDAN16
LIJETFAN
cysporsche
football51
20 posters

List of GM candidates

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

List of GM candidates - Page 7 Empty Re: List of GM candidates

Post by Superman55 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 21:24

NickSINYC wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:
    football51 wrote:

Brian Costello
    ‏@BrianCoz
    Jets announce they will interview Buccaneers player personnel director Jon Robinson for GM job #nyj

cheers Shot score ! Yeah he's really turned the Buc's around why not ! And please don't say he has strong scouting skills with the Patsies ? If not for a lucky 5th rounder, they'd be a .500 team like the Jets.

At least Korn-Ferry Search Firm recruited from the best team (Seahawks), not the bottom feeding Buc's ! I'm still concerned that with the Casserly / Wolf "good old boy" type of recruiting, is going to blow up in our face. cherry

Go Jets...Cyborg

I just want to throw this out there. I think when it comes to college and pro personnel people along with coordinators the success or non success of their teams has little to no correlation to how they will personally succeed at the top job. It is a guessing game. It has to do with how their talents translate to the new job and not how they performed at the current one.

Nick - I agree with you most of the time, even when I dont admit it, and the philosophy isn't a bad one...but a guy who comes from a below average scouting department being put in charge of personnel doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me...
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 21:41

Superman55 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:
    football51 wrote:

Brian Costello
    ‏@BrianCoz
    Jets announce they will interview Buccaneers player personnel director Jon Robinson for GM job #nyj

cheers Shot score ! Yeah he's really turned the Buc's around why not ! And please don't say he has strong scouting skills with the Patsies ? If not for a lucky 5th rounder, they'd be a .500 team like the Jets.

At least Korn-Ferry Search Firm recruited from the best team (Seahawks), not the bottom feeding Buc's ! I'm still concerned that with the Casserly / Wolf "good old boy" type of recruiting, is going to blow up in our face. cherry

Go Jets...Cyborg

I just want to throw this out there. I think when it comes to college and pro personnel people along with coordinators the success or non success of their teams has little to no correlation to how they will personally succeed at the top job. It is a guessing game. It has to do with how their talents translate to the new job and not how they performed at the current one.

Nick - I agree with you most of the time, even when I dont admit it, and the philosophy isn't a bad one...but a guy who comes from a below average scouting department being put in charge of personnel doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me...

Thanks lets think about it like this. Do we know if Robinson was GM if those picks would have been the same. Do we know if all the good picks were his idea and the bad ones the GMs or vise versa. Thats what I mean by until the person is actually doing the job we have no way to accurately predict his success looking in from the outside.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 0:41

NickSINYC wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:
    football51 wrote:

Brian Costello
    ‏@BrianCoz

Go Jets...Cyborg

Thanks lets think about it like this. Do we know if Robinson was GM if those picks would have been the same. Do we know if all the good picks were his idea and the bad ones the GMs or vise versa. Thats what I mean by until the person is actually doing the job we have no way to accurately predict his success looking in from the outside.

Bill B drives the bus, so maybe you're right.

But what you're saying, is maybe we should grab our coaching staff from Oakland because maybe it wasn't the coaches fault Oakland sucked, it was all Al Davis'.

My point is, why grab boards off the burning house to build your next one?  If he was the director of scouting for a team that drafts poorly, wouldn't you prefer to hire a director of scouting from a team that drafts well?
    AFA2017
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by AFA2017 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 5:33

Bill B drives the bus, so maybe you're right.

But what you're saying, is maybe we should grab our coaching staff from Oakland because maybe it wasn't the coaches fault Oakland sucked, it was all Al Davis'.

My point is, why grab boards off the burning house to build your next one?  If he was the director of scouting for a team that drafts poorly, wouldn't you prefer to hire a director of scouting from a team that drafts well?

+1 Very Happy
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 6:18

What I am saying is you can take someone off the best team or the worst team and promote both to the next level either one can succeed or fail. It is a completely new job. Different skill sets are needed to succeed in that job. Past performance in the old job does not always translate in to the new one. I would trust more what I heard in an interview than just looking at what went on on the old team. If I had to I could make a pretty long list of people moving to the next level coming from a top team and failing on their new one. I think just to totally write off a candidate the consultants want to interview just because of the team they come from is short sighted and wrong. Let them hear the mans ideas and plans he has for the team. Let them gauge his personality and temperament. They may find a diamond in the rough,
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 6:56

NickSINYC wrote:What I am saying is you can take someone off the best team or the worst team and promote both to the next level either one can succeed or fail. It is a completely new job. Different skill sets are needed to succeed in that job. Past performance in the old job does not always translate in to the new one. I would trust more what I heard in an interview than just looking at what went on on the old team. If I had to I could make a pretty long list of people moving to the next level coming from a top team and failing on their new one. I think just to totally write off a candidate the consultants want to interview just because of the team they come from is short sighted and wrong. Let them hear the mans ideas and plans he has for the team. Let them gauge his personality and temperament. They may find a diamond in the rough,

I agree. If someone took credit for the good work of an associate at their old job when applying for a new job, it sure wouldn't be the first time. The resume only tells you so much. You have to really get to know them as much as you can during the interview. Get them talking, to reveal as much as possible about their character, temperament, thought process, communication skills, etc. That's the thing about this process that I find most encouraging: they are interviewing so many candidates for two different jobs, I think they must be getting pretty good at it. Hope they can separate the wheat from the chaff.
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 9:05

While we all know what is printed is not necessarily the truth it's been reported that the Jets haven't been impressed so far with any of the GM candidates and I think they have interviewed quite a few of them. Starting to get mildly concerned. Throw in the fact that Ballard and Pace blew us off for the opportunity to manage a team QB'd by Jay Cutler with an absolutely lousy defense and it adds to that concern. You would think on the surface that having a high pick, tons of cash to spend on free agency and probable mild expectations from an owner would be somewhat attractive.

When we hired Idzik we had a limited pool to pick from because of Rex being included and it didn't help that the process was being run by a professional search firm. I guess the positive now is we have football professionals consulting on this but you wonder how much the negative stigma the Jets have hinders them getting the best guy.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 9:12

Mike Mccagnan from Houston is coming back for a 2nd interview. No surprise. The impression is that he is closely linked to Marrone's candidacy, whether that is right or not, that is the impression
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 9:14

The Houston Texans have promoted Mike Maccagnan to director of college scouting and named Dale Strahm a national college scout, the Texans announced today.

Maccagnan has been with the franchise for 12 years and served as the assistant director of college scouting since June of 2010. In his new role, he will coordinate all of the Texans’ college scouting efforts. In addition, he is involved with evaluating NFL teams and prospects in preparation for NFL free agency.

One of the Texans’ first hires, Maccagnan initially joined the club as a pro scout in January 2000 before being promoted to coordinator of college scouting in April 2000.

Before arriving in Houston, Maccagnan spent the previous six years as a scout for the Washington Redskins. Prior to his tenure with the Redskins, Maccagnan was the director of scouting and player personnel for the CFL’s Ottawa Rough Riders and Saskatchewan Roughriders (1994). He also was the director of player personnel for the World League’s London Monarchs when that franchise captured the league championship in 1991. In 1990, Maccagnan worked in the World League office as a league scout.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 10:01

Sarge wrote:The Houston Texans have promoted Mike Maccagnan to director of college scouting and named Dale Strahm a national college scout, the Texans announced today.

Maccagnan has been with the franchise for 12 years and served as the assistant director of college scouting since June of 2010. In his new role, he will coordinate all of the Texans’ college scouting efforts. In addition, he is involved with evaluating NFL teams and prospects in preparation for NFL free agency.

One of the Texans’ first hires, Maccagnan initially joined the club as a pro scout in January 2000 before being promoted to coordinator of college scouting in April 2000.

Before arriving in Houston, Maccagnan spent the previous six years as a scout for the Washington Redskins. Prior to his tenure with the Redskins, Maccagnan was the director of scouting and player personnel for the CFL’s Ottawa Rough Riders and Saskatchewan Roughriders (1994). He also was the director of player personnel for the World League’s London Monarchs when that franchise captured the league championship in 1991. In 1990, Maccagnan worked in the World League office as a league scout.

Makes it easier to hire him as GM. If he was coming straight from the job title "assistant director of college scouting", it would look like too big a leap.

(I'm only semi-serious. Wink
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 10:24

Sarge wrote:The Houston Texans have promoted Mike Maccagnan to director of college scouting and named Dale Strahm a national college scout, the Texans announced today.

The problem with the good old boy type of recruiting is, that friends refer friends, even if they are just average. Mike MacCaagnan is old pals with Casserly from his Redskin days.

My main concern is that both Casserly & Wolf are old as dirt, and have been out of the loop in the NFL for quite a while. They don't know all the young up and comers in the NFL ranks.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 10:36

cysporsche wrote:

The problem with the good old boy type of recruiting is, that friends refer friends, even if they are just average. Mike MacCaagnan is old pals with Casserly from his Redskin days.

My main concern is that both Casserly & Wolf are old as dirt, and have been out of the loop in the NFL for quite a while. They don't know all the young up and comers in the NFL ranks.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Well I may have posted it before... But in reference to your old as dirt comment on Casserly and Wolf... In Casserly's 2014 NFL Mock Draft he had the Jets selecting Odell Beckham Jr... Granted the Giants did pick him at 12, 6 spots before us but clearly he did have his eye on a talented player that was an obvious need for us.. And in later drafts he had Beckham moving up and had us taking Marquise Lee in his final mock. So he may be old but he definitely still knows talent and need for a team.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 10:47

Casserly and Wolf are part of a Committee that meets monthly to analyze and keep up to date on up and coming coach and GM candidates
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 11:22

Based on his twitter crawl today, Manish must think Maccagnan is a done deal as Jets GM. He's absolutely crucifying the poor bastard.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 12:29

GratefulJet wrote:Based on his twitter crawl today, Manish must think Maccagnan is a done deal as Jets GM. He's absolutely crucifying the poor bastard.

It seems like not a soul in the NFL world or media world care what he says anymore.. Wouldn't be surprised if the Daily News gives him a new assignment soon.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 12:37

lnap23 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:Based on his twitter crawl today, Manish must think Maccagnan is a done deal as Jets GM. He's absolutely crucifying the poor bastard.

It seems like not a soul in the NFL world or media world care what he says anymore.. Wouldn't be surprised if the Daily News gives him a new assignment soon.  
    I think he keeps his beat because the NYDN knows exactly what he is, and keeps him assigned there. It sounds like he's exactly what they want.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 12:50

lnap23 wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

Well I may have posted it before... But in reference to your old as dirt comment on Casserly and Wolf... In Casserly's 2014 NFL Mock Draft he had the Jets selecting Odell Beckham Jr... Granted the Giants did pick him at 12, 6 spots before us but clearly he did have his eye on a talented player that was an obvious need for us.. And in later drafts he had Beckham moving up and had us taking Marquise Lee in his final mock.  So he may be old but he definitely still knows talent and need for a team.

Lou, Huge difference between the draft, and the "internal" structure of NFL teams. We have numerous posters here that once they buy a draft guide, they become experts ! I know how Casserly was run out of the Redskins camp long before Houston hired him, and don't think he's as well respected my many in the NFL circle.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 13:31

Ugh...Maccagnan will NOT be a fit with this fan base. This is one of Cimini's tweets:

" Rich Cimini  @RichCimini
    GM candidate Mike Maccagnan impressed Jets with cerebral approach, organizational skills, scouting system and views on running a team. #nyj"

Cerebral? Better start getting the "Fire Maccagnan" billboards, signs, and towels ready. We don't want a guy who thinks. We want a fun guy, a guy with a big, loud personality who we'd all want to have a beer with.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 13:44

Cerebral = Wimpy, Soft, Weak, Thin Skinned, Idziky, Malleable
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 13:54

Sarge wrote:Cerebral = Wimpy, Soft, Weak, Thin Skinned, Idziky, Malleable
    This.

That's exactly what Jets fans think of someone who is cerebral.

Anti-intellectualism at its height.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 14:12

Cimini's comments are very favorable.  Leberfeld also posted some favorable comments about Macagnan.  He has been on the personnel side for quite some time and from what I've read is considered a very good talent evaluator.  The Texans have had a pretty talented roster, particularly on defense and at the skills positions the past few years, they just can't put it all together.  

I don't know what Mehta is talking about.  That guy really has some kind of a vendetta against the Jets.  I don't know what is, but he should be taken off their beat.  

I would be fine with this hire, provided he gets the right coach.  I would not be thrilled with the Marrone hiring.  If the Jets were able to hire Quinn, and he brings Kyle Shanahan along with him, that  would be a great start.  I don't know what happened with Kyle Shanahan and RGIII, but he seems like a good offensive mind, and knows how to put a game plan together.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 14:17

I am starting to really like the idea of Maccagnan as GM, Quinn as HC (Marrone would be a second choice), and Kyle Shanahan as OC.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 14:24

SackExchange wrote:I am starting to really like the idea of Maccagnan as GM, Quinn as HC (Marrone would be a second choice), and Kyle Shanahan as OC.

I thought Maccagnan was tied to Marrone. Does he have ties to Quinn?
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 14:46

I believe (and hope) that the GM, Woody, Casserly & Wolf will hire the best coaching candidate, not necessarily the coaching candidate that they know. I think Casserly said it best when he said you have to find out if they can work well together. That's more important than having a long history together.

If you look at Maccagnan's resume, he's been with the Texans a long time. My guess is that he scouted some of their better players which is why he is well regarded as a personnel guy.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 8 Jan 2015 - 14:57

Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:I am starting to really like the idea of Maccagnan as GM, Quinn as HC (Marrone would be a second choice), and Kyle Shanahan as OC.

I thought Maccagnan was tied to Marrone.  Does he have ties to Quinn?
    Not sure he has ties to Quinn. It may make Marrone a bit more likely, which I am fine with. But he needs to have say in the process.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024 - 14:29