Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+15
NYJETSDAN16
lnap23
JohnnyBaseball
Old#15
SackExchange
The Wicker Man
jetfandreamer
football51
Blindsidebrick
cysporsche
hobson54
Superman55
GratefulJet
Seaver
Sarge
19 posters

My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

jetfandreamer
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

My Unofficial Next Coach Odds - Page 4 Empty Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

Post by jetfandreamer Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 19:54

Sarge wrote:Week 14 Jets Coach Risers and Fallers

RISERS
    Adam Gase
    Gary Kubiak
    Todd Bowles
    Dan Quinn
    Lane Kiffin
    Kevin Sumlin
    Art Briles
    Todd Haley

FALLERS
    Hue Jackson
    Vic Fangio
    Greg Roman

Gase has Manning..take with grain of salt......I think give Kubiak and Kiffen another chance
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 20:14

I give Gase credit for pitting in a more balanced offense this year in Denver.  But I'd be okay with Kubiak and Kiffin (and Hakey, Bevell, or Hamilton) too.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 9:45

Blindsidebrick wrote:Anyone who thinks Harbaugh would be a good choice as our next HC, just take a look at the disintegration of the 49ers right now. Harbaugh is losing that locker room. Too much talent on this team to be losing badly to Oakland.

Harbaugh is too polarizing for me. But that's just me. I think Idzik should go after Quinn or Bevell.

For anyone who missed it, the Raiders lost 52-0 last week. And they just manhandled Colin K...Embarrassed.

well Harbaugh definitely seems like the type that can become grating on players after a while. which is why he may be better suited to college (please, please) than the nfl.

but if you are gonna evaluate harbaugh on his record, then you should look at the entire record. so don't just look at the decimated team falling apart in year 4. also look at 13-3, nfc title game in year 1, 11-4-1 super bowl appearance in year 2, and 12-4 nfc title game in year 3.

now the price you'd have to pay to get him may make it not worth the while. but to rule him out because he's having 1 bad year after 3 conference title game appearances seems a bit too much "what have you done for me lately"
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 9:47

Sarge wrote:I give Gase credit for pitting in a more balanced offense this year in Denver.  But I'd be okay with Kubiak and Kiffin (and Hakey, Bevell, or Hamilton) too.

kiffin??? Shocked

good lord no. the guy is an awful head coach. don't understand how someone who has been so unsuccessful at various head coaching positions keeps getting mentioned for future jobs
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 10:14

hobson54 wrote:
    Sarge wrote:I give Gase credit for pitting in a more balanced offense this year in Denver.  But I'd be okay with Kubiak and Kiffin (and Hakey, Bevell, or Hamilton) too.

kiffin??? Shocked

good lord no.  the guy is an awful head coach.  don't understand how someone who has been so unsuccessful at various head coaching positions keeps getting mentioned for future jobs

+1
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 10:18

Well, Kiffin stepped into a mess with the Raiders, had Tennessee playing OK his one year there and did okay with USC even though they were on probation. His problems stem from general douchebaggery more than coaching inability

In theory, with more maturity, and a good experienced defensive coordinator, he could be a successful head coach
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 10:55

If we are looking for an offensive minded coach, what about Norv Turner ?

Go Jets...Cyborg
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 11:08

Sarge wrote:Well, Kiffin stepped into a mess with the Raiders,  had Tennessee playing OK his one year there and did okay with USC even though they were on probation.  His problems stem from general douchebaggery more than coaching inability

In theory, with more maturity, and a good experienced defensive coordinator, he could be a successful head coach

let someone else test that theory...
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 11:12

I'd be happy to keep him at Bama 3 or 4 more seasons
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 19:41

Jon Gruden to Michigan is the rumor du jour
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 22:23

Sarge wrote:Jon Gruden to Michigan is the rumor du jour

haven't seen jon gruden mentioned at all on the michigan board. one pro name that has popped up is sean payton, who supposedly is a huge michigan fan. i think that's a far fetched fantasy, but i've seen his name mentioned a number of times by credible posters.

some pro coordinators whose names have been bandied about are pep hamilton, darrell bevell and teryl austin.  of course, option A is still jim harbaugh, who despite the various reports saying he will stay in the pros, hasn't quite yet ruled out returning to his alma mater. if not harbaugh, then who knows. the AD has said something like he has a list of 14 candidates
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 22:50

Actually the rumor was JAY Gruden, not Jon
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 9:43

hobson54 wrote:

haven't seen jon gruden mentioned at all on the michigan board. one pro name that has popped up is sean payton, who supposedly is a huge michigan fan.  i think that's a far fetched fantasy, but i've seen his name mentioned a number of times by credible posters.

some pro coordinators whose names have been bandied about are pep hamilton, darrell bevell and teryl austin.  of course, option A is still jim harbaugh, who despite the various reports saying he will stay in the pros, hasn't quite yet ruled out returning to his alma mater.  if not harbaugh, then who knows.  the AD has said something like he has a list of 14 candidates

I think Michigan is back on top of Harbaugh's wish list after getting spanked by the Raiders. I doubt any NFL wants to give the 49rs a #1 draft pick, so Michigan makes the most sense.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 9:56

Sarge wrote:Actually the rumor was JAY Gruden, not Jon

i just threw up in my mouth for the second time seeing jay gruden linked to one of my football team's head coaching vacancies.

that said, i've also seen no mention of jay gruden as a realistic option for michigan.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 10:00

cysporsche wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:

haven't seen jon gruden mentioned at all on the michigan board. one pro name that has popped up is sean payton, who supposedly is a huge michigan fan.  i think that's a far fetched fantasy, but i've seen his name mentioned a number of times by credible posters.

some pro coordinators whose names have been bandied about are pep hamilton, darrell bevell and teryl austin.  of course, option A is still jim harbaugh, who despite the various reports saying he will stay in the pros, hasn't quite yet ruled out returning to his alma mater.  if not harbaugh, then who knows.  the AD has said something like he has a list of 14 candidates

I think Michigan is back on top of Harbaugh's wish list after getting spanked by the Raiders. I doubt any NFL wants to give the 49rs a #1 draft pick, so Michigan makes the most sense.

Go Jets...Cyborg

the niners have no leverage. everyone in the world knows they don't want harbaugh back next year. so they have 3 options: (i) fire harbaugh, (ii) trade harbaugh for whatever the market bears, or (iii) keep harbaugh and pay him to finisih out his contract. choice (iii) is highly unrealistic.

so last week's loss really has nothing to do with the big picture, except possibly speeding up a timeline.

in the end, it will come down to does harbaugh want the michigan job or pursue another job in the nfl. the fact that he hasn't (apparently) told michigan no yet leaves a lot of michigan insiders optimistic. it's possible he's already said yes to michigan and it is being kept under wraps. the new AD has been airtight on leaks, so none of the usual insiders has any idea what is happening. but it is very likely, he hasn't decided which direction to go yet.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 16:00

Damien Woody @damienwoody · 8h 8 hours ago
    Love Dan Quinn!! Was w/ him my first yr w/ #Jets—should be a HC very soon! @Espngreeny @MikeAndMike

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 6h 6 hours ago
    In response to Quinn concerns: Not about hiring O or D. It is about finding the best overall candidate who can build the best overall staff
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 16:23

I agree you have to hire the best person regardless of offense or defense. However, tie goes to the offense
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 17:02

Jim Mora to Michigan is the rumor du jour
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 18:27

Sarge wrote:Jim Mora to Michigan is the rumor du jour

it does appear that mora jr is high on the list of non-harbaugh candidates. although some aren't sure if this isn't just a play by his agent to get a pay raise out of UCLA (seemed to have worked for butch jones)
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 10 Dec 2014 - 7:52

Sarge wrote:I agree you have to hire the best person regardless of offense or defense.  However, tie goes to the offense

^^^ this.

I'm super high on Bowles for Arizona. The guys gets it done regardless of injury. But I could see Bevell and Hamilton also interview well. All great at what they do and very flexible coaches.

Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. A lot of quality guys on the way up.

Really wish we made this decision a year ago when O'Brien, Zimmer, and Gruden were available. Regardless of record, I like all 3 of their approaches to coaching. I have a lot of respect for what they are doing.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Wed 10 Dec 2014 - 12:06

Why is Urban Meyer / Ohio State not of the Jets wish list ? Besides Saban, I think Meyer is an excellent HC who needs a bigger challenge in the NFL.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 10 Dec 2014 - 12:21

We don't know for sure who is or isn't on the Jets list. I'd be surprised if Meyer would be interested, but you never know. Bob Stoops is another guy who might not want to go to the pros
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Wed 10 Dec 2014 - 18:48

Gary Anderson leaving Wisconsin for Oregon St. seems like a backwards step to me.

in any event, I wonder if Darrell Bevell (played at Wisc, coached in GB) will be a candidate
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 10 Dec 2014 - 18:59

hobson54 wrote:Gary Anderson leaving Wisconsin for Oregon St.  seems like a backwards step to me.

in any event, I wonder if Darrell Bevell (played at Wisc, coached in GB) will be a candidate

Hey, that's a great observation! It would SUCK to lose Bevell to college
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 10 Dec 2014 - 22:13

Yeah that seems like a strange move by Anderson, but maybe Alvarez gave him his "blessings" to pursue other opportunities after that 59-0 whipping he took from Meyer in the Big Ten championship. Perhaps Barry Alvarez is just a tough boss/act to follow for any head coach. Or maybe Anderson just decided that two Wisconsin winters were quite enough, thank you very much.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 10:55