Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+15
NYJETSDAN16
lnap23
JohnnyBaseball
Old#15
SackExchange
The Wicker Man
jetfandreamer
football51
Blindsidebrick
cysporsche
hobson54
Superman55
GratefulJet
Seaver
Sarge
19 posters

My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

My Unofficial Next Coach Odds - Page 7 Empty Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

Post by hobson54 Fri 19 Dec 2014 - 12:39

seaver - i think one thing you may be discounting is that to harbaugh, michigan is not just a college job. it's a return home from him. he spent a good part of his childhood in ann arbor, where his dad was an assistant under Bo. he played QB at michigan, under bo, a man he considers his idol and his "second father." so to him, returning michigan to prominence is returning bo's program to prominence.

there's a rumor of a text convo between harbaugh and andy moeller (his college roomate/teammate, the son of ex-michigan coach gary moeller, and the current o-line coach of the browns) where moeller tells harbaugh it's time to come home, and harbaugh responds with "we're getting the band back together, we're on a mission from bo" (bonus points to anyone who can name the movie reference).

this text message has been circulated among the interwebz and i can't vouch for it's authority. but there are a lot more ties to michigan for harbaugh than just taking a job at a big time college program.

now in the end, it doesn't mean he takes the job (although people on the michigan end remain optimistic). but i can't see harbaugh solely using michigan for leverage. he would be alienating a lot of people in doing so, including close friends and former teammates, and most importantly, his dad, who (reportedly) has done a lot of the behind-the-scenes legwork between the michigan camp (the current AD played under jack harbaugh) and the harbaugh camp.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Fri 19 Dec 2014 - 12:59

Final Pre-Christmas / Pre-Black Monday Odds
    Dec 19 2014

Darrell Bevell (Seattle OC) - 10-1
    Pep Hamilton (Indy OC) - 11-1
    Dan Quinn (Seattle DC) - 11-1
    Todd Bowles (Arizona DC) - 11-1
    Todd Haley (Steelrs OC) - 14-1
    Adam Gase (Denver OC) - 18-1

Gary Kubiak (Balitmore OC) - 22-1
    Jim Mora (UCLA) - 24-1
    Jack Del Rio (Denver DC) - 25-1
    Hue Jackson (Cinnanati OC) - 29-1
    Jim Harbaugh (49ers HC) -  30-1
    Greg Roman (SF OC) - 30-1
    Vic Fangio (SF DC) - 31-1
    Rob Chudzinski (Ex Browns) - 32-1
    Art Briles (Baylor) - 34-1
    OTHER - 35-1
    Kevin Sumlin (TAMU) - 36-1
    Dave Toub (KC ST) - 39-1
    Sean McDermott (Carolina DC) - 44-1
    Jim Tomsula (SF ST) - 45-1
    Frank Reich (San Diego OC) - 65-1
    Brian Billick (Ex Ravens) - 78-1
    Greg Schiano (Ex Rutgers) - 79-1
    Lane Kiffin (Ex Raiders) - 88-1
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 19 Dec 2014 - 13:20

hobson54 wrote:seaver - i think one thing you may be discounting is that to harbaugh, michigan is not just a college job.  it's a return home from him.  he spent a good part of his childhood in ann arbor, where his dad was an assistant under Bo.  he played QB at michigan, under bo, a man he considers his idol and his "second father."  so to him, returning michigan to prominence is returning bo's program to prominence.

there's a rumor of a text convo between harbaugh and andy moeller (his college roomate/teammate, the son of ex-michigan coach gary moeller, and the current o-line coach of the browns) where moeller tells harbaugh it's time to come home, and harbaugh responds with "we're getting the band back together, we're on a mission from bo" (bonus points to anyone who can name the movie reference).

this text message has been circulated among the interwebz and i can't vouch for it's authority.  but there are a lot more ties to michigan for harbaugh than just taking a job at a big time college program.

now in the end, it doesn't mean he takes the job (although people on the michigan end remain optimistic).  but i can't see harbaugh solely using michigan for leverage.  he would be alienating a lot of people in doing so, including close friends and former teammates, and most importantly, his dad, who (reportedly) has done a lot of the behind-the-scenes legwork between the michigan camp (the current AD played under jack harbaugh) and the harbaugh camp.

Blues Brothers?

I am not ignoring the lure of coaching his alma mater.........I just don't think he wants any regrets leaving the NFL. I could be wrong as hell. It'd be a nice story for Michigan, but can he recruit well enough to bring them back? Big Ten isn't getting the talent it once did....
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 19 Dec 2014 - 13:49

Seaver wrote:
    Blues Brothers?

I am not ignoring the lure of coaching his alma mater.........I just don't think he wants any regrets leaving the NFL.  I could be wrong as hell.  It'd be a nice story for Michigan, but can he recruit well enough to bring them back?  Big Ten isn't getting the talent it once did....

ding ding ding...correct

as to recruiting, i don't think that should be a concern. he's a guy who recruited well at stanford (andrew luck, richard sherman, david decastro, zach ertz, coby fleener among recent high round pro picks) and they had very difficult academic requirements. he has big name value. he's a guy who knows what it takes to succeed in the pros, which is what high school kids want. and he's been in the college game before, so it wouldn't be brand new to him. plus he would bring in a staff that has contacts and will be recruiting as well.

and michigan has been recruiting well of late. if you go by the so-called recruiting services, they've had top 10 classes the last few years. the problem has been coaching and developing the players.

now it probably won't be SEC-level recruiting. michigan doesn't allow SEC-style recruiting (no JUCOs, need to have decent academics, no over-signing players and "sort it out later" type stuff). but there are no concerns on how harbaugh would recruit if he were to go to michigan. if brady hoke can land the #2 class in 2013 and the #4 class in 2012 (scout rankings), i have no concerns about jim harbaugh's ability to recruit
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 19 Dec 2014 - 15:53

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Fri 19 Dec 2014 - 16:12

Brian Billick would straighten the Jets out in offense, defense & special teams in a hurry. Personally I think Billick is a little kurt or abrupt; however, after having the best players HC ever, I noticed a team not disciplined and almost out of control. Billick would improve the team immediately.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 19 Dec 2014 - 16:28

cysporsche wrote:Brian Billick would straighten the Jets out in offense, defense & special teams in a hurry. Personally I think Billick is a little kurt or abrupt; however, after having the best players HC ever, I noticed a team not disciplined and almost out of control. Billick would improve the team immediately.

Go Jets...Cyborg

I think Billick has the right makeup for the job and I could live with his hire. I just wish he was a little younger 60 is pushing it for me as far as a long term solution.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Fri 19 Dec 2014 - 16:42

Billick is in my "acceptable" list - he could probably put together a good staff
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 19 Dec 2014 - 17:49

Every commercial break on Sirius is reporting Harbough Family believes he's going to Michigan.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 0:56

Ouch, now the reports are Harbough passion and desire is the NFL and he does view college as a step back in his coaching evolution. Ross Tucker said he feels the Bears and Phins are lurking behind Oakland and will likely offer picks and $9-10 mill per for Harbough, which will be more than the $8 mill Harbough is reluctant to take from Michigan.

Couple other interesting things I'm reading, Bears have Harbough 1a and Holmgren 1b already lined up as soon as the season ends.

Atlanta making moves to secure their OC and promote him to assistant HC and keep him whether Smith fired or not. Most people think Atlanta is setting the table to secure Rex shortly after fired.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 1:32

cysporsche wrote:Brian Billick would straighten the Jets out in offense, defense & special teams in a hurry. Personally I think Billick is a little kurt or abrupt; however, after having the best players HC ever, I noticed a team not disciplined and almost out of control. Billick would improve the team immediately.

Go Jets...Cyborg

We could do a lot worse than Billick. I'd be OK with this pick as HC.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 1:50

Blindsidebrick wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

If we got Billick, we need to Lock up a very strong personnel department and coordinators. Billick never brought that offense from the Vikings to the Ravens, no matter how's my OCs they went through.

The other thing was Billick and his OCs in their draft rvaluation of QBs were Awful when you look at Banks, Redman, and Boller. You have to think that despite the GM making the pick, Billick, his OC, and his QB coaches had to look at those guys and feel they fit his system.

They never exactly developed a QB or offense when he was there.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 4:03

Sarge wrote:Final Pre-Christmas / Pre-Black Monday Odds
    Dec 19 2014

Darrell Bevell (Seattle OC) - 10-1
    Pep Hamilton (Indy OC) - 11-1
    Dan Quinn (Seattle DC) - 11-1
    Todd Bowles (Arizona DC) - 11-1
    Todd Haley (Steelrs OC) - 14-1
    Adam Gase (Denver OC) - 18-1

Gary Kubiak (Balitmore OC) - 22-1
    Jim Mora (UCLA) - 24-1
    Jack Del Rio (Denver DC) - 25-1
    Hue Jackson (Cinnanati OC) - 29-1
    Jim Harbaugh (49ers HC) -  30-1
    Greg Roman (SF OC) - 30-1
    Vic Fangio (SF DC) - 31-1
    Rob Chudzinski (Ex Browns) - 32-1
    Art Briles (Baylor) - 34-1
    OTHER - 35-1
    Kevin Sumlin (TAMU) - 36-1
    Dave Toub (KC ST) - 39-1
    Sean McDermott (Carolina DC) - 44-1
    Jim Tomsula (SF ST) - 45-1
    Frank Reich (San Diego OC) - 65-1
    Brian Billick (Ex Ravens) - 78-1
    Greg Schiano (Ex Rutgers) - 79-1
    Lane Kiffin (Ex Raiders) - 88-1
    i

Name to watch: Scott Linehan.

Dallas strips Garrett of play calling duties, hand it to Linehan, and an old school, conservative, non-turnover prone blue print unfolds perfectly.

He'll be a hot commodity.

Tony Romo on the road this year: 18 TDs 1 INT. Some people, right or wrong, will think he's another Sean Payton.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 11:15

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

If we got Billick, we need to Lock up a very strong personnel department and coordinators.  Billick never brought that offense from the Vikings to the Ravens, no matter how's my OCs they went through.

The other thing was Billick and his OCs in their draft rvaluation of QBs were Awful when you look at Banks, Redman, and Boller.  You have to think that despite the GM making the pick, Billick, his OC, and his QB coaches had to look at those guys and feel they fit his system.

So............... Ozzie Newsome doesn't take a hit for those draft failures. It's Billick and his oc's? Got it. So, Idzik didn't miss on Geno, it was Rex and Marty and David Lee( well, probably not Rex who I'm sure wasn't aware of any non defensive draft choice). It was MM who wanted Vick here because he fit the system too. That clears things up a lot.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 11:56

Superman55 wrote:Ouch, now the reports are Harbough passion and desire is the NFL and he does view college as a step back in his coaching evolution.  Ross Tucker said he feels the Bears and Phins are lurking behind Oakland and will likely offer picks and $9-10 mill per for Harbough, which will be more than the $8 mill Harbough is reluctant to take from Michigan.

Couple other interesting things I'm reading, Bears have Harbough 1a and Holmgren 1b already lined up as soon as the season ends.

Atlanta making moves to secure their OC and promote him to assistant HC and keep him whether Smith fired or not.  Most people think Atlanta is setting the table to secure Rex shortly after fired.

fwiw, the talk on the michigan board is that the contract for harbaugh is more or less done and he could sign it any day.

the talk of him wanting to stay in the pros is coming from nfl talking heads who previously said there is no way he would ever go back to college. they are "protecting the shield" so to speak, by saying it would be a step back for harbaugh to go back to college.

they've been consistently wrong on his interest in going to michigan, so i'm not putting much credence into these current reports.

that said, i do not consider it a done deal until he is signed, sealed and delivered. he may in the end decide to stay in the pros. but i take any report from an nfl talking head with a grain of salt.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 12:13

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

If we got Billick, we need to Lock up a very strong personnel department and coordinators.  Billick never brought that offense from the Vikings to the Ravens, no matter how's my OCs they went through.

The other thing was Billick and his OCs in their draft rvaluation of QBs were Awful when you look at Banks, Redman, and Boller.  You have to think that despite the GM making the pick, Billick, his OC, and his QB coaches had to look at those guys and feel they fit his system.

Ozzie Newsome picked the draft picks and players. Billick coached them up and won a Super Bowl. He's a tough football guy, who is the bi-polar of Rex.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 12:27

I don't think we want a bi-polar Rex! Very Happy
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 12:36

Sarge wrote:I don't think we want a bi-polar Rex! Very Happy

Bi-polar might not have been a good term, how about opposite ? LOL

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 13:09

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:Ouch, now the reports are Harbough passion and desire is the NFL and he does view college as a step back in his coaching evolution.  Ross Tucker said he feels the Bears and Phins are lurking behind Oakland and will likely offer picks and $9-10 mill per for Harbough, which will be more than the $8 mill Harbough is reluctant to take from Michigan.

Atlanta making moves to secure their OC and promote him to assistant HC and keep him whether Smith fired or not.  Most people think Atlanta is setting the table to secure Rex shortly after fired.

fwiw, the talk on the michigan board is that the contract for harbaugh is more or less done and he could sign it any day.

the talk of him wanting to stay in the pros is coming from nfl talking heads who previously said there is no way he would ever go back to college.  they are "protecting the shield" so to speak, by saying it would be a step back for harbaugh to go back to college.

they've been consistently wrong on his interest in going to michigan, so i'm not putting much credence into these current reports.

that said, i do not consider it a done deal until he is signed, sealed and delivered.  he may in the end decide to stay in the pros.  but i take any report from an nfl talking head with a grain of salt.

For selfish reasons I want him on the Jets, Raiders, or bEars and not coaching Michigan or Phins. Smile
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 8:22

With meltdown/dysfunction in San Francisco, 49ers might want to clean house rather than promote from within.  Pep Hamilton, Dan Quinn, Darrell Bevell, or Todd Bowles from our presumed list might be options.  If they dip back into the college ranks, they might look at Art Briles, David Shaw, or even a guy like Dan Mullen or Jimbo Fisher
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 9:40

football51 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

Go Jets...Cyborg

So............... Ozzie Newsome doesn't take a hit for those draft failures. It's Billick and his oc's? Got it. So, Idzik didn't miss on Geno, it was Rex and Marty and David Lee( well, probably not Rex who I'm sure wasn't aware of any non defensive draft choice). It was MM who wanted Vick here because he fit the system too. That clears things up a lot.

Ozzie and the coaches deserve equal blame...just like Idzik and the coaches deserve equal blame. Don't let your hate for Ryan cloud your judgement this holiday season. The Jets aren't a 3 win team because of 1 man. There's blame to go around.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 10:21

CBS reporting Bowles high on Bears And Jets list of coaches, for what it's worth.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 11:44

Superman55 wrote:Every commercial break on Sirius is reporting Harbough Family believes he's going to Michigan.

Cross Harbaugh off my wish list, after his huge melt down last night against the Chargers. Terrible loss with a huge lead. It almost appeared his players have quit on him ? Let him go back to Michigan.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 11:45

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 11:46

cysporsche wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:Every commercial break on Sirius is reporting Harbough Family believes he's going to Michigan.

Cross Harbaugh off my wish list, after his huge melt down last night against the Chargers. Terrible loss with a huge lead. It almost appeared his players have quit on him ? Let him go back to Michigan.

Go Jets...Cyborg

lol...i'll be more than happy to take him.

but i guess if you are evaluating him on this week and not on taking his team to 3 consecutive nfc title games and 1 super bowl, then your assessment makes sense...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 9:31