Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+15
NYJETSDAN16
lnap23
JohnnyBaseball
Old#15
SackExchange
The Wicker Man
jetfandreamer
football51
Blindsidebrick
cysporsche
hobson54
Superman55
GratefulJet
Seaver
Sarge
19 posters

My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

My Unofficial Next Coach Odds - Page 3 Empty Re: My Unofficial Next Coach Odds

Post by Sarge Thu 4 Dec 2014 - 10:53

Florida hired former Bama OC and Colorado State HC Jim McElwain. Good coach and didn't mess up the Jets likely search in any significant way. Michigan and Nebraska still big name schools looking that could impact us
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Thu 4 Dec 2014 - 10:58

I doubt Michigan or Nebraska mess up the search for our next HC...
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Thu 4 Dec 2014 - 11:07

I doubt it too, if you think Harbaugh is in play for Jets, it might. Greg Roman, Adam Gase, Pep Hamilton, Dan Quinn all have college coaching experience and might be on the radar of some college team that comes open
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Thu 4 Dec 2014 - 12:00

Harbaugh is obviously on the radar for Michigan. Word on the Michigan board from an insider who isn't prone to making things up, is they are making a big play for him, including possibly talking to the niners directly about some form of compensation (probably to get the niners to release him from contract, allow the niners to not pay him his next year salary, etc), although no one knows what exactly is being discussed and if Harbaugh has made a decision whether he wants to remain in the pros or go back to college. one of the main guys running the board is a shade on the optimistic side while the other is a shade on the pessimistic side. the ball is in Harbaugh's court, although the word that nfl teams may be willing to give him more control may sway him to stay in the nfl.

another poster who seems legit claims he has a friend who is good friends with Neil Glatt (jets president) who said the jets are VERY interested in Harbaugh and would be interested in talking turkey with the niners. i don't know this poster much and don't necessarily put the same level of credence to this post (a friend of a friend) as I do the two insiders i referenced before. but just throwing it out there as a fwiw.

in a list of non-Harbaugh candidates, one of the insiders included Pep Hamilton, although I would think Hamilton will be a hot pro candidate, so I can't see him taking a college job if he has a good shot at a pro job.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Thu 4 Dec 2014 - 12:47

Oregon State coach Mike Riley hired by Nebraska. Good coach, former NFL Head Coach. Former Bama player. Again, seems like a minimal impact on Jets likely search, unless the Oregon State job is sexy enough for Quinn, Bevell, or Hamilton
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 9:52

so the latest scuttlebutt from the Michigan board (all subject to change of course) and how it could impact the Jets is as follows:

Plan A - get Jim Harbaugh. period. Michigan has made its case, including possibly the AD having met personally with Jim. pretty much all of the fighting Michigan factions are behind Jimmay coming home. the job is his if he wants it...question is will he want it. probably nothing will happen till the niners season ends (if not officially, then perhaps after they are eliminated from the playoffs - let's go Raiders!!!)

Plans B, C, D... - if Harbaugh says no:

there is a camp that wants Les Miles. the thinking is Les would jump at the opportunity to come back. but there are factions that are hellbent on keeping Les away. not sure if Les' SEC-style recruiting and "student-athlete" he had in LSU will fly with new Michigan President (stressing academics for student-athletes). no one knows what the new AD thinks of Les (I believe they may have been teammates under Bo).

if not Les (as plan B to Harbaugh saying no), it sounds like Michigan will go big game fishing and not take a lesser known coach like McElwein or a coach with a so-so track record like Reilly. names that have been prominently mentioned as the non-Harbaugh, non-Miles candidate are Jim Mora Jr and Bob Stoops.

so what this means for the Jets - the Michigan job can cause a subsequent vacancy at either the niners or another prominent college like LSU, UCLA or Oklahoma. so the coaching musical chairs game may continue. also, I don't know if Mora Jr had thoughts of returning to the nfl, but his coaching star is rising and I think he'd have ties to Idzik (not sure if they overlapped in Seattle) .
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 10:09

Mora is an intriguing possibility
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 10:47

hobson54 wrote:so the latest scuttlebutt from the Michigan board (all subject to change of course) and how it could impact the Jets is as follows:

Plan A - get Jim Harbaugh.  period.  Michigan has made its case, including possibly the AD having met personally with Jim.  pretty much all of the fighting Michigan factions are behind Jimmay coming home.  the job is his if he wants it...question is will he want it.  probably nothing will happen till the niners season ends (if not officially, then perhaps after they are eliminated from the playoffs - let's go Raiders!!!)

Plans B, C, D... - if Harbaugh says no:

there is a camp that wants Les Miles.  the thinking is Les would jump at the opportunity to come back.  but there are factions that are hellbent on keeping Les away.  not sure if Les' SEC-style recruiting and "student-athlete" he had in LSU will fly with new Michigan President (stressing academics for student-athletes).  no one knows what the new AD thinks of Les (I believe they may have been teammates under Bo).  

if not Les (as plan B to Harbaugh saying no), it sounds like Michigan will go big game fishing and not take a lesser known coach like McElwein or a coach with a so-so track record like Reilly.  names that have been prominently mentioned as the non-Harbaugh, non-Miles candidate are Jim Mora Jr and Bob Stoops.

so what this means for the Jets - the Michigan job can cause a subsequent vacancy at either the niners or another prominent college like LSU, UCLA or Oklahoma.  so the coaching musical chairs game may continue.  also, I don't know if Mora Jr had thoughts of returning to the nfl, but his coaching star is rising and I think he'd have ties to Idzik (not sure if they overlapped in Seattle) .

Mora Jr was in Seattle 2007-2009
    Idzik - 2007-2012
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 11:00

Damn....now I have to put Mora on the odds list.....messing up my spreadsheet
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 11:10

Hobson, Do you think Urban Meyer / Ohio St. is keeping a top coach like Harbaugh from joining Michigan. One of Michigan's top goals / requirements, is to beat Ohio St.. Not sure if that happens with Urban Meyer in the same conference ?

Go Jets...Cyborg
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 11:28

cysporsche wrote:Hobson,  Do you think Urban Meyer / Ohio St. is keeping a top coach like Harbaugh from joining Michigan. One of Michigan's top goals / requirements, is to beat Ohio St.. Not sure if that happens with Urban Meyer in the same conference ?

Go Jets...Cyborg

no, i don't think the presence of urban meyer is keeping harbaugh, or anyone, away from michigan. certainly not harbaugh, who is as competitive as any and hates ohio state with a passion. for harbaugh, it's simply (well simple for us, not for him) does he want to return to his alma mater and the college game, and bring the program back to national prominence (a dream of his is to win a national championship at michigan) or stay in the nfl and chase a super bowl (also a dream of his), preferably with a team willing to give him more power (GM, or quasi-GM duties).

if you want to coach at the top of college football, you will have to go against the big boys. i can't see anyone turning town a major program because they are afraid of competition. and if they are, i don't want them anywhere near the sidelines of my team.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 11:38

Updated Odds

Coach...................................Nov 25.....Dec 5

Darrell Bevell (Seattle OC).........8-1..............8-1
    Pep Hamilton (Indy OC)............9-1...............9.5-1
    Dan Quinn (Seattle DC)...........10-1..............10.5-1
    Todd Bowles (Arizona DC)........11-1..............11-1
    Adam Gase (Denver OC)..........12-1..............12-1
    Jim Mora (UCLA) ....................OFF...............23-1
    Jim Harbaugh (49ers HC) ........OFF...............25-1
    Greg Roman (SF OC)...............14-1..............26-1
    Gary Kubiak (Balitmore OC)......25-1 .............28-1
    Jack Del Rio (Denver DC) ........26-1 ..............28-1
    Hue Jackson (Cinnanati OC)......28-1 .............29-1
    Vic Fangio (SF DC)   ................28-1............. 31-1
    Rob Chudzinski (Ex Browns)......30-1 .............32-1
    Art Briles (Baylor) ...................30-1 .............35-1
    OTHER................................ ..30-1 .............35-1
    Kevin Sumlin (TAMU)...............32-1 .............38-1
    Dave Toub (KC ST)  ................35-1............. 39-1
    Sean McDermott (Carolina DC) .40-1 ............44-1
    Jim Tomsula (SF ST)............... 47-1 .............45-1
    Frank Reich (San Diego OC)......50 -1.............55-1
    Brian Billick (Ex Ravens) ..........61-1 ............78-1
    Greg Schiano (Ex Rutgers) .......63-1 ............78-1
    Lane Kiffin (Ex Raiders)  .........100-1............ 90-1
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 11:45

hobson54 wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:Hobson,  Do you think Urban Meyer / Ohio St. is keeping a top coach like Harbaugh from joining Michigan. One of Michigan's top goals / requirements, is to beat Ohio St.. Not sure if that happens with Urban Meyer in the same conference ?

Go Jets...Cyborg

no, i don't think the presence of urban meyer is keeping harbaugh, or anyone, away from michigan.  certainly not harbaugh, who is as competitive as any and hates ohio state with a passion.  for harbaugh, it's simply (well simple for us, not for him) does he want to return to his alma mater and the college game, and bring the program back to national prominence (a dream of his is to win a national championship at michigan) or stay in the nfl and chase a super bowl (also a dream of his), preferably with a team willing to give him more power (GM, or quasi-GM duties).

if you want to coach at the top of college football, you will have to go against the big boys.  i can't see anyone turning town a major program because they are afraid of competition.  and if they are, i don't want them anywhere near the sidelines of my team.

After how he approached Arians this year and Shwartz last year for teh handshakes...I dont think he's scared of anyone...
    jetfandreamer
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by jetfandreamer Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 22:27

SackExchange wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:if brian kelly is the next jets coach, i may stop watching the team.  he is a giant d-bag who i would hate to have leading my favorite team.  and i think he's a bit over-rated because of all the ND hype.  last i checked, his team is 7-5, having lost 5 of the last 6 games.  and did i mention, he is a giant d-bag...

as to rich rod, very good college coach, but not made for the pros - in either style of offense or temperament.  
    Totally agree with all of this.

Rich Rod might be successful in college, but it would not translate to the pros.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT??

And Brian Kelly is reprehensible. Just an awful person. I want him nowhere near the Jets.
    HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT ? just cos he waxes Michigan  and if so...
    BILL BELICHICK IS A SCUMBAG  

REX was/is a great guy..but I dont want a GREAT guy..I want a coach that wins...

Both Brian Kelly and Rich Rod have elevated their teams wherever they may have been...you can bring in the good college coach/bad pro coach aspect  ie Spurrier, Saban,   but also there is Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, on other end....
    jetfandreamer
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by jetfandreamer Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 22:31

Sarge wrote:Updated Odds

Coach...................................Nov 25.....Dec 5

Darrell Bevell (Seattle OC).........8-1..............8-1
    Pep Hamilton (Indy OC)............9-1...............9.5-1
    Dan Quinn (Seattle DC)...........10-1..............10.5-1
    Todd Bowles (Arizona DC)........11-1..............11-1
    Adam Gase (Denver OC)..........12-1..............12-1
    Jim Mora (UCLA) ....................OFF...............23-1
    Jim Harbaugh (49ers HC) ........OFF...............25-1
    Greg Roman (SF OC)...............14-1..............26-1
    Gary Kubiak (Balitmore OC)......25-1 .............28-1
    Jack Del Rio (Denver DC) ........26-1 ..............28-1
    Hue Jackson (Cinnanati OC)......28-1 .............29-1
    Vic Fangio (SF DC)   ................28-1............. 31-1
    Rob Chudzinski (Ex Browns)......30-1 .............32-1
    Art Briles (Baylor) ...................30-1 .............35-1
    OTHER................................ ..30-1 .............35-1
    Kevin Sumlin (TAMU)...............32-1 .............38-1
    Dave Toub (KC ST)  ................35-1............. 39-1
    Sean McDermott (Carolina DC) .40-1 ............44-1
    Jim Tomsula (SF ST)............... 47-1 .............45-1
    Frank Reich (San Diego OC)......50 -1.............55-1
    Brian Billick (Ex Ravens) ..........61-1 ............78-1
    Greg Schiano (Ex Rutgers) .......63-1 ............78-1
    Lane Kiffin (Ex Raiders)  .........100-1............ 90-1

Cross off any DC's I want an offensive coach why cant the team for once get an imagination and look out of the box...
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 23:38

What about Urban Meyer, he's a very successful coach that looks ready for the NFL challenge.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 12:01

I agree that a defensive guy would be less preferable given our long history of offensive mediocrity and failure to develop a QBs. But both Quinn and Bowles are definite possibilities and with the right OC, it could work
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 12:15

cysporsche wrote:What about Urban Meyer, he's a very successful coach that looks ready for the NFL challenge.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Mabe it's my subjectivety to this, but i feel he is another Steve Spurrier or a Nick Saban. Their respective games are only good at the collegiate level. They're not innovators like a once in a while Chip Kelly.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 13:30

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:What about Urban Meyer, he's a very successful coach that looks ready for the NFL challenge.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Mabe it's my subjectivety to this, but i feel he is another Steve Spurrier or a Nick Saban.  Their respective games are only good at the collegiate level.  They're not innovators like a once in a while Chip Kelly.

Kyle Shanahan anyone? Has a real good body of work as OC under Kubiak, his father in DC and now in Cleveland.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 14:45

jetfandreamer wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:if brian kelly is the next jets coach, i may stop watching the team.  he is a giant d-bag who i would hate to have leading my favorite team.  and i think he's a bit over-rated because of all the ND hype.  last i checked, his team is 7-5, having lost 5 of the last 6 games.  and did i mention, he is a giant d-bag...

as to rich rod, very good college coach, but not made for the pros - in either style of offense or temperament.  
    Totally agree with all of this.

Rich Rod might be successful in college, but it would not translate to the pros.

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT??

And Brian Kelly is reprehensible. Just an awful person. I want him nowhere near the Jets.
    HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT ? just cos he waxes Michigan  and if so...
    BILL BELICHICK IS A SCUMBAG  

REX was/is a great guy..but I dont want a GREAT guy..I want a coach that wins...

Both Brian Kelly and Rich Rod have elevated their teams wherever they may have been...you can bring in the good college coach/bad pro coach aspect  ie Spurrier, Saban,   but also there is Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, on other end....
    The spread doesn't work in the pros as a legit offense. It's a wrinkle, not a scheme.

Another example of schemes that work well in college but not the pros would be the option game. I love the option. There are some college programs that run it to great success. Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech runs a great option. But he's not getting NFL calls, because it would not work in the NFL. Defensive ends are too quick in the NFL to run the option.

And Rich Rod's temperament would not work with pros, either.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 21:20

I wonder if Bob Stoops might be in play for NFL jobs after a disappointing season?
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 18:26

Maybe Art Briles will be ready to jump to NFL after how this season worked out and with his team sort of in a bad conference situation
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 19:29

Week 14 Jets Coach Risers and Fallers

RISERS
    Adam Gase
    Gary Kubiak
    Todd Bowles
    Dan Quinn
    Lane Kiffin
    Kevin Sumlin
    Art Briles
    Todd Haley

FALLERS
    Hue Jackson
    Vic Fangio
    Greg Roman
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 19:43

Anyone who thinks Harbaugh would be a good choice as our next HC, just take a look at the disintegration of the 49ers right now. Harbaugh is losing that locker room. Too much talent on this team to be losing badly to Oakland.

Harbaugh is too polarizing for me. But that's just me. I think Idzik should go after Quinn or Bevell.

For anyone who missed it, the Raiders lost 52-0 last week. And they just manhandled Colin K...Embarrassed.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 19:52

I think Harbaugh to Michigan is a done deal.  He's like Saban, he is better at coaching kids than men

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 9:22