Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+24
skop
soj
The Wicker Man
Old#15
LIJETFAN
HYATT™
WilliesDad
JohnnyBaseball
trico990
cysporsche
Superman55
GratefulJet
danfran
Metjetgal
SackExchange
Lakerfan1980
NCgreen12
Blindsidebrick
Atljet60
jamesfyo123
hobson54
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
football51
28 posters

Jets trade for Percy Harvin

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Jets trade for Percy Harvin - Page 8 Empty Re: Jets trade for Percy Harvin

Post by SackExchange Fri 24 Oct 2014 - 17:52

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    skop wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:Percy Harvvin, alone, isn't going to turn around the fortunes of this team. We need more consistent o-line and secondary play, too.

Just sayin'.

I don't know that anyone did say that, but a player like him can bolster the value & efficacy of the other weapons on the offense.

BTW, just suppose Ivory lines up behind Harvin in an I, and Harvin motions into the slot...I bet defenders are moving with him, and I also bet Ivory (if he gets the ball) has a lot easier of a time running between the tackles w/o a LB in his face...there's your OLine getting better.

How many first downs does a guy like that get you? my guess is quite a few...there's your secondary getting better.

I think people are setting unrealistic expectations if they think one player's presence is going to single-handedly turn around 1-6. That's
    all I'm saying. Yes, Harvin can impact the way defenses cover Decker and Kerley, and possibly force them to change their overall approach. But our o-line and secondary struggles are more the result of talent deficiencies. I'm not convinced of anything yet regarding Harvin. I like the signing, but there are still questions about him fitting in here scheme-wise, and personality-wise. The honeymoon's over. We've got to see it from Harvin. Transplanting players from one team to another is no guarantee for success.
    Most of the losses were very close, and the schedule gets much, much easier the rest of the way. Harvin won't turn it around himself, but he will help the team.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sat 25 Oct 2014 - 9:54

Superman55 wrote:Jets trade for Percy Harvin - Page 8 16162631-mmmain

If Percy's attitude can be in check, this can be a tandem for the next 6-7 years.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sat 25 Oct 2014 - 10:46

Hoping that at least one of the two remaining WR draftees (Evans and Enunwa) is a keeper. If that happens and PH is what we hope he is, then we are pretty set at WR.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sat 25 Oct 2014 - 10:55

Even with Percy Harvin, we need another stud WR. A guy like Sanu who has looked great with AJ Green going down. I would like a CB in round 1 and a true WR in the 2nd round, then LB or FS, T.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 25 Oct 2014 - 23:27

cysporsche wrote:Even with Percy Harvin, we need another stud WR. A guy like Sanu who has looked great with AJ Green going down. I would like a CB in round 1 and a true WR in the 2nd round, then LB or FS, T.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    I disagree. Decker is an ideal starter as a possession WR, a solid #2, fringe #1. Harvin is an ideal starter as a speed WR, a solid #2, fringe #1. Kerley is an ideal slot WR, a solid #3, fringe #2.

There is great balance in this WR group. And you don't need one top stud, if you have two guys who are fringe #1's. I think both Decker and Harvin are.

Great complementary WRs here.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 11:58

ESPN reporting issues in Seattle...Lynch wants out. Looks like the issues are deeper than Harvin!
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 19:23

Still like what he adds to this team and hopes he sticks next year.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 19:23

Still like what he adds to this team and hopes he sticks next year.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 19:33

Superman55 wrote:Still like what he adds to this team and hopes he sticks next year.
    I wonder if he even wants to be here after watching the turnover disaster that today's game was
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 20:38

NickSINYC wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:Still like what he adds to this team and hopes he sticks next year.
    I wonder if he even wants to be here after watching the turnover disaster that today's game was
    Not sure he has many options, though. He is under contract. If the Jets want to cut him, they can, but he can't really opt out.

He could try to force out of the deal, but with a reputation as a malcontent, it would only hurt his value on the market.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 21:26

SackExchange wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    Not sure he has many options, though. He is under contract. If the Jets want to cut him, they can, but he can't really opt out.

He could try to force out of the deal, but with a reputation as a malcontent, it would only hurt his value on the market.
    I know he is under contract and we hold all the cards there. I was only speculating because of the reputation of being a malcontent if he wants out he can make himself a nuisance.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 28 Oct 2014 - 11:16

After Vick ran into Powell on his TD run, did anyone notice the laughing frustration on Rex's face, as Percy stood there starring @ Rex ? Inside his brain Percy was thinking, OMG, I left the Super Bowl champs for this circus with the Jets !

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 2 Nov 2014 - 20:06

This trade will be one of the few aspects of this season we're glad happened (though some will call firing Rex the biggest positive aspect I think). I've always loved this trade and said so after last week and will always say so.

Great interview after today's game:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Percy-Harvin-Packs-a-Punch-in-Kansas-City/f4a480b6-e1d5-44be-81d6-e7300902b238

Percy Harvin Packs a Punch in Kansas City
    Posted 35 minutes ago

TJ Brennan
    Reporter
    Two-Game Jet Keeps Big Plays Coming with 129 Receiving Yards, 225 All-Purpose Yards

Percy Harvin had a great impact in many different ways in his second game for the Green & White despite today's 24-10 loss in Kansas City.
    “I think I’m getting the ball in space and utilizing my speed a little bit,” Harvin said. “But we didn’t get the victory so we've all got work to do.”
    Harvin caught 11 passes for 129 yards for his first 100-yard receiving game since October 2012 with Minnesota. He also had one rush for 8 yards and two kickoff returns for 88 yards to give him 225 all-purpose yards on the afternoon.
    That total is the most by a Jet since RB Thomas Jones had 227 yards in 2009 against Buffalo. And Harvin's 419 all-purpose yards in the last two games are most by a Jet in back-to-back games since Chad Morton's 454 yards in the first two games of 2002.

The receiving totals were both highs for a Jet this season. The 11 catches were the most by a Jet since Laveranues Coles had 12 in December 2006 at Minnesota. He also became the first 100-yard receiver for the Jets since Sept. 22, 2013, against Buffalo when Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill both cleared 100.
    “You see an explosive returner, and he’s an explosive receiver," head coach Rex Ryan said. "You can put him not just as a slot but as a 'Z' receiver and all those types things you can do with him. Let’s face it, the guy's an outstanding talent and that’s why we were excited to bring him here.”
    Harvin definitely gave the Jets a reason for excitement at Arrowhead Stadium. After Chiefs rookie De’Anthony Thomas returned a kick 78 yards to set up a short touchdown drive with 1:30 left in the first half, Harvin responded with a 65-yard kickoff return, the longest since RB Joe McKnight took a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown in 2012.
    “It was great blocking. It was a left return up the gut,” Harvin said. “The blockers did a heck of a job. There was a wide hole and as I got through it, the kicker slowed me up a little bit with him trying to trip me. It was a great play. My blockers did a heck of a job. It was just too bad we couldn’t capitalize on it.”

The return set up a field goal from Nick Folk to bring the Jets to within 11 at halftime. Even though that was the last score for the Jets on the afternoon, Harvin said he felt his team is playing well as a whole, but the problem lies with not capitalizing on big-play opportunities.
    “Right now, I think the offense is moving the ball pretty well. We’re just not hitting the big plays at the right time,” he said. “That was Coach Rex’s big message on offense, defense and special teams. We’re moving the ball well, defensively we’re stopping them pretty well. But it’s just when we need that clutch play, we’re missing it right now.”
    Harvin said that despite the Jets sitting at 1-8 and in the midst of an eight-game losing streak, he and his teammates have no plans to pack it in for the remaining seven games.
    “Just keep fighting. Just go back to work,” he said. “We’ll see what we did wrong, make the corrections and get back to work on Wednesday when we come back. I’ve been in this position before and all you can do is keep fighting. Play for your pride, play for your team, and just keep pushing forward.”
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 2 Nov 2014 - 20:09

Randy Lange @rlangejets
    Percy Harvin's 419 all-purpose yds vs KC & BUF are most in back-to-back games by a Jet since Chad Morton's 454 APY in 1st 2 games of 2002.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 2 Nov 2014 - 22:19

I really wanted to see him get that 108 yard kick return. Damn kicker tripped him Evil or Very Mad .
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 6:28

football51 wrote:I really wanted to see him get that 108 yard kick return. Damn kicker tripped him Evil or Very Mad .

the ref should've 'red-carded' the ex-soccer player.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 8:43

Really love we acquired our best offensive player (and maybe second best player overall after Wilkerson) for a 4th to 6th rd pick:

Rich Cimini @RichCimini
    Recently-acquired WR Percy (Potential Coup) Harvin had one of the best games of his career. #nyj
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 12:49

But he's a bum. I heard it from Cimini and Mehta.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 22:41

Harvin (11) and Decker (9) combined for 20 catches at KC.
    When was the last time two ‪#‎Jets‬ WRs combined for 20 in a game? It's been awhile...

I do think this can be a special duo and Harvin can be a 1a option some games to Decker's 1b, while it will be the opposite other games. Their targets should be cut about 8-10 targets per game by getting more Amaro targets (I think he's going to be a first down money machine in the 8-10 yard range).

We have the offensive weapons we would have all been super optimistic about if we were heading into week 1 with momentum from the off season optimism and development. I do think if we had Harvin week 1, we'd have a different record and morale right now.

I've always said I applaud this move. I don't know if anyone heard practice reports today. But harvin sliced his foot today and he says he describes this nasty injury and ends the sentence with, he's cool. No problem for this week's game. He seems real assertive and playing with a chip on his shoulder, IMO. We got a star on our hands who wants to put his name on the map again.

Can WRs Finally Ignite Jets Offense?
    Posted 4 hours ago

Randy Lange
    Editor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com
    @rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar
    Rex Thinks So After Michael Vick Found Percy Harvin & Eric Decker Frequently in KC Loss

Rex Ryan was pressed about optimistic remarks he made at his news conference today about the current Jets offense when the passing game, for instance, was ranked last in yards/game in the NFL.
    "I don't feel good about being 32nd," Ryan replied. "No, you've got to be kidding me. I can imagine what it's going to look like tomorrow up there. It'll have somebody else's name on it." That was a reference to the airplane that flew a banner over the Jets' facility during practice early in the day. (For more on Rex talking about the banner, see the archived Ryan audio news conference on our site.)
    But the head coach was being serious.
    "I felt good when we were healthy that we did some good things offensively," he said. "But I think when you added that one piece, when you added Percy [Harvin], to go with [Eric] Decker, to go with the tight ends and our backs, obviously, I just think, man, I’m not so sure I’d want to try to defend against this offense. It presents a lot of problems for you. And I feel good that our identity would be we’re able to run the football but we’re also able to put pressure on you on the outsides, I think now so more than ever."

That confidence may come from the way we moved the ball against the Chiefs. No, the O wasn't always pretty, it put up only 10 points on the Arrowhead board, and 160 of our yards came in the fourth quarter when neither team scored.
    On the other hand, Michael Vick had only his first full week as the starting QB, Percy Harvin was in his second week as a Jet, and yet despite that groaner of a first quarter, we put up 364 yards and 22 first downs overall against a top-five defense that was allowing 309 yards and 18 first downs a game.
    One element of the game plan that was very unusual for Jets offenses of recent vintage was the ball going as frequently as it did to two wide receivers, Harvin and Decker, who combined for only one TD and modest yards but also for 20 receptions on 25 targets.

When was the last time any two Jets wideouts combined for 25 targets in a game? Not since Wayne Chrebet (15) and Laveranues Coles (10) at Indianapolis in 2001.
    When was the last time any two Jets WRs combined for 20 receptions in a game? Would you believe Eddie Bell (12) and Don Maynard (9) for the 1970 Green & White?
    This is not to say it's good to have only two top targets on your team. But if this is a real development, it could at least get the kind of Rexian production out of this offense that some of us could envision before 1-8 happened.
    Decker didn't disagree when I asked him today if two top pass-catchers and a more comfortable quarterback could pull all the other good parts of this offense along for the second-half ride.

"I think we need to create more explosive plays," he said. "We haven't done that a lot throughout the year. Having Percy is definitely a benefit, and I think I'm finally getting healthy enough to where I can do more things as well.
    "So being able to utilize everyone really across the board, our tight ends, getting the running game going because Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory both have had some big runs, will balance things out. And we've got to do our part in the receivers room to make some more plays. But I think with all the offenses nowadays, you've got to have guys that can make some plays and open the lanes for the running game."
    And count Vick in on that theory as well.
    "I was very encouraged with the direction we can go in and how much we can progress," he said at his locker. "I think the thing is for us not to regress. I understand what’s ahead of us, what we can continue to do to get guys involved, and how we can kind of play off what happened last week. So I’m very excited having another opportunity, another shot, and just want to make the most of it."
    Let's put it this way: If the offense is going to start firing on all cylinders, no matter who's doing the catching and running, now is the week to do it. The Steelers defense has had some injuries and struggles but that also brings along an offense that can hang six touchdowns on you if you don't find a way to keep them off the field.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 6 Nov 2014 - 16:13

If I was GM for the minute, I probably would have not resigned Kerley. I think Harvin is a much better slant receiver in the slot than playing the X or Y on the outside. Then I would draft Amari Cooper WR. He'd become our #1 WR with Decker as # 2 with Harvin in the slot.

I like Kerley, but he seems to have regressed to me ? Not regressed like the whole Jet team, but he looks more tentative to getting hit, he used to play fearless ball.

At QB, I don't have a clue yet ? I think Winston is the Man with the brain of a child. If he grows up, he will be better than Cam Newton. Mariota scares me running around too much. I'm afraid he'd get killed in the NFL. Some good QB's later like Bryce Petty or the kid from ECU. Then pick up Mike Glennon off the street after the Buc's let him walk. And I'd have Geno, Glennon & Petty battle it.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 6 Nov 2014 - 16:34

Rich Cimini @RichCimini · 8m 8 minutes ago
    McGaughey on Harvin getting tripped on KOR: "It makes you sick. You put the work in just to see it go out w/ a trip. It screws with you."

Rich Cimini @RichCimini · 4m 4 minutes ago
    Jets STC Thomas McGaughey said Chiefs PK Cairo Santos should be fined for trip: "It ain't right, it's not fair." #nyj
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Thu 6 Nov 2014 - 17:37

I'm still of the belief that Harvin/Kerley are built for the same position and that trading Kerley pre-draft would enable Jets to better afford Harvin........and then I'd still draft Cooper.

all this is predicated on a new HC being an offensive mind wanting toys.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 6 Nov 2014 - 18:20

Seaver wrote:I'm still of the belief that Harvin/Kerley are built for the same position and that trading Kerley pre-draft would enable Jets to better afford Harvin........and then I'd still draft Cooper.  

all this is predicated on a new HC being an offensive mind wanting toys.

Well, with Kerley getting his deal shortly after the trade, that seems unlikely to me.

I Am sure Idzik looks at Seattle winning the Super Bowl with Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse at WR and feels he's all set with Decker, Harvin, and Kerley.

I wonder if he can pull in Bevelle to get these O going with Mariota.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 8 Nov 2014 - 18:52

Percy Harvin - WR - Jets
    ESPN New York reports Percy Harvin has been "fully integrated into the offense" and is expected to be a major part of this week's game plan.
    The Jets have force-fed Harvin 22 targets and five rushing attempts over the last two games. He hasn't had any issues getting acclimated in OC Marty Mornhinweg's scheme, and should continue to be the featured player on offense. Harvin is Rotoworld's No. 15 receiver for Week 10.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 1 Dec 2014 - 15:22

still waiting for consistent production. Still don't see top 2 WR in this guy. Can't run routes. Big showcase for him tonight.

Percy: can you spell renegotiate?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024 - 8:45