Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+24
skop
soj
The Wicker Man
Old#15
LIJETFAN
HYATT™
WilliesDad
JohnnyBaseball
trico990
cysporsche
Superman55
GratefulJet
danfran
Metjetgal
SackExchange
Lakerfan1980
NCgreen12
Blindsidebrick
Atljet60
jamesfyo123
hobson54
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
football51
28 posters

Jets trade for Percy Harvin

Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Jets trade for Percy Harvin - Page 10 Empty Re: Jets trade for Percy Harvin

Post by Old#15 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 12:57

Seaver wrote:let's see it again next week when he doesn't have an axe to grind in TEN.

The early word is that he may be done for the season after injuring ankle late in game.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 13:04

I think I heard the Jets are putting Harvin on I.R. with a hurt ankle ? Besides his 10 million contract, my only concern is him staying healthy.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 13:11

cysporsche wrote:I think I heard the Jets are putting Harvin on I.R. with a hurt ankle ? Besides his 10 million contract, my only concern is him staying healthy.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Clearly a risk with him, as his recent history would suggest.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 17:57

Restructure his contract... pay him 5/6 mill tops at that price I'd want him back
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 8 Dec 2014 - 18:08

lnap23 wrote:Restructure his contract... pay him 5/6 mill tops at that price I'd want him back

Could be worse to do that if you have to lock him into a gauranteed contract in the 20-30 mill range over the length of the deal.
    AFA2017
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by AFA2017 Tue 9 Dec 2014 - 5:51

I like Harvin. He gives us a new dimension to the passing game. I would love to have him at a reduced rate 4-6 million over a 3-4 yr contract (but not so much in guarantees). I just worry that he may turn into another Sanitonio Holmes given his track record.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 22:54

Will Jets keep Percy Harvin for '15?
    December, 14, 2014
    DEC 14
    11:43
    AM ET
    By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
    01COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
    After wearing out his welcome with the Seattle Seahawks, Percy Harvin has settled in with the New York Jets. Shaky quarterback play has limited his consistency (23 or fewer receiving yards in four of his six games with the team), but he's come through with a pair of 120-yard games, including 124 yards and a score last Sunday.

More importantly, he seems pleased with his role in the Jets offense.

“Percy wants one thing: He wants to be a complete receiver,” wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal told the Daily News. “He doesn't want to be a gadget guy. ... I see a happy, intense football player. He seems genuinely connected to the team.”

But will he stay connected to the Jets, literally, for 2015?

"The Jets will need Harvin much more than he’ll need them after the season," wrote Manish Mehta of the Daily News. "Although the explosive wide receiver/running back/kick returner is scheduled to make a boatload of cash next season, don’t expect him to give the Jets a financial break.

"... If the Jets aren’t willing to pony up $10.5 million in 2015 — or restructure to give him more guaranteed money over the next couple years — he’ll find a new home with a more suitable system and better quarterback.

"Why take a pay cut to play for a bad team with an unsettled quarterback situation? That isn’t going to happen."

Harvin has four years remaining on his contract, but he has no guaranteed money on the deal, so the Jets could simply cut him and move on. Furthermore, they will owe the Seahawks a fourth-round pick if they keep him. On the other hand, letting an impact receiver go would be a tough sell to fans.

How Harvin and the Jets handle things during the offseason should be an intriguing storyline.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 15 Jan 2015 - 18:28

We're going to have $50+ million in cap space with Harvin's $10.5 million figure. I know it's a lot, but we're not tied to him long term. If we redo the deal, he'll receive guaranteed money, and we could end up with a Holmes like situation. From rotoworld.

NEW YORK JETS

WR Percy Harvin
    Cap number: $10.5M
    Cap savings: $10.5M
    Cash savings: $10.5M
    Dead money: $0
    The Jets are one of three teams, along with the Dolphins and Redskins, scheduled to have two receivers in the top-20 at the position in terms of cap number for 2015. Harvin’s $10.5M hit is set to be the eighth-highest among receivers, while Eric Decker will count $6.5M. Unlike the Dolphins and Redskins, the Jets can afford it, as they have one of the better cap situations in the league. While I couldn’t see Harvin coming back with former OC Marty Mornhinweg, I do like Harvin’s outlook under new OC Chan Gailey. Gailey has done wonders with electric players like Harvin in the past. (See: Kordell Stewart and C.J. Spiller.) He knows how to get guys in space, and Harvin is that exact type player. We could see the Harvin of the Minnesota days under Gailey if he can stay healthy.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 8:00

I can't see the Jets moving on from Harvin. Most people feel he's a perfect match for what Gaily does on offense and is I for a big year. Combine what Harvin does with bring in Spiller to go with Ivory and you have to like what Gaily will try to with these weapons. I expect Harvin back on his current deal and the Jets to hold off renegotiating until they need cap room for Richardson.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 8:42

Superman55 wrote:I can't see the Jets moving on from Harvin.  Most people feel he's a perfect match for what Gaily does on offense and is I for a big year.  Combine what Harvin does with bring in Spiller to go with Ivory and you have to like what Gaily will try to with these weapons.  I expect Harvin back on his current deal and the Jets to hold off renegotiating until they need cap room for Richardson.

Assuming we keep Harvin, something I would like to see, does it make sense to invest in a premium pick on a WR like Cooper, White or Parker? A lot will depend on what we do in FA, but with Harvin's fragility and contract we could use someone to pair with Decker long term.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 8:51

Old#15 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:I can't see the Jets moving on from Harvin.  Most people feel he's a perfect match for what Gaily does on offense and is I for a big year.  Combine what Harvin does with bring in Spiller to go with Ivory and you have to like what Gaily will try to with these weapons.  I expect Harvin back on his current deal and the Jets to hold off renegotiating until they need cap room for Richardson.

Assuming we keep Harvin, something I would like to see, does it make sense to invest in a premium pick on a WR like Cooper, White or Parker? A lot will depend on what we do in FA, but with Harvin's fragility and contract we could use someone to pair with Decker long term.

Its makes it unfortunate we locked Kerley up when we did. It would have made more sense to have Harvin as our #3 and be in the market for a #1/2.

No, I dont think we go WR rd 1, unfortunately, even if I'd like White or Parker as 6'3 + WRs; however, if we go BPA, you never know.

If we really do go on a spending spree in free agency though, I think we add a OLB. There are too many out there for us not to grab 1 (Worilds, Orakpo, Houston, etc). That would likely cross OLB off the list too...which takes us back to BPA when our pick comes up.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 9:36

pass on Orakpo......that guy is hurt annually
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 17:45

Old#15 wrote:

I would absolutley love Harvin, but he is not worth top doallar for a gadget player at 10.5 million. A chunk of that cash should go to extending Mo.

I honestly would give Harvin a heavy set incentive deal. One that he "CAN" make 8.5million if he meets certain clauses in his contract. If he gets 1000 yards and 80 catches and is healthy 80% of the season.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 20:15

I doubt that Harvin would keep the team from extending Mo. There is a ton of cap room this year, and Harvin isn't guaranteed a dime long-term.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 12:49

Interesting reasoning using Macc's scouting background/valuing picks. From espnnewyork.com.

Nate Ecker @Nate_Ecker
    Follow
    @RichCimini If the jets do get an average-above average WR in free agency does that mark the end of Percy Harvin? #jetsmail

@RichCimini: Absolutely. An above-average wide receiver will fetch at least $6 million a year, so there's no way they'd pay big money to a free agent, Percy Harvin and Decker. Chances are, the Harvin decision will be made before the start of free agency. The logical move is to release him. He's a good player, but he's not worth $10.5 million and -- this is important -- a fourth-round draft pick. Right now, they owe the Seahawks a sixth-rounder, but it improves to a four if he's on the roster at a certain date. There's a considerable difference between a fourth-round pick and a sixth-rounder, and I can't see Mike Maccagnan, a former scout who treasures draft picks, signing off on the upgrade for an overpriced receiver. The Jets went 1-6 without Harvin; they went 2-6 with him. They can do better in free agency and the draft.

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 13:23

football51 wrote:Interesting reasoning using Macc's scouting background/valuing picks. From espnnewyork.com.

Nate Ecker @Nate_Ecker
    Follow
    @RichCimini If the jets do get an average-above average WR in free agency does that mark the end of Percy Harvin? #jetsmail

@RichCimini: Absolutely. An above-average wide receiver will fetch at least $6 million a year, so there's no way they'd pay big money to a free agent, Percy Harvin and Decker. Chances are, the Harvin decision will be made before the start of free agency. The logical move is to release him. He's a good player, but he's not worth $10.5 million and -- this is important -- a fourth-round draft pick. Right now, they owe the Seahawks a sixth-rounder, but it improves to a four if he's on the roster at a certain date. There's a considerable difference between a fourth-round pick and a sixth-rounder, and I can't see Mike Maccagnan, a former scout who treasures draft picks, signing off on the upgrade for an overpriced receiver. The Jets went 1-6 without Harvin; they went 2-6 with him. They can do better in free agency and the draft.

It's rare that I agree with Cimini, but this is a case where I actually do. I didn't even think about the conditional draft pick. That should factor in, too.

Harvin is a nice player, and probably would be useful in Gailey's offense, but he's not a #1. I love him once he's got the ball and some open field, but there's been some criticism about his abilities as a receiver, specifically his route running. That might be why Seattle had him doing a lot of KR duties.

10.5 million is less painful with our cap situation, but I'd still explore other options in FA.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 13:33

I had forgotten about the pick escalation, but that makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure Harvin is worth both the $10.5MM and the fourth, especially with an uncertain QB situation.

I don't mind seeing Harvin go, but if he does, there had better be a move to bring in someone who can start across from Decker, pushing Kerley to #3.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 15:40

SackExchange wrote:I had forgotten about the pick escalation, but that makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure Harvin is worth both the $10.5MM and the fourth, especially with an uncertain QB situation.

I don't mind seeing Harvin go, but if he does, there had better be a move to bring in someone who can start across from Decker, pushing Kerley to #3.

I wonder if we can cut him only give up the 6 and then at some point later try and resign him at a better contract. I would still look for another WR to sign also.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 24 Jan 2015 - 15:50

It depends on the conditions of the trade. If the deal is premised on him being on the roster as of June, it's one thing. If it's premised on him being on the roster in September, that's different.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 25 Jan 2015 - 18:06

Robert Raiola, CPA @SportsTaxMan · 30m 30 minutes ago
    Despite getting traded from #Seahawks to #Jets during season, P.Harvin(on Sea rost for 5 gms)will Mk $70,500 if Sea wins SB via @corryjoel

Robert Raiola, CPA @SportsTaxMan · 24m 24 minutes ago
    Payoff $ listed for P.Harvin is for entire playoff run. If Sea wins SB, #Seahawks players will each get $97K & total of $165K for playoffs
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 4 Feb 2015 - 14:41

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 4 Feb 2015 - 20:15

Right now, there are three options:

1. Keep Harvin, but on his current deal with no guaranteed money but a bigger annual salary.
    2. Dump Harvin and keep the fourth, only losing the sixth rounder.
    3. Restructure Harvin, giving him less of an annual cap hit but guaranteeing some of the money.

I would only do #3 if the team is incredibly aggressive, and needs the cap space to both make some big moves and extend the guys they currently have like Mo. Otherwise, I would do #1 if you don't have a contingency plan in place. If you have someone else at WR, another legit starter, then dump him.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Thu 5 Feb 2015 - 10:15

SackExchange wrote:Right now, there are three options:

1. Keep Harvin, but on his current deal with no guaranteed money but a bigger annual salary.
    3. Restructure Harvin, giving him less of an annual cap hit but guaranteeing some of the money.

I would only do #3 if the team is incredibly aggressive, and needs the cap space to both make some big moves and extend the guys they currently have like Mo. Otherwise, I would do #1 if you don't have a contingency plan in place. If you have someone else at WR, another legit starter, then dump him.

I'm looking at Harvin as a decent fallback option if the team cannot land a high quality WR in FA. If we can get a true #1, then dump Harvin. Otherwise, I'd keep Harvin on a one year or restructured deal.

Last edited by Blindsidebrick on Thu 5 Feb 2015 - 10:21; edited 1 time in total
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 5 Feb 2015 - 10:20

Blindsidebrick wrote:

I'm looking at Harvin as a decent fallback option if the team cannot land a high quality WR in FA, or somehow Amari Cooper lands in our laps at #6. If we can sign a player like Demaryius Thomas, or draft even a guy like DeVante Parker, I'd be willing to dump Harvin and lose a 6th rounder. That's over 10 million in cap relief.

But if FA comes up empty, and the Jets don't go WR in the first round, all bets are off. Bring back Harvin.

If you wait until you draft Parker or Cooper to dump harvin, we lose a 4th rounder, not a 6th rounder...

IMO, Jets will spend the first 9 days of free agency seeing if they can get Thomas or Dez Bryant...maybe Torrey Smith, if no on all 3, they keep harvin and Cooper, White, and Parker are off the table rd 1.

"The key date is March 19.

If Harvin remains on the Jets' roster after 4 p.m. on the 10th day of the league year (March 19), the Jets must give their fourth-round draft pick to the Seahawks. If the Jets release him before then, they owe the Seahawks a sixth-round choice.

The Jets were smart to make it March 19. Two reasons:

It gives them nine days to explore wide-receiver options in free agency. If they find a better player than Harvin, they can sign that player, cut Harvin and retain their fourth-round pick. The date also gives them leverage in any renegotiation talks with Harvin. If the Jets want to re-work his deal and he declines, the team can keep him until March 18, meaning he'd miss the first wave of free agency -- when the big money is doled out.

If the Jets keep Harvin on the roster beyond the deadline, it doesn't guarantee his $10.5-million base salary and it wouldn't preclude them from cutting him at a later date. But looking at it from a practical standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to dump a player after committing a fourth-round pick. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49076/jets-face-march-19-deadline-on-percy-harvin-decision
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Thu 5 Feb 2015 - 10:22

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

I'm looking at Harvin as a decent fallback option if the team cannot land a high quality WR in FA, or somehow Amari Cooper lands in our laps at #6. If we can sign a player like Demaryius Thomas, or draft even a guy like DeVante Parker, I'd be willing to dump Harvin and lose a 6th rounder. That's over 10 million in cap relief.

But if FA comes up empty, and the Jets don't go WR in the first round, all bets are off. Bring back Harvin.

If you wait until you draft Parker or Cooper to dump harvin, we lose a 4th rounder, not a 6th rounder...

IMO, Jets will spend the first 9 days of free agency seeing if they can get Thomas or Dez Bryant...maybe Torrey Smith, if no on all 3, they keep harvin and Cooper, White, and Parker are off the table rd 1.

"The key date is March 19.

If Harvin remains on the Jets' roster after 4 p.m. on the 10th day of the league year (March 19), the Jets must give their fourth-round draft pick to the Seahawks. If the Jets release him before then, they owe the Seahawks a sixth-round choice.

The Jets were smart to make it March 19. Two reasons:

It gives them nine days to explore wide-receiver options in free agency. If they find a better player than Harvin, they can sign that player, cut Harvin and retain their fourth-round pick. The date also gives them leverage in any renegotiation talks with Harvin. If the Jets want to re-work his deal and he declines, the team can keep him until March 18, meaning he'd miss the first wave of free agency -- when the big money is doled out.

If the Jets keep Harvin on the roster beyond the deadline, it doesn't guarantee his $10.5-million base salary and it wouldn't preclude them from cutting him at a later date. But looking at it from a practical standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to dump a player after committing a fourth-round pick. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49076/jets-face-march-19-deadline-on-percy-harvin-decision

Yeah, I just edited my post up above. I realized that the March date is going to get in the way of draft plans.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024 - 17:08