Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+24
skop
soj
The Wicker Man
Old#15
LIJETFAN
HYATT™
WilliesDad
JohnnyBaseball
trico990
cysporsche
Superman55
GratefulJet
danfran
Metjetgal
SackExchange
Lakerfan1980
NCgreen12
Blindsidebrick
Atljet60
jamesfyo123
hobson54
NYJETSDAN16
NickSINYC
football51
28 posters

Jets trade for Percy Harvin

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Jets trade for Percy Harvin - Page 2 Empty Re: Jets trade for Percy Harvin

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 18:22

lol, Cro and his wife must really hate playing/living in Arizona.

Lady Cro @iluvTERRICKA · 29m 29 minutes ago
    Now u use Money

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 18:24

Cliff Avril @cliffavril · 36m 36 minutes ago
    This business is crazy... Hate to see my boy @Percy_Harvin go

Leger Douzable @LegerDouzable · 3m 3 minutes ago
    Big for us.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 18:26

This came out of nowhere. I was not expecting a move of this caliber at 1-6. And with a secondary that's banged up and struggling, it's even more curious that Idzik would do this now considering our overall situation.

But I agree with the notion that Geno is going to get nine more games to prove himself. He played decently last night, and now has a game-breaking weapon to compliment Decker, Amaro, and a solid run game.

At the very least, it makes the Jets an interesting watch from here on out. They're not playoff bound, but they're undoubtedly better with Harvin.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 18:31

It's called the NY Jets syndrome.

Joe Caporoso retweeted
    Jeff Darlington @JeffDarlington · 14m 14 minutes ago
    Admittedly, it is a little odd to hear people suddenly ripping Percy Harvin when two weeks ago he was essentially drawing universal praise.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 24m 24 minutes ago
    Wondering maybe if local writers weren't so busy scripting fake conversations they'd be able to have a heads up on a move like this? Very Happy

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 42m 42 minutes ago
    What is nice - Is that even with Harvin under contract. #Jets have enough room to still bring back Wilkerson, Harrison, Kerley and do more

Joe Caporoso retweeted
    Vincent Frank @VincentFrankNFL · 51m 51 minutes ago
    Seahawks are still on the hook for over $8M in signing bonus money that the Jets can't pick up under the CBA.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 12m 12 minutes ago
    Could tap dance around all you want but when you look at what #Jets gave up and what they have to pay, no way to say this is bad deal

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 18:34

Rich Cimini @RichCimini · 3m 3 minutes ago
    Before Wk 2 at GB, I asked Rex Ryan about possibility of using 'jet sweep' vs GB, a la Percy Harvin in Wk 1. Ryan's response: cont.. #nyj

Rich Cimini @RichCimini · 2m 2 minutes ago
    Ryan on Harvin: "He's an explosive guy. I don't know if it would be as explosive as it was with Percy Harvin. He's pretty special." #nyj
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 18:37

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 2m 2 minutes ago
    So this is most talented offense #Jets ever had under Rex?
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 18:52

Former Jets scout.

Joe Bommarito @AskTheScout · 2m 2 minutes ago
    I can remember we had strong feelings and a lot of work done on Harvin and we tried to make him a Jet back then.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 18:53

im gonna be honest. This team has been in every game. Rexs defense can hang with the best of them. i have been very critical of geno. but maybe with percy's acquisition, we can make something happen.

Bills at home
    cheifs away
    pittsburg at home.

if we go 4-6 at the time of the bye week, anything is possible with the remaiming games.

there is hope.

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 19:09

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 14m 14 minutes ago
    Smear campaign is cooking out of Seattle. Let's see if it reaches DeSean Jackson levels.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 11m 11 minutes ago
    Bingo RT @SanpeteRTU: @TurnOnTheJets couldn't be more clear... They need to pay Wilson. Harvin expensive, least integral, most moveable.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 19:17

football51 wrote:Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  14m 14 minutes ago
    Smear campaign is cooking out of Seattle. Let's see if it reaches DeSean Jackson levels.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  11m 11 minutes ago
    Bingo RT @SanpeteRTU: @TurnOnTheJets couldn't be more clear... They need to pay Wilson. Harvin expensive, least integral, most moveable.

I always find it funny when a star player is traded how the fanbase resorts to scathing criticism of the player. They kick him on the way out the door, after jumping for joy when the Seahawks traded a 1st, 3rd, and 7th round draft picks for him.

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 19:26

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    football51 wrote:Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  14m 14 minutes ago

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  11m 11 minutes ago

I always find it funny when a star player is traded how the fanbase resorts to scathing criticism of the player. They kick him on the way out the door, after jumping for joy when the Seahawks traded a 1st, 3rd, and 7th round draft picks for him.

Here we go................

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI · 4m 4 minutes ago
    NOW this comes out? #cmonson RT @BlkSportsOnline: Percy Harvin Gives Golden Tate Black Eye Before Super Bowl http://bit.ly/1CyoReP

NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 19:28

Wow what a shock today. I'm not sure yet how I feel about this trade.

On one hand Harvin is explosive, still young (26), will help us win games and further help us evaluate Geno as our franchise QB. It will be interesting to watch if MM will actually use him in the right way (he has become somewhat dormant in Seattle). I've seen Kurley do that fake come around behind Geno for the possible pitch a million times and he hasn't got the ball once. Wonder if he will actually give the ball to Harvin. You would have to guess.

On the other hand why would a super bowl contender give up a supposed prize weapon unless there's something more than he's just tough to deal with. He hasn't been unbelievably productive in the pro's (never more than 6 TD's). He's also a guy who gets hurt a lot (seems to be a pattern with Idzik). Additionally, he could cost us a high 2nd rounder which if we end up needing to draft a franchise QB we might need that pick to move up the draft.

With all that I'm about 55/45 in favor but it's a we'll see. There's a part of me that feels like it's a move out of desperation.

Will be I hope fun to watch.

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 19:41

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 19:53

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 20:23

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 41m 41 minutes ago
    I'll give Idzik the benefit of the doubt on trades after watching Chris Ivory and Sheldon Richardson play for 1.5 seasons #Jets
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 20:37

The merry-go-round of media vultures are chiming in, predictably, in a negative manner. These same buffoons bashed Idzik for not spending like a drunken sailor, and now have nothing but question marks about why the Jets would add a dynamic playmaking WR/PR to a team in need of a playmaking WR/PR.

You can't win. You simply cannot win with these people.
    Lakerfan1980
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Lakerfan1980 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 21:29

Great move for the rest of the season and hopefully the future.  I for one don't want to go 3-13 or 4-12, and a healthy Harvin will change the way the offense is defended. Harvin can take those passes that Kerley gets and go the distance.  Geno must now show he can throw some touchdowns.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 22:07

This morning, all accounts were that Percy Harvin was 26 and one of the most explosive players in the NFL.

This evening, he's an old veteran troublemaker who will only add to the circus.

It's garbage how predictable this is from the media.
    Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Metjetgal Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 22:58

I'm very happy, as long as this does not turn into a 2nd rounder . It will be very interesting to see what he adds to the offense .
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 23:06

Metjetgal wrote:I'm very happy, as long as this does not turn into a 2nd rounder . It will be very interesting to see what he adds to the offense .
    If it turns into a second, it means Harvin panned out and he's here to stay. That would negate the need to use a top pick on another WR.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 23:08

Metjetgal wrote:I'm very happy, as long as this does not turn into a 2nd rounder . It will be very interesting to see what he adds to the offense .

Consider ourselves lucky if it's a 2nd rounder, because it's only a 2nd rounder if he achieves specific goals. In other words, stays healthy and very productive.

The media won't give Idzik credit for this, but it's actually a great deal for the Jets. Low risk, high potential reward. But don't tell Cannizarro, Cimini, Mehta, or anyone else who enjoys bashing the team that. It disrupts the narrative.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 23:15

Mehta and Cimini have been particularly...well, they've been their usual anti-Jets troll selves.
    danfran
    danfran
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by danfran Sat 18 Oct 2014 - 8:07

NCgreen12 wrote:Wow what a shock today. I'm not sure yet how I feel about this trade.

On one hand Harvin is explosive, still young (26), will help us win games and further help us evaluate Geno as our franchise QB. It will be interesting to watch if MM will actually use him in the right way (he has become somewhat dormant in Seattle). I've seen Kurley do that fake come around behind Geno for the possible pitch a million times and he hasn't got the ball once. Wonder if he will actually give the ball to Harvin. You would have to guess.  

On the other hand why would a super bowl contender give up a supposed prize weapon unless there's something more than he's just tough to deal with. He hasn't been unbelievably productive in the pro's (never more than 6 TD's). He's also a guy who gets hurt a lot (seems to be a pattern with Idzik). Additionally, he could cost us a high 2nd rounder which if we end up needing to draft a franchise QB we might need that pick to move up the draft.

With all that I'm about 55/45 in favor but it's a we'll see. There's a part of me that feels like it's a move out of desperation.

Will be I hope fun to watch.    

This pretty much covers it for me. Still, it's a no brainer for the pick and what they are on the hook for. You have to ask yourself though how is a guy who by reports is difficult going to react to going from a super bowl contender to a doormat.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sat 18 Oct 2014 - 8:16

SackExchange wrote:
    If it turns into a second, it means Harvin panned out and he's here to stay. That would negate the need to use a top pick on another WR.

Is that what the terms are? Do you know that it's performance-based, as opposed to simple roster status on a calendar date?
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sat 18 Oct 2014 - 9:36

While it's great to see the team add a clearly superior talent to an area sorely lacking in such, it really is a shame they waited until mid-season to make that move. Since we're 1-6, it is highly unlikely that this transaction, unless also accompanied by similar infusions of talent at CB, will result in a playoff berth. What it can do is improve the team's overall record, so that in addition to costing us whatever draft pick compensation the deal stipulates, it will also cost us draft position in 2015. One could argue that the value lost there (picking say 15th, versus 3rd-5th) will be potentially far greater when you consider the cost of trading from 15th to 3rd or even 5th in the first round of the draft.

I cannot imagine that this calculus was not performed by John Idzik, who after all was a math major at Duke. Therefore, the fact he completed this transaction anyway tells me he did so under intense pressure internally (since we know he is unswayed by external pressure from the media, etc.) In all honesty, the trajectory of the team this year, combined with the comments from Rex and various players, was beginning to cast a very poor light on the job Idzik did. Rex, for all his failings as a HC, had already gotten credit for squeezing a 8-8 record from the team last year, so the fact we'd fallen to 1-6 really spoke to the job Idzik did with personnel.

I have a feeling Woody was leaning pretty hard on Idzik. The stuff coming out about Harvin in the press now makes this deal make a lot of sense for both sides. It's not just Mehta and Cimini writing these stories about the locker room fights and stuff. Harvin was a problem there, and they also had another problem with respect to the salary cap, and he wasn't productive anyway, so no big loss on the field. The fact he was becoming a cancer in the Seattle locker room is a risk factor for us, however. The guy has now been traded twice despite his undeniable talent, this last time despite the fact the Seahawks are 29th in total offense this year and desperately need production.

That isn't to say he won't be a big addition to the field for the Jets, who had no homerun threat on offense and as a result teams have been crowding the box and overplaying the short pass. The truth is, though, that everyone knew we lacked that threat last year, and the fact is it was relatively ignored throughout the draft process (unless you consider 165 lb Jalen Saunders a legit HR threat) and free agency (Decker is many things but a speed freak isn't one of them). So why wait till now? Sure, Harvin was apparently not available during the off-season (one assumes Idzik has an open line of communication with Schneider), but other players were available (like Tate, for example, or DeSean Jackson) and we did not pursue any of them despite an abundance of cap space. MM will now have to integrate Harvin into the offense mid-season. It could be pretty awkward at first, since he doesn't know the playbook. Honestly, it will take a few weeks before he can do anything beyond plain vanilla out there. So how much of a contribution can we realistically expect in the short-term? Maybe the draft pick compensation is tied to on-field production and post-season appearances, in which case we can lower the cost of acquisition by burying him in the depth chart for a few weeks while he learns the playbook. That scenario also has less impact on our draft position in 2015.

So I have mixed emotions. On one hand, the offense can't get much worse, and on the other, what difference does it make now from a playoff possibility perspective? It's hard to think about this and avoid the notion that there was a certain amount of desperation involved, from a job security and/or PR standpoint. It certainly has the potential to negatively impact the one silver lining to this absolute abortion of a season--a high-value draft position in 2015. If this is managed correctly to improve the team in the long-term, then well done--I'm just hoping the short-term impact doesn't negate that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024 - 14:42