Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+25
NCgreen12
AFA2017
hobson54
GratefulJet
Superman55
HYATT™
danfran
JohnnyBaseball
McJet
soj
football51
LIJETFAN
WilliesDad
DonMaynard
cysporsche
Metjetgal
Old#15
Sarge
jetkwondo
skop
NickSINYC
Seaver
NYJETSDAN16
The Wicker Man
SackExchange
29 posters

Idzik's state of the team

Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Idzik's state of the team - Page 9 Empty Re: Idzik's state of the team

Post by Old#15 Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 20:26

Superman55 wrote:Brian Costello @BrianCoz
    Jets 5th round pick LB Jeremiah George played 10 snaps for the Jaguars on Sunday. He made 3 tackles, one for a loss. #nyj

Probably not big and slow enough to fit Rex's scheme, but I guess AJ Edds was. Mad
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 7:10

LIJETFAN wrote:If you give Jet fans a plan they can believe in, and they trust in the person executing the plan then I believe they will be patient.  I am all for continuity and stability.  But continuity and stability comes from making great decisions, gaining credibility and having success.  Right now, are you confident that Idzik makes great decisions, has a credible plan, is executing his plan well, and is having success?  Or is the reverse true?  At 1-8, it is very hard to see great decisions, a credible plan, good execution and success.  Maybe I'm blind, but I just don't see it.  So again, I ask on what basis should any of us be patient?  For the sake of continuity and stability? That's a poor way to run a business in my opinion.    

To expand on this line of thinking: as undesirable as it is to reboot after less than 2 years, it is even worse to reflexively give someone 4-5 years no matter what. If that person has demonstrated rank incompetence (and I'm not saying Idzik necessarily has, but the state of the secondary is pretty bad and speaks for itself), why would you insist on exposing your team to that incompetence for another 2.5 years?

So while continuity is obviously a goal, it is hardly an end in itself. It has to be supported by a constant evaluation process. You need to be able to tell the difference between a good team that got unlucky and a bad team that is what its record says it is. Did we have injuries to two of our CBs? Sure. Was there depth at that position in case of injury (injuries at CB are not unheard of, especially for Milliner and McDougle)? Obviously not. Did Idzik do a good job of manning that position in the off-season? Obviously not. Learning experience? Perhaps. No one's perfect. If we give him another chance, have to manage the risk that he does not learn from his mistakes. He's a smart guy. That's essentially what you're betting on if you keep him. That he will learn and get better.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 10:22

Grateful Jet, good post. My only comment would be that the Jets GM position should not be a training-ground for Idzik to learn as he goes. Like I said earlier, I want the GM that gets it right from the start. As a fan, I don't want the GM that gets its wrong, makes mistakes, watches a season go down the tubes, and then tries to right the ship after the fact. It's too late at that point. The franchise gets set back another 2 or 3 years because the GM needs to start over and reboot. So the question is, do you reboot with the guy you have hoping that he figures it out, or do you start fresh? My opinion is start fresh. Go find the guy that gets it right the first time, not the guy has a chance of getting it right, maybe.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 10:24

In Sunday's Daily News, Gary Meyers suggested that Woody consult with Polian, Parcells, and Wolf to select a new gm, and allow them to HELP this new gm select a coach. Two things..... one, when Woody purchased the Jets, he offered Parcells a blank check to stay and coach/gm. Parcells declined to coach, but he stayed on as gm in 2000. Then, he recommended Bradway for the gm job in 2001. Woody hired him. How did that turn out? Polian, sat in on the gm meetings last year, and gave his approval of Idzik. Originally, Gamble looked like the favorite for the job until he came across clueless with the salary cap. So, I guess Woody should try Wolf next. Maybe he's got the right guy in mind. Secondly, if the new gm needs "help" selecting the coach, is he really the right guy for the job?

I don't believe Idzik should be fired. As I've said, I have no idea if he'll ultimately prove to be the right guy or not. However, even with the remaining holes on the roster, we're better than a one win team. I agree with Nick..... that's on Rex. I don't feel that 1.5 seasons is enough time to properly evaluate Idzik especially when a major part of his program isn't in place(his coach). Now, having said that, I feel that Woody is going to fire everyone which I don't agree with. The media types who've made this personal with Idzik(and who try to incite the fan base every chance they get) and the extreme fans who've started the fire Idzik website(they've made it clear that they won't stop until he's gone, and the Daily News will help them get their message out) will force Woody to think he needs to take action. He won't wan't the constant public attacks. I hope people realize that Idzik, Rex and staff, and most likely Graves, will be gone. Bradway and Bauer aren't going anywhere until after the 2015 draft which means that the new gm won't have his scouts in place until the 2016 offseason. FYI, Gamble and Bradway are very good friends. Bradway has friends all over the league and is well respected. As I said above, Parcells was the one who brought him here. There's no guarantee that the new gm will fire him either. How long does the new guy get if things don't turn around instantly? Like Sack and Nick mentioned above, I don't want this team to be run like the Redskins. I don't want to spend cap money on players whose best years are behind them just because they have a big name. I want to be able to not only retain Wilkerson, but retain Richardson when he's due for a new deal. Appeasing hysterical fans with splashy signings could derail that. This isn't baseball. With a salary cap, there are consequences. We're not winning a Super Bowl(or getting to one) until we can draft and develop a qb. Signing a big name cb or two isn't going to change that.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 10:52

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  1m 1 minute ago
    Better news: http://bit.ly/1yUh1Mn  RT @ESPNNewYork: #Jets fans raised $10K for a billboard urging the firing of GM  http://es.pn/10f6JK9

Joe Caporoso retweeted
    Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73 · 15h 15 hours ago
    Some #Jets fans taking a different approach than a billboard to fire the GM. They're donating to Feeding America: http://turnonthejets.com/2014/11/turn-jets-lets-eat-campaign/

Joe Caporoso retweeted
    Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI · 15h 15 hours ago
    For #Jets fans who aren't feeling the billboard idea, here's another option this holiday season, via @TurnOnTheJets http://turnonthejets.com/2014/11/turn-jets-lets-eat-campaign/

No retweets from Mehta, Cimini, or Costello? Shocking Rolling Eyes .
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 11:03

Wow Shocked

Joe Caporoso retweeted
    Rich Cimini @RichCimini · 1d 1 day ago
    Fans complain about PSLs, ticket prices, justifiably so, but they spend money for a billboard to get a man fired? Gimme a break. Sad. #nyj

soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 16:04

football51 wrote:In Sunday's Daily News, Gary Meyers suggested that Woody consult with Polian, Parcells, and Wolf to select a new gm, and allow them to HELP this new gm select a coach. Two things..... one, when Woody purchased the Jets, he offered Parcells a blank check to stay and coach/gm. Parcells declined to coach, but he stayed on as gm in 2000. Then, he recommended Bradway for the gm job in 2001. Woody hired him. How did that turn out? Polian, sat in on the gm meetings last year, and gave his approval of Idzik. Originally, Gamble looked like the favorite for the job until he came across clueless with the salary cap. So, I guess Woody should try Wolf next. Maybe he's got the right guy in mind. Secondly, if the new gm needs "help" selecting the coach, is he really the right guy for the job?

I don't believe Idzik should be fired. As I've said, I have no idea if he'll ultimately prove to be the right guy or not. However, even with the remaining holes on the roster, we're better than a one win team. I agree with Nick..... that's on Rex. I don't feel that 1.5 seasons is enough time to properly evaluate Idzik especially when  a major part of his program isn't in place(his coach). Now, having said that, I feel that Woody is going to fire everyone which I don't agree with. The media types who've made this personal with Idzik(and who try to incite the fan base every chance they get) and the extreme fans who've started the fire Idzik website(they've made it clear that they won't stop until he's gone, and the Daily News will help them get their message out) will force Woody to think he needs to take action. He won't wan't the constant public attacks. I hope people realize that Idzik, Rex and staff, and most likely Graves, will be gone. Bradway and Bauer aren't going anywhere until after the 2015 draft which means that the new gm won't have his scouts in place until the 2016 offseason. FYI, Gamble and Bradway are very good friends. Bradway has friends all over the league and is well respected. As I said above, Parcells was the one who brought him here. There's no guarantee that the new gm will fire him either. How long does the new guy get if things don't turn around instantly? Like Sack and Nick mentioned above, I don't want this team to be run like the Redskins. I don't want to spend cap money on players whose best years are behind them just because they have a big name. I want to be able to not only retain Wilkerson, but retain Richardson when he's due for a new deal. Appeasing hysterical fans with splashy signings could derail that. This isn't baseball. With a salary cap, there are consequences. We're not winning a Super Bowl(or getting to one) until we can draft and develop a qb. Signing a big name cb or two isn't going to change that.

Just to add fuel to the fire ...

P a g e
    There was an abundance of wide receivers in the draft who could have helped the Jets, but Idzik drafted
    Jalen Saunders (already an ex jet) and Shaq Evans (on IR) in the fourth round and Quincy Enunwa (practice
    squad) in the sixth round.
    Now read this and weep, Jets fans

a list of rookie wide receivers making an impact this season:
    Sammy Watkins (Bills): 38 catches, 590 yards, five TDs
    Mike Evans (Bucs): 32 catches, 460 yards, four TDs
    Odell Beckham Jr. (Giants): 10 catches, 106 yards, three TDs
    Kelvin Benjamin (Panthers): 40 catches, 589 yards, five TDs
    Brandin Cooks (Saints): 43 catches, 470 yards, two TDs
    Jordan Matthews (Eagles): 32 catches, 313 yards, three TDs
    Donte Moncrief (Colts): 16 catches, 216 yards, one TD
    John Brown (Cardinals): 24 catches, 326 yards, four TDs
    Allen Robinson (Jaguars): 43 catches, 488 yards, two TDs
    Jarvis Landry (Dolphins): 30 catches, 301 yards, three TDs
    Martavis Bryant (Steelers): 10 catches, 107 yards, five TDs
    Davante Adams (Packers): 24 catches, 263 yards, two
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 16:12

This was the deepest WR draft in recent memory and Idzik definitely bungled it.  We didn't have a shot at Watkins, Evans or Beckham, but everyone else was in play.  If the Jets liked Beckham enough they had the ammo to move up and get him.  They chose to stand pat and passed on most of these guys.  It was bizarre.  I get the Amaro pick, and that's fine. But they had plenty of chances to pick up some really good WRs throughout the draft.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 16:18

I remember putting together a list of 15 or so WRs and trying to figure out which two the Jets would take. Was astounded when Idzik passed on ALL of them. Such a missed opportunity to add a talented WR to the fold. Greatest WR draft in history, and we pretty much missed the whole thing despite having a crying need.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 17:37

GratefulJet wrote:I remember putting together a list of 15 or so WRs and trying to figure out which two the Jets would take. Was astounded when Idzik passed on ALL of them. Such a missed opportunity to add a talented WR to the fold. Greatest WR draft in history, and we pretty much missed the whole thing despite having a crying need.

And in a few years when we are review drafts again this one just for the lack of picking a WR will go down with picking Golsten (spelling).
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 18:00

LIJETFAN wrote:This was the deepest WR draft in recent memory and Idzik definitely bungled it.  We didn't have a shot at Watkins, Evans or Beckham, but everyone else was in play.  If the Jets liked Beckham enough they had the ammo to move up and get him.  They chose to stand pat and passed on most of these guys.  It was bizarre.  I get the Amaro pick, and that's fine. But they had plenty of chances to pick up some really good WRs throughout the draft.

They sure did have the ammo...like our 4th and 5th rd picks...both of which are already released and on other teams. George on the Jags and Saunders on Seattle...

Some of my farts would have drafted better than we did last year...
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 9:34

All those receivers mentioned have QB's throwing to them. The Jets benched their starting QB, and are struggling with their backup. Having a stable QB situation helps any WR.

And let's not act like Idzik ignored the receiver position, especially if you consider TE a receiver. Decker, Amaro, and Percy Harvin (when the situation arose).  Throw in Kerley. Is WR an area of need? The arguments about misjudging the CB position have some merit. Trying to take this argument to WR, less so.

Enumwa and Evans are still unknowns. Both or either could be factors next season. Assuming we have a good QB throwing to them.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 12:05

Blindsidebrick wrote:All those receivers mentioned have QB's throwing to them. The Jets benched their starting QB, and are struggling with their backup. Having a stable QB situation helps any WR.

And let's not act like Idzik ignored the receiver position, especially if you consider TE a receiver. Decker, Amaro, and Percy Harvin (when the situation arose).  Throw in Kerley. Is WR an area of need? The arguments about misjudging the CB position have some merit. Trying to take this argument to WR, less so.

Enumwa and Evans are still unknowns. Both or either could be factors next season. Assuming we have a good QB throwing to them.

you might be reaching...........Evans wasn't impressing before he got hurt - he was slower than they thought.

What we have is a GM who knows the numbers. He has yet to demonstrate he knows actual talent. Even with Harvin, he has NFL track record to go on. That was Tannenbaum's limitation. He could sign a free agent with the best of them because said player was proven. What he couldn't do was identify the right talent coming out of college. I have that fear with Idzik and would prefer to go with a football mind and start anew.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 12:28

I know 2 things for sure about the Jets next season:

1) Woody Johnson will still be the owner.

2) John Idzik will be back as our GM.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 13:08

Blindsidebrick wrote:All those receivers mentioned have QB's throwing to them. The Jets benched their starting QB, and are struggling with their backup. Having a stable QB situation helps any WR.

Except a TE is not a WR. It is a TE.

When we went into the draft, we had Decker, Kerley, and a bunch of JAGs. Now we have Decker, Kerley, Harvin and a bunch of JAGs. Who is our #4? Who is our deep threat? We have no depth at the position, and we don't have a true HR hitter aside from Harvin, who you can't include in a conversation about the 2014 draft. We'll hve to agree to disagree. This is an area where supply and demand met, and we waited till the 4th round to address the position, and then cut the first guy we did draft. There's simply no way to spin that as a job well done, sorry.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 13:24

GratefulJet wrote:

When we went into the draft, we had Decker, Kerley, and a bunch of JAGs. Now we have Decker, Kerley, Harvin and a bunch of JAGs. Who is our #4? Who is our deep threat? We have no depth at the position, and we don't have a true HR hitter aside from Harvin, who you can't include in a conversation about the 2014 draft. We'll hve to agree to disagree. This is an area where supply and demand met, and we waited till the 4th round to address the position, and then cut the first guy we did draft. There's simply no way to spin that as a job well done, sorry.

Agreed.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 13:27

cysporsche wrote:I know 2 things for sure about the Jets next season:

1) Woody Johnson will still be the owner.

2) John Idzik will be back as our GM.

Go Jets...Cyborg

I wouldn't bet on #2 Cy.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 13:28

GratefulJet wrote:

The team is 1-8, and you are complaining about whether there is a hole with the #4 WR? Seriously? (Most teams don't have great #4s, so Salas isn't exactly a huge hole there.)

Harvin is the deep threat. The Jets did not use a 2014 draft pick to fill that hole, they used a 2015 pick to do so.

Maybe he could have taken someone else in the draft. There were a few guys I wanted over the guys he drafted. But that doesn't make me right. Only time will tell.
    Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Metjetgal Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 13:32

Supposedly a Fire Idzik banner was flown around via plane. So embarrassing. Overachieving last year may have really hurt us. What a disaster yr in every way.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 13:34

SackExchange wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:

The team is 1-8, and you are complaining about whether there is a hole with the #4 WR? Seriously? (Most teams don't have great #4s, so Salas isn't exactly a huge hole there.)

Harvin is the deep threat. The Jets did not use a 2014 draft pick to fill that hole, they used a 2015 pick to do so.

Maybe he could have taken someone else in the draft. There were a few guys I wanted over the guys he drafted. But that doesn't make me right. Only time will tell.

Now that we have Harvin, agreed. I thought he meant at the time of the draft in April 2014.

Having already cut our 4th and 5th rd draft picks...kind of makes me wish we packaged some picks and moved up or down in the draft...or drafted Ellington rd 4 (went 2 picks after Saunders) or packaged some picks to get their WR.

I also love the Amaro pick, but he's not a WR. Now we have Harvin, WR need is less than at the time those decisions were made last April.

It would have been nice to have a WR in the bush with those 4th and 5th rd picks playing on other teams today to help as a deep threat or in other useful receiving areas, IMO.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 13:38

Metjetgal wrote:Supposedly a Fire Idzik banner was flown around via plane. So embarrassing. Overachieving last year may have really hurt us. What a disaster yr in every way.

Idzik's state of the team - Page 9 B1saaumIcAA9XPF
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 13:39

I am in agreement that the wealth of draft picks could have allowed for maneuverability within the draft to take the WR of choice, assuming they found a dance partner.

I guess the question is, if the Jets had holes at WR, TE, S, and CB, and it was a WR-heavy draft, do you take the WR early? I would argue no, because you are more likely to have someone good at that position later. So they went S and TE early.

It also could be that they had Evans and Saunders as high as some other guys, like Ellington (who I know you liked) and Bryant (who I liked). Saunders was an awful pick, and Idzik deserves to be bashed for it. We don't know yet about Evans.

You can judge Idzik now if your criterion is whether he did what you would have done. If your criterion is whether he made the right moves, the jury is still out on some of those picks.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 13:41

Metjetgal wrote:Supposedly a Fire Idzik banner was flown around via plane. So embarrassing. Overachieving last year may have really hurt us. What a disaster yr in every way.
    The entire fan base looks like buffoons because we are calling for the head of a guy who has been here for less than two years.

The guy who has been here for almost six? Well, he seems like a good guy, friendly, has a great personality. I'd like to have a beer with him. So let's not put up any billboards about firing him.

I love this team, but I really hate this fan base.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 13:49

SackExchange wrote:
    The entire fan base looks like buffoons because we are calling for the head of a guy who has been here for less than two years.

The guy who has been here for almost six? Well, he seems like a good guy, friendly, has a great personality. I'd like to have a beer with him. So let's not put up any billboards about firing him.

I love this team, but I really hate this fan base.

If I'm a legit GM candidate and I'm looking at an opening with the Jets, it isn't so much the risk that I might get canned after 1.5 years that gives me pause, it's the fans flying banners demanding I get canned after 1.5 years. Who's next? The Director of Pro Player Personnel? Unreal.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 14:04

SackExchange wrote:I am in agreement that the wealth of draft picks could have allowed for maneuverability within the draft to take the WR of choice, assuming they found a dance partner.

I guess the question is, if the Jets had holes at WR, TE, S, and CB, and it was a WR-heavy draft, do you take the WR early? I would argue no, because you are more likely to have someone good at that position later. So they went S and TE early.

It also could be that they had Evans and Saunders as high as some other guys, like Ellington (who I know you liked) and Bryant (who I liked). Saunders was an awful pick, and Idzik deserves to be bashed for it. We don't know yet about Evans.

You can judge Idzik now if your criterion is whether he did what you would have done. If your criterion is whether he made the right moves, the jury is still out on some of those picks.

You see the above section in bold? They're the same thing. Wink Wink Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 2 May 2024 - 14:31