Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+14
lnap23
Superman55
NCgreen12
NYJETSDAN16
GratefulJet
football51
NickSINYC
Blindsidebrick
The Wicker Man
hobson54
LIJETFAN
AFA2017
Sarge
Hunter07
18 posters

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ... - Page 3 Empty Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

Post by football51 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 15:01

Adam ScheinVerified account
    ‏@AdamSchein
    Polian turns down Bills. Wanted to work with Doug Marrone. Bill Polian is a smart man. Jets need to jump on Marrone.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ... - Page 3 Empty Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

Post by NickSINYC Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 16:28

football51 wrote:

‏@AdamSchein
    Polian turns down Bills. Wanted to work with Doug Marrone. Bill Polian is a smart man. Jets need to jump on Marrone.

Lets see Polian loves Marrone. Casserly loves him. Mehta and the Daily News hacks think he sucks. Hmmmmm what should we do?
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 17:41

Memo to the NY Daily News.

Joe Caporoso
    ‏@TurnOnTheJets
    Reminder, you can discuss Doug Marrone as a HC candidate without referring to him as Parcells or Kotite. There is an in-between.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 17:56

football51 wrote:

‏@AdamSchein

When I first heard Marrone left, the first thing I did was Google all the articles to read what happened. It appeared to me all new management and owners and he may not be comfortable with the direction.

However, I looked at it like I was a Bills fan and thought, if I could trade Marrone for Polian, where do I sign up?

Now the bills have lost Marrone and Polian in a span of 3 days...now they know how Jets fans feel when we lost Parcells and Belichik in the same span.

Hopefully, we'll have the same results with Marrone if we hire him as the team has that stole Belichik from us.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 19:26

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 19:34

The list of people I respect that are high on Marrone is impressive. The majority of people that are down on him are people I have little respect for even before Marrone became available.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 19:37

NickSINYC wrote:The list of people I respect that are high on Marrone is impressive. The majority of people that are down on him are people I have little respect for even before Marrone became available.

Well said. Very true.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 19:46

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 19:54

Superman55 wrote:Another interesting Buffalo perspective from someone who seems unbiased:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2015/01/01/buffalo-bills-doug-marrone-bill-polian/21165875/

The writer lost me with this..............

"Upon hearing that, Marrone's insecurity kicked in. One source said he was uncomfortable about the prospect of a new football czar being hired to oversee the operation."

Polian was going to be the football "czar" coming in and he and Marrone are very close. It was Marrone leaving that caused Polian to back out of the job.

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 20:00

Superman55 wrote:Another interesting Buffalo perspective from someone who seems unbiased:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2015/01/01/buffalo-bills-doug-marrone-bill-polian/21165875/

I have no idea how biased he is or not. I have not read anything else he as ever written about the Bills or Marrone. I don't know if you have either.

What I do know is that he is not a highly respected former NFL executive or player but a newspaper staff writer. I take anything reporters or columnists which ever he is write with a grain of salt.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 20:22

I usually have no use for Leberfeld but his is on the money here

Dan Leberfeld @jetswhispers · 8m 8 minutes ago
    The Daily News doesn't seem very keen on Marrone-to-the-Jets.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 20:27

Dan Leberfeld
    ‏@jetswhispers
    The Daily News doesn't seem very keen on Marrone-to-the-Jets.

Dan Leberfeld
    ‏@jetswhispers
    I think Mike Lupica reached a little with his column comparing the Marrone scenario to what happened in 1995.

Very true.

http://www.jetsconfidential.com/news/one-thing-that-hurts-the-jets-a-little-with-some-candidates/
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 21:01

NickSINYC wrote:

I have no idea how biased he is or not. I have not read anything else he as ever written about the Bills or Marrone. I don't know if you have either.

What I do know is that he is not a highly respected former NFL executive or player but a newspaper staff writer. I take anything reporters or columnists which ever he is write with a grain of salt.

Well, I see far less malice in this article compared to the venom and I see from our writers.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 22:15

Superman55 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:

Well, I see far less malice in this article compared to the venom and I see from our writers.

Well, it may have a little less malice, but there's still a clear bias in that article against Marrone. It may be justified, but there's a bias nonetheless. That's not to say "a highly respected former NFL executive or player" doesn't have a bias either. Just because Kevin Mawae vouches for him doesn't carry a ton of weight with me, and I'm not sure how I feel about Charlie Casserly, who comes across as a bit of a good-ole-boy's club inside networker. Just worried that you have these consultants bending Woody's ear and pushing the guys they know because...they know them. Sometimes you get a good outcome, and sometimes you just get a guy who was tight with the guys you listened to.

Also concerned about the familiarity thing with Woody. The one way in which it does feel like the Kotite situation is the parallel with having previously been in the Jets organization and Woody "remembering" him. Like that's a plus? I thought we're trying to go in a new direction here and break out of this rut we're in? Fresh ideas and approaches is how you get that and you don't get either by recycling past Jets players or coaches.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 22:32

GratefulJet wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:

Well, it may have a little less malice, but there's still a clear bias in that article against Marrone. It may be justified, but there's a bias nonetheless. That's not to say "a highly respected former NFL executive or player" doesn't have a bias either. Just because Kevin Mawae vouches for him doesn't carry a ton of weight with me, and I'm not sure how I feel about Charlie Casserly, who comes across as a bit of a good-ole-boy's club inside networker. Just worried that you have these consultants bending Woody's ear and pushing the guys they know because...they know them. Sometimes you get a good outcome, and sometimes you just get a guy who was tight with the guys you listened to.

Also concerned about the familiarity thing with Woody. The one way in which it does feel like the Kotite situation is the parallel with having previously been in the Jets organization and Woody "remembering" him. Like that's a plus? I thought we're trying to go in a new direction here and break out of this rut we're in? Fresh ideas and approaches is how you get that and you don't get either by recycling past Jets players or coaches.

Using consultants you do get the good old boys network put in to play. I mentioned that the day we 1st heard about Casserly.

The only other option Woody had would be to use a firm like Korn/Ferry. We saw how that worked out for Woody. It's water under the bridge I think Idzik was pushed out to soon but those who didn't I am sure would be upset with using them again.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 22:50

NickSINYC wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:

Using consultants you do get the good old boys network put in to play. I mentioned that the day we 1st heard about Casserly.

The only other option Woody had would be to use a firm like Korn/Ferry. We saw how that worked out for Woody. It's water under the bridge I think Idzik was pushed out to soon but those who didn't I am sure would be upset with using them again.

I figured the Korn/Ferry guys would steer Woody in the right direction. Obviously, the process was flawed. I was also glad to hear Casserly and Wolf were involved. Now I am wary of that route as well. At the end of the day, it comes down to the guy who makes the decision. The search firm, the good old boys...all any of them can do is put candidates in front of Woody and whisper in his ear, but it's Woody's call. He blew it with Idzik, just hope he gets it right this time.

Not thrilled with the way they're interviewing more coaches than GM candidates. Feels like the dog wagging the tail.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 4:46

Add Curtis Martin and Brandon Moore as ex players high on Marrone

Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae rave about Jets’ coaching favorite

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 10:32

maybe lupica and mehta should check a couple of box scores from last year when saying they would have been better off keeping rex.

43-23
    38-3

of course, if they kept rex, they would bash the jets for keeping a coach who won 4 games and missed the playoffs 4 straight years
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 10:37

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    Look at Jets list of HC candidates: Chargers OC Frank Reich, set to interview next week, makes a lot of sense. More than a lot. #ny

let's compare the coaching resumes:

Reich
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Reich

As coach:
    Indianapolis Colts (2008)
    (Offensive Coaching Staff Assistant)
    Indianapolis Colts (2009–2010)
    (Quarterbacks Coach)
    Indianapolis Colts (2011)
    (Wide Receivers Coach)
    Arizona Cardinals (2012)
    (Wide Receivers Coach)
    San Diego Chargers (2013)
    (Quarterbacks Coach)
    San Diego Chargers (2014–present)
    (Offensive Coordinator)

Marrone:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Marrone

As coach:
    Cortland State (TE) (1992)
    Coast Guard (OL) (1993)
    Northeastern (OL) (1994)
    Georgia Tech (TE) (1996)
    Georgia Tech (OL) (1997–1999)
    Georgia (OL) (2000)
    Tennessee (TE/OT) (2001)
    New York Jets (OL) (2002–2005)
    New Orleans Saints (OC) (2006–2008)
    Syracuse (2009–2012)
    Buffalo Bills (2013–2014)

so reich, with all of 1 year of coordinator experience makes a lot of sense. yet marrone, who served for 3 years as OC under perhaps the best offensive mind in the nfl, and has 6 years of head coaching experience is a stupid candidate

got it.... Rolling Eyes
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 11:33

Marrone will interview at Florham Park today according to reports
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 11:43

Wait a second. On one side, I see Charlie Casserly, Ron Wolf, Bill Polian, Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae, and Brandon Moore pulling for Marrone, and on the other side, the NY Daily News slamming the potential hire. Hmmm since I don't personally know Marrone, which side should I listen to? scratch .... Rolling Eyes .

Also, Hobson, maybe you can shed some light on this rumor that I've read. Supposedly, if Harbaugh stayed in the NFL, Michigan was going to look at Marrone?
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 11:52

football51 wrote:Wait a second. On one side, I see Charlie Casserly, Ron Wolf, Bill Polian, Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae, and Brandon Moore pulling for Marrone, and on the other side, the NY Daily News slamming the potential hire. Hmmm since I don't personally know Marrone, which side should I listen to? scratch .... Rolling Eyes .

Also, Hobson, maybe you can shed some light on this rumor that I've read. Supposedly, if Harbaugh stayed in the NFL, Michigan was going to look at Marrone?

marrone was apparently the name colin cowherd said was the "big name" michigan was looking at if harbaugh fell through. i had seen his name mentioned on the michigan board, but it was always harbaugh plan A. i think the plan B candidates of higher priority were miles, stoops and mora jr. payton was also mentioned, but i can't see that being realistic.

so yes, i saw his name mentioned, but not by one of the well connected insiders. and i don't think he was that high on the list.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 11:53

GratefulJet, they had to rush some coaching interviews because of league rules preventing teams from interviewing coordinators during prep week for games. Actually, besides Lynn(in house) and Quinn, they really haven't interviewed many coaches at all. For gm, they did the in house interview with Graves, spoke to the Browns personnel guy, and just finished with the Seahawks personnel man. The most likely hire, Mike Maccagnan, is on tap next. I'd expect almost a duel Maccagnan/Marrone day. They go way back with each other and would easily work in tandem. IMO, this has been in the works for awhile.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 12:12

football51 wrote:GratefulJet, they had to rush some coaching interviews because of league rules preventing teams from interviewing coordinators during prep week for games. Actually, besides Lynn(in house) and Quinn, they really haven't interviewed many coaches at all. For gm, they did the in house interview with Graves, spoke to the Browns personnel guy, and just finished with the Seahawks personnel man. The most likely hire, Mike Maccagnan, is on tap next. I'd expect almost a duel Maccagnan/Marrone day. They go way back with each other and would easily work in tandem. IMO, this has been in the works for awhile.

Maccagnan/Marrone is what I'm feeling right now, too. Just my gut.

Of course, things can always take a turn. You hear, "the Jets are moving quickly in their search", and then see interviews lined up with Bowles, Reich, Kubiak, ect. I think so much talk in the media right now is just talk. Nobody really knows for sure, and EVERYONE wants to be the "my sources tell me it's happening" guy.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 3 Jan 2015 - 12:51

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    football51 wrote:GratefulJet, they had to rush some coaching interviews because of league rules preventing teams from interviewing coordinators during prep week for games. Actually, besides Lynn(in house) and Quinn, they really haven't interviewed many coaches at all. For gm, they did the in house interview with Graves, spoke to the Browns personnel guy, and just finished with the Seahawks personnel man. The most likely hire, Mike Maccagnan, is on tap next. I'd expect almost a duel Maccagnan/Marrone day. They go way back with each other and would easily work in tandem. IMO, this has been in the works for awhile.

Maccagnan/Marrone is what I'm feeling right now, too. Just my gut.

Of course, things can always take a turn. You hear, "the Jets are moving quickly in their search", and then see interviews lined up with Bowles, Reich, Kubiak, ect. I think so much talk in the media right now is just talk. Nobody really knows for sure, and EVERYONE wants to be the "my sources tell me it's happening" guy.

I think you and 51 are correct.  I'd love to see us hire Ballard from KC (I remember even when they were awful the year before they hired Reid they had like 11 pro bowlers), but M&M seems like how the chips are falling.  Can't complain about a highly regarded Parcells guy who followed his own path rather than riding Belicheats coat tail like so many others.  A fresh start with two men on the same page will be refreshing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024 - 0:09