Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+14
lnap23
Superman55
NCgreen12
NYJETSDAN16
GratefulJet
football51
NickSINYC
Blindsidebrick
The Wicker Man
hobson54
LIJETFAN
AFA2017
Sarge
Hunter07
18 posters

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ... - Page 6 Empty Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

Post by GratefulJet Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 21:51

It's one thing when anonymous "sources" are the fodder for a tabloid journalist looking to generate clicks, it's quite another when a former assistant comes out on the record and bashes someone in an interview for all the world to see. The fact a former Syracuse assistant is the basher isn't a deal killer for me, but it does raise a red flag of sorts. At this point I'd be talking to as many former assistants/associates of Marrone as I could find, to see if this was a lone disgruntled former employee nursing a grudge, or the tip of a larger iceberg. Have to get a grip on that before offering him a job.

As for the rest, only concern I have about Marrone is the comment someone else (Buffalo OC?) made that Marrone is too conservative with his playcalling/game management, and the team didn't go for it enough in critical situations. Not that I want a reckless riverboat gambler running the show, but the suggestion I got was that he (Marrone) lacks a feel for those moments when the game hangs in the balance, and tends to shy away from the bold initiative that can turn/clinch an outcome. No idea if that's true about him, but it's definitely a characteristic I would want to know about.

My personal view about coaches is that the great ones are very good at the details and preparation stuff, but they also have a patience and killer instinct for in-game situations. Rex IMHO lacked both those qualities but (almost) made up for it with his uniquely inspiring personality-based leadership style. He invariably made the wrong choice with respect to challenges (the borderline calls), and got burned often with his predictable 3rd and long blitz calls. As for preparation and details, well, the penalties and brain farts we too often saw were a product of that.

Marrone seems by all accounts to have the details/preparation thing covered. I don't want an accountant/drill sargent as head coach, however. If he inspires rebellion and discord, and lacks the killer instinct, his upside may be Mangini. We need a bit more than that.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ... - Page 6 Empty Re: Marrone opts out at Buffalo - headed for the Jets??? ...

Post by SackExchange Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 22:35

Valid point about one of his Syracuse assistants by name going on record to bash Marrone, as have a few Bills (though it's clear why they would have an axe to grind). But it is also worth noting that former players for Marrone, and Jets, went on record with their praise. Mawae, Curtis Martin, guys like that.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 23:21

GratefulJet wrote:It's one thing when anonymous "sources" are the fodder for a tabloid journalist looking to generate clicks, it's quite another when a former assistant comes out on the record and bashes someone in an interview for all the world to see. The fact a former Syracuse assistant is the basher isn't a deal killer for me, but it does raise a red flag of sorts. At this point I'd be talking to as many former assistants/associates of Marrone as I could find, to see if this was a lone disgruntled former employee nursing a grudge, or the tip of a larger iceberg. Have to get a grip on that before offering him a job.

As for the rest, only concern I have about Marrone is the comment someone else (Buffalo OC?) made that Marrone is too conservative with his playcalling/game management, and the team didn't go for it enough in critical situations. Not that I want a reckless riverboat gambler running the show, but the suggestion I got was that he (Marrone) lacks a feel for those moments when the game hangs in the balance, and tends to shy away from the bold initiative that can turn/clinch an outcome. No idea if that's true about him, but it's definitely a characteristic I would want to know about.

My personal view about coaches is that the great ones are very good at the details and preparation stuff, but they also have a patience and killer instinct for in-game situations. Rex IMHO lacked both those qualities but (almost) made up for it with his uniquely inspiring personality-based leadership style. He invariably made the wrong choice with respect to challenges (the borderline calls), and got burned often with his predictable 3rd and long blitz calls. As for preparation and details, well, the penalties and brain farts we too often saw were a product of that.

Marrone seems by all accounts to have the details/preparation thing covered. I don't want an accountant/drill sargent as head coach, however. If he inspires rebellion and discord, and lacks the killer instinct, his upside may be Mangini. We need a bit more than that.

place me on the side of not caring about the conservative offense label...he had erratic EJ Manuel at QB for a year and a few games, and Orton, fresh out of retirement, no preseason, and no training camp to learn the offense at QB...what did you expect, Kurt Warner and the greatest show on turf?

Of course he was conservative...what fool wouldn't be?

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 23:38

Superman55 wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:It's one thing when anonymous "sources" are the fodder for a tabloid journalist looking to generate clicks, it's quite another when a former assistant comes out on the record and bashes someone in an interview for all the world to see. The fact a former Syracuse assistant is the basher isn't a deal killer for me, but it does raise a red flag of sorts. At this point I'd be talking to as many former assistants/associates of Marrone as I could find, to see if this was a lone disgruntled former employee nursing a grudge, or the tip of a larger iceberg. Have to get a grip on that before offering him a job.

place me on the side of not caring about the conservative offense label...he had erratic EJ Manuel at QB for a year and a few games, and Orton, fresh out of retirement, no preseason, and no training camp to learn the offense at QB...what did you expect, Kurt Warner and the greatest show on turf?

I am aware of the extenuating circumstances. Presumably the OC, who voiced the criticism, was aware of them as well. It's simply something that needs to be addressed and put to bed, not dismissed lightly.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 5 Jan 2015 - 23:54

GratefulJet wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

I am aware of the extenuating circumstances. Presumably the OC, who voiced the criticism, was aware of them as well. It's simply something that needs to be addressed and put to bed, not dismissed lightly.

Yeah, there an interesting article on ESPN, about how Hacket's offense was fast paced running plays every 24 seconds in 2013 but led the league with 40% of drives ending w/o a first down...so Marrone scaled back the time, slowed it down to 28 seconds per play, created an offense with more short passes, and led a conservative attack to rest the defense and keep drives alive.  I kind of think that's smart...

...even if Fred Jackson doesn't agree.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/16814/fred-jackson-says-nate-hackett-couldnt-do-what-he-wanted-to

Marrone's strategy won 9 games, Hacket's won 6...
    Hunter07
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Hunter07 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 7:32

"so Marrone scaled back the time, slowed it down to 28 seconds per play, created an offense with more short passes, and led a conservative attack to rest the defense and keep drives alive. I kind of think that's smart"
    Exactly - good point. The Bills were going no where with EJ Manuael, not to mention a weak OL to boot. - Bringing in a QB with starting experience, Orton, was th right thing to do - a change in course was their only chance for a winning season, possibly even a play-off shot. It damn near worked - two of the Bills loses should easily have been wins. They had the Chiefs beaten until a stupid fumble on a punt return late in the game gave KC a win. Usually I NEVER blame the refs, things even out - but a bad last second call in the Denver game gave Denver the game, they had also beaten Denver. The Bills real record should have been 11-5 - all this with a weak OL & a QB that wasn't even in training camp ... The Bills defense was rated one of the best in the NFL ... in fact lead the league in sacks - 52 as I recall. - I saw a few of their games & they were a pleasure to watch ... fought hard for the whole 60 minutes. ...
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 8:16

Sources say Marrone could have done more to stop the winter storm that hit Buffalo and forced the Bills game to be moved out of state - Manish Mehta
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 8:51

SackExchange wrote:Valid point about one of his Syracuse assistants by name going on record to bash Marrone, as have a few Bills (though it's clear why they would have an axe to grind). But it is also worth noting that former players for Marrone, and Jets, went on record with their praise. Mawae, Curtis Martin, guys like that.

Sounds like when the Jets acquired Harvin. Never heard a single negative about him other than being hurt a little too often until he was Jets property. Then all of a sudden he became the Antichrist. Since he's been on board I haven't read one thing negative about him being disruptive, albeit, only a half of season had gone by. Being a high profile guy coming to the Jets has its downside with regards to any skeletons that are out there. The NY tabloids (not all of them) vet them out like they were running for president. If Manish ever gets fired there's a job at TMZ in waiting.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 9:18

you bring up some good points and i agree that some of these things are red flags (or maybe a blinking yellow light) that require some further investigation. hopefully woody and his advisers are doing proper due diligence into all of the candidates. i'm sure we could discover some warts on all of them if we dig deep enough (and rest assured, whoever the jets end up hiring will have his warts exposed by some parts of the local press).
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 9:43

Sarge wrote:Sources say Marrone could have done more to stop the winter storm that hit Buffalo and forced the Bills game to be moved out of state - Manish Mehta

rotflmao lol!
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 9:52

somewhere John Idzik is smiling right now
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 10:14

I have no idea who to believe on Marrone. The fact that there are "red flags" of any kind is a problem. You don't hear similar rumors about the leading candidates such as Quinn or Bowles. I just don't think he has done anything so spectacular to warrant being immediately moved to the front of the line. It appears that the Jets agree because they are continuing their due diligence and interviewing as many candidates as possible, which for once is the right move.

My personal preference out of this pool of candidates would be Dan Quinn. He's won a Super Bowl, had the #1 defense in the league and has ties to the Jets. I recall several Jet players spoke very highly of him. He doesn't have a lot of coordinator experience, but I think the quality of his experience is strong having gone through the playoffs against some of the best teams in football. He is the so-called hot candidate on the market right now. But I think he is an excellent fit for the Jets. They have a foundation on defense that he can work with. That is the stronger unit on the team, even if the secondary is a mess.

I would prefer an offensive minded coach, but I am not a fan of Kubiak at all. Frank Reich is interesting, but he probably should will go to the Bills. He has such strong ties to that organization that he would be a great fit there. So, I am in the camp of hiring Dan Quinn out of this group. I would be ok with Todd Bowles. I would be disappointed if the Jets hired Marrone. I think he would be on the hot seat immediately because of all the bad press he is getting, and the Jets don't need those kinds of distractions. It would just affirm the circus label.

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:00

NCgreen12 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:Valid point about one of his Syracuse assistants by name going on record to bash Marrone, as have a few Bills (though it's clear why they would have an axe to grind). But it is also worth noting that former players for Marrone, and Jets, went on record with their praise. Mawae, Curtis Martin, guys like that.

Sounds like when the Jets acquired Harvin. Never heard a single negative about him other than being hurt a little too often until he was Jets property. Then all of a sudden he became the Antichrist. Since he's been on board I haven't read one thing negative about him being disruptive, albeit, only a half of season had gone by. Being a high profile guy coming to the Jets has its downside with regards to any skeletons that are out there. The NY tabloids (not all of them) vet them out like they were running for president. If Manish ever gets fired there's a job at TMZ in waiting.  
    Well, that happens with every guy who becomes a Jet. And as soon as they are no longer Jets, they become deities.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:01

LIJETFAN wrote:I have no idea who to believe on Marrone.  The fact that there are "red flags" of any kind is a problem.  You don't hear similar rumors about the leading candidates such as Quinn or Bowles.  I just don't think he has done anything so spectacular to warrant being immediately moved to the front of the line.  It appears that the Jets agree because they are continuing their due diligence and interviewing as many candidates as possible, which for once is the right move.    

My personal preference out of this pool of candidates would be Dan Quinn.  He's won a Super Bowl, had the #1 defense in the league and has ties to the Jets.  I recall several Jet players spoke very highly of him.  He doesn't have a lot of coordinator experience, but I think the quality of his experience is strong having gone through the playoffs against some of the best teams in football.  He is the so-called hot candidate on the market right now.  But I think he is an excellent fit for the Jets.  They have a foundation on defense that he can work with.  That is the stronger unit on the team, even if the secondary is a mess.  

I would prefer an offensive minded coach, but I am not a fan of Kubiak at all.  Frank Reich is interesting, but he probably should will go to the Bills.  He has such strong ties to that organization that he would be a great fit there.  So, I am in the camp of hiring Dan Quinn out of this group.  I would be ok with Todd Bowles.  I would be disappointed if the Jets hired Marrone.  I think he would be on the hot seat immediately because of all the bad press he is getting, and the Jets don't need those kinds of distractions.  It would just affirm the circus label.  

If Quinn became the leading candidate for the Jets' job, you would hear about how horrible he is. Guaranteed.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:02

Seaver wrote:somewhere John Idzik is smiling right now

well as much as someone who will likely never again reach the pinnacle of his profession can be smiling after being fired from a dream job after only 2 years...
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 12:34

SackExchange wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:I have no idea who to believe on Marrone.  The fact that there are "red flags" of any kind is a problem.  You don't hear similar rumors about the leading candidates such as Quinn or Bowles.  I just don't think he has done anything so spectacular to warrant being immediately moved to the front of the line.  It appears that the Jets agree because they are continuing their due diligence and interviewing as many candidates as possible, which for once is the right move.    

My personal preference out of this pool of candidates would be Dan Quinn.  He's won a Super Bowl, had the #1 defense in the league and has ties to the Jets.  I recall several Jet players spoke very highly of him.  He doesn't have a lot of coordinator experience, but I think the quality of his experience is strong having gone through the playoffs against some of the best teams in football.  He is the so-called hot candidate on the market right now.  But I think he is an excellent fit for the Jets.  They have a foundation on defense that he can work with.  That is the stronger unit on the team, even if the secondary is a mess.  

I would prefer an offensive minded coach, but I am not a fan of Kubiak at all.  Frank Reich is interesting, but he probably should will go to the Bills.  He has such strong ties to that organization that he would be a great fit there.  So, I am in the camp of hiring Dan Quinn out of this group.  I would be ok with Todd Bowles.  I would be disappointed if the Jets hired Marrone.  I think he would be on the hot seat immediately because of all the bad press he is getting, and the Jets don't need those kinds of distractions.  It would just affirm the circus label.  

If Quinn became the leading candidate for the Jets' job, you would hear about how horrible he is. Guaranteed.

Quinn gets hired, and here's the headline:

"Bumbling Jets screw up head coaching vacancy by selecting defensive coordinator, despite woes on offense".

Let's do multiple choice:

A) Gary Myers
    B) Mike Lupica
    C) Manish Mehta
    D) Rich Cimini
    E) Let's be honest, several of these guys will bash the signing.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 13:44

hobson54 wrote:
    Seaver wrote:somewhere John Idzik is smiling right now

well as much as someone who will likely never again reach the pinnacle of his profession can be smiling after being fired from a dream job after only 2 years...

Now you're just piling on.

Kind of shocked he hasn't returned to Seattle already...maybe after the play-offs. The GM seemed to love him.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:53

My hope is Quinn but either will do ...
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 15:13

If Quinn was the front runner Manish would ask if he's bringing Sherman, Wagner, and Thomas with him. He'd also point out that Wilson isn't the qb here, and he'd question who is offensive coordinator would be.

I was watching NFL Live on monday, and Schefter said Marrone's interview went very well. The NY Daily News says it didn't. Now, we all know that Woody, Casserly, Wolf, and Marrone himself aren't feeding any information to that rag, so, I'm going to assume that they made that up.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 15:30

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 15:55

scratch

Rich Cimini
    ‏@RichCimini
    So if Doug Marrone was so disliked in Buffalo, as some have portrayed, why were the Bills prepared to give him a contract extension? #nyj

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 15:56

Why are so many Bills upset that he left if he was so awful?
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 16:36

rotflmao

Mike SielskiVerified account
    ‏@MikeSielski
    Source: Doug Marrone clubs baby seals, kicks three-legged puppies, and is the anti-Christ. #NYJ

‏@MikeSielski
    Person close to Doug Marrone tells me: "He's kind of smelly." #NYJ

‏@MikeSielski
    Person with knowledge of the situation says Doug Marrone did not cry at the end of "Brian's Song" and has never seen "Goodfellas." #NYJ

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 17:35

Chris Trapasso
    ‏@ChrisTrapasso
    When my source told me "Whaley won battle w/ Marrone" after Marrone opted-out, he must have been referencing EJ Manuel, among other things.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 20:12

Brian Costello
    ‏@BrianCoz
    #scheinknows "@AdamSchein: The special teams coach that Doug Marrone fired for being awful doesn't like Doug Marrone. Got it.”

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024 - 3:40