Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+17
GratefulJet
Superman55
Digwin
NCgreen12
Metjetgal
The Wicker Man
LIJETFAN
soj
NickSINYC
lnap23
football51
SackExchange
Seaver
Old#15
cysporsche
Blindsidebrick
Sarge
21 posters

Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak

Poll

Of this group, who do you prefer?

[ 9 ]
    Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Bar_left50%Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Bar_left44%Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Bar_right [44%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Bar_left0%Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Bar_left6%Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Bar_right [6%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Bar_left0%Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 18
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Empty Re: Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak

Post by NickSINYC Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 22:43

Manish Mehta seems to be going negative pretty fast on Marrone. He is setting himself up to be 1st in line to bash the hire if it happens. His negativity just makes me want Marrone more.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 4 Empty Re: Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak

Post by LIJETFAN Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 23:09

I am not saying he would be a bad hire, but why not interview all the candidates? Like I said, he doesn't have the resume of Bill Parcells at this point in his career, so the Jets should do their homework.

I didn't the Bills offense was anything to great, but you make fair point given their injuries and QB situation.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 23:42

If you think the press was bad before, Marrone will get KILLED by the local press.

Why? The biggest sports journalism program around is Syracuse, and Marrone left Syracuse for the NFL. Built-in bias. They will try to destroy him.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 23:57

Mother Theresa would have been destroyed by the Jets media the 1st time she drafted a player who didn't make All Pro as a rookie

You have built in scandal, imperfections, second guessing, and Monday morning quarterbacking with anyone the Jets hire

Tom Cable seems the most likely to be savaged,but they'll all get it. Quinn got credit for Carroll's defense, Bowles is no better qualified than Rex and Jets needed offense, Kubiak is a retread, Reich is a Bill and too inexperienced
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 0:25

Rex Ryan was a joke, both locally and nationally, until the Jets dumped him. Then he became the best coach anyone has ever seen.

It's absolutely ridiculous. It's as if the media, national and local, are just trolls from other teams' fan bases.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 1:50

Frank Reich reportedly at the top of Bills HC list...makes sense to me!
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 11:45

What about Norv Turner ? He's an offensive genius, loved by his players, and was fired in his last gig with the Chargers after going 14-2. I can't imagine a HC getting fired in the NFL after going 14-2. Shocked

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 11:50

Norv is in the middle of working his magic with Bridgewater, I think it's too early for him to jump off this ship yet. Maybe next year.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 12:39

I could definitely see Reich taking the reins in Buffalo. Good fit.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 12:43

Superman55 wrote:Norv is in the middle of working his magic with Bridgewater, I think it's too early for him to jump off this ship yet.  Maybe next year.  

As a headhunter, I found that 2 things candidates love the most, is to be promoted to the top, and to double their salary demands. I think Turner would bolt Bridgewater & the Vikings in a NY second to be a HC again ? We'll never know unless he's on Casserly or Wolfs buddy list !!!!?

Go Jets...Cyborg
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 12:54

norv turner is a great coordinator, but is not a head coach that will win the title. he's sort of like marty s. good enough to make the playoffs and then flop.

i'd rather some young coach than an old retread like norv.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 13:00

SackExchange wrote:If you think the press was bad before, Marrone will get KILLED by the local press.

Why? The biggest sports journalism program around is Syracuse, and Marrone left Syracuse for the NFL. Built-in bias. They will try to destroy him.

Cimini, Kimberly A Martin, and I believe Adam Schein all went to Syracuse and love Marrone. Serby of the Post is pushing hard for Marrone as well. Manish might be all alone on this one(well, maybe his buddies Walder & Myers too).
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 15:09

Giant Myers is clearly in Manish's corner.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 16:42

SackExchange wrote:Rex Ryan was a joke, both locally and nationally, until the Jets dumped him. Then he became the best coach anyone has ever seen.

It's absolutely ridiculous. It's as if the media, national and local, are just trolls from other teams' fan bases.

Not sure how Rex was a joke nationally ... the majority of the national media said Rex shouldn't be fired and was a very good HC... The beat writers locally Mehta and Nationally Cimini are a joke and try to keep the circus in town forever.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 16:51

cysporsche wrote:What about Norv Turner ? He's an offensive genius, loved by his players, and was fired in his last gig with the Chargers after going 14-2. I can't imagine a HC getting fired in the NFL after going 14-2. Shocked

Go Jets...Cyborg

Didn't Chitty's dad get canned in the same way?
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 17:07

lnap23 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:Rex Ryan was a joke, both locally and nationally, until the Jets dumped him. Then he became the best coach anyone has ever seen.

Not sure how Rex was a joke nationally ... the majority of the national media said Rex shouldn't be fired and was a very good HC... The beat writers locally Mehta and Nationally Cimini are a joke and try to keep the circus in town forever.

Those same national media members( Kirwan, Brandt, etc), back in 2013, said Ryan cost the Jets the opportunity at strong gm candidates because none of them wanted to keep him. now, when the Jets fire Ryan, they sing a different tune. It's predictable; whatever the Jets do, most media will take the opposite side.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 18:11

football51 wrote:
    lnap23 wrote:

Those same national media members( Kirwan, Brandt, etc), back in 2013, said Ryan cost the Jets the opportunity at strong gm candidates because none of them wanted to keep him. now, when the Jets fire Ryan, they sing a different tune. It's predictable; whatever the Jets do, most media will take the opposite side.

It's a satire. DeCosta turned down the GM interview with the Jets, and Mehta says we missed out on "the transformation of the organization". It's amazing how these guys can see into the future with assistant GM's. And of course, the Jets lose out again. If only Woody Johnson listened to Manish Mehta more. We'd be an elite franchise.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 5:54

Manish Mehta is utterly scurrilous. That having been said, I am not going to go all in on Doug Marrone out of pure Mehta spite. I really hope that Woody & Advisors have a process in place that they stick to, and that whatever allowed Idzik to get through the process last time has been amended in the current process. Hire the GM first, let him hire the HC.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 7:43

GratefulJet wrote:Manish Mehta is utterly scurrilous. That having been said, I am not going to go all in on Doug Marrone out of pure Mehta spite. I really hope that Woody & Advisors have a process in place that they stick to, and that whatever allowed Idzik to get through the process last time has been amended in the current process. Hire the GM first, let him hire the HC.

I really want us to be patient also. A great coach will likely fall in our lap after we secure our GM. Teams are going to rush and sign Rex, Marone, Bowles, Hamilton, Marrone, etc...and when guys like Quinn, Gase, and Bevell shake free, I think only 1-2 spots are going to be open.

No need to rush! Get the right GM first.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 10:32

GratefulJet wrote:Manish Mehta is utterly scurrilous. That having been said, I am not going to go all in on Doug Marrone out of pure Mehta spite. I really hope that Woody & Advisors have a process in place that they stick to, and that whatever allowed Idzik to get through the process last time has been amended in the current process. Hire the GM first, let him hire the HC.

Mehta behaves like a petulant child. And from a personal standpoint, that makes me root for people he's so seemingly adverse to.

But it's been said that the GM/HC search has been simultaneous. Trying to find two people cut from the same cloth, possibly with some history together. I think it's actally a safer approach than putting two people together and hoping it works, based on reputation or first impressions. Taking a HC based on the package deal understanding. If "A" comes, "B" will be right behind.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 12:50

Tim Graham
    ‏@ByTimGraham
    Bills trying to arrange interview with Frank Reich on Sunday in San Diego before he leaves for his interview at the Jets.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 13:55

Reich is last on my list of preferred Jets coaches from the rumored short list
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 13:56

Reich is last on my list of preferred Jets coaches from the rumored short list
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 14:13

Sarge wrote:Reich is last on my list of preferred Jets  coaches from the rumored short list

I'm a little wary of Reich, too. Not enough time as a coordinator.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 14:55

I agree with this. Mehta is awful, but I am not sold on Marrone. I think Marrone is an intriguing candidate, and needs to be strongly considered, but he's not the sole candidate of note.

I'd prefer the team went GM first. However, some coaches may get scooped up pretty quickly, and a team may have to jump to get the coach they want. That said, I'd like to think that any potential coaching hire would have the nod of approval from the top list of GM candidates as someone with whom they'd like to work.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024 - 15:09