Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+17
GratefulJet
Superman55
Digwin
NCgreen12
Metjetgal
The Wicker Man
LIJETFAN
soj
NickSINYC
lnap23
football51
SackExchange
Seaver
Old#15
cysporsche
Blindsidebrick
Sarge
21 posters

Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak

Poll

Of this group, who do you prefer?

[ 9 ]
    Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Bar_left50%Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Bar_left44%Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Bar_right [44%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Bar_left0%Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Bar_left6%Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Bar_right [6%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Bar_left0%Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 18
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Empty Re: Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak

Post by SackExchange Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 12:53

soj wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    What if the Jets hire Quinn? What if Milliner, Amaro (on Kiper's all-rookie team), and Pryor (also on Kiper's all-rookie team), along with Richardson, become major contributors?

Quinn was the guy Idzik wanted from the start. If the Jets hire him, and he turns out to be a great HC, and those other guys become major players, it might show that Idzik wasn't as awful as he was made out to be.

Sack just wondering how you know Idzik wanted Quinn from the start?
    I don't know for sure. There was rampant speculation based on their Seattle ties and their close relationship that Quinn, along with the Niners' Roman, were the two big names linked to Idzik.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak - Page 3 Empty Re: Rumored Names: Quinn, Bowles, Cable, Reich, Kubiak

Post by Blindsidebrick Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 13:01

SackExchange wrote:
    soj wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    What if the Jets hire Quinn? What if Milliner, Amaro (on Kiper's all-rookie team), and Pryor (also on Kiper's all-rookie team), along with Richardson, become major contributors?

Quinn was the guy Idzik wanted from the start. If the Jets hire him, and he turns out to be a great HC, and those other guys become major players, it might show that Idzik wasn't as awful as he was made out to be.

I don't know for sure. There was rampant speculation based on their Seattle ties and their close relationship that Quinn, along with the Niners' Roman, were the two big names linked to Idzik.

If that scenario plays out, I know one thing: some faction of Jets fans will claim that firing Idzik is just another example of the incompetence of Woody Johnson for letting him go. Bank on it. And a few media people will also ride that wave of "they never should have fired Idzik".
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 13:03

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    soj wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

If that scenario plays out, I know one thing: some faction of Jets fans will claim that firing Idzik is just another example of the incompetence of Woody Johnson for letting him go. Bank on it. And a few media people will also ride that wave of "they never should have fired Idzik".
    I also guarantee a good portion of those fans will have "Fire Idzik" towels buried in their closet.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 14:53

Idzik needed to go and he is gone. That's ancient history already. Who cares what about the woulda, coulda, shoulda arguments. It's nonsense. The decision has been made and the Jets are headed in a new direction. So, moving on to more important subjects - I still have no idea why the Jets are interviewing Cable. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. I think Quinn would be the Jets first choice and they will make a hard push to get him if they can, depending upon who the GM turns out to be. I think the wild card is DeCosta. If he is willing to interview, that would change the dynamics a little bit. But I think the Jets will need to move fast. They should try to have their interviews wrapped up as quickly as possible and hire someone by the end of next week, middle of the following week at the latest.

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 15:05

LIJETFAN wrote:Idzik needed to go and he is gone.  That's ancient history already.  Who cares what about the woulda, coulda, shoulda arguments.  It's nonsense.  The decision has been made and the Jets are headed in a new direction.  So, moving on to more important subjects - I still have no idea why the Jets are interviewing Cable.  That makes no sense to me whatsoever.  I think Quinn would be the Jets first choice and they will make a hard push to get him if they can, depending upon who the GM turns out to be.  I think the wild card is DeCosta.  If he is willing to interview, that would change the dynamics a little bit.  But I think the Jets will need to move fast.  They should try to have their interviews wrapped up as quickly as possible and hire someone by the end of next week, middle of the following week at the latest.  

I agree about Cable. As much as I like guys with OL backgrounds, he just doesn't seem like the right fit.

I'd love DeCosta, but with Gamble seeking employment, and already being pretty close geographically, I'd love to be all over that.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 15:10

SackExchange wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:Idzik needed to go and he is gone.  That's ancient history already.  Who cares what about the woulda, coulda, shoulda arguments.  It's nonsense.  The decision has been made and the Jets are headed in a new direction.  So, moving on to more important subjects - I still have no idea why the Jets are interviewing Cable.  That makes no sense to me whatsoever.  I think Quinn would be the Jets first choice and they will make a hard push to get him if they can, depending upon who the GM turns out to be.  I think the wild card is DeCosta.  If he is willing to interview, that would change the dynamics a little bit.  But I think the Jets will need to move fast.  They should try to have their interviews wrapped up as quickly as possible and hire someone by the end of next week, middle of the following week at the latest.  

I agree about Cable. As much as I like guys with OL backgrounds, he just doesn't seem like the right fit.

I'd love DeCosta, but with Gamble seeking employment, and already being pretty close geographically, I'd love to be all over that.

I also agree on Cable as much as I like Gamble DeCosta is the prize. I just don't think he is going anywhere so Gamble would be my number one target.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 15:19

My guess is DeCosta stays, as well. And if he does, it makes you question whether he is the right guy, anyway. A few years ago, he was being sold a bill of goods about how he would be moving up in the organization behind Ozzie. Hasn't happened yet.

Either he is gullible, or not terribly ambitious to move ahead with his career.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 15:30

SackExchange wrote:My guess is DeCosta stays, as well. And if he does, it makes you question whether he is the right guy, anyway. A few years ago, he was being sold a bill of goods about how he would be moving up in the organization behind Ozzie. Hasn't happened yet.

I am willing to give DeCosta the benefit of the doubt but if he turns down all his opportunities to advance this year I will agree with you that he is not someone I want. Not enough ambition.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 16:31

Correct me if I'm wrong, but coaches currently in the playoffs, as well as advancing throughout the playoffs up until the Super Bowl, aren't signing anywhere soon. They will fulfill their commitments to their respective teams first.

That means guys like Quinn and Bowles may not be available for up to three or four weeks.

Am I wrong?
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 16:32

Blindsidebrick wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but coaches currently in the playoffs, as well as advancing throughout the playoffs up until the Super Bowl, aren't signing anywhere soon. They will fulfill their commitments to their respective teams first.

That means guys like Quinn and Bowles may not be available for up to three or four weeks.

Am I wrong?
    To the best of my knowledge, that is correct.

However, you can talk to assistants on playoff teams if their team has a bye.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 16:34

What does everyone think?

Rich Cimini
    ‏@RichCimini
    If Doug Marrone opts out in Buff, he'd make sense for Jets. Offensive-minded. Former Jets OL coach. NY native. Respected around NFL. #nyj

Also, saw this............

Jeff ZrebiecVerified account
    ‏@jeffzrebiecsun
    Gary Kubiak said he's told John Harbaugh they he's not interested in head coaching vacancies right now. Could change if season ends.

not sure I understand this. He couldn't be hired until the Ravens season was over anyway.

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 16:37

I guess with Kubiak, he doesn't even want to talk to teams until the Ravens are done with their playoff run. Sends a good team message, but may also hurt his chances of landing a job.

As for Marrone, it could work, though I might be concerned about his ability to scout or develop a young QB. Manuel hasn't exactly thrived there.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 16:44

I like Marrone. We could do much worse with an unproven coordinator.
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 18:00

NickSINYC wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:My guess is DeCosta stays, as well. And if he does, it makes you question whether he is the right guy, anyway. A few years ago, he was being sold a bill of goods about how he would be moving up in the organization behind Ozzie. Hasn't happened yet.

I am willing to give DeCosta the benefit of the doubt but if he turns down all his opportunities to advance this year I will agree with you that he is not someone I want. Not enough ambition.
    While I agree you want someone with great ambition to succeed as our GM to be fair to DeCosta we don't know what he is promised to him by the Ravens as well as his family situation (aka being very content to stay put in Baltimore). Well enough though. No one can tell which assistant to a GM has what it takes when he is actually in the driver seat.

Happy New Year to all. May 2015 finally be the year of the Jets..
    Digwin
    Digwin
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Digwin Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 18:24

Sorry, is it me or is anyone else underwhelmed by this list? I'm starting to have sellers remorse, somewhat.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 18:30

I expect Carolina to run all over Arizona and this be an easy Panthers win.  The last two games vs 9ers and Seattle, Kaepernick, Wilson, and the run games racked up 473 rushing yards.  Could you imagine watching back-to-back games against division rivals and your top D giving up 473 on the ground?  I bet Cam and Stewart have a monster game this week and Bowles to become available.

I think a team will move fast on him.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 18:42

Digwin wrote:Sorry, is it me or is anyone else underwhelmed by this list? I'm starting to have sellers remorse, somewhat.

Yeahhhh, last year I was really excited about the Bill O'Brien, Mike Zimmer, and Jay Gruden coaches becoming available. I really wanted Idzik to dump Ryan a year ago and grab one of these 3 (in that order). I've honestly feel Rex is going to win a Super Bowl one day, so I always liked him as a coach...but until the Miami game last year, I had been ready to move on from Rex. That Miami game he made a statement worth staying, but I would have been okay if we replace Rex with O'Brien. The dude can coach.

I think Zimmer runs a tight ship and has been an underrated coordinator for a while; and if you knew Norv came with him, no brainer. Gruden does creative things with two tight ends and has done an awesome job developing a lesser talent in Dalton. I think he's underrated for developing young talented offensive players and getting them involved in the offense. I think he's good at what he does and would be a great coach.

This year's coaching class is a little underwhelming with a few pretty pennies in Bowles and Quinn I think the hottest names. I think Atlanta and 9ers are sexy jobs though these two may be all over. Bowles knows the division, and I kind of hope Arizona moves on Rex blocking that spot from Quinn. You have to think we will get in the Quinn discussions.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 19:15

Digwin wrote:Sorry, is it me or is anyone else underwhelmed by this list? I'm starting to have sellers remorse, somewhat.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to feel that way, but honestly, when you think about it, would you have been tickled pink by a young Chuck Noll who was a DC for the Colts, Mike Holmgren before his first HC gig when he was a OC for the 49ers, even Bill Walsh coming out of Stanford? You just don't know how these guys are going to grow into their jobs, but all the great HC's (and the bad ones too) were coordinators and/or college coaches before their first NFL HC job.

We don't get to meet them in person, so we don't get a sense for their intelligence, their communication ability, or their personality and leadership qualities. Have to trust the judgement of the guys who do.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 20:53

AMPED!!

I don't know what the general consesus of this board is on Doug marrone, but the guy just became my (and hopefully the Jets)  #1 coaching candidate. The guy has won every where he's been.  Rescued a dwindling Syracuse football program. Then this past year had Bills fans cheering for their club again.

( Hell even Kevin Mawae loves the possibilty:   Dennis Waszak Jr. retweeted
    Kevin Mawae ‏@KevinMawae 31m31 minutes ago
    I'd play for Marrone anytime! 5 years as my OL coach with @nyjets ranks w/ the best of them!
    )

The guy will do anything to win, even bench a 1st round QB.  I strongly feel with Marrone, the rest will fall in place.   Tom Gamble just got fired by the Eagles and IMHO have to considered to spear head the scouting committee.  
    Director of the college scouting program from the Texans Mike Maccagnan would definitely work very well with Marrone as GM.  There have been rumors that Casserley is very fond of both of these men.

We shall see what happens from here on out. Very excited folks!!!

(Also thinking maybe He and the new GM can pull off a trade with the Giants to acquire Ryan Nassib. Smart kid-Strong arm and a helluva competitor )
    Polishjetfan
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Polishjetfan Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 21:34

To me it all depends why Marrone would walk away from 4 mil next season.

I don't like how the Manuel thing played out. I also don't like how much they gave up for the 3rd or 4th best wr in this draft when all they had to do was just wait and Evans or Beckham would have fallen to them.

So to me if Marrone left due to a disconnect w the front office then I am all for the signing, which is very likely considering how much money he is leaving on the table. Plus it's hard to believe the bills would be pushing him out the door after their 1st winning season in 10 yrs.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 21:37

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 21:42

Polishjetfan wrote:To me it all depends why Marrone would walk away from 4 mil next season.

I don't like how the Manuel thing played out. I also don't like how much they gave up for the 3rd or 4th best wr in this draft when all they had to do was just wait and Evans or Beckham would have fallen to them.

So to me if Marrone left due to a disconnect w the front office then I am all for the signing, which is very likely considering how much money he is leaving on the table. Plus it's hard to believe the bills would be pushing him out the door after their 1st winning season in 10 yrs.

Marrone did not walk away from 4 mil. His contract guarantees that 4 mil if he opted out of his contract even if he gets a new HC job. In effect he will get a double salary.

Rumor is the new Bills ownership was planning on making some upper management changes and when Marrone approached them about it they would not give him any insight on their plans.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 22:09

NickSINYC wrote:
    Polishjetfan wrote:To me it all depends why Marrone would walk away from 4 mil next season.

Marrone did not walk away from 4 mil. His contract guarantees that 4 mil if he opted out of his contract even if he gets a new HC job. In effect he will get a double salary.

Rumor is the new Bills ownership was planning on making some upper management changes and when Marrone approached them about it they would not give him any insight on their plans.

The hot rumor is Bill Polian is coming in to GM the Bills and this will allow him to bring in his coach.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 22:19

I think the Jets need to do their due diligence and continue their search. They should hire the GM first and let that person make the decision on the coach. If they hire the coach first, then they are right back in the same situation that they were in with Rex and Idzik. You would think that Woody learned his lesson the first time? They'd better not screw this up. Hire the GM first and then pick the HC.

I think Marrone is fine. But this team needs offense and Marrone, who was good offensive line coach did not have a good offense at all. In fact, Buffalo's offense was below average under Marrone. I think he should be put into the mix like every other candidate. The Jets should not make the mistake of going with the flavor of the moment. It's not like Marrone is Bill Parcells. He coached the Bills to a mediocre record and had a mediocre offense and he is an offensive coach. I would be very disappointed if the Jets hired him without interviewing all of the candidates.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Wed 31 Dec 2014 - 22:23

LIJETFAN wrote:I think the Jets need to do their due diligence and continue their search.  They should hire the GM first and let that person make the decision on the coach.  If they hire the coach first, then they are right back in the same situation that they were in with Rex and Idzik.  You would think that Woody learned his lesson the first time?  They'd better not screw this up.  Hire the GM first and then pick the HC.  

I think Marrone is fine.  But this team needs offense and Marrone, who was good offensive line coach did not have a good offense at all.  In fact, Buffalo's offense was below average under Marrone.   I think he should be put into the mix like every other candidate.  The Jets should not make the mistake of going with the flavor of the moment.  It's not like Marrone is Bill Parcells.  He coached the Bills to a mediocre record and had a mediocre offense and he is an offensive coach.  I would be very disappointed if the Jets hired him without interviewing all of the candidates.  

He coached a mediocre team to a winning season with a journey man QB.  He's a well rounded coach.  His offense didn't produce much given the injuries to his top RB's in Spller and Jackson.

The guy can flat out coach.

The best part of hiring him is that he would put an end to the Geno Smith experiment instantaneously. I wouldnt be surprised if he would try to trade for Nassib and draft a QB as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024 - 10:00