Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+21
Pointdexter
lnap23
jetfandreamer
AFA2017
jamesfyo123
McJet
Sarge
cysporsche
GratefulJet
Seaver
Old#15
LIJETFAN
NickSINYC
football51
The Wicker Man
SackExchange
MachinaVerde
HYATT™
NYJETSDAN16
hobson54
Superman55
25 posters

2015 NFL Draft Thread

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

2015 NFL Draft Thread - Page 19 Empty Re: 2015 NFL Draft Thread

Post by Superman55 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 9:35

Sarge wrote:Does the hiring of Bowles alter our thoughts about the #6 pick?  At 1st glance it doesn't seem to.  MAYBE puts one of the pass rushers Ray, Gregory, Beasley a little more in play

There is a good crop of OLB free agent but not a good crop of FA Cbs. I think we may trade back.
    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 9:51

Hobson,

I get what you're saying and I don't love the idea of taking Mariota at #6 either. At the end of the day, though, he has the best skills of QB's that will be available to us (arm, athleticism, size, smarts, accuracy, etc). Mariota has the best package of those skills and therefore gives us the best chance to find that franchise guy. At some point you have to take the plunge. If we go OLB at #6 and Vic Beasley (who I love) turns out to be a pass rushing stud, we are still just an "okay" team. If we take White (the WR from WVU) and he turns out to be an all-pro caliber player, we will still just be decent to good as a team. If we take Mariota (who has undeniable tools and upside) and his potential pans out, then we are a legit super bowl contender.

That's the difference of finding that guy at QB. You've got to take the risk to get the reward. No way in hell we are going anywhere as a franchise with Geno Smith as the future signal caller of this team.
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 9:53

Superman55 wrote:
    Sarge wrote:Does the hiring of Bowles alter our thoughts about the #6 pick?  At 1st glance it doesn't seem to.  MAYBE puts one of the pass rushers Ray, Gregory, Beasley a little more in play

There is a good crop of OLB free agent but not a good crop of FA Cbs.  I think we may trade back.  

I'd bet the CB's will come from free agency (Kareem Jackson, Brandon Flowers, Revis ??). Not sure we could trust that position to anyone we have signed, including Milliner and a bunch of rookies.

If we trade down an offensive lineman along with an OLB has to be in the mix.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 9:59

Pointdexter wrote:Hobson,

I get what you're saying and I don't love the idea of taking Mariota at #6 either. At the end of the day, though, he has the best skills of QB's that will be available to us (arm, athleticism, size, smarts, accuracy, etc).  Mariota has the best package of those skills and therefore gives us the best chance to find that franchise guy.  At some point you have to take the plunge.  If we go OLB at #6 and Vic Beasley (who I love) turns out to be a pass rushing stud, we are still just an "okay" team.  If we take White (the WR from WVU) and he turns out to be an all-pro caliber player, we will still just be decent to good as a team.  If we take Mariota (who has undeniable tools and upside) and his potential pans out, then we are a legit super bowl contender.

That's the difference of finding that guy at QB.  You've got to take the risk to get the reward.  No way in hell we are going anywhere as a franchise with Geno Smith as the future signal caller of this team.  

good point.

well this is where maccagnan will earn his stripes. he will need to really evaluate the QBs in this draft, not only winston and mariota, but also other guys who will be available later in the draft, and make the call.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 10:49

Pointdexter wrote:Hobson,

I get what you're saying and I don't love the idea of taking Mariota at #6 either. At the end of the day, though, he has the best skills of QB's that will be available to us (arm, athleticism, size, smarts, accuracy, etc).  Mariota has the best package of those skills and therefore gives us the best chance to find that franchise guy.  At some point you have to take the plunge.  If we go OLB at #6 and Vic Beasley (who I love) turns out to be a pass rushing stud, we are still just an "okay" team.  If we take White (the WR from WVU) and he turns out to be an all-pro caliber player, we will still just be decent to good as a team.  If we take Mariota (who has undeniable tools and upside) and his potential pans out, then we are a legit super bowl contender.

That's the difference of finding that guy at QB.  You've got to take the risk to get the reward.  No way in hell we are going anywhere as a franchise with Geno Smith as the future signal caller of this team.  

No disagreement about the importance of the QB position, and finding a franchise QB. It's the biggest factor in getting to the Dance.

But Mariota and Winston both have questions that Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers didn't have. Having the #6 pick, and being in the position the Jets are in, I believe you take the best player on the board. Whether it's an OLB, WR, QB, whatever. I don't believe you take the QB automatically. If Geno, a veteran, and a mid round draft pick have to hold the fort in the meantime, so be it.

Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 11:19

I will give you that Luck was considered a near can't-miss type but that is the exception to the rule. I think it's easy to use hindsight and forget that a lot of these guys were anything but can't miss prospects when they came out.

Aaron Rodgers had 23 teams pass on him and wasn't even the 1st QB off the board (Alex Smith, 1st overall) in the 2005 draft. To say Rodgers didn't have question marks when he came out is not accurate and is influenced by our hindsight of the situation.

Here is an article on what some scouts thought of Rodgers coming out:

TheBigLead.com dug up a story from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel looking at pre-draft scouting reports on Rodgers. In hindsight, quite a few teams got it wrong on the 2011 NFL MVP. “I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other (Jeff) Tedford-coached quarterback,” one NFC scout told the Journal Sentinel’s Bob McGinn. “Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn’t have great ability to change the release of the football.” Another scout was even harsher. “He’s a system quarterback,” an AFC scout told McGinn. “3-, 5-, 7-step guy. Can’t create on his own. Panics under pressure. Gets flustered easy. I don’t think there’s a quarterback in the draft worthy of a first-round pick. I’m dead serious. None of them are worth it.” Another evaluator compared Rodgers to quarterbacking luminaries such as Kyle Boller and Joey Harrington.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/11/aaron-rodgers-pre-draft-scouting-reports-system-quarterback-likely-bust/
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 11:25

If I'm an owner and my GM picks Mariota with a top 10 pick........he's fired. I don't know what those who like Mariota are basing their pick on - he has YET to show anything that resembles what an NFL QB is required to perform. That's not a knock against the kid, but he hasn't been exposed to what is required. He is an UNKNOWN. He is no less of a risk than taking some kid in the 4th-5th-6th-7th round.......except he comes at the cost of passing on premium talent at another position.

Those supporting Mariota are blind guessing........I'm not prepared to do that at #6.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 11:31

Pointdexter wrote:I will give you that Luck was considered a near can't-miss type but that is the exception to the rule.  I think it's easy to use hindsight and forget that a lot of these guys were anything but can't miss prospects when they came out.  

Aaron Rodgers had 23 teams pass on him and wasn't even the 1st QB off the board (Alex Smith, 1st overall) in the 2005 draft.  To say Rodgers didn't have question marks when he came out is not accurate and is influenced by our hindsight of the situation.

Here is an article on what some scouts thought of Rodgers coming out:

TheBigLead.com dug up a story from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel looking at pre-draft scouting reports on Rodgers. In hindsight, quite a few teams got it wrong on the 2011 NFL MVP. “I think he has a good chance of being a bust. Just like every other (Jeff) Tedford-coached quarterback,” one NFC scout told the Journal Sentinel’s Bob McGinn. “Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot. He doesn’t have great ability to change the release of the football.” Another scout was even harsher. “He’s a system quarterback,” an AFC scout told McGinn. “3-, 5-, 7-step guy. Can’t create on his own. Panics under pressure. Gets flustered easy. I don’t think there’s a quarterback in the draft worthy of a first-round pick. I’m dead serious. None of them are worth it.” Another evaluator compared Rodgers to quarterbacking luminaries such as Kyle Boller and Joey Harrington.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/11/aaron-rodgers-pre-draft-scouting-reports-system-quarterback-likely-bust/

I will say this......There was far less known about Rodgers when he came out than what is known about Mariota coming into the 2015 draft.......so it would seem plausible that opinions were off the mark. This guy has been there for all to see and all you have seen to date is a system QB who only knows giant sized passing windows and defenders that by and large cannot match his foot speed. He won't have that luxury at the next level. He has yet to demonstrate he can win from the pocket and that is why any projection of him being an NFL success are premature. He certainly won't be ready on day 1.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 12:02

Seaver wrote:If I'm an owner and my GM picks Mariota with a top 10 pick........he's fired.  I don't know what those who like Mariota are basing their pick on - he has YET to show anything that resembles what an NFL QB is required to perform.  That's not a knock against the kid, but he hasn't been exposed to what is required.  He is an UNKNOWN.  He is no less of a risk than taking some kid in the 4th-5th-6th-7th round.......except he comes at the cost of passing on premium talent at another position.  

Those supporting Mariota are blind guessing........I'm not prepared to do that at #6.

All I'm saying is this: if the Jets feel better about Amari Cooper (for example) than either QB, take Cooper. Don't just take a QB because you're feeling lucky in Vegas.
    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 12:06

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    Seaver wrote:If I'm an owner and my GM picks Mariota with a top 10 pick........he's fired.  I don't know what those who like Mariota are basing their pick on - he has YET to show anything that resembles what an NFL QB is required to perform.  That's not a knock against the kid, but he hasn't been exposed to what is required.  He is an UNKNOWN.  He is no less of a risk than taking some kid in the 4th-5th-6th-7th round.......except he comes at the cost of passing on premium talent at another position.  

All I'm saying is this: if the Jets feel better about Amari Cooper (for example) than either QB, take Cooper. Don't just take a QB because you're feeling lucky in Vegas.

I agree. I just think if it's close then you have to take the QB. If they don't like Mariota and have him rated lower than you shouldn't force it.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 12:45

I am not sure if the Bowles hire affects the 6th pick but a sharp personell man like Maccagnan might want to try and turn the 6th pick with no true franchise QB available in to a couple of 1sts
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 12:49

Pointdexter wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

I agree. I just think if it's close then you have to take the QB.  If they don't like Mariota and have him rated lower than you shouldn't force it.

sounds good to me......and I'm leaving room for Mariota to wow all the scouts and skeptics over the the next couple months......if he answers the tough questions with his abilities, then maybe he merit the pick, but based alone on what he has done to date, he is an unknown for the next level.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 12:50

NickSINYC wrote:

I am not sure if the Bowles hire affects the 6th pick but a sharp personell man like Maccagnan might want to try and turn the 6th pick with no true franchise QB available in to a couple of 1sts

I'm on board...but at #6....is there a guy that merits such a trade?
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 14:51

I couldn't disagree more. I feel similar to Winston to how you feel about Mariota, based on what I've seen.

But with both QBs, I am more inclined to trust the experts' evaluations over my own.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 16:18

SackExchange wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. I feel similar to Winston to how you feel about Mariota, based on what I've seen.

But with both QBs, I am more inclined to trust the experts' evaluations over my own.

Really? You trust McShay and Kiper putting these guys #1 & 2 on their big boards? Seriously?

You feel NFL teams "truly" feel the top 2 players, at any position in this year's draft, are these 2? Well, Kiper and mcShay do, tells me all I need to know. I know they may go #1 and #2, because they're QBs, but they're closer to #20 than #1 in real life.

I have a hard time believing "true" big boards as of today do not have Gregory, Williams, Cooper, Beasely, and Ray towards the top, even if it doesn't shakeout like that.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 16:20

Seaver wrote:
    Pointdexter wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

I agree. I just think if it's close then you have to take the QB.  If they don't like Mariota and have him rated lower than you shouldn't force it.

sounds good to me......and I'm leaving room for Mariota to wow all the scouts and skeptics over the the next couple months......if he answers the tough questions with his abilities, then maybe he merit the pick, but based alone on what he has done to date, he is an unknown for the next level.

So true. I dont know how people who didn't like Geno as a prospect all the sudden LOVE Mariota. They have a lot of the same warts. Oh no, here comes Dan the Man.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 16:24

Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

Really?  You trust McShay and Kiper putting these guys #1 & 2 on their big boards?  Seriously?

You feel NFL teams "truly" feel the top 2 players, at any position in this year's draft, are these 2?  Well, Kiper and mcShay do, tells me all I need to know.  I know they may go #1 and #2, because they're QBs, but they're closer to #20 than #1 in real life.

I have a hard time believing "true" big boards as of today do not have Gregory, Williams, Cooper, Beasely, and Ray towards the top, even if it doesn't shakeout like that.

QBs due tend to be drafted higher than their actual overall ranking. It's not right but it happens
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 20:33

Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

Really?  You trust McShay and Kiper putting these guys #1 & 2 on their big boards?  Seriously?

You feel NFL teams "truly" feel the top 2 players, at any position in this year's draft, are these 2?  Well, Kiper and mcShay do, tells me all I need to know.  I know they may go #1 and #2, because they're QBs, but they're closer to #20 than #1 in real life.

I said experts, not TV personalities. I'm talking about the teams' boards, not ESPN's.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 21:15

SackExchange wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

I said experts, not TV personalities. I'm talking about the teams' boards, not ESPN's.

Very Happy Just checking. I think there are a few around that feel those fellas are experts.

Remember when that idiot seriously thought Manti Teo should go #1 overall?

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/11/15/3650630/mel-kiper-nfl-draft-chiefs-manti-teo
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 21:53

I think when you start getting paid to evaluate college players, then you have the cred to call someone else who gets paid (and paid very well) to do it an idiot. I'm no particular fan of Mel Kiper, he's in the entertainment business not the scouting business, but I think he probably knows more about the football business than you or any of us armchair scouts give him credit for. Let's be fair--he pretty much single-handedly brought the murky evaluation process to the TV screen and has made a pretty darn good career out of it at ESPN. Whatever else he is, he's no idiot.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 22:00

Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

Very Happy Just checking.  I think there are a few around that feel those fellas are experts.

Remember when that idiot seriously thought Manti Teo should go #1 overall?

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/11/15/3650630/mel-kiper-nfl-draft-chiefs-manti-teo
    HA! rotflmao

I had forgotten about that. Teo a top pick? For headlines, maybe, but not for a team that puts football first.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 22:01

GratefulJet wrote:I think when you start getting paid to evaluate college players, then you have the cred to call someone else who gets paid (and paid very well) to do it an idiot. I'm no particular fan of Mel Kiper, he's in the entertainment business not the scouting business, but I think he probably knows more about the football business than you or any of us armchair scouts give him credit for. Let's be fair--he pretty much single-handedly brought the murky evaluation process to the TV screen and has made a pretty darn good career out of it at ESPN. Whatever else he is, he's no idiot.
    He's no idiot, but if he was a genius, he would have his choice of 32 employers.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 22:12

SackExchange wrote:
    GratefulJet wrote:I think when you start getting paid to evaluate college players, then you have the cred to call someone else who gets paid (and paid very well) to do it an idiot. I'm no particular fan of Mel Kiper, he's in the entertainment business not the scouting business, but I think he probably knows more about the football business than you or any of us armchair scouts give him credit for. Let's be fair--he pretty much single-handedly brought the murky evaluation process to the TV screen and has made a pretty darn good career out of it at ESPN. Whatever else he is, he's no idiot.
    He's no idiot, but if he was a genius, he would have his choice of 32 employers.

He's an entertainer...no more, no less.

There are teams with legit scouts that are all superior at what he does on TV than him...but he's a showman with slick hair that delivers his opinion well...but when it comes to delivering scouting reports, he's no different from you and me...

...he's an arm chair GM like me and you, and if that impresses you, fine...but you don't read of any teams bringing him in as a consultant for a reason...teams laugh at his shenanigans and people who think it’s more than that.

Anyone can think otherwise all they want, but when you say stupid things like Teo should go #1, every team in the NFL knows you're that, an entertainer, arm chair GM, that could never be a scout or evaluator of college talent.

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 22:26

Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

There are teams with legit scouts that are all superior at what he does on TV than him...but he's a showman with slick hair that delivers his opinion well...but when it comes to delivering scouting reports, he's no different from you and me...

...he's an arm chair GM like me and you, and if that impresses you, fine...but you don't read of any teams bringing him in as a consultant for a reason...teams laugh at his shenanigans and people who think it’s more than that.

Anyone can think otherwise all they want, but when you say stupid things like Teo should go #1, every team in the NFL knows you're that, an entertainer, arm chair GM, that could never be a scout or evaluator of college talent.  

Yes, as I said, he's in the entertainment business, but unlike you and me, he's been pretty successful at it and I respect him for that. And like all GMs, he whiffs now and then. One thing there's no doubt, he popularized watching player film.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 22:36

GratefulJet wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

Yes, as I said, he's in the entertainment business, but unlike you and me, he's been pretty successful at it and I respect him for that. And like all GMs, he whiffs now and then. One thing there's no doubt, he popularized watching player film.
    But not Kiper, us, nor any other armchair GMs watch the same film the front offices do, or truly break it down the way front offices and coaching staffs do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 8 May 2024 - 10:11