Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+21
Pointdexter
lnap23
jetfandreamer
AFA2017
jamesfyo123
McJet
Sarge
cysporsche
GratefulJet
Seaver
Old#15
LIJETFAN
NickSINYC
football51
The Wicker Man
SackExchange
MachinaVerde
HYATT™
NYJETSDAN16
hobson54
Superman55
25 posters

2015 NFL Draft Thread

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

2015 NFL Draft Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: 2015 NFL Draft Thread

Post by NickSINYC Sat 20 Dec 2014 - 20:23

football51 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:Anyone have an updated draft order after the Jags win?

Not until after sunday's games are official. However, it was reported that had we lost to the Titans, we would've been picking ahead of the Jaguars. So, I'm assuming that when the Pats beat us this weekend, we'll be picking 5th and the Jags will be 6th(guessing Washington will be 4th).

Redskins beating Eagles today helps
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 9:26

One thing I forgot till reading today's post was during the contract extension news conference for Rex Idzik announced that he hitched his wagon to Rex and as long as he's here Rex will be here.

I completely forgot that but Idzik sure did say that.

I think a bad showing Christmas week at home vs the hated Patriots sinks them both. Jets need. Good showing today to save Idzik.

Say what you want about Rex, but I bet Woody doesn't like the fact as soon as they fire Rex he'll be a top 3 coaching option for almost every team with an opening..,ahead of names like Shannahan, Holmgren, and Gruden. I'm not saying he's on those levels, I'm saying he's that hot a name. I do bet that bothers Woody a little he'll be firing a perceived asset. You don't hear many people outside of Seattle talking up how much better we'll be with Idzik and no Rex...just vice versa on how much better Rex will be away from Idzik and the Jets.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 9:31

NickSINYC wrote:
    football51 wrote:

Not until after sunday's games are official. However, it was reported that had we lost to the Titans, we would've been picking ahead of the Jaguars. So, I'm assuming that when the Pats beat us this weekend, we'll be picking 5th and the Jags will be 6th(guessing Washington will be 4th).

This made me so happy. Honestly though, would nt it feel good to beat the Pats today. I'd love to say even in a down year, we told Belichick to go f himself, and helped Denver get home field. Sorry it would hurt our draft position, but I'd have a smile on my face all week.

Nevertheless, we likely lose and the skins win:

Keeps RG3 far away
    Likely moves us into the top 5

All good news.

Oh, what type of season has DJax had?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 10:18

If you're in the Jets need Mariota boat, I think you have to hope Titans get #1 pick. Won't be shocked if they trade back and build around Mettenberger. Whisenhunt is talking him up a lot today online...almost like he doesn't want Winston or Mariota. He said today his offseason priority is continuing to mold Mettenberger. I think they will sell they are in the market for QB then trade back and grab Cooper or OL.

Mettenberger as a traditional pocket passer really fits Whisenhunt, IMO.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 11:54

2 great saturday NFL games yesterday. If we sit @ #5, what are our chances of moving down ?

@ 5 we won't get Mariota, Winston or Cooper. I want Cooper just like I wanted Odell Beckham Jr. WR last year. If Percy does not budge off his 10 million let him walk. He's been great for us, but so was Holmes before dumb ass Tannenbaum rewarded him with a 50 million contract. I'm afraid Harvin is show casing his God given talents for other teams next year, and he has no intention of wanting to return as a NY Jet.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 16:17

NickSINYC wrote:
    football51 wrote:

With our loss today, are we at pick #4 or #5? I saw the CBS graphic last sunday that had we lost, having the same record as the Jaguars, we would've picked ahead of them at #2.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 16:21

football51 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    football51 wrote:

With our loss today, are we at pick #4 or #5? I saw the CBS graphic last sunday that had we lost, having the same record as the Jaguars, we would've picked ahead of them at #2.

Not sure how it shakes out as Hobs pointed out it comes down to SOS and we had the Pats this week Jags had Titans
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 16:33

I think we can get Cooper at #5 unless someone trades up ahead of us.  The 2 QBs and the big DE Gregory are probably locks to go in the top 4
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 16:38

Sarge wrote:I think we can get Cooper at #5 unless someone trades up ahead of us.  The 2 QBs and the big DE Gregory are probably locks to go in the top 4

Raiders will draft Cooper... I just feel it in my bones!! Why? Cause I want Cooper more than anyone else in this draft!!
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 19:35

Raiders might be picking after Jets after beating Buffalo.
    McJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by McJet Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 20:01

i think the Jets just moved into the #4 spot.
    Cooper or Gregory...
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 20:26

Looks like it's definitely 4 for now

nyjetscap @nyjetscap  ·  30m 30 minutes ago
    #Jets now sit at number 4 in the draft order. Can get to 3 with loss and Jaguars win http://overthecap.com/2015-nfl-draft-selection-tracker/
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 20:39

If we get to #3, we'll have a pretty good shot at one of the QBs. Certainly would make a trade to #1 doable.

The notion of Gregory really rankles, given we've drafted DEs with two of our last three top picks (Coples and Richardson) already. Coples seems miscast at OLB. Would prefer to see him play DE. Position just isn't a need.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 20:43

GratefulJet wrote:If we get to #3, we'll have a pretty good shot at one of the QBs. Certainly would make a trade to #1 doable.

The notion of Gregory really rankles, given we've drafted DEs with two of our last three top picks (Coples and Richardson) already. Coples seems miscast at OLB. Would prefer to see him play DE.  Position just isn't a need.

Agree prefer to stay away from D-linemen in the 1st round

Coples looked good at DE last week filling in for Wilkerson. Lets hope the new HC plays a 4-3
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 21:14

We're 3-12, unless a QB falls in our lap, we have to go best player available with every pick. Let's not reach at #3

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 21:20

Sarge wrote:We're 3-12, unless a QB falls in our lap, we have to go best player available with every pick. Let's not reach at #3

If the Jets take Gregory, how do we utilize all these players: Gregory, Richardson, Wilkerson, Coples, Harrison, Ellis, Douzable? That's 7 guys for a 3 to 4-man front. Be a lot of talent sitting on the bench one way or the other.

Meanwhile all we have are Davis and Harris at MLB, and ?? at OLB? Seems like we're just way too concentrated on DL to the detriment of the rest of the defense, let alone the offense.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 21:24

That would be a great problem to have IMHO

If Gregory is the top player on the board we have to take him, dude is a beast - Brady would never complete another drop back pass against us!
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 21:48

Well, I am in agreement about BPA being the guiding rule. Just hate the fact we're so DL-centric these last few years with our top picks. The O has really suffered from neglect on draft day, as has our LB corps.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 22:46

I"m not a believer in the BPA theory. I prefer to improve top weaknesses. Gregory DE will move to OLB in the NFL; however, I still want Cooper.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 1:12

I think there's a pretty solid chance now that Mariota will be there when the Jets pick in the first round. Tennessee is the wild card here. Tampa Bay will almost definitely take one of the two QBs, unless they decide to trade out of the spot, but that's unlikely. If the Titans decide to give Mettenberger a year and spend the pick on a more sure thing like Gregory (they need a pass rusher in the worst way), with Jacksonville ahead of us set with Bortles, we will surely have a shot at one of the top two QBs. Which one is anyone's guess right now. I could see TB going with either of Mariota or Winston, depending on the bowl game performances and the combine/pro day workouts. Have to think neither QB will throw at the combine, so it will be up to how they set up their pro day workouts to feature each guy's strengths and minimize their weaknesses, perceived or otherwise. If Winston can ease concerns about his character, and has a good playoff sequence, I could see him being the overall #1. Tennessee could decide they'd rather stay with Mettenberger than take a chance on Mariota. Jax will almost certainly stick with Bortles, so then Mariota falls to us. Do we take him?

In terms of teams who could trade up, Cleveland holds two picks (#14 and 16 currently) and thus has the ammo, but do they have the desire? They're presumably not in the market for a QB, so which prospect would galvanize them to make such a trade? There really isn't anyone that compelling, and so they fade as a potential trade partner in my book. The only teams that will be interested in trading up will be teams in need of a QB, and there aren't any sure things this year at QB, and besides, we need a QB about as much as anyone else, so it would depend on Jacksonville or perhaps Tennessee's interest in trading down.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 6:48

GratefulJet wrote:
    Sarge wrote:We're 3-12, unless a QB falls in our lap, we have to go best player available with every pick. Let's not reach at #3

If the Jets take Gregory, how do we utilize all these players: Gregory, Richardson, Wilkerson, Coples, Harrison, Ellis, Douzable? That's 7 guys for a 3 to 4-man front. Be a lot of talent sitting on the bench one way or the other.

Meanwhile all we have are Davis and Harris at MLB, and ?? at OLB? Seems like we're just way too concentrated on DL to the detriment of the rest of the defense, let alone the offense.

I'm not sure who to trade, but we may find a willing trade partner with Rex's next team. If this kid Gregory is too good to pass up, then maybe you take him and trade anyone not named MoWilk or Richardson for a pick.
    AFA2017
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by AFA2017 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 7:19

So the opinions of almost all of you are not to take an OG at #4, even though he may be one of the best at his position. I agree taking an OG early has always been "NO"! I remember when we took Santana Moss ahead of OG Hutchinson at 18 or 19. Hutchinson was a beast for 10-12 yrs. Granted it was near the middle of the draft. I don't want Defense. Either QB, OL and WR Cooper are a must for the Jets. There were a couple of you who dead set against taking a certain WR who the Giants grabbed in last yrs Draft. I would rather go BPA, but at Offense not Defense!
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 9:45

AFA2017 wrote:So the opinions of almost all of you are not to take an OG at #4, even though he may be one of the best at his position. I agree taking an OG early has always been "NO"! I remember when we took Santana Moss ahead of OG Hutchinson at 18 or 19. Hutchinson was a beast for 10-12 yrs. Granted it was near the middle of the draft. I don't want Defense. Either QB, OL and WR Cooper are a must for the Jets. There were a couple of you who dead set against taking a certain WR who the Giants grabbed in last yrs Draft. I would rather go BPA, but at Offense not Defense!

I was on the ODB bandwagon weeks before the draft, and I am sure Idzik had an eye on him. Not only was no one mocking him that early (#12) in the draft, but everyone had the Giants going OL with their pick. You really can't fault Idzik for not trading up to get ODB--virtually every mock had him falling at least to us at #18, some much further.

Who is the OG of whom you speak? Scherff, who played LT for the Hawkeyes? We assume he will play G and play well, but he hasn't played there yet.
    AFA2017
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by AFA2017 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 11:12

I am referring to Sherff. He is projected to be an OG. I do not fault Idzik for not trading up for Beckham. I was just stating that there were a few posters on here last year who wanted NO part of Beckham. Its turning out that he may have been the steal of the Draft. I'm not sold on either of the QB's and I hate to waste a high pick on a QB who may be another Geno Smith or Ryan Leaf. Depends where we finally end up after next weeks games in the Draft order. Where not going to compete next year so we might as well stock early Rd draft picks. It all depends on who is bright enough on the Jets staff in choosing these soon to be prospects. Personally, there are some posters on this board who seem to recognize talented players better than are our own GM & Scouts!
    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 12:37

When is the last time the Pats spent a 1st round pick at OL?  Their strategy of filling out their OL later in the draft and FA seems to be working fine the last 10 or so years.  If there is an Orlando Pace then you have to take him but there is no one close to that level in this draft.

This draft is very simple for the Jets in the 1st round.  You have to either take one of the QB's or Amari Cooper.  It's that simple.  We have been without an adequate QB for so long in this league.  If Winston/Mariota grades out high enough after the combines and workouts, and they are sitting there at #4, you take your guy.  If not, Cooper is a helluva consolation prize to turn around our sorry ass offense.

No way in hell do you go defense.  It's time to show we care about offense too at Jets 1 Place.  OL can be addressed in FA.  Mike Iupati (UFA) would go a long way to fixing our guard problem.

Last edited by Pointdexter on Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 13:44; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 21:06