Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+13
Metjetgal
jamesfyo123
hobson54
NYJETSDAN16
NCgreen12
LIJETFAN
Atljet60
football51
trico990
SackExchange
danfran
soj
Superman55
17 posters

Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason

NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason - Page 4 Empty Re: Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sat 4 Oct 2014 - 9:37

Superman55 wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

What a loser, no wonder you like Geno, You can't handle pressure.  That's how you handle a rebuttle? Your a joke 55.  Keep posting articles on how your daddy Geno is "progressing" and how he feels like "He'll be an elite QB" one day.
    Hell, the more i think about it. i think he guiding his "F" bomb towards you in order to get off his Anaconda you seem to be latching on to.

Well, Dan, I think you've made your point, you don't like Geno.  I think every single thread on this page has a post from you saying you don't like geno.  That's fine.  I think you fall in line with 90% of the jets fanbase.  I also think that's fine.

As the Qb, of course his mistakes are amplified, he wasn't very accurate last game, and when he was, it didn't matter much.  

You know, like Geno, I still like Eric Decker.  He dropped 3 balls last game, including a huge sideline route on the last drive that would have been a 30 yard reception.  I don't see a bunch of "Decker is a bum posts," because he's a WR, they drop balls.  Read Namath's quotes today, he was actualy spot on for a change.

The blame, no matter how much you try, isn't solely on Geno.  It just isn't.

* we have 12 pick not producing at all
    * we have $21.5 mill less talent on our roster than every team we play against
    * we have a secondary without a single pick or game changing play, only us and 1 other team have that issue
    * we have a young QB that needs to improve his accuracy and consistency...while he is still completing over 60% of his passes, the highest comp % we've had in 6 seasons
    * We dont have reliable pass catchers, a homerun threat on offense, or guys who can get open outside of Decker...
    * our oline has been shaky pass protecting at best
    * we have too many penalties to overcome with this level of talent on our roster

It's not excuses, its multiple facets of our team failing and leading to losses.  As Namath said yesterday, sure woudl help if Geno was more accurate, which would happen if he had more time to throw, and when he does throw...it would be nice if his $8 mill per year WR caught the ball too, and it would help if they had more than 1 WR that is a reliable target even when he's off his game...and we have $21.5 million in the bank on money with an expiration date that vanishes when not spent.

Believe it or not, there is plenty of blame to go around...

So let me get this straight. You want to place the blame else where rather than the your Idol Geno Smith?
    Last year many including myself stated that the talent around Geno was horrendous and we as fans could not assess him fairly.
    Idzik, the one you continue to chastize as some how the way you portray him being cheap and not spending, has surrounded Geno with ample talent.
    Decker
    Amaro
    CJ2K
    A healthy Chris Ivory
    A healthy Jeff Cumberland (re-signed)
    Then you have supporting Wide outs that do contribute when Geno has one of those "Accurate" moments.  See Greg Salas what he can do when the ball gets to him?

Idzik stated that he will build this team through the draft and will be dilligent in signing free agents.  Yet when we had Mike (Spending spree) Tannenbaum, People such as your self bitched how we had no cap room as we kept sigining free agent after free agent.

Plus, your judging this draft class after 4 games? That seems a little hypocritical since you want to give Geno the rest of the year (two full ones for that matter) to properly judge him.

Yea, totally Rex's , idziks, the defense, Obama's, ISIS's, the Ebola' viruses fault for Geno to continue to average 2-3 turn overs per game.
    Sleep

I'm sorry, Dan.  You're right.  The only thing wrong with the 1-3 Jets is Geno Smith.  You figured it out.  You should work for ESPN you're so smart...

Oh on the contrary, you should figure out a way how to be a congress man, you deflect facts like no ones business. Hell the way you try to blame Idzik/ Rex for Geno's struggles is pure comedy at it's best, when will you be performing at "Carolines"?
    clown
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason - Page 4 Empty Re: Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason

Post by SackExchange Sat 4 Oct 2014 - 19:55

I'm so glad this board is nothing like JetsInsider.

Guys, seriously, lay off. The bickering is just stupid, and it's ruining what we are trying to build here.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 5 Oct 2014 - 11:03

Sunday notes: Jets' selection of Jalen Saunders a whiff for the ages
    October, 5, 2014
    OCT 5
    5:00
    AM ET
    By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
    50COMMENTS4EMAILPRINT
    SAN DIEGO -- A look at what's going on around and inside the New York Jets:

1. The demise of Saunders:: Jalen Saunders never will be mentioned with Vernon Gholston and Blair Thomas as all-time draft busts, but his release was stunning in its own right. He was picked near the top of the fourth round (104th overall), becoming the highest-drafted player in 2014 to be cut by his team. I checked the records to find out the last time the Jets gave up so quickly on a fourth-round pick or higher, and I came up with wide receiver Reggie Rembert (second round, 1990), who was traded in his first training camp. Prior to Rembert, you have to go back to 1986, when tackle Doug Williams (second round) was cut in camp.

Saunders
    The Jets drafted Saunders with the idea that he would return punts and back up slot receiver Jeremy Kerley, perhaps taking over the slot in 2015. (Kerley is a free agent). But Saunders wasn't nearly as explosive as the team's draft reports had indicated, sources said. The only reason he made the team was because of his punt-returning ability, but he never showed any elusiveness. When he muffed punts in back-to-back games, he became expendable.

That's a big miss by general manager John Idzik and his scouts, especially when you consider it was one of the deepest wide-receiver drafts in recent memory. Saunders, now a member of the Arizona Cardinals' practice squad, went unclaimed on waivers -- an indication the rest of the league doesn't think much of him.

2. Is Vick the answer? The Jets are quick to say they believe Michael Vick, 34, still can play at a high level, but his most recent work suggests otherwise. In his final 16 starts with the Philadelphia Eagles, Vick went 5-11 with 20 turnovers. Privately, there are some at One Jets Drive who wonder if he would be an upgrade over the struggling Geno Smith, a sentiment shared by one longtime front-office executive who keeps a close eye on the Jets.

Vick
    Vick
    "Vick isn't what he was," he said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Nobody fears him as a runner anymore and he's not good in the pocket. He's very defendable. I don't get this perception that he's the savior. It's a myth, a media myth. He's not saving anybody's job. He's a Band-Aid."

Here's my take: I agree that Vick isn't the Vick of 2010, but he could provide a lift out of the bullpen. If Smith is struggling and/or the offense is flatlining Sunday against the San Diego Chargers, why not turn to Vick? We're not talking about a permanent gig, just a relief appearance. The idea is to win the game and worry about the fallout later.

3. Numbers don't add up: The Jets are having a weird season. By that, I mean they are doing things that defy the tenets of football. Consider:
    They put pressure on the opposing quarterback more often than any team, but they have yet to intercept a pass. "It really is hard to explain," coach Rex Ryan said. The Jets generate pressure on 33.1 percent of pass plays, slightly better than the J.J. Watt-led Houston Texans, according to ESPN Stats & Information. But they haven't picked off any of the 146 passes.
    With such a strong pass rush, the Jets should be killing it on third down, but they have allowed five touchdowns on third down, tied for the most.

Smith
    Smith hasn't made any big mistakes on third down, usually the hardest down for a quarterback, but he's a mess on all other downs. On third down, Smith has four touchdown passes and no interceptions. The only other quarterback with more touchdowns and no interceptions is Aaron Rodgers (before Thursday night). On the other downs, however, Smith has no touchdowns and five interceptions. Seems to me that Marty Mornhinweg should be running more on first and second down.
    4. Positive Geno: Smith is 20 starts into his career, and we can report that the second 10 were slightly better than the first 10 -- at least from a touchdown-interception standpoint. First 10 starts: Eight touchdowns, 16 interceptions. Second 10 starts: Eight touchdowns, 10 interceptions. So there's that.

5. An un-Rex-like trend: Maybe you have noticed, maybe you haven't, but the Jets have played more zone than usual. Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman acknowledged the subtle shift, saying, "We’re still going to be true to who we are ... but, yeah, we’re mixing in a little bit more zone than we have in the past." He said they are doing it to break tendencies. The unspoken reason is they are trying to camouflage deficiencies in the secondary. Obviously, zone coverage requires more communication than man-to-man, which may explain some of the mental mistakes.

6. The Missiles of October: So here we go, the Jets have reached the so-called killer portion of their schedule, facing Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in a span of 11 days. Looking for a silver lining? Three of Ryan's four playoff wins have come against those quarterbacks.

7. Revolving door of receivers: T.J. Graham and Chris Owusu, both signed this week, became the 15th and 16th wide receivers on the 53-man roster over the past 20 games -- a stunning amount of turnover. Who can forget immortals such as Ben Obomanu, Ryan Spadola and Michael Campbell? If Geno Smith wants to use naughty words, he should curse the lack of continuity in his receiving corps.

8. Money matters: Much like they did last season with Nelson, an in-season addition, the Jets signed Graham and Owusu to two-year contracts for the minimum salaries and no guarantees. Fullback John Conner signed a one-year deal for the minimum.

Decker
    9. All hands on Deck-er? It will be interesting to see if Eric Decker plays Sunday and, if so, how much and how well. There was a sense in Denver, his previous address, that his dropped passes were more likely to occur when he was battling injuries. He didn't disprove that theory last week, dropping two against the Detroit Lions after returning from a hamstring injury. The Jets face the Broncos next week, so you wonder if that will be in the back of his mind in San Diego. You can bet he will want to be as close to 100 percent as possible for that one.

10. Trader John: Idzik's honeymoon is over. He is experiencing the wrath of the New York fans and media for his cap management and personnel decisions, but let's give credit where it's due. How 'bout the Chris Ivory trade last year? Idzik traded a fourth-round pick for Ivory, signed him to a team-friendly contract (three years, $6 million) and now look: He's easily the offensive MVP at the quarter mark, maybe the MVP of the entire team.

11. Woody drops the ball: I don't think owner Woody Johnson distinguished himself by the way he handled questions about the domestic-violence issue. He scolded his quarterback for cursing a fan, but he evaded questions on whether he would cut a player if the player was convicted of domestic violence. Right now, he has the Quincy Enunwa situation. Two years ago, Bryan Thomas was arrested for domestic violence during the season and he was allowed to continue playing. Johnson said he couldn't remember the details of the incident. Obviously, this is a complicated issue from a league perspective, but Johnson missed a chance to take a strong stand.

12. A football tragedy in our backyard: Condolences to the family and teammates of Tom Cutinella, who died Wednesday after suffering a head injury in a high-school game. He played for Shoreham-Wading River High, located on Long Island's east end. From all accounts, he was the model son and student-athlete. Such a sad story.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 6:46

Geno or Vick, doesn't matter, Jets worse constructed team in the AFC:

http://nypost.com/2014/10/06/vick-or-geno-it-doesnt-matter-this-team-is-the-afcs-worst/

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 15:04

You cannot win with this GM. I had a sliver of hope, after reading the Emmanuel Sanders details below, he is not an NFL GM....period. It was 100% confident last February, by the end of the draft I had 50% confidence in Idzik because he did so poorly in free agency and the draft...but when you consistently miss free agent visits from players, or ask free agents to essentially "I'll get to you when I get to you," that's not the pace of the NFL, that's the pace of the grass growing on the side walk, where he belongs.

Consider the source if you want, but if Emmanuel Sanders was trying to sign here, and he pushed it off (note we have $24 mill in cap space) and Sanders signed for 3 years and under $18 mill (if he hits every incentive, it is $18 mill)...and we wouldn't even talk to the guy...wow....wow...

NY Jets failings can all be traced back to GM John Idzik's many gaffes
    The Jets are perilously close to plunging into irrelevance weeks before Halloween, thanks partly to Idzik’s poor personnel decisions, curious handling of the salary cap and lack of urgency during what was billed by owner Woody Johnson last spring as a win-now season.
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, October 4, 2014, 2:00 PM A A A
    SHARE THIS URL

Outside of using draft pick Jets received in Darrelle Revis deal on 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year Sheldon Richardson, John Idzik era has been marked by head-scratching decisions in fast-paced NFL world.
    RON ANTONELLI/GETTY IMAGES
    Outside of using draft pick Jets received in Darrelle Revis deal on 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year Sheldon Richardson, John Idzik era has been marked by head-scratching decisions in fast-paced NFL world.
    John Idzik emerged from the Jets’ 19-day search for a general manager last year with plenty of questions surrounding him. His reputation as a rigid salary-cap manager preceded him, but there were justified concerns about a lack of scouting knowledge that have been exposed in the past 20 months.

The Jets are perilously close to plunging into irrelevance weeks before Halloween, thanks partly to Idzik’s poor personnel decisions, curious handling of the salary cap and lack of urgency during what was billed by owner Woody Johnson last spring as a win-now season.

From Idzik’s swings and misses in the draft to his frugal free-agency plan this offseason to a growing believability gap every time he speaks, a troubling picture is coming into focus.

Idzik works under rolling deadlines, apparently immune or oblivious to the realities of frustrated PSL owners doling out big money for a diminished product. The Jets have the sixth-highest average non-premium ticket price in the NFL ($105.66), 25% more than the league average ($84.43), according to teammarketingreport.com, yet the team has the lowest cash payroll ($95.2 million), according to spotrac.com.

Idzik has the second largest salary cap surplus in the league ($24.3 million, per NFLPA records), leaving many to wonder if he was ever fully invested in helping Rex Ryan make the playoffs in 2014.

Ryan reportedly told his players before a home game against the Browns last December that “word on the street” was that he might be getting fired. The Jets saved his job by rallying to win three of the four final games.

Idzik, of course, could have easily quashed rumors that he had reached out to head coaching candidates, but instead offered this telling response after the season: “I’m not going to comment on anything that we may or may not have discussed internally. That’s for us and for our ears only.”

Translation: You got me.

Idzik, who declined a Daily News request to be interviewed for this story, has made a litany of personnel gaffes in free agency and the draft that have only served to make Ryan’s job more difficult.

Jets GM John Idzik
    AP
    Jets GM John Idzik
    The GM’s modus operandi has been to dole out cheap contracts to second/third-tier-or-older players with diminishing skills, many of whom have burned the organization with off-the-field issues or lack of production. Idzik hasn’t been able to adjust to a fast-moving free-agent market or adequately replenish Ryan’s roster with 19 draft picks.

Idzik’s biggest achievement was drafting DL Sheldon Richardson, who came at the hefty price of trading away Pro Bowler Darrelle Revis. The Jets cut 2014 fourth-round pick Jalen Saunders, the second piece of that trade with the Buccaneers, this week.
    Idzik made the smart choice to trade a 2013 fourth-round pick for RB Chris Ivory.

Those two moves, however, are outweighed by a string of miscues that has left Ryan with a pedestrian roster. Idzik’s choices reveal shortcomings in talent evaluation, character judgment and overall awareness of personnel needs within the team’s offensive and defensive schemes. These range from off-field incidents involving running back Mike Goodson and tight end Kellen Winslow to bargain-hunting misfires such as quarterback David Garrard, wide receivers Braylon Edwards and Ben Obomanu and cornerback Dimitri Patterson.

Idzik addressed the cavernous hole at WR this offseason by only signing Eric Decker, who has been hampered by a hamstring issue and is on pace for 56 receptions, 816 yards and eight touchdowns.

Emmanuel Sanders, who leads the NFL with 8.3 receptions per game, wanted to visit during free agency, but the meeting was pushed back because Idzik prioritized attending Texas Tech’s Pro Day. Sanders never made it to Florham Park, signing with the Broncos.

Idzik whiffed on all three receivers in the draft. None (Saunders, Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa) remains on the 53-man roster. Practice squader Enunwa is dealing with an ongoing domestic violence matter.

Idzik’s most egregious offseason failing centered on his inability to sign a viable veteran cornerback. His lack of understanding of the market coupled with stubbornness cost the Jets at the most important position in Ryan’s defense.

After cutting Antonio Cromartie without making a concrete offer to bring him back at a reduced rate — he’s playing at a Pro-Bowl level after signing a 1-year, $3.5 million deal with the Cardinals — Idzik botched the free-agent cornerback situation in epic fashion.

He didn’t land Vontae Davis and never opened the door for a reunion with Revis. He low-balled Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie before scrambling in the 11th hour after the Giants made a fair offer. “Rex is pissed,” a friend of Ryan’s told The News at the time.
    Ryan wasn’t the only person in the organization perturbed at the GM.

Idzik settled on Patterson, who was soon gone. “Patterson was always trash,” one talent evaluator told The News after the head case was cut. “He’s a fifth corner at best.”

Agents questioned Idzik’s negotiating tactics throughout free agency, claiming that he strung them along with vague promises of interest in their clients with the hope that other teams would lose patience and move on. When the market dried up, they surmised, Idzik would come in with a low-ball offer. One high-ranking Jets front office official apologized to at least one agent for the questionable practice.

Idzik has denied any unethical tactics.

Woody Johnson backed off his commendable win-now stance from March a few days ago, echoing Idzik’s “sustainable success” platform. The owner wants the Jets to build through the draft, which only works if the guy in charge actually knows what he’s doing.

Richardson is the only impact player to this point out of Idzik’s 19 draft picks.

“Drafting is an imperfect science,” Johnson said. “It’s an art and you’re going to win some and you’re going to lose some.”

Idzik has lost plenty to this point.

Mike Woodson is arrested on drug and weapons charges two months after Idzik signed him last year.
    KEVIN C. COX/GETTY IMAGES
    Mike Woodson is arrested on drug and weapons charges two months after Idzik signed him last year.
    His first draft choice, Dee Milliner, has predictably missed six of his first 20 games due to injuries. The arrow is pointing down on Geno Smith, the turnover-machine with one of the worst passer ratings in the league.

Idzik had enough picks (12) to control the 2014 draft, but he couldn’t make any deals for potential difference makers. Only five of the 12 picks remain on the 53-man roster. Safety Calvin Pryor and TE Jace Amaro are the only two who have played regularly.

If you think third-round CB Dex McDougle, who tore his ACL in camp, would have made an impact this season, I have some premium swampland for sale.

Idzik’s mishandling of the cornerback situation has had a ripple effect. His errors have prompted Ryan, who prefers man-to-man coverage in a single-high safety shell, to play more zone and Cover-2.

Pryor, an enforcer near the line of scrimmage at Louisville, has been marginalized by playing 15-20 yards off the line. Antonio Allen, a promising young safety, had to move to cornerback.

Idzik’s rigid financial plan has proved costly. The notion that he weaved magic to clean up a salary cap mess left by predecessor Mike Tannenbaum is beyond laughable.

Idzik quickly turned a $19.4 million deficit into a $5.7 million surplus upon his arrival with the same four cuts that any GM, including Tannenbaum, would have made last year. Releasing Jason Smith ($12M savings), Calvin Pace ($8.6M), Bart Scott ($7.2M) and Eric Smith ($3M) were the ultimate no-brainers.

Idzik inserted his foot in his mouth last year by saying that he’d have “a pretty big role” in deciding whether Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith would be the starting quarterback.

Journeyman CB Dimitri Patterson signs in April and gets dumped by the Jets in August.
    ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Journeyman CB Dimitri Patterson signs in April and gets dumped by the Jets in August.
    He insisted in his second camp that “there will be a little bit of fluctuation in reps” in the faux quarterback competition between Smith and Michael Vick. (There was no fluctuation).

He insisted there would be an “an ebb and flow” and that “I don’t think it’s tilted at all” in Smith’s favor. (There was no ebb and flow… and it was tilted in the favor of Idzik’s second-round investment).

There’s a growing credibility gap as he plods along in a fast-moving, results-oriented business. This summer Idzik maintained that he’s not measured by how he’s done in the first year and a half on the job. Everyone is measured “by how we’re doing today,” which makes him a comedian, too.

So it looks like he’s a last-place failure on Oct. 5, 2014.

“It’s a discipline to stay right in the present,” he said this summer.

He’s in no rush even as his errors pile up.

Leaders grow by showing accountability and admitting their mistakes.

John Idzik says he has no regrets.

FIVE IDZIK MOVES THAT GROUNDED JETS

QB David Garrard

Idzik’s first notable acquisition retired two months after signing due to balky knees. The 35-year-old returned five months later, but never played in a game.

RB Mike Goodson

Was arrested on drug and weapons charges two months after Idzik signed him last year. Goodson, who had been sued by three different women for unpaid child support and a jewelry store for an unpaid tab for a Breitling watch, was suspended for the first four games of 2013. He tore his ACL after two games and was cut this summer after missing mandatory minicamp.

WRs Braylon Edwards & Ben Obomanu

Idzik’s solution to address WR holes in 2013? Sign these two. Both were cut before the regular season. Obomanu returned for three weeks before getting cut again.

TE Kellen Winslow

Was suspended for four games last year for a PED violation. One week after he was reinstated, he was arrested in a Boston Market parking lot for possession of synthetic marijuana and indecent exposure (see: Mr. Happy).

CB Dimitri Patterson

Journeyman was signed in April (seventh team in 10 years). He was torched in practices, missed a couple of weeks with three different leg injuries, went AWOL before a preseason game and effectively called Idzik and Ryan liars before he was cut in August. He pocketed $1 million of Johnson’s money.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 15:40

Superman55 wrote:You cannot win with this GM.  I had a sliver of hope, after reading the Emmanuel Sanders details below, he is not an NFL GM....period.  It was 100% confident last February, by the end of the draft I had 50% confidence in Idzik because he did so poorly in free agency and the draft...but when you consistently miss free agent visits from players, or ask free agents to essentially "I'll get to you when I get to you," that's not the pace of the NFL, that's the pace of the grass growing on the side walk, where he belongs.

Consider the source if you want, but if Emmanuel Sanders was trying to sign here, and he pushed it off (note we have $24 mill in cap space) and Sanders signed for 3 years and under $18 mill (if he hits every incentive, it is $18 mill)...and we wouldn't even talk to the guy...wow....wow...

seriously???

you are gonna give any credence to what Mehta is saying? the guy who talked about the jets being in cap hell a year ago is now saying it was an easily solvable problem?

do you really think Sanders would have rather come to the Jets and play with Geno Smith than go to Denver and play with Peyton Manning?

if you do, i have that same bridge Mehta is selling to sell to you. you probably also believe Revis wanted to come back to the Jets instead of go to NE, and that the Tooth Fairy will slip a $1 under your pillow if you lose a tooth... bounce
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 16:26

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:You cannot win with this GM.  I had a sliver of hope, after reading the Emmanuel Sanders details below, he is not an NFL GM....period.  It was 100% confident last February, by the end of the draft I had 50% confidence in Idzik because he did so poorly in free agency and the draft...but when you consistently miss free agent visits from players, or ask free agents to essentially "I'll get to you when I get to you," that's not the pace of the NFL, that's the pace of the grass growing on the side walk, where he belongs.

seriously???

you are gonna give any credence to what Mehta is saying?  the guy who talked about the jets being in cap hell a year ago is now saying it was an easily solvable problem?

do you really think Sanders would have rather come to the Jets and play with Geno Smith than go to Denver and play with Peyton Manning?

if you do, i have that same bridge Mehta is selling to sell to you.  you probably also believe Revis wanted to come back to the Jets instead of go to NE, and that the Tooth Fairy will slip a $1 under your pillow if you lose a tooth... bounce

Free agency started May 11th:

He visited the Chiefs on the 11th
    49ers on the 12th
    Jaguars and Tampa on the 13th
    ...he was supposed to visit the Jets on the 14th but we cancelled because of the Texas Tech pro day
    He visited the Broncos on the 15th
    He signed with the Broncos on the 16th

The Broncos and Peyton Manning were the 5th team that got a crack at him and wasn't even first on his list of teams to visit (or 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th...)

He scheduled his visit with us first, so we would have had a crack at him first...so I don't agree that Sanders simply went into free agency and said, "Broncos have Peyton Manning, so I'll simply sign there.."

Sleep
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 16:28

btw - isn't Sanders the guy who agreed to sign with the Chiefs, but at the last minute, backed out of the deal to sign with the Broncos? but yeah, I'm sure we can believe that he would have signed with the Jets if only Idzik didn't go to Texas Tech's pro day...

btw - that tight end 55 called the next Jason Witten...I forget where exactly did he go to college???
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 16:31

Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:

seriously???

you are gonna give any credence to what Mehta is saying?  the guy who talked about the jets being in cap hell a year ago is now saying it was an easily solvable problem?

if you do, i have that same bridge Mehta is selling to sell to you.  you probably also believe Revis wanted to come back to the Jets instead of go to NE, and that the Tooth Fairy will slip a $1 under your pillow if you lose a tooth... bounce

Free agency started May 11th:

He visited the Chiefs on the 11th
    49ers on the 12th
    Jaguars and Tampa on the 13th
    ...he was supposed to visit the Jets on the 14th but we cancelled because of the Texas Tech pro day
    He visited the Broncos on the 15th
    He signed with the Broncos on the 16th

The Broncos and Peyton Manning were the 5th team that got a crack at him and wasn't even first on his list of teams to visit (or 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th...)

He scheduled his visit with us first, so we would have had a crack at him first...so I don't agree that Sanders simply went into free agency and said, "Broncos have Peyton Manning, so I'll simply sign there.."

Sleep

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/9/11/6135109/emmanuel-sanders-visits-kansas-city-chiefs-denver-broncos-free-agency

"I felt like I was a better fit here in Denver and it's obvious," Sanders said. "They throw the football."

yup - I'm sure he was licking his chops to play on the run first jets and alongside geno smith... Rolling Eyes
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 16:35

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25355128/emmanuel-sanders-broncos-new-deal

"To play with Peyton Manning is like wide receiver heaven," Sanders said. "I know that he's going to make me a better player, whether it's mentally or physically. I know I'm in a great environment."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10617385/emmanuel-sanders-denver-broncos-agree-deal

Sanders had visits with the Chiefs, San Francisco 49ers, Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Buccaneers before signing with the Broncos.

"We've always had interest all the way through free agency, Sanders said. "... Whoever the source is who said that, it's a shame on them that it had to get this out of hand."

Sanders also said when he signed with the Broncos, "I ended up with the team I wanted to be on."

yup, I'm sure he wanted to play with Geno over Manning, but damn Idzik screwed it all up by going to Texas Tech's pro day.  I mean Manish Mehta said so, so it's gotta be true...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 16:49

hobson54 wrote:http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25355128/emmanuel-sanders-broncos-new-deal

"To play with Peyton Manning is like wide receiver heaven," Sanders said. "I know that he's going to make me a better player, whether it's mentally or physically. I know I'm in a great environment."

yup, I'm sure he wanted to play with Geno, but damn Idzik screwed it all up by going to Texas Tech's pro day.  I mean Manish Mehta said so, so it's gotta be true...

Are you Mehta's ghost writer? This is some Great reporting here.

He visited 5 other teams first...some with good QBs aNd some without. What do you expect him to say after signing with Manning? I really wish the tax-less state of Florida offered me more money? What exactly is he supposed to say after signing with the broncos? Oh, exactly what he said.

Now, what did Decker say after signing here? Answer: the same thing Sanders would have said if he signed here...and if Decker signed with the Pats, his quotes would be the same as above by sanders, remove Manning insert Brady.

The fact he scheduled 5 visits before the Broncos tells me a lot more than some quotes after the fact, Mehta.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 16:57

Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_25355128/emmanuel-sanders-broncos-new-deal

yup, I'm sure he wanted to play with Geno, but damn Idzik screwed it all up by going to Texas Tech's pro day.  I mean Manish Mehta said so, so it's gotta be true...

Are you Mehta's ghost writer?  This is some Great reporting here.

He visited 5 other teams first...some with good QBs aNd some without.  What do you expect him to say after signing with Manning?  I really wish the tax-less state of Florida offered me more money?  What exactly is he supposed to say after signing with the broncos?  Oh, exactly what he said.

Now, what did Decker say after signing here?  Answer: the same thing Sanders would have said if he signed here...and if Decker signed with the Pats, his quotes would be the same as above by sanders, remove Manning insert Brady.  

The fact he scheduled 5 visits before the Broncos tells me a lot more than some quotes after the fact, Mehta.

using your logic, he scheduled 4 trips before he was theoretically supposed to visit with the jets. the niners and chiefs, both playoff teams, and the jags and bucs, teams with a lot of cap space. he had also had scheduled a visit with the broncos.

you seem to think that if only sanders had come to NY and idzik didn't re-schedule that he would signed here. why? because Mehta says so i guess.

if you were a free agent and had a chance to play with peyton manning, or play on playoff teams like the niners or chiefs, would you really come to the jets and play with geno? more likely, the jets were viewed akin to the bucs and jags - crappy teams with money to spend. and in the end, where did he go??? that's right, to the team that made the super bowl last year who has the hall of fame QB. not to the team that had the most cap space to offer him.

but mehta says he would have come here, so suddenly you are taking the hack's word as gospel. good to know you think mehta is a reliable source.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 17:10

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

He visited 5 other teams first...some with good QBs aNd some without.  What do you expect him to say after signing with Manning?  I really wish the tax-less state of Florida offered me more money?  What exactly is he supposed to say after signing with the broncos?  Oh, exactly what he said.

Now, what did Decker say after signing here?  Answer: the same thing Sanders would have said if he signed here...and if Decker signed with the Pats, his quotes would be the same as above by sanders, remove Manning insert Brady.  

using your logic, he scheduled 4 trips before he was theoretically supposed to visit with the jets.  the niners and chiefs, both playoff teams, and the jags and bucs, teams with a lot of cap space.  he had also had scheduled a visit with the broncos.  

you seem to think that if only sanders had come to NY and idzik didn't re-schedule that he would signed here.  why?  because Mehta says so i guess.

if you were a free agent and had a chance to play with peyton manning, or play on playoff teams like the niners or chiefs, would you really come to the jets and play with geno?  more likely, the jets were viewed akin to the bucs and jags - crappy teams with money to spend.  and in the end, where did he go???  that's right, to the team that made the super bowl last year who has the hall of fame QB.  not to the team that had the most cap space to offer him.

but mehta says he would have come here, so suddenly you are taking the hack's word as gospel.  good to know you think mehta is a reliable source.

You're missing the boat as an Idzik apologist.

He's an NFL GM the first week of free agency. I don't give a damn if we would have signed Sanders or not. dRC or not. But be in the f'n office when they visit. How about that? Just be in the office.

You pay scouts and have private workout for all the draft picks you want, as many as you want for all intensive purposes.

You have a small window in free agency, can I at least have the GM in the office the first week of free agency, is that asking too much? You know, come to work, be in the office, let the scouts do their job and you try doing yours? Is that too much to ask?
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 17:23

I gotta be honest, people thought last week the team was going to be scrutinized? It all starts today, Rex will get a plethora of 2nd guessing on starting Geno after missing the meeting.

Geno will get many questions that will showcase if he can handle the pressue of the NY media. Geno put this on his own self. He didn't need the extra attention missing that meeting.

The media is horrible with us as is, now it just will be amplified, ala Tebow. I honestly thought we were past this stage.

Yet i gotta say, Geno can shut the critics by demonstrating that he can be resiliant in the face of adversity this Sunday.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 20:09

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:I gotta be honest, people thought last week the team was going to be scrutinized?  It all starts today, Rex will get a plethora of 2nd guessing on starting Geno after missing the meeting.

Geno will get many questions that will showcase if he can handle the pressue of the NY media. Geno put this on his own self.  He didn't need the extra attention missing that meeting.

The media is horrible with us as is, now it just will be amplified, ala Tebow.  I honestly thought we were past this stage.

Yet i gotta say, Geno can shut the critics by demonstrating that he can be resiliant in the face of adversity this Sunday.

Sorry but I have no faith that is going to happen...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 20:38

soj wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:I gotta be honest, people thought last week the team was going to be scrutinized?  It all starts today, Rex will get a plethora of 2nd guessing on starting Geno after missing the meeting.

Geno will get many questions that will showcase if he can handle the pressue of the NY media. Geno put this on his own self.  He didn't need the extra attention missing that meeting.

The media is horrible with us as is, now it just will be amplified, ala Tebow.  I honestly thought we were past this stage.

Sorry but I have no faith that is going to happen...

I agree. We're officially the doormat of the NFL, teams now use the Jets to wipe their cleats off and ensure they're healthy for the next week. We've been turned into the Raiders East, where it's a bye week that you know the only way you're going to lose is if you you beat yourself.
    Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Metjetgal Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 20:58

I really hope we don't go 2-14. I would at least like 4 or 5 wins. Idzik gets next year, and we really better see his plan unfold. If not, I'll have no faith left in him. Time will tell, to bad he decided this yr wasn't worth anything in his plan.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 21:34

Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

using your logic, he scheduled 4 trips before he was theoretically supposed to visit with the jets.  the niners and chiefs, both playoff teams, and the jags and bucs, teams with a lot of cap space.  he had also had scheduled a visit with the broncos.  

you seem to think that if only sanders had come to NY and idzik didn't re-schedule that he would signed here.  why?  because Mehta says so i guess.

if you were a free agent and had a chance to play with peyton manning, or play on playoff teams like the niners or chiefs, would you really come to the jets and play with geno?  more likely, the jets were viewed akin to the bucs and jags - crappy teams with money to spend.  and in the end, where did he go???  that's right, to the team that made the super bowl last year who has the hall of fame QB.  not to the team that had the most cap space to offer him.

but mehta says he would have come here, so suddenly you are taking the hack's word as gospel.  good to know you think mehta is a reliable source.

He's an NFL GM the first week of free agency.  I don't give a damn if we would have signed Sanders or not.  dRC or not.  But be in the f'n office when they visit.  How about that?  Just be in the office.

You pay scouts and have private workout for all the draft picks you want, as many as you want for all intensive purposes.

You have a small window in free agency, can I at least have the GM in the office the first week of free agency, is that asking too much?  You know, come to work, be in the office, let the scouts do their job and you try doing yours?  Is that too much to ask?

You're an "Idzik apologist" if you don't call for his head right now.

This cap space and draft criticism is based on some wild notion that fans have the inside track on negotiations. It's really laughable how much some people think they know.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 22:01

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

He's an NFL GM the first week of free agency.  I don't give a damn if we would have signed Sanders or not.  dRC or not.  But be in the f'n office when they visit.  How about that?  Just be in the office.

You have a small window in free agency, can I at least have the GM in the office the first week of free agency, is that asking too much?  You know, come to work, be in the office, let the scouts do their job and you try doing yours?  Is that too much to ask?

This cap space and draft criticism is based on some wild notion that fans have the inside track on negotiations. It's really laughable how much some people think they know.

How much I know?  Clown.

I know he canceled a meeting with Emmanuel Sanders because he was on a scouting trip and wasn't even in town for negotiations with DRC....

How many GMs aren't in town for free agent visits the first week of free agency...clown GMs with clown apologists, that's who...

"the Jets offered DRC a one year prove it deal and they stuck to that, even after hearing about what the Giants offered. However, John Idzik wanted to improve his bid, but with him being in Louisville, it wouldn't have been as easy to sell a new contract to DRC."

Scouts should scout players...GMs sign them and are part of the evaluation process, not front and center...so we didn't even have real shots at DRC or Sanders because John wasn't even in town when they wanted/or did visit...  That is what a clown does, doesn't even show up when his organization needs him.

You line up behind your clown GM with your clown comments.  As I've already said, clown, I'd give him 1 more year to break his clown habits...sorry if I want a legit GM that treats free agency like a professional, not a clown.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 7 Oct 2014 - 0:29

Woody Johnson made this Jets mess
    Jets' on-field product exposes owner as the ringmaster of Gang Green's circus
    Updated: October 6, 2014, 11:53 PM ET
    By Ian O'Connor | ESPNNewYork.com
    227COMMENTS8EMAILPRINT

Big Deal For Smith To Miss A Meeting?

Herm Edwards breaks down how he would have handled Geno Smith missing a team meeting.
    Tags: NFL, Geno Smith, New York Jets, Michael Vick
    NEXT VIDEO video
    Jets Fifth Down: Week 6 Expectations
    Rex Ryan is going to be fired, a development long overdue, and his replacement is going to hunt for a franchise player to unseat the one that never was, Geno Smith. These are the predictable endgames for the 2014 New York Jets, a football team that looks more and more like an oil spill every Sunday.

Ryan and Smith occupy what are widely considered the two most important positions in the NFL, head coach and quarterback, much to the dismay of their fan base. One day after embarrassing themselves in San Diego, Ryan and Smith were at it again when the quarterback gave some dog-ate-my-filmwork reasons for taking in a Saturday movie instead of attending a meeting, and when the coach defended him, in part, by pointing out that Smith didn't miss the last team meeting, but the third-to-last team meeting.

Good heavens. Ryan said Monday it never occurred to him that, for the sake of sending the proper message on accountability to his team, benching his most important player -- a player who had earlier cursed out a fan -- was the right way to go. Of course it didn't. Ryan's a defensive coordinator masquerading as a head coach, and only those who benefit from his position of power have been slow to concede that.

Hey, just because the players like you doesn't mean they respect or fear you.

But though it's clear that Ryan is overmatched, it's just as clear the Jets are at a decided disadvantage upstairs, too. Woody Johnson is the one who forced the incumbent coach on the new general manager, John Idzik, after the 2012 season, and the one who must now answer for the mess the Rex/Idzik Jets are in.

[+] EnlargeRex Ryan, Wood Johnson
    Jim O'Connor/USA TODAY Sports
    Jets owner Woody Johnson, right, and Jets coach Rex Ryan are misfits in their respective positions.
    Ryan needs to win now and Idzik can afford to win later, and the conflicting agendas have left the Jets in the kind of no-man's land defined by a 31-0 loss to the Chargers featuring a hopeless Smith and an inserted backup, Michael Vick, who looked like he'd rather have been at Smith's cinema of choice working a box of buttered popcorn.

"A bad day at the office," Nick Mangold called it.

Woody Johnson's Jets have the funniest way of leading the league in those.

In a parity sport centered around the notion that everyone shares everything and spends what the next owner spends, Johnson has a payroll sitting $21 million under the salary cap in New York. Again, in New York. No matter how often he talks about rebuilding through the draft and saving cash for developing young stars, Johnson can't get away with his fiscal approach any more than the Wilpons can get away with theirs at Citi Field.

The Jets have very little talent or depth, especially at the playmaking positions, a fact that has amplified Ryan's weaknesses on game day. Idzik had a terrible draft last spring, and his moves across the board have actually encouraged conspiracy theorists to suggest he was trying to chop-block his head coach to clear a path for his own guy.

Hard to believe that one. But then again, it's hard to believe Idzik thought the likes of Dimitri Patterson could help the Jets more than the cornerback Ryan wanted, Darrelle Revis.

Idzik could've had Revis -- last seen shutting down A.J. Green for the Belichicks and Bradys on Sunday night -- for $4 million less than Tampa Bay paid him last year and instead let him sign with a New England team that has won the Jets' division 11 times in the past 13 seasons. Johnson told reporters last week that he put no restrictions on Idzik's spending, meaning the GM either didn't want Revis or didn't want to upset an owner who was sick of dealing with Revis' agents.

Not that it matters. If Johnson didn't help his team and his coach because of bruises suffered in past negotiations, shame on him for not understanding the price of doing business. And if Idzik decided Revis couldn't play at a high level anymore, shame on Johnson again for hiring a GM with no track record of making personnel decisions.

Idzik could've outbid the Giants for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to help ease the Revis-to-Patriots sting -- and didn't. He could've drafted or signed an explosive wideout to take some pressure off Eric Decker, a No. 2 receiver shouldering a No. 1 receiver's burdens -- and didn't.

So now the Jets are 1-4 and reeling with two all-time greats, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, warming up in the pen. The Jets had better pick it up, Calvin Pace said, "or we'll get embarrassed again."

Only the odds of the Jets getting embarrassed are significantly better than the odds of the Jets picking it up.

10 Most Frustrating Jets QBs

From Geno to Favre to Todd, ESPN New York ranks the 10 most frustrating Jets QBs of all time. Top 10 Photo Gallery NYJ blog »

"I think the team and the coaches, they've fallen short, that's for sure," Johnson said with his team at 1-3. "But they've been in every game."

He can't make that claim anymore, not after Smith did his damnedest to top the Mark Sanchez Buttfumble. Saturday night, the quarterback Johnson praised as a franchise player-to-be scrambled from the movie theater to his team's meeting room after realizing his personal West Coast system wasn't clicking with the Jets' East Coast schedule. Ryan credited Smith for "hustling in."

It was the last time a Jet was seen hustling all weekend.

As it stands now, this team would be best served finishing 3-13, landing the No. 1 pick and turning the whole operation over to a potential star like Oregon's Marcus Mariota. But until then, Jets fans deserve so much better than what their undisciplined team is giving them.

You could see this coming, too, after Johnson forced the Ryan-Idzik marriage and then extended it last season after the final game at Miami, using an 8-8 finish and a third straight non-playoff year as the occasion to retain Rex in an absurdly emotional locker room scene.

"You'd think we won the Super Bowl," the rookie quarterback, Smith, said that day.

Would Robert Kraft or John Mara or Paul Allen have acted like that at 8-8? The answer would be the same to this question:

Would Tom Brady or Eli Manning or Russell Wilson go to a movie the evening before a season-altering game?

Geno Smith apologized over and over, and Rex Ryan accepted all the blame for the blowout loss, and John Idzik did whatever camera-shy executives do when their rosters look as lame as his does. But these are Woody Johnson's people and that is Woody Johnson's culture and this is Woody Johnson's team.

In other words, this is Woody Johnson's mess.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Tue 7 Oct 2014 - 0:39

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

How much I know?  Clown.

I know he canceled a meeting with Emmanuel Sanders because he was on a scouting trip and wasn't even in town for negotiations with DRC....

How many GMs aren't in town for free agent visits the first week of free agency...clown GMs with clown apologists, that's who...

"the Jets offered DRC a one year prove it deal and they stuck to that, even after hearing about what the Giants offered. However, John Idzik wanted to improve his bid, but with him being in Louisville, it wouldn't have been as easy to sell a new contract to DRC."

Scouts should scout players...GMs sign them and are part of the evaluation process, not front and center...so we didn't even have real shots at DRC or Sanders because John wasn't even in town when they wanted/or did visit...  That is what a clown does, doesn't even show up when his organization needs him.

You line up behind your clown GM with your clown comments.  As I've already said, clown, I'd give him 1 more year to break his clown habits...sorry if I want a legit GM that treats free agency like a professional, not a clown.

And now... Childish name-calling. How old are you?

I challenge your assumptions, and you cannot respond like an adult.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 7 Oct 2014 - 5:12

JMO, hate it like it I honestly don't care. As a life long 5 decade football fan I know one thing for sure. It takes a minimum a four years to accurately judge a GM. Doing so after less than a year and a half is nonsense. Idzik may eventually turn out to be a failure but to decided so now is unfair. The man deserves more time any GM would.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 7 Oct 2014 - 6:09

Blindsidebrick wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

How much I know?  Clown.

And now... Childish name-calling. How old are you?

I challenge your assumptions, and you cannot respond like an adult.

You take an indirect shot, and cry when I respond by kicking in your teeth.  Look at it this way, you probably look better with kicked in teeth.  You know what they say about if you can't stand the heat...you see the last sentence of your original post?  Don't cry now about name calling, clown.

Last edited by Superman55 on Tue 7 Oct 2014 - 6:20; edited 2 times in total
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 7 Oct 2014 - 6:13

NickSINYC wrote:JMO, hate it like it I honestly don't care. As a life long 5 decade football fan I know one thing for sure. It takes a minimum a four years to accurately judge a GM. Doing so after less than a year and a half is nonsense. Idzik may eventually turn out to be a failure but to decided so now is unfair. The man deserves more time any GM would.

While I could admit that is correct for talent evaluation and building a team overall, I agree Nick. But if you have a GM that doesn't show up for meetings with players, doesn't spend cap money or resign his own free agents, make decisions that aren't helping the team, doesn't fill the weaknesses of the team, and the team's record gets worse each year he's in office, which is only 2 to your point...does it really take four years? Why can't it by 3 years if he goes 8-8 with Mike T's coaches and players and can't win more than 5 the next 2...if that happens...does it have to be 4 to see the same thing you saw the last 2 to prove he isn't the guy? What circumstance would cause you to change your mind after 3?

I have to believe that scenario exists. I am assuming year 3 he'll make the same mistakes he did year 1 & 2, maybe he turns it around and earns a 4th year as GM, but are you saying under no circumstances he should be fired after year 3?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 7 Oct 2014 - 6:16

John Idzik deserves the Jets hot seat most of all
    By Steve SerbyOctober 6, 2014 | 5:38pm
    Modal Trigger
    John Idzik deserves the Jets hot seat most of all
    General manager John Idzik has overseen the Jets debacle of 2014.
    Photo: Getty Images
    MORE FROM
    STEVE SERBY
    Steve Serby
    Why the NFC East is now having Odell Beckham nightmares
    It's time for JPP and the Giants to give Matt Ryan nightmares
    Why Colts backup thinks Andrew Luck is a great quarterback
    Serby's Sunday Q&A with Quintin Demps
    The great Prince sex debate rages in Giants locker room
    John Idzik is walking around with almost $24 million in cap dollars as Woody Johnson’s House burns down and crumbles to ashes.
    The plan isn’t working.
    Patient, calculated and deliberate isn’t working.
    The so-called franchise quarterback he drafted — Teflon Geno Smith — is cursing out a fan one week and missing the Saturday night team meeting the next week and performing even worse on the field.
    If there is a hot seat for Rex Ryan, there needs to be one for Idzik as well.
    Because if the Jets continue to resemble an expansion team on this runway to oblivion, a worst-team-in-football candidate, then Johnson needs to clean house and start over. Again.
    Jim Harbaugh will be a free agent after the season, but his head would implode on the sidelines in this market. But Bill Polian, who built Super Bowl teams in Buffalo and Indianapolis, needs to be on speed dial.
    Modal Trigger
    Rex Ryan
    Photo: EPA
    Ryan — who either misjudged the talent on this team or appeased Idzik by trumpeting the party line or has lost his motivational skills and defensive genius — heads into every High Noon showdown with a water pistol.
    It by no means excuses Ryan, who is is 15-22 over his last 37 games, but the horses Ryan are leading to water and can’t make them drink are too many Idzik nags.
    It was Idzik who declared the draft would be the lifeblood of his rebuilding of the Jets, but it is Idzik who has whiffed terribly on personnel.
    If Johnson considers it a victory that Idzik, a good man doing a bad job, has resisted the urge to dole out guaranteed money to a Mark Sanchez and sign a Tim Tebow, then he won’t be looking to draft a new GM after this season.
    The Jets had a golden opportunity to close the gap on the Patriots, but saw that gap closed by the Bills instead. Maybe the Dolphins as well.
    Ryan fell on the sword after the San Diego Disgrace, but you were left wondering whether Bill Belichick could make chicken salad out of this chicken …
    The blame game by no means starts and ends with Idzik, but it absolutely starts with him.
    He was a long-suffering Jets fan once, the son of former Jets’ offensive coordinator John J. Idzik, so you know he feels the pain. And likely understands why he is Public Enemy No.1 in the eyes of Jets Nation.
    In a quarterback-driven league, Idzik hasn’t supplied a franchise quarterback or a big-time No. 1 receiver or a cornerback who can cover wide receivers and intercept quarterbacks.
    Modal Trigger
    Geno Smith should be benched this week, writes Steve Serby.
    Photo: Getty Images
    Idzik’s crimes against Jets Nation:
    GENO SMITH
    He was the breath of fresh air who was going to vaporize the stench of the buttfumble. He has regressed on and off the field. There should be no excuse for the leader of your team to miss a team meeting because he went to the movies, whether it is a West Coast offense (time mix-up) or not.
    “I just felt really bad, kinda felt like I let a let of people down,” Smith said Monday, “was just very apologetic in that instance.”
    Ryan should take the ball from Smith and hand it to Michael Vick to show that some semblance of accountability exists in Florham Park. He sounded more inclined to be an enabler.
    “With Geno, he’s never missed a meeting, ever, and he’s generally one of the first guys to arrive, if not THE first, and he’s right there in the front row, so I can’t miss him,” Ryan said. “I believe it’s just a one-time thing. It was just an honest mistake.”
    Does anyone think Smith was a second-round steal right now following the cursing out of a fan and then this?
    “I would say it’s uncharacteristic,” Smith said. “I’m not one of those guys that’s always in the tabloids. I’ve made some mistakes, and I’m aware of it. I’ve also caused a distraction for my teammates by doing so.”
    Ryan has a suggestion.
    “I think he needs to get back to using his legs,” Ryan said. Sure, so he can scramble back from the movie theater faster.
    Here’s what time it really is: It is time to grow up.
    DEE MILLINER
    He was the ninth pick of the 2013 draft, Idzik’s first draft choice, and he spends most of his time in the trainer’s room. Jets fans were sold a bill of goods the final two games of his rookie season proved that he was ready to ascend and be a shutdown corner. Yeah right. Darrelle Revis wasn’t worth $12 million to a rebuilding franchise, or the year-to-year negotiation headaches. But the panicked need to move safety Antonio Allen to corner speaks volumes.
    JALEN SAUNDERS
    A fourth-round 2014 draft choice who was released. Of Idzik’s 12 draft picks this spring, only two — No. 1 Calvin Pryor and No. 2 Jace Amaro — are contributors. Pryor, who looks like a player, was the choice over cornerback Darqueze Dennard. Idzik reached in the third round for an injury-prone corner, Dexter McDougle, who is on injured reserve.
    MIKE GOODSON
    A bustout character risk who should never have been signed as a free agent.
    DIMITRI PATTERSON
    A disgruntled, injury-prone journeyman who was imported as a starter, went AWOL, and never got to “Play Like A Jet.”
    CHRIS JOHNSON
    Kudos for the Chris Ivory trade, but CJ2K isn’t even CJ1K with all the tread on those tires.
    MUHAMMAD WILKERSON
    Pay the man already.
    Idzik’s long-term vision conflicts with Ryan’s future-is-now reality. That was Johnson’s wish. For one season, it functioned. Now there is dysfunction. Hell, Ryan’s Ground & Pound vision is at odds with Marty Mornhinweg’s MartyBall. Smith’s failure to develop is damning commentary on Mornhinweg.
    Ryan survived a year ago. He’s Dead Coach Walking now, trapped with an immature quarterback inside a green-and-white house on fire.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024 - 4:51