Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+13
Metjetgal
jamesfyo123
hobson54
NYJETSDAN16
NCgreen12
LIJETFAN
Atljet60
football51
trico990
SackExchange
danfran
soj
Superman55
17 posters

Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason - Page 2 Empty Re: Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason

Post by SackExchange Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 12:16

I agree that Idzik should be learning a lesson from how he handled this offseason. In general, he made some great improvements. Getting the top WR, bringing in a veteran speed RB who can catch out of the backfield, drafting a franchise safety and TE.

But he didn't do a complete job. There's still a need at WR. And while he couldn't have anticipated Milliner missing a quarter of the season, there was still a hole at CB. The resources were there to address those holes, but they were just left as they were.

This remaining cap room has to be used for some extensions to key guys. Absorb the money now, while we have it.
    Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason - Page 2 Empty Re: Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason

Post by Metjetgal Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 13:16

He screwed up the CB situation badly. Golden Tate across from Decker would of been nice.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 13:41

Metjetgal wrote:He screwed up the CB situation badly. Golden Tate across from Decker would of been nice.

Golden Tate, DJax, Emmanuel Sanders, Jeremy Maclin, Riley Cooper, Hakeem Nicks, Darren Sproles, or Andre Roberts would have been fine as a #2 opposite Decker...not just Tate...just saying...
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 13:42

Metjetgal wrote:He screwed up the CB situation badly. Golden Tate across from Decker would of been nice.

The draft had a good number of WRs available. I don't blame them for addressing other needs, such as TE and S, but a CB in FA and a potential impact WR in the draft would have made a lot more difference.

That said, we don't know yet what we have in McDougle or Shaq Evans.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 13:45

SackExchange wrote:

The draft had a good number of WRs available. I don't blame them for addressing other needs, such as TE and S, but a CB in FA and a potential impact WR in the draft would have made a lot more difference.

...or drafting Jalen Saunders over a WR prospect like Bruce Ellington...when Saunders only value is returning punts and/or kicks...and he's inactive because he fumbles punts and kicks...kind of a miss...
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 13:49

Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

...or drafting Jalen Saunders over a WR prospect like Bruce Ellington...when Saunders only value is returning punts and/or kicks...and he's inactive because he fumbles punts and kicks...kind of a miss...

They took some guys over similar guys that I might not have done, but I trusted their evaluations more than mine. Saunders over Ellington. Evans over Bryant. McDougle over Gaines.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 13:52

[quote="Superman55"]

Golden Tate, DJax, Emmanuel Sanders, Jeremy Maclin, Riley Cooper, Hakeem Nicks, Darren Sproles, or Andre Roberts would have been fine as a #2 opposite Decker...not just Tate...just saying...[/quote

Yup, that about covers the WR situation except for Steve Smith who is having a fantastic season in Baltimore. There were players out there to be had. There were players to be drafted too. Shaq Evans might become an interesting player one day, probably a back up, but he's on IR, that's no help.

CBs - I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said. Comedy of errors and it might have started with Milliner.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 14:16

Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

yup, Ellington is really lighting up the league as a receiver. I mean he has all of 2 targets and 0 catches on the year.

if you are gonna complain, at least pick a WR who has actually caught a pass this year...

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 14:26

Superman55 wrote:

Golden Tate, DJax, Emmanuel Sanders, Jeremy Maclin, Riley Cooper, Hakeem Nicks, Darren Sproles, or Andre Roberts would have been fine as a #2 opposite Decker...not just Tate...just saying...

there are some good players on this list. but other teams were interested in them, so we can't magically make them sign with the jets.

DJax is a headcase that can't stay on the field. he's had 1 good game, 1 great game, and 2 awful games this year. not sure that is worth the $16 mil guaranteed he got (3yr/$24MM)

Sanders - why exactly would you sign to play with the jets and have geno smith throw to you when you can go to the broncos and play with manning?

Tate - solid player. would have been happy with him. but he signed with detroit (gets to play with stafford and across from megatron) before he visited anyone else.

Maclin - coming off injury. decided to take 1 year deal with existing team in a system that should produce big numbers. doubt he takes the same deal from the jets.

Nicks - coming off 2 injury-prone, disappointing years. and on a team lighting up the scoreboard, he has 12 catches for 94 yards on the season. doubt he's the difference between 1-3 and 3-1 or even 2-2

Riley Cooper - garbage player. 15 catches for 125 yards in 4 games in Chip Kelly's offense.

Darren Sproles - since when is a 5'6 man a #2 WR?

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 14:57

The only frustration I have right now is the terrible fan base. The Jets Insider board is totally out of control and filled with hate, the fans @ the games calling Geno & other Jet players names, is not going to help the Jets win.

Big Mo is pissed off @ the fans, and he's facing a new contract. Why would he want to stay here ?

I'm also frustrated with all the "arm chair GM's", sitting on their couch @ home. Hind-site being 20/20, it's easy to sit back now and slam Idzik or Rex, for everything not going their way. It is what it is, deal with it.

I'm trying to remain positive, and wish a few of my Jet brother's & sister's would do the same.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Metjetgal Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 15:15

Well we just cut Saunders, so this has been a horrific few days. Winning cures all, and the JEts better start doing some, otherwise the season will spin completely out of control over the next few weeks.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 17:19

Cy - I think we all the share your sentiments of wanting to stay positive. And no one on this Board is advocating how the fans behaved yesterday towards the players. Of course, the players didn't exactly handle it well either.

As far as criticizing Idzik and Rex are concerned, that's our right to do as fans. We are the consumers of the product. I think it is safe to say that every person on this Board has spent some their hard earned dollars supporting this team. So, we've all earned the right to voice our opinions. For me, I have been a Jet fan for 40+ years. Others here may be longer than that. With that kind of loyalty, I think we've earned the right to speak up about the team.

To wit - we all know Saunders got released today. He might be resigned to the Practice Squad.

It's the GM's job to find the talent and build the roster to win. Idzik spoke about building a program that wins consistently for the short and long term. Right now at least, it is hard to understand what that plan is..because we have precisely the same problems with the roster that we had last year. And that team went 8-8. And while the team played well down the stretch, right now they are 1-3 and playing some of the best teams in the AFC the next three weeks. If they fall to say 2-5 or 1-6, their chances of making the playoffs are extremely slim. So, as much as I want to stay positive, I think everyone here is being realistic too. And it's frustrating...let's hope they turn it around.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 17:51

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

yup, Ellington is really lighting up the league as a receiver.  I mean he has all of 2 targets and 0 catches on the year.  

if you are gonna complain, at least pick a WR who has actually caught a pass this year...

Wow, how did Lamar Woodley do as a rookie?  Bruce Ellington, like MonCreif, had a very impressive camp and preseason.

"49ers fourth-round WR Bruce Ellington caught three passes for 35 yards in Thursday night's preseason opener.
    He added two kickoffs for 62 yards. Ellington doesn't quite project as a fantasy asset long term, but his quickness and speed stood out on high-percentage pass routes against the Ravens. He's in the mix for Niners No. 4 receiver duties."

Its about a guy being coachable and having WR skills that can be developed...Ellington has amazing skill sets, can return, and can be value added to the WR core (note he's only playing behind Crabtree, Boldin, and Stevie Johnson...all free agents this March...like Nicks and Wayne in front of Moncreif).

However, explain to me how good cutting a rookie WR after 4 weeks looks, again.  Explain that to me?  I know Idzik can do no wrong in your eyes, like most people here, but if you cut a WR after 4 games you drafted in the 4th rd or higher...something is wrong, based on my first point, "Its about a guy being coachable and having WR skills that can be developed...Ellington has amazing skill sets, can return, and can be value added to the WR core..."

Not sure if you saw SC much last year, but the kid can play, IMO.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 18:43

Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

yup, Ellington is really lighting up the league as a receiver.  I mean he has all of 2 targets and 0 catches on the year.  

Wow, how did Lamar Woodley do as a rookie?  Bruce Ellington, like MonCreif, had a very impressive camp and preseason.

"49ers fourth-round WR Bruce Ellington caught three passes for 35 yards in Thursday night's preseason opener.
    He added two kickoffs for 62 yards. Ellington doesn't quite project as a fantasy asset long term, but his quickness and speed stood out on high-percentage pass routes against the Ravens. He's in the mix for Niners No. 4 receiver duties."

Its about a guy being coachable and having WR skills that can be developed...Ellington has amazing skill sets, can return, and can be value added to the WR core (note he's only playing behind Crabtree, Boldin, and Stevie Johnson...all free agents this March...like Nicks and Wayne in front of Moncreif).

However, explain to me how good cutting a rookie WR after 4 weeks looks, again.  Explain that to me?  I know Idzik can do no wrong in your eyes, like most people here, but if you cut a WR after 4 games you drafted in the 4th rd or higher...something is wrong, based on my first point, "Its about a guy being coachable and having WR skills that can be developed...Ellington has amazing skill sets, can return, and can be value added to the WR core..."

So funny how 55 rips Idzik but hasn't even said anything about how horrible Geno has been so far.  You do know that Idzik drafted your favorite QB in the whole wide world in Geno, right?

Your boy is doing outstanding so far. Throwing the ball to the other team. Fumbling every game. Over throwing wide open players. Not knowing when or not to run with his garbage indecisivness.

Your boy Geno is a bust.

Last edited by NYJETSDAN16 on Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 19:00; edited 1 time in total
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 18:44

Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

for the record, when the jets were on the clock in the 4th round on the pick we ultimately took saunders, i wanted ellington. so i'm not knocking the guy. but right now, he has proven nothing in the nfl. he hasn't caught a pass, and is solely a return man. so your comment about drafting a WR and not just a kick returner seemed odd considering you then mentioned a guy who is just a kick returner right now.

now you may say that eventually ellington will develop into a good WR. that is possible. then again, it is also possible saunders develops into a good WR. right now, they are tied in career receptions - 0-0
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 18:59

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

So funny how 55 rips Idzik but hasn't even said anything about how horrible Geno has been so far.  You do know that Idzik drafted your favorite QB in the whole wide world in Geno, right?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 19:09

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:

for the record, when the jets were on the clock in the 4th round on the pick we ultimately took saunders, i wanted ellington.  so i'm not knocking the guy.  but right now, he has proven nothing in the nfl.  he hasn't caught a pass, and is solely a return man.  so your comment about drafting a WR and not just a kick returner seemed odd considering you then mentioned a guy who is just a kick returner right now.

now you may say that eventually ellington will develop into a good WR.  that is possible.  then again, it is also possible saunders develops into a good WR.  right now, they are tied in career receptions - 0-0

Well, Saunders was 5'9 157 lbs at OU while Ellington was 5'9 197 lbs at SC...while I know we both agree Saunders never had the size either of us thought would lead to him ever being a #1 or #2...Ellington does have the size and strength to be a #2/#3 in the Tate mold...just Ellington's short/stocky build. I kind of feel you felt the same way...at least last April if we talked about it.

And honestly, I never expect much from rookie WRs, it's not often they do anything as rookies. I mean seriously, Calvin Johnson with 48 receptions is a solid rookie year; even all time greats like Marvin Harrison (playing with Harbough) only pulled in 60 balls...I think AJ Green had 60 something too...and those are the elite talents right out of the box with size, speed, and hands.

I still feel Ellington can be a retruner/WR as a poor man's Steve Smith/Brandin Cooks. Obviously I wanted Dennard or Cooks rd 1; but if we didnt take a WR rd 1...Moncreif and Ellington were my mid rd talents through the entire process. Dri Archer and Saunders were always too specialized,IMO, to go that high. 5 or lower, fine...but Ellington was right there. I wont get over it till the 9ers cut him and prove me wrong about him as a prospect.

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 20:16

hobson54 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

there are some good players on this list.  but other teams were interested in them, so we can't magically make them sign with the jets.  

DJax is a headcase that can't stay on the field.  he's had 1 good game, 1 great game, and 2 awful games this year.  not sure that is worth the $16 mil guaranteed he got (3yr/$24MM)

Sanders - why exactly would you sign to play with the jets and have geno smith throw to you when you can go to the broncos and play with manning?

Tate - solid player.  would have been happy with him.  but he signed with detroit (gets to play with stafford and across from megatron) before he visited anyone else.

Maclin - coming off injury.  decided to take 1 year deal with existing team in a system that should produce big numbers.  doubt he takes the same deal from the jets.

Nicks - coming off 2 injury-prone, disappointing years.  and on a team lighting up the scoreboard, he has 12 catches for 94 yards on the season.  doubt he's the difference between 1-3 and 3-1 or even 2-2

Riley Cooper - garbage player.  15 catches for 125 yards in 4 games in Chip Kelly's offense.

Darren Sproles - since when is a 5'6 man a #2 WR?

Stop it, Hobson. You're disrupting the "Let's Blame Idzik" train. Everybody knows what Idzik did and didn't do, because... well, we sat in on all the negotiations and listened to how it all went down.

Players threw themselves at the Jets for reasonable money, and Idzik denied them all because he's cheap and incompetent.

C'mon man! Get with the narrative!
    danfran
    danfran
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by danfran Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 20:46

LIJETFAN wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

Golden Tate, DJax, Emmanuel Sanders, Jeremy Maclin, Riley Cooper, Hakeem Nicks, Darren Sproles, or Andre Roberts would have been fine as a #2 opposite Decker...not just Tate...just saying...[/quote

Yup, that about covers the WR situation except for Steve Smith who is having a fantastic season in Baltimore.  There were players out there to be had.  There were players to be drafted too.    Shaq Evans might become an interesting player one day, probably a back up, but he's on IR, that's no help.  

CBs - I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said.  Comedy of errors and it might have started with Milliner.  

The funny part is---they act like Milliner is Revis. He was flat out bad last year until the last 6 games or so. You could say he found his stride, but you can also say he's still unproven. Looking at that, it was incumbent on them to either bring back Cro or bring in someone else as insurance. That would have possibly still left CB as a weakness if Milliner wasn't as good as they thought, WITH the new guy. Now it's a disaster area.
    danfran
    danfran
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by danfran Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 20:50

cysporsche wrote:The only frustration I have right now is the terrible fan base. The Jets Insider board is totally out of control and filled with hate, the fans @ the games calling Geno & other Jet players names, is not going to help the Jets win.

Big Mo is pissed off @ the fans, and he's facing a new contract. Why would he want to stay here ?

I'm also frustrated with all the "arm chair GM's", sitting on their couch @ home. Hind-site being 20/20, it's easy to sit back now and slam Idzik or Rex, for everything not going their way. It is what it is, deal with it.

I'm trying to remain positive, and wish a few of my Jet brother's & sister's would do the same.

Go Jets...Cyborg

The bolded part is unfair. EVERYONE was unhappy they didn't sign a corner in the offseason-especially with the cap room. What, does Idzik get a 20% bonus for whatever he doesn't spend?
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 22:01

SackExchange wrote:Every thread, every post, has to be whining about benching Geno.

Huge part of our record Sack. It is very frustrating. But i'll lay off on the gas pedal until this Sunday vs San Diego.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:05

Look at the huge impact Revis has had on that Pats defense Rolling Eyes .

One offseason free agent champion(Raiders) just fired their head coach.

Our roster was a mess after the 2012 season. I don't think it was realistic to expect everything to be in place now.

Take a few minutes and google the Seahawks moves from 2010 and 2011. It takes time. They traded for players who flopped and drafted others that they cut pretty quickly as well. i don't want to see Riley Cooper's name or Vontae Davis' name mentioned as possible targets for us because they resigned with their respective teams before free agency officially opened. Also, as low as Desean Jackson's cap number is this year, that just means it's higher in future years........... I'll keep Wilkerson, Kerley, Davis, Allen, Snacks, etc then worry about some headcase wr.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:49

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 2h 2 hours ago
    if most #NFL fans on Twitter compiled their suggestions on how to run a team, they'd be Reggie McKenzie
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Tue 30 Sep 2014 - 15:51

football51 wrote:Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  2h 2 hours ago
    if most #NFL fans on Twitter compiled their suggestions on how to run a team, they'd be Reggie McKenzie

That is about right. Might be giving the fans a bit too much credit.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 1 Oct 2014 - 8:02

Jets and Saints are the only teams in the NFl without an interception this season, in case there was any doubt how bad our secondary was put together.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024 - 14:59