Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+13
Metjetgal
jamesfyo123
hobson54
NYJETSDAN16
NCgreen12
LIJETFAN
Atljet60
football51
trico990
SackExchange
danfran
soj
Superman55
17 posters

Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason Empty Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason

Post by Superman55 Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 12:02

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11605699

No way...

Not for blinded Idzik fans.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason Empty Re: Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason

Post by soj Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 12:14

Well 55 tyou been beating this drum for awhile and I always felt that he had alot of holes to fill. I was not happy we didn't go for a cover CB in draft (think Denard spelling) or better WR ... I am still wondering why they let Cro walk... he is doing just fine in AZ... so yea I hope he gets some heat put on him for not doing more.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason Empty Re: Jets organization frustrated with 2014 offseason

Post by Superman55 Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 12:56

danfran
    danfran
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by danfran Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 13:03

It cannot be defended in any way. There are glaring holes in the secondary. and they may in the end cost this team their season.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 13:43

Definitely holes in the secondary. A healthy Milliner and McDougle would have changed that perception some.

I would have preferred a free agent CB been brought in. That said, if the cap room is used to frontload deals for guys like Mo, I'm fine with it. I'm not fine with having this many holes and leaving this much unused cap space.
    trico990
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by trico990 Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 13:54

Some in the organization huh Schefter???? Exactly how high up the food chain?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 14:33

Well, sorry Rex, time for your to face the music. Idzik, you get one more year. One can argue on idzik's side that he did enough to fill those holes, it's just too bad that the evidence he didn't will be Rex getting fired for Idzik's mistakes...
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 15:49

Hmmmm, that last sentence in Schefter's article tells me that the talent is there, but the execution thus far has been poor. Throw in the timeout fiasco and MM getting too cute with his play calls, you get a 1-2 start. Everyone wants to have Rex's back, but when he's turned off the offensive headset(while we're on offense) to talk to Thurman during the Packer's game, it still shows that Rex is disinterested in offense.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:23

Rex is a good guy, and players love playing for him. But they have not been playing WELL for him. They often play hard, but not smart. The team reflects Rex. They play hard, go all out, but they are also undisciplined and make a lot of mistakes.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 16:49

SackExchange wrote:Rex is a good guy, and players love playing for him. But they have not been playing WELL for him. They often play hard, but not smart. The team reflects Rex. They play hard, go all out, but they are also undisciplined and make a lot of mistakes.

Agree.... its time to find someone who is a HC and not just a DC. I Like Rex also but after 6 years he is not the answer and the teams results are a reflection on that. I hate that we will probably start over but ... I for one have had enough of the penalties, poor communication and execution, etc.

Look at AZ and Philly ...two new HCs and both teams are 3-0... granted talent is much better but these teams execute and win.
    Atljet60
    Atljet60
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by Atljet60 Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 18:00

I don't know how practices develop but typically how a team practices translate into what happens into a game. We're four weeks into a season, and we're hearing things that should've been corrected in camp or preseason.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sun 28 Sep 2014 - 20:29

It's too bad these coaches and this regime will not know how good they could have been with one more FA piece with that $21 mill sitting in the GM's pocket. It's too bad a Talib, Revis, DRC, Vontae Davis, or Djax couldn't have been placed in these guy's hands that would have left the organization enough dough to resign Mo this year too.

Now next year Marty, Thurman, and Rex will be on new staffs and Idzik will reset the regime like he didn't handcuff them a little...just a little. Thant one additional key piece both the offense and defense just seems to be missing. Each unit seems one game changer short.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 8:50

I have been beating this drum for quite some time as well.  I have given this a lot of thought, and I am not one for knee jerk reactions.  Jet fans knew what the problems were with this roster.  Why Idzik failed to address them in the draft and free agency (other than Decker) is almost mind boggling.  I get that McDougle was our pick at CB, and he got injured.  Milliner is not on the field either and has a history of injuries.  We didn't look at WR until I don't even know what round, and the first WR we took is a punt returner that was benched this week and inactive.  The others are either on the practice squad or on IR and they were all late round picks.  We had 12 draft picks, 12.  And right now, maybe the first two are NFL players, with Dozier a developmental prospect.  That's not a good track record.  

I am not sure what the solution is at this point.  Idzik isn't going anywhere apparently at least for another year or two.  Rex may be gone after this season.  If this keeps up.  And if it does, it would be time to make a change.  I think he's a great defensive coach.  And he got the Jets close twice.  But maybe his time here is done.  

I think the Jets really need to figure out how to evaluate talent in a hurry.  And they need a plan.  I have no idea what kind of team Idzik is trying to build with this roster.  Our schedule this year demanded that we have a strong secondary and a team that could score more than 10 points a game in the passing game.  We have neither right now.  

There are so many issues with this team right now, it is hard to figure out who to blame or what to fix first.  If it is the coach, then who are we going to get?  Who is out there?  Any ideas?

It is too early in the season to give up all hope, but if this team is 2-5 or 1-6, the season is essentially over.  Very few teams could rattle off 9 or 10 straight wins, and the Jets don't have that kind of talent right now.  So, looking ahead, if Rex is gone after this year, who replaces him?
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 9:30

LIJETFAN wrote:I have been beating this drum for quite some time as well.  I have given this a lot of thought, and I am not one for knee jerk reactions.  Jet fans knew what the problems were with this roster.  Why Idzik failed to address them in the draft and free agency (other than Decker) is almost mind boggling.  I get that McDougle was our pick at CB, and he got injured.  Milliner is not on the field either and has a history of injuries.  We didn't look at WR until I don't even know what round, and the first WR we took is a punt returner that was benched this week and inactive.  The others are either on the practice squad or on IR and they were all late round picks.  We had 12 draft picks, 12.  And right now, maybe the first two are NFL players, with Dozier a developmental prospect.  That's not a good track record.  

I am not sure what the solution is at this point.  Idzik isn't going anywhere apparently at least for another year or two.  Rex may be gone after this season.  If this keeps up.  And if it does, it would be time to make a change.  I think he's a great defensive coach.  And he got the Jets close twice.  But maybe his time here is done.  

I think the Jets really need to figure out how to evaluate talent in a hurry.  And they need a plan.  I have no idea what kind of team Idzik is trying to build with this roster.  Our schedule this year demanded that we have a strong secondary and a team that could score more than 10 points a game in the passing game.  We have neither right now.  

There are so many issues with this team right now, it is hard to figure out who to blame or what to fix first.  If it is the coach, then who are we going to get?  Who is out there?  Any ideas?

It is too early in the season to give up all hope, but if this team is 2-5 or 1-6, the season is essentially over.  Very few teams could rattle off 9 or 10 straight wins, and the Jets don't have that kind of talent right now.  So, looking ahead, if Rex is gone after this year, who replaces him?

You would think Bevell or Quinn are at the top of the list..
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 9:37

NCgreen12 wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:I have been beating this drum for quite some time as well.  I have given this a lot of thought, and I am not one for knee jerk reactions.  Jet fans knew what the problems were with this roster.  Why Idzik failed to address them in the draft and free agency (other than Decker) is almost mind boggling.  I get that McDougle was our pick at CB, and he got injured.  Milliner is not on the field either and has a history of injuries.  We didn't look at WR until I don't even know what round, and the first WR we took is a punt returner that was benched this week and inactive.  The others are either on the practice squad or on IR and they were all late round picks.  We had 12 draft picks, 12.  And right now, maybe the first two are NFL players, with Dozier a developmental prospect.  That's not a good track record.  

You would think Bevell or Quinn are at the top of the list..

Its gotta be Bevell. Jets havent had an offensive minded head coach since Bruce Coslett.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 9:38

That assumes he wants to come here. He is going to be in demand...
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 9:46

LIJETFAN wrote:That assumes he wants to come here.  He is going to be in demand...

He does have ties with idzik though.

Another possibilty is Jim Harbaugh. If SF doesnt extend his contract, he'd be a great candidate. Imagine what he can do with Mariota here with the Jets.

Keep Geno in there and this is a damn real possibilty.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 10:04

I don't know if Harbaugh would want to come here, and I think SF will resign him if they are smart. I think the problem is going to be attracting a coach. Dan Quinn coached here with the Jets for a year, so he has some ties to the organization. Bevell is going to be a hot commodity and he will have his pick of teams.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 10:17

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    LIJETFAN wrote:That assumes he wants to come here.  He is going to be in demand...

Another possibilty is Jim Harbaugh. If SF doesnt extend his contract, he'd be a great candidate.  Imagine what he can do with Mariota here with the Jets.

if Harbaugh leaves SF, he will be in great demand.  another team in our division will be after him and has an owner that already tried to buy him 1x.  and there is a certain college up in Ann Arbor, MI where there is very likely to be an opening that could be appealing to the former Wolverine.

if rex goes, i think the most obvious choice is Bevell, followed by Quinn.  after having a defensive coach for many years, I think the jets would be best going after an offensive-minded coach.

note - I have not given up on rex, but just speculating what could happen if the season really disintegrates and Idzik makes a change.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 10:31

hobson54 wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

Another possibilty is Jim Harbaugh. If SF doesnt extend his contract, he'd be a great candidate.  Imagine what he can do with Mariota here with the Jets.

if Harbaugh leaves SF, he will be in great demand.  another team in our division will be after him and has an owner that already tried to buy him 1x.  and there is a certain college up in Ann Arbor, MI where there is very likely to be an opening that could be appealing to the former Wolverine.

if rex goes, i think the most obvious choice is Bevell, followed by Quinn.  after having a defensive coach for many years, I think the jets would be best going after an offensive-minded coach.

note - I have not given up on rex, but just speculating what could happen if the season really disintegrates and Idzik makes a change.

I'am not giving up on Rex either, but he's sealing his fate every week he names Geno the starter. In saying so, if Harbaugh does become available, i definetly see Woody breaking the bank for him.
    danfran
    danfran
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by danfran Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 11:29

Ironic how Rex supports Geno as the starter, but each week Geno is making Rex's return less likely.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 11:33

I would think Woody would try break the bank for a high profile coach, but again, I honestly believe SF will resign him. I agree that Bevell makes the most sense given today's NFL. But I think he will be heavily recruited, and we would have to wait for him until after the playoffs, which could be another Super Bowl run. Same for Quinn.

In the college ranks, I don't think there is anyone really who is ready for the NFL that comes to mind.

I would add that the strength of this team is the front 7 on defense. So whoever comes in, especially an offensive minded coach needs to find a defensive coordinator that can keep that group in tact, particularly the D-Line.

As far as QB situation goes, at this point, they need to do something to spark the offense. If that means starting Vick, then start him. If that means, playing Geno and doing something different, do that.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 11:36

Harbaugh is fantasy world. I don't see it happening. He almost certainly stays in SF.

Bevell and Quinn are most likely, especially with their ties to Idzik and Quinn's ties to the Jets. They may go Bevell because of the offensive angle, and that would be fine.
    NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 11:48

I wouldn't mind an offensive minded coach being you typically need to score 25+ points to win consistently in this league. However, our new coach should also be one who has his fingers on the pulse of the entire show unlike Rex who seems to almost divorce himself from the offense.

Wonder if Rex were to be let go if he would be sought after right away as a head coach. Not sure on that. There's no doubt he would be offered a DC position immediately.

The thought of starting over again just stinks. Getting to think I need to live to be 100 to see our next championship. Was somewhat optimistic coming into this season for one reason, Geno Smith. He has taken the air right out of that bubble.

On topic I think Idzik will learn a valuable lesson after this season on what he did not do in the off season.
    jamesfyo123
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by jamesfyo123 Mon 29 Sep 2014 - 12:13

LIJETFAN wrote:I would think Woody would try break the bank for a high profile coach, but again, I honestly believe SF will resign him.  I agree that Bevell makes the most sense given today's NFL.  But I think he will be heavily recruited, and we would have to wait for him until after the playoffs, which could be another Super Bowl run.   Same for Quinn.

Idzik was assistant GM in Tampa Bay for the Super Bowl Bucs team. He must have at least some relationship with Gruden.

Not saying that would necessarily be a good thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 11 May 2024 - 2:56