Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+12
Atljet60
Blindsidebrick
Polishjetfan
WilliesDad
cysporsche
SackExchange
football51
HYATT™
Superman55
soj
NickSINYC
danfran
16 posters

When is it the coach and when is it the players?

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

When is it the coach and when is it the players?  - Page 2 Empty Re: When is it the coach and when is it the players?

Post by Superman55 Thu 9 Oct 2014 - 21:08

danfran wrote:
    football51 wrote:Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  17h 17 hours ago
    Catching up with Vick quotes - So now we got Vick saying he doesn't work hard in practice, Geno missing meetings, Demario saying team...

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  17h 17 hours ago
    ...doesn't watch film and practice well, Mangold backing it up. Sheldon saying there are defensive communication issues...

But this is a well coached team? Maybe the #Jets conspiracists got it backwards, maybe Rex is trying to sabotage himself to get fired...

Man, it sounds like the rats are deserting a sinking ship....

...........we're blaming all these issues on Rex now? That's nice. Who put Geno and Vick on the Jets roster? Was it Rex who signed and drafted those 2? Oh, Rex Ryan did. Let's blame it all on him. Nice, Joe.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

When is it the coach and when is it the players?  - Page 2 Empty Re: When is it the coach and when is it the players?

Post by NickSINYC Thu 9 Oct 2014 - 21:36

Superman55 wrote:
    danfran wrote:
    Catching up with Vick quotes - So now we got Vick saying he doesn't work hard in practice, Geno missing meetings, Demario saying team...

...doesn't watch film and practice well, Mangold backing it up. Sheldon saying there are defensive communication issues...

But this is a well coached team? Maybe the #Jets conspiracists got it backwards, maybe Rex is trying to sabotage himself to get fired...

...........we're blaming all these issues on Rex now?  That's nice.  Who put Geno and Vick on the Jets roster?  Was it Rex who signed and drafted those 2?  Oh, Rex Ryan did.  Let's blame it all on him.  Nice, Joe.

I know you dislike Idzik but I am not sure how you can blame drafting and signing players for poor practices, missing meetings and poor film work?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 6:55

NickSINYC wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    danfran wrote:

...........we're blaming all these issues on Rex now?  That's nice.  Who put Geno and Vick on the Jets roster?  Was it Rex who signed and drafted those 2?  Oh, Rex Ryan did.  Let's blame it all on him.  Nice, Joe.

I know you dislike Idzik but I am not sure how you can blame drafting and signing players for poor practices, missing meetings and poor film work?

I don't dislike him as much as it seems, I do dislike a recent string of decisions. His plan is fine if it was executed better.

I feel poor work ethic falls primarily on the employee, maybe the supervisor deserves some blame for not having a better environment to hold them accountable, but the hiring and screening manager doesn't go without blame for hiring unprofessional or immature staff for the supervisor to work with.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 10:24

NickSINYC wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    danfran wrote:

Thank you. That makes little sense to me. Just because Idzik didn't make the moves he would have made...

When it comes down to it, discipline and preparation are mandated by the HC, not the GM. Maybe guys want to play for Rex because it's easy.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 10:35

SackExchange wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    danfran wrote:

Thank you. That makes little sense to me. Just because Idzik didn't make the moves he would have made...

When it comes down to it, discipline and preparation are mandated by the HC, not the GM. Maybe guys want to play for Rex because it's easy.

Seriously, Sack and Nick?  Come on.  This is as bad as everything wrong with the team is Geno Smith.  You both really sound like that.

You're saying everything wrong with the meal is because of the cook and has nothing to do with the quality of groceries he's working with.

I like how we pick and chose who is the main source of the issue and don't say the blame is shared.

Idzik picked the cook (Ryan) and shops for the groceries but deserves no blame when some of the groceries go sour and the cook still has to cook with them?  You're sure the two of you don't personally know idzik?  Because it is very strange you're putting 100% blame on Ryan and not the players acting up or the guy who picked those players for Ryan to work with...

Ryan deserves blame, but not 100% of the blame like you guys are saying. Lets first say we have players that aren't mature and professional, and we should do a better job of not having those types of players on our team to begin with...only then, once they're, rex should create an environment that polices that behavior, and Idzik should export those players when they...dont prepare for games...

Wake me when Rex starts signing, drafting, and cutting players. But he's somehow 100% responsible for the players on the Jets and how they behave once they get there...

Pretty sure if it was up to Rex, Revis and DJax would be Jets...but they're not (for appropriate reasons), but when the guys on the Jets act up...it's all his fault...nice, guys. Nice.

Last edited by Superman55 on Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 10:41; edited 1 time in total
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 10:41

Idzik picked the cook? Are you now holding Idzik responsible for Rex Ryan being the HC of the Jets?

Seriously?

This is where you lose credibility. You have some knowledge, but you get blindsided by your own opinion. Despite Idzik picking your guy from way back, Geno, he didn't make all the moves you would have made. Therefore, he is the problem.

How is preparation, film work, and discipline NOT on the Head Coach? Or is Idzik to blame because Rex is the coach?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 11:10

SackExchange wrote:Idzik picked the cook? Are you now holding Idzik responsible for Rex Ryan being the HC of the Jets?

Seriously?

This is where you lose credibility. You have some knowledge, but you get blindsided by your own opinion. Despite Idzik picking your guy from way back, Geno, he didn't make all the moves you would have made. Therefore, he is the problem.

How is preparation, film work, and discipline NOT on the Head Coach? Or is Idzik to blame because Rex is the coach?

Are you saying Idzik didn't have a chance to replace Rex Ryan last year?

If your answer is no, this is where you lose credibility.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 11:14

I don't know if he did or not. We're not sure of Woody's role in that.

Still, holding Idzik accountable for Rex's shortcomings isn't fair in the least. If you want to bash Idzik, go ahead. I think he's made mistakes, too. But that one is misplaced blame.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 11:25

SackExchange wrote:I don't know if he did or not. We're not sure of Woody's role in that.

Still, holding Idzik accountable for Rex's shortcomings isn't fair in the least. If you want to bash Idzik, go ahead. I think he's made mistakes, too. But that one is misplaced blame.

I feel last year could have been Rex's last year as a Jets HC, and before December I was sure it was. So you feel there is a 50-50 chance Woody said, "you have no choice, you have to have 2 years of Rex now?"

neither of us know if that's true, fair statement. But from how Woody just framed Idzik in last week's interviews, you truly believe Woody said, "you have to keep Rex 2 years now" after last season?

Maybe you do feel that way. I'd be shocked if that was true. I honestly think there is about a 5% chance that happened. I do think Last year he had no choice, keep Rex 1 year. I do not think Woody said, "now make it 2." I dont believe that. I think Idzik decided on Rex new contract or not.

I'm not taking a shot at Idzik here, that's how I really feel. Rex coaching the Jets in 2014 was Idzik's choice. maybe it wasn't, but that's what I think happened.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 12:11

Do you mean for a second year, or for two years beyond last year?

Honestly, the thing about Rex last year is that the team was projected to be AWFUL. Just awful. They finished 8-8, and had a strong stretch run. It would have been very difficult for a first-year GM in Idzik to fire a popular coach on an upswing like that. I think Woody knew that, as well. Did Woody force the decision on Idzik? I have no way of knowing. My suspicion would be that it was a joint decision.

And at the time, it was an understandable decision. But Rex's leash had to be short going into this year, and he has already exhausted that leash.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 12:46

As Nick pointed out before(in this thread or another), the issues with Rex go back years regardless of personnel, gm, etc. It's like people talking about the "great secondaries" under Ryan. We had great secondaries in 2009 and 2010. That's it. Our secondaries were below average in 2011 and 2012, but statistically looked better because teams ran the ball down our throats. ever since the 2011 season, serious flaws in Ryan have been exposed. We ALL know that Idzik was forced to keep Ryan in 2013. Now, what we don't know is why he was brought back this year. MAYBE, he was asked to keep Ryan again. MAYBE, he felt it would be too long a wait to hire his guy(Quinn?). MAYBE, he wanted to see Smith with MM and company for another year to see if he was the answer at QB. Idzik has been upfront from the start about his intentions......... to build for sustainable success. He doesn't believe in quick fixes. He was a part of that process not only in Seattle, but in Tampa(Dungy is a huge advocate of Idzik) and to an extent in Arizona. Ryan's public bluster(and that of some players) obviously raised expectations for THIS season among some fans and media. That's not Idzik's fault either. Also, media members like Manish Mehta picked us to go 9-7 after the last preseason game. He saw who was and wasn't on this roster, he knew of Milliner's ankle, yet he still picked 9 wins. Now, he's hated Idzik from the start(no access), so he's blaming this start of the season on personnel rather than coaching. IMO, we had enough personnel to beat the Packers, Bears, and Lions. Coaching(including playing injured players in prominent roles), lack of discipline, and lack of preparation cost us three wins so far. IMO, while there is definite needs of personnel upgrades( I for one never expected that to be complete in year two), Ryan is not getting the most out of what he does have.
    Polishjetfan
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Polishjetfan Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 13:01

This whole situation is on the players and their lack of talent, particularly at WR. Cann't run the ball when the D is loading the box, can't keep our D off the field, no passing game to threaten down field to open up the field. The offense is a disaster.

Jets are looking to burn through 4 total qbs under the Rex regime. To me that points the wr core just being a disaster. Other facts to support that argument...

The jets have not had a single 1000 yrd receiver since 2008 w Favre. I highly doubt any other team can say that.

JJ Watt has as many TDs in 2014 than the Jets Wr core COMBINED w 3!!!!! 2 of them are from Decker who has played injured and only about half the season. It's a nightmare!!!

I have said this in other threads and I continue to believe to be true...

If the Jets had another wr capable of getting 1000 yards in a season then they would AT LEAST be 2-2 and this "sky is falling talk" would just stop.

If they had an AJ green, Dez Bryant, JJ, or Darious Thomas caliber wr the jets would likely be 4-1 and a top 5 team in the league.

To me a playmaking stud wr really does mean that much. It changes the entire completion of the team. Keep banging the "Geno isn't a franchise Qb" drum if you want but we could have Aaron Rogers w Bill Walsh as the coach and no one would have 1000 yrds recieving other than Decker.
    Polishjetfan
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Polishjetfan Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 13:07

To that end, imagine if we took Alshon Jeffery instead of Hill... FML
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 13:20

When he was drafted, Jeffery looked more like a guard than a WR.

Hindsight is 20/20.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 13:32

SackExchange wrote:When he was drafted, Jeffery looked more like a guard than a WR.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Here's a link with a Mayock reference to Jeffery.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/4/19/2960675/mike-mayock-colts-need-to-build-offense-around-andrew-luck

More weight concerns.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/24/alshon-jeffery-sheds-large-amount-of-weight-for-combine/

It's always easy to cherry pick who a team should've drafted after watching them perform at the NFL level.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 13:48

Corey Griffin @CoreyGriffinNBC · 22h 22 hours ago
    Jets coaching staff a day behind the story all week. Constantly reacting to stuff their players are saying to media day before. Not good.

Corey Griffin @CoreyGriffinNBC · Oct 8
    All of this speaks more to Demario Davis' point from Cortland and Sunday and backs what tape show. The team isn't ready to play on Sundays.

Maybe Manish will be getting some inside info after all..........

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 3h 3 hours ago
    And as @CoreyGriffinNBC pointed out, if things keep going south the mudslinging from Rex's camp in press will get nasty. Doesn't matter.

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 15:17

SackExchange wrote:I don't know if he did or not. We're not sure of Woody's role in that.

I also don't think Idzik is without blame I just think I GM needs more time than this for his plan for the team to be judged. No GM makes all the right moves it is the end result that matters.

I am judging Rex on his whole tenure here. When he was 1st hired his deficiencies could be overlooked but after all these years to see almost the same HC with just a little less bravado is enough for me to say it's time he was let go.
    Polishjetfan
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Polishjetfan Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 15:54

football51 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:When he was drafted, Jeffery looked more like a guard than a WR.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Here's a link with a Mayock reference to Jeffery.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/4/19/2960675/mike-mayock-colts-need-to-build-offense-around-andrew-luck

More weight concerns.

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/24/alshon-jeffery-sheds-large-amount-of-weight-for-combine/]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/24/alshon-jeffery-sheds-large-amount-of-weight-for-combine/[/
    It's always easy to cherry pick who a team should've drafted after watching them perform at the NFL level.

Ok ok whatever on Jeffery. That's not my point. My point is the team has the worst wr core in the league and it makes it almost impossible to move the ball w any consistency.

Does any other team have less production from their wrs when decker is not on the field?

Can any team say they have not had a single 1000 wr in the past 5 (going on 6) seasons?

Even Pennington said play calling is overrated.

You cant expect Rex or marty to coach a bunch of guys that are 3rd wrs at best!!! If you don't have the horses you can't win the race.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 11 Oct 2014 - 12:37

Dan Leberfeld @jetswhispers · 17m 17 minutes ago
    Browns getting a lot of good work from unsung receivers - Taylor Gabriel, Travis Benjamin, Andrew Hawkins. Hoyer elevating their play.

Dan Leberfeld @jetswhispers · 16m 16 minutes ago
    While you need weapons, the quarterback needs to deliver the ball on time and with accuracy - make good decisions. Hoyer does that.
    Polishjetfan
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Polishjetfan Sat 11 Oct 2014 - 13:54

football51 wrote:Dan Leberfeld @jetswhispers  ·  17m 17 minutes ago
    Browns getting a lot of good work from unsung receivers - Taylor Gabriel, Travis Benjamin, Andrew Hawkins. Hoyer elevating their play.

Dan Leberfeld @jetswhispers  ·  16m 16 minutes ago
    While you need weapons, the quarterback needs to deliver the ball on time and with accuracy - make good decisions. Hoyer does that.

We can keep burning through qbs and coaches but IMO nothing will change if we don't upgrade our wrs. History will just continue to repeat itself.

When decker isn't on the field Kerely is the teams number one recieving threat. I think it's fair to say that Kerley wouldn't see the field on some of the top offenses in the league such as Denver, Det, Atl, Dallas, the saints, philly, washinton, san fran, or even The Giants and those last few are not even considered top offenses.

You cannot just have "guys" out there catching the ball. I really dont think a small sample size of Hoyer counter acts the 5+ yrs of offensive struggles w pedestrian wr talent that this team has experianced.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 11 Oct 2014 - 14:08

I think you're severely underestimating Kerley by saying he wouldn't see the field on most of the teams you mentioned.
    Polishjetfan
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Polishjetfan Sat 11 Oct 2014 - 14:18

football51 wrote:I think you're severely underestimating Kerley by saying he wouldn't see the field on most of the teams you mentioned.

Well look at it...

He would be the 4th wr on den behind welker, same w Det behind their rookie shorts who burned the jets, he might not make the roster of Atl behind Douglas and Hester, would be 4th on the giants behind beckham and randell, would be 4th on San Fran behind Stevie Johnson, I know that in Washington their 3rd wr was supposed to be their 2nd before they got Jackson, and the white kid in Dallas makes plays but maybe kerely could beat him out but that's not saying much.

I know Kerely has made lots of plays for the inept jet offense, but in the context of the league his an adequate slot wr... Adequate...That's it
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sat 11 Oct 2014 - 14:28

football51 wrote:As Nick pointed out before(in this thread or another), the issues with Rex go back years regardless of personnel, gm, etc. It's like people talking about the "great secondaries" under Ryan. We had great secondaries in 2009 and 2010. That's it. Our secondaries were below average in 2011 and 2012, but statistically looked better because teams ran the ball down our throats. ever since the 2011 season, serious flaws in Ryan have been exposed. We ALL know that Idzik was forced to keep Ryan in 2013. Now, what we don't know is why he was brought back this year. MAYBE, he was asked to keep Ryan again. MAYBE, he felt it would be too long a wait to hire his guy(Quinn?). MAYBE, he wanted to see Smith with MM and company for another year to see if he was the answer at QB. Idzik has been upfront from the start about his intentions......... to build for sustainable success. He doesn't believe in quick fixes. He was a part of that process not only in Seattle, but in Tampa(Dungy is a huge advocate of Idzik) and to an extent in Arizona. Ryan's public bluster(and that of some players) obviously raised expectations for THIS season among some fans and media. That's not Idzik's fault either. Also, media members like Manish Mehta picked us to go 9-7 after the last preseason game. He saw who was and wasn't on this roster, he knew of Milliner's ankle, yet he still picked 9 wins. Now, he's hated Idzik from the start(no access), so he's blaming this start of the season on personnel rather than coaching. IMO, we had enough personnel to beat the Packers, Bears, and Lions. Coaching(including playing injured players in prominent roles), lack of discipline, and lack of preparation cost us three wins so far. IMO, while there is definite needs of personnel upgrades( I for one never expected that to be complete in year two), Ryan is not getting the most out of what he does have.

I'm just about 100% in agreement with you, 51.
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Sat 11 Oct 2014 - 15:14

Hindsight is 20/20.
    Depends on who's eyes yer looking through.
    Was there ever ANY doubt expressed in HYATT™️'s posts on Alshon Jeffery when we were all discussing drafting WRs in 2012 and people were lining up behind their favorite horses?

Blackmon, Floyd, Wright, Jenkins, Quick, Hill, Jeffery, Broyles, Randle, Posey, Graham, Sanu, Hilton, Givens, Benjamin, Adams, Wylie, Wright, Martin, Toon, etc. is how they came off the board but some folks wanted McNutt high, and others wanted Criner and Streeter a lot higher than they went too.
    HYATT™️, if the Mad Cow hasn't eaten away too much of his brain, recalls expressing his desire to see Hill, Jeffery, Quick, & Wright be considered, in that order - and defended Jeffery in multiple debates against this:

WEAKNESSES
    Jeffery is an elite jump-ball prospect, but he does not stand out as fast on tape and is such a long strider that at times he looks to be moving in slow motion.

(HYATT™️ equated him with another long-strider who moves with apparent slowness which is actually effortless gliding - Larry Fitzgerald.)

Speed will never be his game, but he needs to become more comfortable in his routes to work the corner and truly gain separation. The development of his route-running skills will be the key to his success. Jeffery was bit uncoordinated early in his career and only began to look comfortable in his body toward the end of his collegiate career.

(Yeah, it took all of 5 SECONDS for Alshon Jeffery to suddenly get "UN-uncoordinated" in CHI.  Razz )

The only mistake HYATT™️ made was in believing Hill could become an even better WR than Jeffery, but acknowledged Hill's deficit of experience at GT and longer development cycle.

As for Kerley, HYATT™️ reflects back on Laveranues Coles and how playing with Favre turned him into the STUD of the 2008 WR core.
    Who plays QB certainly has an impact on receiver production.
    Kerley is not exactly Pro Bowl material, but with no alternative WRs on the field he's going to get a certain number of looks and catch a certain number of balls he wouldn't otherwise on some other teams.
    Does HYATT™️ believe he is NFL caliber?
    In part, because he's doing the job already, but ask HYATT™️ if he'd replace Kerley in a heartbeat if an even marginally better WR came available and the answer will be "yes, most assuredly".
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Sat 11 Oct 2014 - 16:13

HYATT™️ wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20.
    Depends on who's eyes yer looking through.
    Was there ever ANY doubt expressed in HYATT™️'s posts on Alshon Jeffery when we were all discussing drafting WRs in 2012 and people were lining up behind their favorite horses?

Blackmon, Floyd, Wright, Jenkins, Quick, Hill, Jeffery, Broyles, Randle, Posey, Graham, Sanu, Hilton, Givens, Benjamin, Adams, Wylie, Wright, Martin, Toon, etc. is how they came off the board but some folks wanted McNutt high, and others wanted Criner and Streeter a lot higher than they went too.
    HYATT™️, if the Mad Cow hasn't eaten away too much of his brain, recalls expressing his desire to see Hill, Jeffery, Quick, & Wright be considered, in that order - and defended Jeffery in multiple debates against this:

WEAKNESSES
    Jeffery is an elite jump-ball prospect, but he does not stand out as fast on tape and is such a long strider that at times he looks to be moving in slow motion.

(HYATT™️ equated him with another long-strider who moves with apparent slowness which is actually effortless gliding - Larry Fitzgerald.)

Speed will never be his game, but he needs to become more comfortable in his routes to work the corner and truly gain separation. The development of his route-running skills will be the key to his success. Jeffery was bit uncoordinated early in his career and only began to look comfortable in his body toward the end of his collegiate career.

(Yeah, it took all of 5 SECONDS for Alshon Jeffery to suddenly get "UN-uncoordinated" in CHI.  Razz )

The only mistake HYATT™️ made was in believing Hill could become an even better WR than Jeffery, but acknowledged Hill's deficit of experience at GT and longer development cycle.

As for Kerley, HYATT™️ reflects back on Laveranues Coles and how playing with Favre turned him into the STUD of the 2008 WR core.
    Who plays QB certainly has an impact on receiver production.
    Kerley is not exactly Pro Bowl material, but with no alternative WRs on the field he's going to get a certain number of looks and catch a certain number of balls he wouldn't otherwise on some other teams.
    Does HYATT™️ believe he is NFL caliber?
    In part, because he's doing the job already, but ask HYATT™️ if he'd replace Kerley in a heartbeat if an even marginally better WR came available and the answer will be "yes, most assuredly".

You still love Stephen Hill, and you think Kerley's a marginal WR?

I don't care where Kerley's playing, he's demonstrated that he belongs in the NFL. And he belongs on this team. I would argue he'd be a solid #3 on any NFL team.

He's so far better than Stephen Hill, I can barely type this without laughing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 12 May 2024 - 23:56