Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+27
football51
skop
SackExchange
Seaver
DonMaynard
McJet
jamesfyo123
Blindsidebrick
Polishjetfan
GratefulJet
WilliesDad
Metjetgal
MachinaVerde
Atljet60
The Wicker Man
Old#15
trico990
Lakerfan1980
LIJETFAN
HYATT™
hobson54
danfran
lnap23
soj
NickSINYC
JohnnyBaseball
Superman55
31 posters

Geno Smith

The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Geno Smith - Page 12 Empty Re: Geno Smith

Post by The Wicker Man Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 14:21

Seaver wrote:if available, I'd take a shot at Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Hell, I'd consider Matt Schaub.

Don't laugh, but I would give Matt Moore a look.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 14:28

MAtt Moore is nothing to laugh at... If he was our QB this year we would be above .500
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 14:36

cysporsche wrote:I have not read above, I was lazy and hit reply. I think we need to hold onto Geno to compete. One thing Geno has over most other QB's is his God given foot speed, he is a great athlete, and has a cannon of an arm.

I think the game is slowing down for Geno, and he's not as afraid to stand in the pocket with the 1st wave of pass rushers. He needs to plant his feet after he steps into the pocket, as he's reading his options, then chuck it !

I want Geno back next year to compete for a starting job.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Cy... really he made many bad throws yesterday that were off balanced back foot throws...  His weigh distribution was terrible.  He still hasn't learned from his mistakes and like Mark disappears during the game... I am sorry but I seen enough.  keep him as a back-up if you must but be forewarned he will throw ints, made poor decisions and cost you games.

BTW how many INTS has he now compared to TDs?

Last edited by soj on Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 15:51; edited 1 time in total
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 15:11

The Wicker Man wrote:
    Seaver wrote:if available, I'd take a shot at Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Hell, I'd consider Matt Schaub.

Don't laugh, but I would give Matt Moore a look.

I would take Matt Moore over Matt Schaub in a second
    JohnnyBaseball
    JohnnyBaseball
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by JohnnyBaseball Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 16:16

I can't believe what I'm hearing! You guys really think that Geno played well enough yesterday to warrant getting another chance next year? I definitely don't. He has 10 touchdowns this year. Is that really good enough? No games with more than 2 touchdowns. Only three games this season with more touchdowns than interceptions.

How about October 26 against the Bills? 2 out of 8 for a grand total of 5 yards! With three interceptions!

October 5 against San Diego? 4 out of 12 for 27 yards, one interception.

How about December 1 against the Dolphins? 7 out of 13 for 65 yards, no touchdowns, one interception.

Those are all games the team lost. We want to continue handing the ball to this guy? Why? The amount of improvement that would have to occur before Geno would even be a middle of the road QB is so great that there's virtually no chance whatsoever that he becomes a top 10 QB, which is what you actually need to be a good football team year in and year out.

At the very least, we need someone who can hit the long pass when it is open, which Geno has proven on multiple occasions that he cannot.
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 16:32

JohnnyBaseball wrote:I can't believe what I'm hearing! You guys really think that Geno played well enough yesterday to warrant getting another chance next year? I definitely don't. He has 10 touchdowns this year. Is that really good enough? No games with more than 2 touchdowns. Only three games this season with more touchdowns than interceptions.

How about October 26 against the Bills? 2 out of 8 for a grand total of 5 yards! With three interceptions!

How about December 1 against the Dolphins? 7 out of 13 for 65 yards, no touchdowns, one interception.

Those are all games the team lost. We want to continue handing the ball to this guy? Why? The amount of improvement that would have to occur before Geno would even be a middle of the road QB is so great that there's virtually no chance whatsoever that he becomes a top 10 QB, which is what you actually need to be a good football team year in and year out.

At the very least, we need someone who can hit the long pass when it is open, which Geno has proven on multiple occasions that he cannot.
    JB, everyone wants competition brought in through free agency and the draft. I think what you're reading is that some think he can be a viable back-up. I don't think anyone wants to just hand him the keys next year.
    JohnnyBaseball
    JohnnyBaseball
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by JohnnyBaseball Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 16:49

The Wicker Man wrote:
    JB, everyone wants competition brought in through free agency and the draft. I think what you're reading is that some think he can be a viable back-up. I don't think anyone wants to just hand him the keys next year.

I would certainly hope no one is willing to just hand him the keys next year! I don't even see that he deserves to compete to be a back up. He's been absolutely terrible all season long. Personally, I've seen nothing to suggest that he can be successful in this league, at all, even as a back up. He doesn't do anything particularly well, with the possible exception of running, which isn't really anything I want my QB to be doing, IMO.

I guess I'm sick of waiting for incremental improvements that are so marginal, we can't even agree whether they've happened or not. I want a player who, when you watch them, you don't say "oh, well, maybe with time, they could improve," but rather, "oh, that's a good player! I'm impressed by the things he is able to do!" Like Sheldon Richardson. I realize this is an unscientific approach to player evaluation! But I don't think Geno has passed the "eye test," and his stats are certainly awful, too. I just think we can do better than this. I actually don't think we could do worse.
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 16:58

I'm in your camp, JB. I think he blows.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 18:22

Peace Jet brothers peace ! My point was I know Geno sucked this year, but call me an idiot or a Jet homer, but I saw improvement in his playing.

Yes, I want a better QB for the Jets, but I'd rather have Geno than Vick & Simms, or Brunell as back-ups. He's a great athlete, watch his foot work.

Go Jets...Cyborg santa
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 20:33

Jetski wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:Geno is basically Sanchez, with a lesser team around him. He had a pretty rough first year but with enough flashes to provide hope. His second year was marginally better in terms of quantifiables, but not enough to really offer long-term hope.

He may be serviceable in the right system, the way Sanchez has become, but he will never be the guy. And if the Jets stick with him, it would be further evidence of a franchise that does not learn from its mistakes.

You, 55 and the rest of this well rspected board know very well my stance on Geno Smith well before the season started.

I couldn't agree more on how you stated what Geno is.  He will be a career back up at best. What he demonstrated today is the pure definition of "FOOLS GOLD".  He steps up when there really isn't any pressure whatsoever.  As he did late last year.
    He got us all thinking he "MIGHT BE IMPROVING". In fact, as opposed as i was against him starting this season, i concede to those such as yourself who stated let him play it out to see what we have.  I wanted Vick, but in retrospect, it would have impeded the organization to see what they had in Geno Smith.

It's time ladies and gentlement to move on from Geno. I'am sure next year Geno will still be on the roster and will show "flashes" as he did in the preseason and early couple of games, until he unravels into what he really is, a mediocre signal caller.
    Jets fans, be prepared to hear the same thing from Geno next year.  "He looks more mature" He seems to get it"  "He's been hitting the playbook hard", "He's coming in to prove his case".  All this none sense IMHO means nothing because we heard it before with Mark.  As Sack eluded to, Geno is the same exact player.  We need to upgrade this position.

Woody Johnson knows he has to make some executive decisons in order to right this ship.  The team has a little bit under $50 mil under the cap. Free agents will be brought in to fill the much needed voids as it was in the 2008 which became our backbone for Rex's teams when he took over in '09.  In saying so, i would not be in the least surprised if Woody presses the new GM to trade 2 to 3 1st round picks in order to move up to the #1 overall draft pick in order to get Marcus Mariota.

Of course that would divide the fan base as many want to keep those picks yet others want a franchise QB that we've lacked for so long.  The past three 1st round picks have been very well below average at best with the exception of the Revis deal in which we got Sheldon.

I'am in no way expecting a low key off season in 2015.

I am trying to understand why you and so many other fans reject the notion of a young QB developing and improving incrementally.  The Andrew Lucks and Russell Wilsons are very much the exceptions, most young QBs take time to learn the game and develop, especially when it comes to reading defenses.  It usually takes two to three seasons.  It makes me crazy, this notion that if Geno doesn't have a perfect game, he sucks.  Watch the game film from yesterday with an open mind and it will be impossible not to see the signs of improvement, and it has nothing to do with Geno's numbers; Geno is doing a FAR better job with his progressions, a far better job of not locking onto one receiver, a far better job of pocket awareness and movement.  That does not mean that he is perfect in any of those areas, yes, he still makes mistakes - but he is improving, so how on earth can you be so certain less than two seasons into his career that his ceiling is a mediocre QB?  He's got the arm strength and athleticism, the foot speed and competitiveness.  And resilience; if you think about it, it is really impressive that after he was so awful, especially in that game vs. the Bills with three horrible interceptions, he has been able to bounce back and play smarter and with confidence.  I see no reason that with adequate time to develop he can't become a really good QB in this league.  I could see going for Mariota, because he looks extraordinary, but short of that, I'd much rather that the Jets focus on filling other holes, like OL and CB.

i'am officially done. How can anyone still want to develop another David Klingler, Jamarcus Russell, Andre Ware, Browning Nagle clone???

1st it was because he had no supporting cast.
    2nd we have to give him the entire 2014 season to properly be evaluated.
    3rd it's gotta be the coaching staff

Is Woody really going to exhaust more than he has to on A 2ND ROUND PICK who is absolutely worthless & shown no improvement?
    Idzik surrounded him with a quality group out there from his rookie year and he did, not only bad but horrendously worse week to week. The guy didn't show any improvement whatsoever with the likes of Harvin, Decker, CJ2K, and Amaro. AND WHAT WAS THE RESULT?
    Here's the Result in case any one missed it: A 3-12 out come with a top five overall pick looming.  This is a player who management has to be patient with?

I could understand if Geno was a 1st round top 10 pick. But let's be sincerely honest, the guy has been a complete flop.  Week to week the guy has regressed.  The games that are meaningless, I'm supposed to evaluate with an "open mind" and get fooled like the majority late last year did? Absolutely not.  When the games mattered , he throws three interceptions. When the games mattered he fumbled. When he fails he gives his own fans the middle finger. When the games matter he misses a team meeting. When he plays horrible the whole season, he becomes delusional and states he had "PRO BOWL MOMENTS"?!!!!

The new GM and the new Head Coach will realize that their respective predecessors fate were determined by the play of an inept Quarterback named Geno Smith.  I highly doubt they would choose that avenue to start their regime here in NY.

Geno smith, (scoff).
    Jetski
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Jetski Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 6:18

JohnnyBaseball wrote:I can't believe what I'm hearing! You guys really think that Geno played well enough yesterday to warrant getting another chance next year? I definitely don't. He has 10 touchdowns this year. Is that really good enough? No games with more than 2 touchdowns. Only three games this season with more touchdowns than interceptions.

Actually, last season (2013) Geno was seventh best in the entire NFL in completing deep passes, so he has proven that he can do it. And without intending to be offensive, I find your post just silly, citing bad games that he has had, as though for a second year QB that proves that he can't do better as he gains more experience. We all know about the awful games that Geno has had, so anyone who still wants to give him a chance - it is not because of his stats, it is because of the physical talent he has and the flashes he has shown. When Geno's footwork is good his accuracy is excellent, so if he improves in that area alone one could expect significantly better results. Better pass protection and a big fast WR wouldn't hurt either.
    Jetski
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Jetski Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 6:30

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    Jetski wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:Geno is basically Sanchez, with a lesser team around him. He had a pretty rough first year but with enough flashes to provide hope. His second year was marginally better in terms of quantifiables, but not enough to really offer long-term hope.

He may be serviceable in the right system, the way Sanchez has become, but he will never be the guy. And if the Jets stick with him, it would be further evidence of a franchise that does not learn from its mistakes.

You, 55 and the rest of this well rspected board know very well my stance on Geno Smith well before the season started.

I couldn't agree more on how you stated what Geno is.  He will be a career back up at best. What he demonstrated today is the pure definition of "FOOLS GOLD".  He steps up when there really isn't any pressure whatsoever.  As he did late last year.
    He got us all thinking he "MIGHT BE IMPROVING". In fact, as opposed as i was against him starting this season, i concede to those such as yourself who stated let him play it out to see what we have.  I wanted Vick, but in retrospect, it would have impeded the organization to see what they had in Geno Smith.

It's time ladies and gentlement to move on from Geno. I'am sure next year Geno will still be on the roster and will show "flashes" as he did in the preseason and early couple of games, until he unravels into what he really is, a mediocre signal caller.
    Jets fans, be prepared to hear the same thing from Geno next year.  "He looks more mature" He seems to get it"  "He's been hitting the playbook hard", "He's coming in to prove his case".  All this none sense IMHO means nothing because we heard it before with Mark.  As Sack eluded to, Geno is the same exact player.  We need to upgrade this position.

Woody Johnson knows he has to make some executive decisons in order to right this ship.  The team has a little bit under $50 mil under the cap. Free agents will be brought in to fill the much needed voids as it was in the 2008 which became our backbone for Rex's teams when he took over in '09.  In saying so, i would not be in the least surprised if Woody presses the new GM to trade 2 to 3 1st round picks in order to move up to the #1 overall draft pick in order to get Marcus Mariota.

Of course that would divide the fan base as many want to keep those picks yet others want a franchise QB that we've lacked for so long.  The past three 1st round picks have been very well below average at best with the exception of the Revis deal in which we got Sheldon.

I am trying to understand why you and so many other fans reject the notion of a young QB developing and improving incrementally.  The Andrew Lucks and Russell Wilsons are very much the exceptions, most young QBs take time to learn the game and develop, especially when it comes to reading defenses.  It usually takes two to three seasons.  It makes me crazy, this notion that if Geno doesn't have a perfect game, he sucks.  Watch the game film from yesterday with an open mind and it will be impossible not to see the signs of improvement, and it has nothing to do with Geno's numbers; Geno is doing a FAR better job with his progressions, a far better job of not locking onto one receiver, a far better job of pocket awareness and movement.  That does not mean that he is perfect in any of those areas, yes, he still makes mistakes - but he is improving, so how on earth can you be so certain less than two seasons into his career that his ceiling is a mediocre QB?  He's got the arm strength and athleticism, the foot speed and competitiveness.  And resilience; if you think about it, it is really impressive that after he was so awful, especially in that game vs. the Bills with three horrible interceptions, he has been able to bounce back and play smarter and with confidence.  I see no reason that with adequate time to develop he can't become a really good QB in this league.  I could see going for Mariota, because he looks extraordinary, but short of that, I'd much rather that the Jets focus on filling other holes, like OL and CB.

i'am officially done. How can anyone still want to develop another David Klingler, Jamarcus Russell, Andre Ware, Browning Nagle clone???

Is Woody really going to exhaust more than he has to on A 2ND ROUND PICK who is absolutely worthless & shown no improvement?
    Idzik surrounded him with a quality group out there from his rookie year and he did, not only bad but horrendously worse week to week. The guy didn't show any improvement whatsoever with the likes of Harvin, Decker, CJ2K, and Amaro. AND WHAT WAS THE RESULT?
    Here's the Result in case any one missed it: A 3-12 out come with a top five overall pick looming.  This is a player who management has to be patient with?

I could understand if Geno was a 1st round top 10 pick. But let's be sincerely honest, the guy has been a complete flop.  Week to week the guy has regressed.  The games that are meaningless, I'm supposed to evaluate with an "open mind" and get fooled like the majority late last year did? Absolutely not.  When the games mattered , he throws three interceptions. When the games mattered he fumbled. When he fails he gives his own fans the middle finger. When the games matter he misses a team meeting. When he plays horrible the whole season, he becomes delusional and states he had "PRO BOWL MOMENTS"?!!!!

The new GM and the new Head Coach will realize that their respective predecessors fate were determined by the play of an inept Quarterback named Geno Smith.  I highly doubt they would choose that avenue to start their regime here in NY.

Geno smith, (scoff).

Look, I think your post is highly emotional and I think that you present things in a misleading way - e.g. the missed meeting, for which he was not even disciplined by the team because it was a time zone related mixup that has happened to numerous players, and because he has generally been described as a hard worker who is typically first in the building and last out, who reviews tons of video on his own time, etc.. But mainly, I totally disagree with your assessment that he has shown no improvement, I think he has shown significant improvement in several key areas, like reading defenses and looking off his receiver, etc.. I have no problem with you being of the opinion that Geno sucks, but why not respect other people's right to disagree with you?
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 12:45

cysporsche wrote:Peace Jet brothers peace ! My point was I know Geno sucked this year, but call me an idiot or a Jet homer, but I saw improvement in his playing.

Yes, I want a better QB for the Jets, but I'd rather have Geno than Vick & Simms, or Brunell as back-ups. He's a great athlete, watch his foot work.

Go Jets...Cyborg santa

yet his footwork is not good...........he sails the ball waaaaaay too often.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 12:51

As a hue Geno homer, I'm amongst the most disappointed in his 2014 performance, and I think he goes into 2015 just having to prove he deserves to be on the roster.

I think it's hard to have that indepth of a QB discussion at this stage without knowing who our HC, OC, and QB coach is.

If Idzik is fired, there is a high likelihood Geno's roster spot is at risk.  He'll be challenged by likely two new QBs brought in by the new GM and the new Gm's HC/OC molding them.  Geno will have an up hill battle sticking unless he makes huge strides.  

I could say it on every thread, but this is going to be a very exciting offseason.

Last edited by Superman55 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 12:53; edited 1 time in total
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 12:53

Jetski wrote:

Actually, last season (2013) Geno was seventh best in the entire NFL in completing deep passes, so he has proven that he can do it.  And without intending to be offensive, I find your post just silly, citing bad games that he has had, as though for a second year QB that proves that he can't do better as he gains more experience.  We all know about the awful games that Geno has had, so anyone who still wants to give him a chance - it is not because of his stats, it is because of the physical talent he has and the flashes he has shown.  When Geno's footwork is good his accuracy is excellent, so if he improves in that area alone one could expect significantly better results.  Better pass protection and a big fast WR wouldn't hurt either.

I can hit a few passes if given protection and better receivers. Physical attributes should NOT be yours or anyone's key defense item of Geno. That's how busts are drafted.......everyone swoons over the size/speed but neglect the GLARING red flags with football IQ. You can't play QB in the NFL at a consistent high level if you are football stupid. Not gonna happen. Is anyone more gifted than Jay Cutler? Yet we see that meathead week in week out make head scratching choices.

Geno does not cut it in the football IQ arena. He is destined to be a backup who will fool some HC down the road into giving him another shot. You can't just run a play - you have to understand the play - that way you can recognize when an audible is needed based on defensive alignment/personnel. You can't be a robot as so many of these kids are being taught to be these days.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 15:12

Jetski wrote:

Actually, last season (2013) Geno was seventh best in the entire NFL in completing deep passes, so he has proven that he can do it.  And without intending to be offensive, I find your post just silly, citing bad games that he has had, as though for a second year QB that proves that he can't do better as he gains more experience.  We all know about the awful games that Geno has had, so anyone who still wants to give him a chance - it is not because of his stats, it is because of the physical talent he has and the flashes he has shown.  When Geno's footwork is good his accuracy is excellent, so if he improves in that area alone one could expect significantly better results.  Better pass protection and a big fast WR wouldn't hurt either.

Call me silly but wasn't that what they have been working on for two years with QB coach David Lee?  Yet he still throws the majority of his passes off his back foot,  still throws into double coverage while locking on to his primary receiver, he has never been successful going though his progressions without a a sack or Int...

Last edited by soj on Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 18:11; edited 1 time in total
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 15:15

Seaver wrote:
    Jetski wrote:

I can hit a few passes if given protection and better receivers.  Physical attributes should NOT be yours or anyone's key defense item of Geno.  That's how busts are drafted.......everyone swoons over the size/speed but neglect the GLARING red flags with football IQ.  You can't play QB in the NFL at a consistent high level if you are football stupid.  Not gonna happen.  Is anyone more gifted than Jay Cutler?  Yet we see that meathead week in week out make head scratching choices.  

Geno does not cut it in the football IQ arena.  He is destined to be a backup who will fool some HC down the road into giving him another shot.  You can't just run a play - you have to understand the play - that way you can recognize when an audible is needed based on defensive alignment/personnel.  You can't be a robot as so many of these kids are being taught to be these days.

I am with you ... on Scout board someone posted his workaholic score of 24 mark S had 32 enough said...
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 15:57

I didn't like the Geno pick. I was starting to like what I saw this past off season but was let down as we went into the season. I am still not very high on Geno but I think I have seen enough from a 2nd year QB to think he deserves a chance to compete for a roster spot next year. He is still under contract and could provide depth while trying to improve his game which at his age is very possible. I still want a vet QB plus a high draft pick brought in to compete with him more likely ahead of him.It's not time to just cut bait with him.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Tue 23 Dec 2014 - 22:25

Jetski wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    Jetski wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

Geno smith, (scoff).

Look, I think your post is highly emotional and I think that you present things in a misleading way - e.g. the missed meeting, for which he was not even disciplined by the team because it was a time zone related mixup that has happened to numerous players, and because he has generally been described as a hard worker who is typically first in the building and last out, who reviews tons of video on his own time, etc..  But mainly, I totally disagree with your assessment that he has shown no improvement, I think he has shown significant improvement in several key areas, like reading defenses and looking off his receiver, etc..  I have no problem with you being of the opinion that Geno sucks, but why not respect other people's right to disagree with you?

"Highly Emotional"?  Now that takes the cake. There were expectations this year my friend. An expectation that exceeded an 8-8 squad from '13 that as many fans had stated before, "Maybe with better quality players around him, he may be able to grow".  The guy, with a better supporting cast has led this team to a 3 win season.  How else is a true Jets fans not going to get "EMOTIONAL"?

"SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT"??!!  If the "Emotional" part took the cake, this by far takes the bakery.
    Please tell me what Meaningful game he's shown improvement. That's all i ask. Gonna go back to week 2 vs Green Bay? No problem, The following Monday night his 1st pass attempt he spotted Chicago 7 points.
    -Week 4 vs Detroit a fumble an interception and a blown winning drive. (GOING GREAT SO FAR HUH?, LET ME PROCEED). -Week 5, Rex had enough and had to pull the guy cause he was purely detrimental to the team. (wasn't this the game he missed the team meeting-blown over proportion right?).  
    -Week 6, Denver. The guy did good, but choked when it mattered the most (seems like his 'm-o".
    -Week 7, best game he played all season vs the Pats, many thought he'd turn the corner in the coming weeks.  
    -Week 8, Let me remind all the pro-Geno fans what happened to this guy who shows "Significant improvement": Throws 3 interceptions in the 1st quarter & gets pulled.  At this point the organization got the idea they have the epitomy of any erratic QB on their hands, no better than a career backup.  
    -Week 9- Vick starts.
    -Week 10 vick starts again.
    -Week 12 Geno gets re-inserted into the starting role mid game and throws for 89 yards vs the Buffalo Bills (in which i might add the team had an extra day added on top of their bye week and practiced more than the Bills due too their blizzard that forced the game to be played in Detroit)
    -Week 13, Geno is re-named the starter. The coaching staff make it a point to not let this guy ruin any chances of losing the game and rush the hell out of CJ2k & Ivory.  Geno ends up with 65 total passing yards. (correct me if i'am wrong but throwing for 89 yards in 1/2 a game vs Buffalo, then 65 yards the whole game vs Miami, that's called "Regressing" not so much of a significant improvement.
    -Week 14, he plays imho, excellent vs the Vikings but then vs a garbage team who hold the #1 overall pick vs the Titans can only garner 16 points?
    Week 16, he plays well but throws a costly pick then takes a heart wrenching sack in the final minutes of the game???

I do respect your opinion, as long as you can respect the actual and evident "Facts" that Geno Smith is absolutely not IMPROVING at any aspect of his game.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 14:46

NYJETSDAN16... well said and accurate... anyone who thinks this guy is anything but at best a back-up should call me I ahve some land to sell in AZ..
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 15:44

soj wrote:NYJETSDAN16... well said and accurate... anyone who thinks this guy is anything but at best a back-up should call me I ahve some land to sell in AZ..

JMO but back QB is an important position. Every team needs one and not all have a good one.

BTW I agree I think he is going to be a career backup but I have been known to be wrong. I will try and stay positive that a 2nd year QB who has shown flashes can get his act together and fool me.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 16:28

NickSINYC wrote:I didn't like the Geno pick. I was starting to like what I saw this past off season but was let down as we went into the season. I am still not very high on Geno but I think I have seen enough from a 2nd year QB to think he deserves a chance to compete for a roster spot next year. He is still under contract and could provide depth while trying to improve his game which at his age is very possible. I still want a vet QB plus a high draft pick brought in to compete with him more likely ahead of him.It's not time to just cut bait with him.

I agree. Geno has all the tools but he was raw... he needed 2 years behind a veteran... I know how much you wanted Sanchez gone but that injury really hurt us... A healthy Sanchez would have been fine last year.. He couldn't have done worse than Geno did and in all likely hood better. But the real problem with the injury was forcing Geno to start and not getting at least a year to just focus on his craft.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Thu 25 Dec 2014 - 15:02

lnap23 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:I didn't like the Geno pick. I was starting to like what I saw this past off season but was let down as we went into the season. I am still not very high on Geno but I think I have seen enough from a 2nd year QB to think he deserves a chance to compete for a roster spot next year. He is still under contract and could provide depth while trying to improve his game which at his age is very possible. I still want a vet QB plus a high draft pick brought in to compete with him more likely ahead of him.It's not time to just cut bait with him.

I agree.  Geno has all the tools but he was raw... he needed 2 years behind a veteran... I know how much you wanted Sanchez gone but that injury really hurt us... A healthy Sanchez would have been fine last year.. He couldn't have done worse than Geno did and in all likely hood better. But the real problem with the injury was forcing Geno to start and not getting at least a year to just focus on his craft.

Gents, with all due respect here are his stats...

Record as a starter = 10-18
    2014 QBR 70.9 (only two worse)
    INTs = 34
    Fumbles = 6
    Overall QBR = 68.4

Enough with potential and he has all the tools  ...what you have seen and seem to continue to ignore is he is just plain bad.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 25 Dec 2014 - 15:59

soj wrote:
    lnap23 wrote:

I agree.  Geno has all the tools but he was raw... he needed 2 years behind a veteran... I know how much you wanted Sanchez gone but that injury really hurt us... A healthy Sanchez would have been fine last year.. He couldn't have done worse than Geno did and in all likely hood better. But the real problem with the injury was forcing Geno to start and not getting at least a year to just focus on his craft.

INTs = 34
    Fumbles = 6
    Overall QBR = 68.4

Enough with potential and he has all the tools  ...what you have seen and seem to continue to ignore is he is just plain bad.

I hate to be in a position to have to defemd Geno because as I have stated I am not his biggest fan. All I am saying is he is under contract and he does have the tools. He was raw coming out of college and has only played 2 years for an offensive deficient HC. Lets see what he can do under a new coaching staff before we write him off.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Thu 25 Dec 2014 - 15:59

soj wrote:
    lnap23 wrote:

INTs = 34
    Fumbles = 6
    Overall QBR = 68.4

What I find interestingly comical is when people begin to mention Geno under the same breath along side Aikman, Bradshaw & Peyton Manning when speaking about the first years of the interception issues.
    The respective teams that invested so much in those players saw talent in spurts and built around that specific QB.  GENO HAS SHOWN NOTHING. Even with an upgraded supporting cast.
    I can't stress enough on what I stated before;

The new Regime will fully understand that the main culprit that led to the dismisaal of their predecessors is the horrid play at the QB position which is Geno Smith.

Forget about "Developing" the player. There is nothing to develop if the guy has no brain between the ears to grow. The guy was a waste of a draft pick.  I wouldn't even want him as a backup.  The guy is delusional. "Pro bowl Flashes"?  After taking a sack this last game vs the Pats, "I think I played good"?
    Dude has no accountability whatsoever.

Casserely & Wolf will diagnose this issue instantaneously.  There is no reason for a new GM and a New head coach to waste yet another season in developing such a wasted 2nd round draft pick that chooses to go around with Jay z to functions rather than work harder on his deficiencies.
    Geno will have more than 99 problems after Sundays game, Thank goodness for that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024 - 1:59