Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+27
football51
skop
SackExchange
Seaver
DonMaynard
McJet
jamesfyo123
Blindsidebrick
Polishjetfan
GratefulJet
WilliesDad
Metjetgal
MachinaVerde
Atljet60
The Wicker Man
Old#15
trico990
Lakerfan1980
LIJETFAN
HYATT™
hobson54
danfran
lnap23
soj
NickSINYC
JohnnyBaseball
Superman55
31 posters

Geno Smith

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Geno Smith - Page 7 Empty Re: Geno Smith

Post by Superman55 Thu 16 Oct 2014 - 13:40

Polishjetfan wrote:It shocks me how people do not see the pattern that's developed w this team. People have also ways been critical of Rex's ability to coach offense and much of that is justified. But people have also been critical of Sanchez, Vick, Tebow (which is obv justified IMO), and Sims. They have also been critical of Shotty, Sporano, and Marty.

IMO The reason anyone ever criticizes coaches and and play calling is because of a lack of talent. Players not named Decker or Amaro are not getting open because they just are not any good!!! Call whatever play u want, if the player sucks they will prob not be open. It's just that simple. This team has not had a single 1000 yrd capable wr on the squad since 2011 and no 1000 yrd wr seasons since 2008!!!

From what I have seen, Geno has not had any open wrs for the majority of the season and when he has had them he usually hits them as long as he has protection, which has also been lacking. Is it Geno's fault the recovers dropped 6 passes against the Lions? Is it his fault that he looks "scared" Bc no one is open so he has to choose to run, throw the ball away, or force it into a very small window?

Get another legit wr or 2 on this team and defenses will respect the pass more, making more room to run, open up space for underneath routs, and just get more open making Geno look like a real Qb. At this point defenses do not have to concede anything to our wrs Bc they all suck except decker.

Play calling because pretty easy when the team has guys that can actually play.

J-E-T-S

This is very true...but we destroyed a young QB in the process. So now we need another young QB and all you said above.

I wonder whose job it is to acquire said talent... scratch
    JohnnyBaseball
    JohnnyBaseball
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by JohnnyBaseball Thu 16 Oct 2014 - 13:43

Polishjetfan wrote:It shocks me how people do not see the pattern that's developed w this team. People have also ways been critical of Rex's ability to coach offense and much of that is justified. But people have also been critical of Sanchez, Vick, Tebow (which is obv justified IMO), and Sims. They have also been critical of Shotty, Sporano, and Marty.

IMO The reason anyone ever criticizes coaches and and play calling is because of a lack of talent. Players not named Decker or Amaro are not getting open because they just are not any good!!! Call whatever play u want, if the player sucks they will prob not be open. It's just that simple. This team has not had a single 1000 yrd capable wr on the squad since 2011 and no 1000 yrd wr seasons since 2008!!!

From what I have seen, Geno has not had any open wrs for the majority of the season and when he has had them he usually hits them as long as he has protection, which has also been lacking. Is it Geno's fault the recovers dropped 6 passes against the Lions? Is it his fault that he looks "scared" Bc no one is open so he has to choose to run, throw the ball away, or force it into a very small window?

Get another legit wr or 2 on this team and defenses will respect the pass more, making more room to run, open up space for underneath routs, and just get more open making Geno look like a real Qb. At this point defenses do not have to concede anything to our wrs Bc they all suck except decker.

Play calling because pretty easy when the team has guys that can actually play.

Good post. I definitely agree with the first part about how we don't really have a capable receiving corps. I kinda also feel like Geno is making some really bad throws, though (and you really don't need THAT many really bad throws before they mess up your game). Better receivers might catch some of them, though.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 16 Oct 2014 - 15:50

Then why was Sanchez still a bottom 5 qb with the likes of Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery, Keller, Thomas Jones, LT, Leon Washington, etc.? Play calling, talent at qb, and talent at skill positions all play a roll.

Also, Idzik inherited Kerley and Powell and nothing else. He's added Ivory, Amaro, and Decker who I think we can all agree we like. It takes time, because outside of the defensive line with Wilkerson & Snacks, Idzik didn't inherit too much in the way of young talent. He's had(and still remains) holes to fill.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 16 Oct 2014 - 16:16

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 2h 2 hours ago
    #Jets don't have worst skill position group in the #NFL, bottom third? Sure. Not worst. Not even really close.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 2h 2 hours ago
    Will say it again and it is indictment of Geno/MM. Plenty of teams doing more with less than Decker, Amaro, Kerley, Ivory at skill positions

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 4h 4 hours ago
    Guessing he didn't forget how to play WR, Marty. RT @BrianCoz Jeremy Kerley had 7 catches vs. Bears. He has 5 total in three games since.

Brian Costello @BrianCoz · 4h 4 hours ago
    I asked Kerley this week about it: “I have no idea. ... Every receiver wants more than two or three targets, but it is what it is.“ #nyj

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Thu 16 Oct 2014 - 17:11

football51 wrote:Then why was Sanchez still a bottom 5 qb with the likes of Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery, Keller, Thomas Jones, LT, Leon Washington, etc.? Play calling, talent at qb, and talent at skill positions all play a roll.

Also, Idzik inherited Kerley and Powell and nothing else. He's added Ivory, Amaro, and Decker who I think we can all agree we like. It takes time, because outside of the defensive line with Wilkerson & Snacks, Idzik didn't inherit too much in the way of young talent. He's had(and still remains) holes to fill.

+1

Some criticism of Idzik is valid, which is the case for almost any GM. The difference is, when you're losing, fans and media need a fall guy. So they dissect the GM in every imaginable way for answers, and second guess everything.

Good points on what Idzik stepped into. It was pretty much a rebuild, with a 2-4 year reconstruction. Of course, that's not what anybody wants to hear (even me sometimes), but it's the reality of where this team is at.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 16 Oct 2014 - 22:07

Powell behind Aboushi. Aboushi looking good, IMO.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 9:22

It's one day closer to not having Geno Smith as a QB makes this Friday very enjoyable.  Sure it was frustrating to have lost last night, but with Geno at the helm, its gotten to the point where it's excepted.
    Some talking about lack of weapons? Idzik upgraded that category on offense to help Geno develop, but its obviously not working because Smith is just not that good.

Geno looked average last night because Ivory made him look good.  Take away the run game and Geno will not lead this offense even if we have Megatron.  There were plenty of plays last night where we could have won against New England, but Geno just doesn't have it. There were plenty of times in the Green Bay, Chicago, Detroit & Denver games where he could have just made a name for himself.

Funny how some are deflecting the true problem on this team. When a team has no QB, the team has no leader to rally around.  Geno is not an NFL QB. He cannot handle pressure to be successful, especially in NYC. As tough as this is going to sound, but the only silver lining from last night is that it inches closer for the organization to take a major step far away from Geno in next year's promising crop of QB class. Where the team can actually groom a true QB that can also play under center not only when theres a running play.

I'd much rather see what Matt Simms has to offer than what Geno has shown. The only consistencies with Smith are his tremendous ability to choke under pressure, turn the ball over and lose clutch games.

The pass to Amaro that would have tied the game is a pass a professional QB does easily. Unfortunatley, That pass was from a 2nd stringer at best.
    WilliesDad
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Post by WilliesDad Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 10:01

If you watch the tape Dan, you'll see that a defender is coming right up the gut towards Geno on the conversion attempt. So he had to rush it a bit. Yes, it was not a great throw, but he made plenty of good to great throws last night. Geno did not lose the game last night. He almost won it for us. You know who did lose the game for us? The defense!! Especially Antonio Allen, who admitted that he turned to peek at TB on both scoring plays (the first and third ones), which allowed Ridley/Amendola to get behind him.

Who would you like to have back there Dan? Sanchez? Wasn't he your boy? I know, let's just draft the next superstar QB. It's just that easy!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 10:12

WilliesDad wrote:If you watch the tape Dan, you'll see that a defender is coming right up the gut towards Geno on the conversion attempt.  So he had to rush it a bit.  Yes, it was not a great throw, but he made plenty of good to great throws last night.  Geno did not lose the game last night.  He almost won it for us.  You know who did lose the game for us?  The defense!! Especially Antonio Allen, who admitted that he turned to peek at TB on both scoring plays (the first and third ones), which allowed Ridley/Amendola to get behind him.

Who would you like to have back there Dan?  Sanchez?  Wasn't he your boy?  I know, let's just draft the next superstar QB.  It's just that easy!!  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

LMAO, Keep rooting for Geno my brother. If you feel good about the team today, by all means.

I feel fantastic because Geno is GUTLESS and for every loss, it inches closer to drafting Marcus Mariota.

Keep blaming other areas to cover up the huge deficiencies that Geno brings to the table. There is an enormous reason why we're 1-6.  QB play has a lot to do with it.

Oh, as far as you referencing Mark? Didn't you jump out of your seat when Sanchez hit Holmes for a TD vs NE in the 2010 AFCDG? Didn't you enjoy having Mark at the helm as he lead us to two AFCCG's & only one losing season with him being here in 5 seasons? Funny, we were never 1-6 with Mark, were we? I'am sure Mark was your boy as well, wasn't he?
    Oh, that's right, let's place that to the side because probably in your mind, Geno is still the "GREAT NEXT THING".
    There is no comparison between Mark and Geno.  Yet the best thing is that both ships have sailed far away.

Hypocrital at it's best.  Hysterical. Seems like some have been hit with far worse than a butt fumble.

There is no justification for 1-6.
    soj
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by soj Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 10:35

WilliesDad wrote:If you watch the tape Dan, you'll see that a defender is coming right up the gut towards Geno on the conversion attempt.  So he had to rush it a bit.  Yes, it was not a great throw, but he made plenty of good to great throws last night.  Geno did not lose the game last night.  He almost won it for us.  You know who did lose the game for us?  The defense!! Especially Antonio Allen, who admitted that he turned to peek at TB on both scoring plays (the first and third ones), which allowed Ridley/Amendola to get behind him.

Who would you like to have back there Dan?  Sanchez?  Wasn't he your boy?  I know, let's just draft the next superstar QB.  It's just that easy!!  Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I agree Allen's play last evening was poor and has been marginally ok since SD game. Unfortunately he as show an a tendency to do that - which results in him being out of position.  I am not sure who's assignment it was last evening on the blow coverage but if you watch he starts to turn towards RB and then inexplicable stops and takes a step toward the LOS Because brady was rolling out...

On the 3rd and 19 his technique was awful but when you have a guy playing out of position what the hell do you expect - see your GM about that.  

AS for Mark, no thanks.  Like Mark, Geno has his moments but they are to far and in between and the only consistent thing you can count on is his inconsistency so while I am not like Dan - pitch forks, etc. - I am not a Geno fan because of his poor play and bad decisions over the course of his career...

lets hope last night is a forebear of things to come but I am dubious to say the least.
    Polishjetfan
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Polishjetfan Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 10:44

[quote="football51"]Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  2h 2 hours ago
    #Jets don't have worst skill position group in the #NFL, bottom third? Sure. Not worst. Not even really close.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  2h 2 hours ago
    Will say it again and it is indictment of Geno/MM. Plenty of teams doing more with less than Decker, Amaro, Kerley, Ivory at skill positions

Ok so what are those teams? Really? Who? Maybe the panthers and the rams. Those are the only teams I would agree w. raiders possibly but they have some real game breakers w Holmes, jones, and Moore.

Can anyone honestly name a team that is worse at wr than the jets besides the teams named above?

And how are these teams "doing more w less"?!?! All the above teams have a losing record including the Jets!!!!

So if the jets have a "bottom 3rd" wr core when Decker is on the field, what are they when he is out w a hamstring injury?! Answer... The worst set of wrs in the league.

Also, how the hell is having a "bottom 3rd skill position group" ok?!?! The team is trying to develop and evaluate a young Qb, while also trying to win games, which is near impossible to do w these wrs. What an awful angle to take IMO!!!

Last edited by Polishjetfan on Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 11:01; edited 1 time in total
    WilliesDad
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Post by WilliesDad Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 10:48

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

LMAO, Keep rooting for Geno my brother. If you feel good about the team today, by all means.

I feel fantastic because Geno is GUTLESS and for every loss, it inches closer to drafting Marcus Mariota.

Keep blaming other areas to cover up the huge deficiencies that Geno brings to the table. There is an enormous reason why we're 1-6.  QB play has a lot to do with it.

Oh, as far as you referencing Mark? Didn't you jump out of your seat when Sanchez hit Holmes for a TD vs NE in the 2010 AFCDG? Didn't you enjoy having Mark at the helm as he lead us to two AFCCG's & only one losing season with him being here in 5 seasons? Funny, we were never 1-6 with Mark, were we? I'am sure Mark was your boy as well, wasn't he?
    Oh, that's right, let's place that to the side because probably in your mind, Geno is still the "GREAT NEXT THING".
    There is no comparison between Mark and Geno.  Yet the best thing is that both ships have sailed far away.

Hypocrital at it's best.  Hysterical. Seems like some have been hit with far worse than a butt fumble.

You're right Dan, I did react the way I'm sure most of us fans reacted on the throw to Selftonio. I bring up Sanchez because my belief is that you have been lamenting his loss for a while and have always represented on these boards (sorry, I have neither the time nor desire to comb through it all) that he was/is better than Geno. And that is where we differ. Yes, I liked Sanchez initially and pulled for him whenever he was in there - as any fan of a team would do, but I realized that he wasn't the answer a long time ago and have moved on from him - something that I am questioning if you have been able to do. If I have misrepresented your feelings, please accept my apologies.

I'm not sure if Geno is "the next great thing" but I am not ready to give up on him just yet. The team's record is not all on him. Just like Sanchez wasn't the main or sole reason we got to the AFCCG's.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 11:57

This is a case of "somewhere in the middle lies the truth"

Geno is still an unknown as far as a long term solution. I see some very good things out of him. Strong arm and can make the necessary throws, good movement out of the pocket, and usually makes smart decisions running for first downs. But he also appears hesitant and unsure at times, and will attempt to create plays where it just doesn't exist, and as a result, INT's. He has an occasional habit of letting the football slip out of his hands.

As I said in another thread, a big decision for Idzik. The remaining 9 games will be his opportunity to sink or swim.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 12:06

I've been reading a lot of draft sites already, and the general feeling is that as of now, a qb ISN'T worthy of a top 15 pick. Mariota is described as a project, and Winston has tons of off field baggage. Smith has 9 more starts to make this an easy decision and I'm hoping he does.

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 13:45

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 5h 5 hours ago
    Interesting to read non #Jets centric people discuss Geno last night, all of them extremely positive on his potential/performance

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 4h 4 hours ago
    #Jets fans - It is okay to say Geno Smith played well last night, doesn't mean you are held to pledge he is your QB for all of eternity

NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 13:46

football51 wrote:I've been reading a lot of draft sites already, and the general feeling is that as of now, a qb ISN'T worthy of a top 15 pick. Mariota is described as a project, and Winston has tons of off field baggage. Smith has 9 more starts to make this an easy decision and I'm hoping he does.

Even better. let him drop to us. Same was said of Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 13:47

WilliesDad wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

You're right Dan, I did react the way I'm sure most of us fans reacted on the throw to Selftonio.  I bring up Sanchez because my belief is that you have been lamenting his loss for a while and have always represented on these boards (sorry, I have neither the time nor desire to comb through it all) that he was/is better than Geno.  And that is where we differ.  Yes, I liked Sanchez initially and pulled for him whenever he was in there - as any fan of a team would do, but I realized that he wasn't the answer a long time ago and have moved on from him - something that I am questioning if you have been able to do.  If I have misrepresented your feelings, please accept my apologies.  

I'm not sure if Geno is "the next great thing" but I am not ready to give up on him just yet.  The team's record is not all on him.  Just like Sanchez wasn't the main or sole reason we got to the AFCCG's.  

With all due respect, are you willing to give Geno the 2015 campaign as well?
    jamesfyo123
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Post by jamesfyo123 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 14:16

Geno definitely had a good game last night.

But having this game once every 7 from him is not good enough for a franchise qb.

WilliesDad
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Post by WilliesDad Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 14:36

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    WilliesDad wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

You're right Dan, I did react the way I'm sure most of us fans reacted on the throw to Selftonio.  I bring up Sanchez because my belief is that you have been lamenting his loss for a while and have always represented on these boards (sorry, I have neither the time nor desire to comb through it all) that he was/is better than Geno.  And that is where we differ.  Yes, I liked Sanchez initially and pulled for him whenever he was in there - as any fan of a team would do, but I realized that he wasn't the answer a long time ago and have moved on from him - something that I am questioning if you have been able to do.  If I have misrepresented your feelings, please accept my apologies.  

I'm not sure if Geno is "the next great thing" but I am not ready to give up on him just yet.  The team's record is not all on him.  Just like Sanchez wasn't the main or sole reason we got to the AFCCG's.  

You know Dan, I don't know yet.  I want to see how he plays the rest of the year. I would like to think that 32 games is enough of a sample size to help determine how bad our need to bring another QB in via either the draft, ie:  How high a pick do we use, or FA: Where the question will be is how much do we have to pay for whatever is available - and will that guy be a better alternative than Geno.  Honestly, is there a QB who will be available that is a better option than Geno?   Most likely I would let him compete for the starter job with whoever comes in.
    Also, I admit that I am intrigued by Simms - always have been. I like his pedigree and the little bit we have seen.  But, I have to defer to the coaching staff.  If they don't think he's better than Vick or Geno, who am I to disagree.

I would like to bring in an established vet who could REALLY be a mentor to Geno, Simms or a rookie that we draft.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 14:42

jamesfyo123 wrote:Geno definitely had a good game last night.

But having this game once every 7 from him is not good enough for a franchise qb.

Very true. His performances need to become consistent. We need him to do no worse than what he did last night, and hopefully be able to improve upon that. He's got nine more starts to make a case for 2015.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 18:04

WilliesDad wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    WilliesDad wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

You know Dan, I don't know yet.  I want to see how he plays the rest of the year. I would like to think that 32 games is enough of a sample size to help determine how bad our need to bring another QB in via either the draft, ie:  How high a pick do we use, or FA: Where the question will be is how much do we have to pay for whatever is available - and will that guy be a better alternative than Geno.  Honestly, is there a QB who will be available that is a better option than Geno?   Most likely I would let him compete for the starter job with whoever comes in.  
    Also, I admit that I am intrigued by Simms - always have been. I like his pedigree and the little bit we have seen.  But, I have to defer to the coaching staff.  If they don't think he's better than Vick or Geno, who am I to disagree.

I would like to bring in an established vet who could REALLY be a mentor to Geno, Simms or a rookie that we draft.

All well said. Now that we have Percy Harvin, Home run threat we've been lacking since ...EVER, we can assess Geno better.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Fri 17 Oct 2014 - 22:25

Not sure how anyone pins last night's loss on Geno, unless they are looking for reasons to bash him.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sat 18 Oct 2014 - 11:03

SackExchange wrote:Not sure how anyone pins last night's loss on Geno, unless they are looking for reasons to bash him.

I just felt like we had opportunities in the red zone to win the Pats game. Geno, I will admit because it's true, played very well. Yet I feel he needs a good ground game in order to do so. If the run game isn't there then I feel it is too much for him to handle.

The argument before the Harvin trade is that he had no weapons. IMHO, if the run game isn't working, Geno now has a monster home run athlete as he did at WV to count on to utilize. There are no more excuses for having lack of talent.

These next 9 games will be telling if he will be making a case for the 2015 campaign. I strongly feel having the playmakers around him will allow him to reach the next level.
    Now it's time to make that a reality.

As bad as Geno has been this season, we were still in all the games except one. Those matches could have been won if we would have converted our FG's into TD's. Having a beast like Harvin can correct those issues and help Geno in his maturity.

It's time for Geno to begin to turn heads and state that he belongs. From inside the organization to the fan base.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 18 Oct 2014 - 12:42

There are no more excuses for Geno. He currently has a 57% comp % (our highest in 7 years) and 7 TDs and 7 INTs. He needs to finish in the 60s for comp % and positive in the TD/Int ratio (something like 20-13).

Harvin should open things else for everyone else. Harvin will make some plays, but the key is the openings when an extra safety focuses on him rather than Decker, Amaro, and/or CJ2k. Decker will get more 1:1 now and Amaro and CJ2k are going to have more opportunities vs LBs. Geno needs to take advantage.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sat 18 Oct 2014 - 13:31

The weapons are there now. A legit pass-catching TE, a possession WR and a speed WR in your top two spots, a solid third in Kerley, a decent line (if not great in spots), and a good RB corps with both speed and power.

They don't need to be a 35 point a game offense, but they do need to be productive, as does Geno. No more excuses.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 8 May 2024 - 0:57