Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+27
football51
skop
SackExchange
Seaver
DonMaynard
McJet
jamesfyo123
Blindsidebrick
Polishjetfan
GratefulJet
WilliesDad
Metjetgal
MachinaVerde
Atljet60
The Wicker Man
Old#15
trico990
Lakerfan1980
LIJETFAN
HYATT™
hobson54
danfran
lnap23
soj
NickSINYC
JohnnyBaseball
Superman55
31 posters

Geno Smith

Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Geno Smith - Page 11 Empty Re: Geno Smith

Post by Seaver Wed 29 Oct 2014 - 17:50

good luck defining 'yet'. Geno is likely headed for a journeyman career that may at some point years down the road evolve into another starting job. It's just that he's going nowhere fast and he won't be in NY when/if that lightbulb goes on. Backups can stick around a long time doing next to nothing. Geno will have to go elsewhere and start over...be reborn as a QB and work his way up slowly.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 30 Oct 2014 - 9:57

Seaver wrote:good luck defining 'yet'.  Geno is likely headed for a journeyman career that may at some point years down the road evolve into another starting job.  It's just that he's going nowhere fast and he won't be in NY when/if that lightbulb goes on. Backups can stick around a long time doing next to nothing.  Geno  will have to go elsewhere and start over...be reborn as a QB and work his way up slowly.

Think he may go to Canada?
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Thu 30 Oct 2014 - 10:48

Superman55 wrote:
    Seaver wrote:good luck defining 'yet'.  Geno is likely headed for a journeyman career that may at some point years down the road evolve into another starting job.  It's just that he's going nowhere fast and he won't be in NY when/if that lightbulb goes on. Backups can stick around a long time doing next to nothing.  Geno  will have to go elsewhere and start over...be reborn as a QB and work his way up slowly.

depends how strong the desire to play football is in his soul. His athleticism probably buys him some years on somebody's roster.
    skop
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by skop Thu 30 Oct 2014 - 12:53

Seaver wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

depends how strong the desire to play football is in his soul.  His athleticism probably buys him some years on somebody's roster.

I often wonder why players who have some NFL talent don't do the Kurt Warner route, and speed their decision making ability up in the Arena Leagues. It's all passing, so he's going to get all of the reps he can hope for, the routes are completely congested so he learns to throw in tight windows when necessary, and it has to make an NFL field look wide open. Aside from the $$$, it seems like the best way to get a QB ready for the speed of the NFL players...that is, if they have the rest of the package, like Geno seems to.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Thu 30 Oct 2014 - 13:21

Was just thinking about Geno's horrific game against Bills and why it was so different from Pats game.  Was he urged Rex/Marty to make Harvin a big part of his focus causing him to force things?  From what I read on the Bills game, Geno had a bunch of open check-down opportunities underneath that he either ignored or just didn't see. Kinda think he knew they were there because he hit those same opportunities in the Pats game. Reminds me of the whole Sanchez mess when he had the unholy trio of needy vets in Holmes/Burress/Mason.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Thu 30 Oct 2014 - 15:36

Geno still missed his fair share of easy ones in NE.....he just didn't get intercepted. When you combine inaccuracy with poor decision making you get the disaster last Sunday. Most of the big plays Geno made in NE were with his feet.....so he still wasn't dissecting any defense.

I would agree he had tunnel vision in getting Harvin the ball, but he was way off target from the get go.

btw...anyone notice what seemed like blatant avoidance of Vick throwing to wide open Amaro a couple times?
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Thu 30 Oct 2014 - 15:40

Seaver wrote:Geno still missed his fair share of easy ones in NE.....he just didn't get intercepted.  When you combine inaccuracy with poor decision making you get the disaster last Sunday.  Most of the big plays Geno made in NE were with his feet.....so he still wasn't dissecting any defense.  

I would agree he had tunnel vision in getting Harvin the ball, but he was way off target from the get go.

btw...anyone notice what seemed like blatant avoidance of Vick throwing to wide open Amaro a couple times?

Yes........ and that coupled with the low amount of reps Amaro gets is really frustrating. We're 1-7; play the rookie.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Thu 30 Oct 2014 - 15:48

football51 wrote:
    Seaver wrote:Geno still missed his fair share of easy ones in NE.....he just didn't get intercepted.  When you combine inaccuracy with poor decision making you get the disaster last Sunday.  Most of the big plays Geno made in NE were with his feet.....so he still wasn't dissecting any defense.  

Yes........ and that coupled with the low amount of reps Amaro gets is really frustrating. We're 1-7; play the rookie.

you would've thought Amaro had tried to kill Vick's dog.... Twisted Evil
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 16:06

Whether you like Geno Smith or not, he is NOT a bust. At worst he'll be a solid #2 qb. For a second round pick, that's good. He has talent. All four games he's started against the Pats have been decided by three points or less and he's played very well in the last three. His first start against the Pats his rookie year came on a short week in a monsoon in NE, and he played decent for the first three quarters before unraveling. I'm all for drafting a qb in 2015(including taking one of the top two if they're available) and signing a veteran as well. However, I also want to see Smith with a new coaching staff and see if he can develop.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 16:11

football51 wrote:Whether you like Geno Smith or not, he is NOT a bust. At worst he'll be a solid #2 qb. For a second round pick, that's good. He has talent. All four games he's started against the Pats have been decided by three points or less and he's played very well in the last three. His first start against the Pats his rookie year came on a short week in a monsoon in NE, and he played decent for the first three quarters before unraveling. I'm all for drafting a qb in 2015(including taking one of the top two if they're available) and signing a veteran as well. However, I also want to see Smith with a new coaching staff and see if he can develop.

I have no argument with anything you said
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 16:16

NickSINYC wrote:
    football51 wrote:Whether you like Geno Smith or not, he is NOT a bust. At worst he'll be a solid #2 qb. For a second round pick, that's good. He has talent. All four games he's started against the Pats have been decided by three points or less and he's played very well in the last three. His first start against the Pats his rookie year came on a short week in a monsoon in NE, and he played decent for the first three quarters before unraveling. I'm all for drafting a qb in 2015(including taking one of the top two if they're available) and signing a veteran as well. However, I also want to see Smith with a new coaching staff and see if he can develop.

Same here, but does that make me an Idzik apologist? Smile
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 16:20

Old#15 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:

Same here, but does that make me an Idzik apologist? Smile

Excuse maker Very Happy .
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 16:38

From Rich Cimini on espnnewyork.com.

The Geno coaster: Geno Smith (17-f0r-27, 210 yards) played well for stretches in the game, but he made a couple of bad decisions that proved costly in the second half -- an interception and a third-down sack that took the Jets out of range for a potential go-ahead field goal. Clearly, Smith has played better since returning from his demotion, but not well enough to remain the undisputed starter for 2015. The Jets need help at the position -- a proven veteran -- but they at least know they still have a developing player in Smith, who had a 20-yard touchdown pass to Jeff Cumberland

SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 17:55

Geno is basically Sanchez, with a lesser team around him. He had a pretty rough first year but with enough flashes to provide hope. His second year was marginally better in terms of quantifiables, but not enough to really offer long-term hope.

He may be serviceable in the right system, the way Sanchez has become, but he will never be the guy. And if the Jets stick with him, it would be further evidence of a franchise that does not learn from its mistakes.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 18:21

I have not read above, I was lazy and hit reply. I think we need to hold onto Geno to compete. One thing Geno has over most other QB's is his God given foot speed, he is a great athlete, and has a cannon of an arm.

I think the game is slowing down for Geno, and he's not as afraid to stand in the pocket with the 1st wave of pass rushers. He needs to plant his feet after he steps into the pocket, as he's reading his options, then chuck it !

I want Geno back next year to compete for a starting job.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Sun 21 Dec 2014 - 20:59

SackExchange wrote:Geno is basically Sanchez, with a lesser team around him. He had a pretty rough first year but with enough flashes to provide hope. His second year was marginally better in terms of quantifiables, but not enough to really offer long-term hope.

He may be serviceable in the right system, the way Sanchez has become, but he will never be the guy. And if the Jets stick with him, it would be further evidence of a franchise that does not learn from its mistakes.

You, 55 and the rest of this well rspected board know very well my stance on Geno Smith well before the season started.

I couldn't agree more on how you stated what Geno is. He will be a career back up at best. What he demonstrated today is the pure definition of "FOOLS GOLD". He steps up when there really isn't any pressure whatsoever. As he did late last year.
    He got us all thinking he "MIGHT BE IMPROVING". In fact, as opposed as i was against him starting this season, i concede to those such as yourself who stated let him play it out to see what we have. I wanted Vick, but in retrospect, it would have impeded the organization to see what they had in Geno Smith.

It's time ladies and gentlement to move on from Geno. I'am sure next year Geno will still be on the roster and will show "flashes" as he did in the preseason and early couple of games, until he unravels into what he really is, a mediocre signal caller.
    Jets fans, be prepared to hear the same thing from Geno next year. "He looks more mature" He seems to get it" "He's been hitting the playbook hard", "He's coming in to prove his case". All this none sense IMHO means nothing because we heard it before with Mark. As Sack eluded to, Geno is the same exact player. We need to upgrade this position.

Woody Johnson knows he has to make some executive decisons in order to right this ship. The team has a little bit under $50 mil under the cap. Free agents will be brought in to fill the much needed voids as it was in the 2008 which became our backbone for Rex's teams when he took over in '09. In saying so, i would not be in the least surprised if Woody presses the new GM to trade 2 to 3 1st round picks in order to move up to the #1 overall draft pick in order to get Marcus Mariota.

Of course that would divide the fan base as many want to keep those picks yet others want a franchise QB that we've lacked for so long. The past three 1st round picks have been very well below average at best with the exception of the Revis deal in which we got Sheldon.

I'am in no way expecting a low key off season in 2015.

Jetski
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Jetski Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 6:10

NYJETSDAN16 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:Geno is basically Sanchez, with a lesser team around him. He had a pretty rough first year but with enough flashes to provide hope. His second year was marginally better in terms of quantifiables, but not enough to really offer long-term hope.

You, 55 and the rest of this well rspected board know very well my stance on Geno Smith well before the season started.

I couldn't agree more on how you stated what Geno is.  He will be a career back up at best. What he demonstrated today is the pure definition of "FOOLS GOLD".  He steps up when there really isn't any pressure whatsoever.  As he did late last year.
    He got us all thinking he "MIGHT BE IMPROVING". In fact, as opposed as i was against him starting this season, i concede to those such as yourself who stated let him play it out to see what we have.  I wanted Vick, but in retrospect, it would have impeded the organization to see what they had in Geno Smith.

It's time ladies and gentlement to move on from Geno. I'am sure next year Geno will still be on the roster and will show "flashes" as he did in the preseason and early couple of games, until he unravels into what he really is, a mediocre signal caller.
    Jets fans, be prepared to hear the same thing from Geno next year.  "He looks more mature" He seems to get it"  "He's been hitting the playbook hard", "He's coming in to prove his case".  All this none sense IMHO means nothing because we heard it before with Mark.  As Sack eluded to, Geno is the same exact player.  We need to upgrade this position.

Woody Johnson knows he has to make some executive decisons in order to right this ship.  The team has a little bit under $50 mil under the cap. Free agents will be brought in to fill the much needed voids as it was in the 2008 which became our backbone for Rex's teams when he took over in '09.  In saying so, i would not be in the least surprised if Woody presses the new GM to trade 2 to 3 1st round picks in order to move up to the #1 overall draft pick in order to get Marcus Mariota.

Of course that would divide the fan base as many want to keep those picks yet others want a franchise QB that we've lacked for so long.  The past three 1st round picks have been very well below average at best with the exception of the Revis deal in which we got Sheldon.

I am trying to understand why you and so many other fans reject the notion of a young QB developing and improving incrementally.  The Andrew Lucks and Russell Wilsons are very much the exceptions, most young QBs take time to learn the game and develop, especially when it comes to reading defenses.  It usually takes two to three seasons.  It makes me crazy, this notion that if Geno doesn't have a perfect game, he sucks.  Watch the game film from yesterday with an open mind and it will be impossible not to see the signs of improvement, and it has nothing to do with Geno's numbers; Geno is doing a FAR better job with his progressions, a far better job of not locking onto one receiver, a far better job of pocket awareness and movement.  That does not mean that he is perfect in any of those areas, yes, he still makes mistakes - but he is improving, so how on earth can you be so certain less than two seasons into his career that his ceiling is a mediocre QB?  He's got the arm strength and athleticism, the foot speed and competitiveness.  And resilience; if you think about it, it is really impressive that after he was so awful, especially in that game vs. the Bills with three horrible interceptions, he has been able to bounce back and play smarter and with confidence.  I see no reason that with adequate time to develop he can't become a really good QB in this league.  I could see going for Mariota, because he looks extraordinary, but short of that, I'd much rather that the Jets focus on filling other holes, like OL and CB.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 6:56

Jetski wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

I couldn't agree more on how you stated what Geno is.  He will be a career back up at best. What he demonstrated today is the pure definition of "FOOLS GOLD".  He steps up when there really isn't any pressure whatsoever.  As he did late last year.
    He got us all thinking he "MIGHT BE IMPROVING". In fact, as opposed as i was against him starting this season, i concede to those such as yourself who stated let him play it out to see what we have.  I wanted Vick, but in retrospect, it would have impeded the organization to see what they had in Geno Smith.

Jets fans, be prepared to hear the same thing from Geno next year.  "He looks more mature" He seems to get it"  "He's been hitting the playbook hard", "He's coming in to prove his case".  All this none sense IMHO means nothing because we heard it before with Mark.  As Sack eluded to, Geno is the same exact player.  We need to upgrade this position.

Woody Johnson knows he has to make some executive decisons in order to right this ship.  The team has a little bit under $50 mil under the cap. Free agents will be brought in to fill the much needed voids as it was in the 2008 which became our backbone for Rex's teams when he took over in '09.  In saying so, i would not be in the least surprised if Woody presses the new GM to trade 2 to 3 1st round picks in order to move up to the #1 overall draft pick in order to get Marcus Mariota.

Of course that would divide the fan base as many want to keep those picks yet others want a franchise QB that we've lacked for so long.  The past three 1st round picks have been very well below average at best with the exception of the Revis deal in which we got Sheldon.

I am trying to understand why you and so many other fans reject the notion of a young QB developing and improving incrementally.  The Andrew Lucks and Russell Wilsons are very much the exceptions, most young QBs take time to learn the game and develop, especially when it comes to reading defenses.  It usually takes two to three seasons.  It makes me crazy, this notion that if Geno doesn't have a perfect game, he sucks.  Watch the game film from yesterday with an open mind and it will be impossible not to see the signs of improvement, and it has nothing to do with Geno's numbers; Geno is doing a FAR better job with his progressions, a far better job of not locking onto one receiver, a far better job of pocket awareness and movement.  That does not mean that he is perfect in any of those areas, yes, he still makes mistakes - but he is improving, so how on earth can you be so certain less than two seasons into his career that his ceiling is a mediocre QB?  He's got the arm strength and athleticism, the foot speed and competitiveness.  And resilience; if you think about it, it is really impressive that after he was so awful, especially in that game vs. the Bills with three horrible interceptions, he has been able to bounce back and play smarter and with confidence.  I see no reason that with adequate time to develop he can't become a really good QB in this league.  I could see going for Mariota, because he looks extraordinary, but short of that, I'd much rather that the Jets focus on filling other holes, like OL and CB.

Well said. I just want to see what a coaching staff that knows how to develop a young QB can do with Smith. Yes absolutely bring in a solid vet to compete with Smith, but I also think it is too early to give up on this kid completely. Add another weapon like Cooper or White and see what happens. Also draft another QB just in case.
    WilliesDad
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Post by WilliesDad Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 9:57

Old#15 wrote:
    Jetski wrote:
    NYJETSDAN16 wrote:

Well said.  I just want to see what a coaching staff that knows how to develop a young QB can do with Smith.  Yes absolutely bring in a solid vet to compete with Smith, but I also think it is too early to give up on this kid completely.  Add another weapon like Cooper or White and see what happens.  Also draft another QB just in case.

+1 to both Old#15 and Jetski. Totally agree.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 10:19

It wasn't any mystery that Geno Smith was raw coming out of college. It was one reason he dropped into the 2nd round. I still think there's room for development. I would keep him on the roster, and either draft two QB's in May, or one QB via the draft and one decent, proven QB in free agency. A Kyle Orton type of player.

Our options are limited. But it's all we can do.
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 10:54

Bring in a vet and draft a QB(or 2) and let Geno compete....odds are he'll be fighting for#3 QB
    spot.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 12:51

some good comments since yesterday's game...........Geno showed who he is.....all in one game. He teased with his physical gifts, and frustrated with his mental approach. Much like Sanchez, it will take too long for Geno to develop into a difference making QB and by that definition the Jets need to continue the search to get better at that position. He made the throws with guys wide open and missed some as well.

I am not taking a shot at Geno here, but it needs to be pointed out that Geno was afforded the luxury of time to throw and more importantly his receivers were giving him big passing windows. The INT was one of those things I do not see him escaping.

Couple bothered me.......scoring drive 2........3rd down.......made no attempt to let Geno throw. Total give up. Scoring drive 3.....once again they didn't trust him as that swing pass on 3rd was a give up play - Geno never looked to the endzone - I put that on the coaches as well.

All in all.......this was a game they should've won.....and blame goes to the QB for not making enough plays that were there to make. Geno basically solidified a job for himself in the NFL next season. Maybe in time he will develop into a useful starting QB, but the Jets need to aim higher.
    lnap23
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by lnap23 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 12:59

It was said earlier and I have said it on other threads... Keep Geno, Sign a guy like Locker, McCoy or Matt Moore and draft 2 young guys in the 2nd and 4th rd... We won't have a shot at Winston or Mariota and let them fight it out.... Finding a QB is priority #1...
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 13:55

I think Locker is horrible. A run first QB with little pocket awareness and accuracy issues.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 13:56

if available, I'd take a shot at Ryan Fitzpatrick. Hell, I'd consider Matt Schaub.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 17 May 2024 - 1:44