Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+11
Sarge
HYATT™
Old#15
GratefulJet
LIJETFAN
SackExchange
Metjetgal
NickSINYC
football51
NYJETSDAN16
Superman55
15 posters

2014 Rookie Class Thread

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

2014 Rookie Class Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 2014 Rookie Class Thread

Post by NickSINYC Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 13:47

football51 wrote:Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  1h 1 hour ago
    Confused by people who say Pryor is a bust after 10 games but say to wait on calling Amaro a good player/pick. Seems contradictory. #Jets
    I does not need to make sense it's the best way to continue the irrational Idik hate.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 17:03

Brandin Cooks with a broken thumb out 4-6 weeks...and Mike Evans is awesome.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 15:40

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  Nov 17
    Could be big impact player for 2015 RT @Blasian_Kiddd: When you're finally cleared to start running #Progress

http://instagram.com/p/vgkiCVQO5r/

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · Nov 17
    Should I bother reading about McDougle's recovery, I've heard from many his career is over and he is locked in as a "F" draft pick? #Jets
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 15:57

football51 wrote:Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  Nov 17
    Could be big impact player for 2015 RT @Blasian_Kiddd: When you're finally cleared to start running #Progress

http://instagram.com/p/vgkiCVQO5r/

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  Nov 17
    Should I bother reading about McDougle's recovery, I've heard from many his career is over and he is locked in as a "F" draft pick? #Jets

He's been out of football for 2 years...and then will have to adjust to the NFL. It's not as far fetched as he implies...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 18 Nov 2014 - 21:23

Troy Niklas - TE - Cardinals
    Cardinals TE Troy Niklas needs ankle surgery.
    Niklas suffered his second high-ankle sprain of the season in Week 11 and was sent to I.R. The 52nd pick in May's draft caught three passes for 38 yards on four targets as a rookie. He should be ready in plenty of time for training camp.

Derek Carr - QB - Raiders
    Derek Carr was limited in Monday and Tuesday's practices with a quad issue.
    Carr will be fine for Thursday night's game against the Chiefs, but remains a bottom-barrel QB2 for fantasy purposes.

Bishop Sankey - RB - Titans
    Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt was impressed with Bishop Sankey's running in Monday's loss even though he managed only 38 yards on 11 carries (3.45 YPC).
    "I thought he was physical, I thought he was decisive, he was better with his reads," Whisenhunt said. "Those are things where you’ve seen improvement." Whiz was slow to come around on his rookie back, but has now made a habit of defending him even in the face of mediocre performances. Sankey is averaging just 3.87 yards per carry, and has yet to surpass 61 yards on the ground. He'll be a mid-range FLEX option for Sunday's game against the Eagles.

Brandin Cooks - WR - Saints
    Saints placed WR Brandin Cooks (thumb surgery) on injured reserve, ending his season.
    It's a bit surprising, as Cooks' 4-6 timetable gave him a shot at returning during the regular season, but the Saints have apparently decided they can't spare the roster spot. The No. 20 overall pick of May's draft, Cooks' rookie season ends with a 53/550/3 line as a receiver, and seven rushes for 73 yards and an additional score. Cooks was inconsistent, but showed definite promise as a playmaker, and seemed to be making strides as a downfield receiver. He remains a strong hold in Dynasty leagues, and will be a candidate to take a major step forward in 2015. Cooks is still only 21 years old.

Allen Hurns - WR - Jaguars
    Coach Gus Bradley said Allen Hurns, not Marqise Lee, will replace Allen Robinson (foot) in the starting lineup.
    Hurns will start opposite Cecil Shorts and play just about every snap, with Lee functioning as the No. 3. It's a role we'd have more excitement about if Hurns had more consistency and Blake Bortles wasn't so error-prone. Shorts is the one more likely to see volume and take advantage of the garbage-time stats that will inevitably come. Hurns, expected to get cleared off his concussion in time for Week 12 at Indy, is a WR4.

Martavis Bryant - WR - Steelers
    Martavis Bryant caught two passes for 11 yards in the Steelers' Week 11 win over the Titans.
    Bryant was targeted five times, with two of those coming in the end zone. But Big Ben left a would-be 20-yard touchdown in the air too long early in the first quarter, allowing Blidi Wreh-Wilson, who was whooped badly on the play by Bryant, to get back and knock it down. Bryant and Markus Wheaton each drew five looks in the passing game, taking targets away from each other. Bryant will remain a boom-or-bust high-upside WR3 when the Steelers come out of their bye against the Saints in Week 13.

Zach Mettenberger - QB - Titans
    Zach Mettenberger completed 15-of-24 passes for 263 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Titans' 27-24, Week 11 loss to the Steelers on Monday night.
    Mettenberger has a long delivery with cement blocks for feet. He needs plenty of time to load up and release the ball, but the Titans’ offensive line gave him enough time against a defense that was minus Troy Polamalu, Ryan Shazier, Ike Taylor, and Steve McLendon. Despite throwing a pick-six to William Gay on his first pass, Mettenberger picked on Gay all night, hooking up with Nate Washington for an 80-yard touchdown and Justin Hunter for a 36-yard gain behind Gay. He dialed up short passes to Kendall Wright for chunk gains, utilizing Wright’s post-catch ability. It was easily Mettenberger’s best start of the season, but he has a long way to go in his development and won’t have the luxury of facing the Steelers every week. He’s not even a recommended option in two-QB leagues. The Eagles are up next for the Titans.

Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 10:22

The Saints should have known that drafting a small WR would lead to him getting hurt, horrible waste of a draft pick, his career is over #jetsfanlogic
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 10:40

Sarge wrote:The Saints should have known that drafting a small WR would lead to him getting hurt, horrible waste of a draft pick, his career is over #jetsfanlogic  

Very Happy
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 13:38

Sarge wrote:The Saints should have known that drafting a small WR would lead to him getting hurt, horrible waste of a draft pick, his career is over #jetsfanlogic  

If Cooks was a Jet, yes, some bizarre criticism would emerge about how the team should've known this was going to happen. And Mehta would be leading the pack of King Hindsight Syndrome.

But he's a Saint...these unfortunate things happen. Great pick.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 15:39

Cooks in half a season will out perform our entire 12 pick draft class...

We have a benched 1st rounder
    A stud second rounder with inconsistent targets (not his fault)
    Out for the year 3rd rounder
    Cut 4th rounder
    Cut 5th rounder

Idzik wouldn't part with any picks to move up any round with those 12 picks...but a guy (about 100 guys...and Im just talking about the WR position) who slipped by us is better than our entire 12 pick draft class...I think that's the problem...not the media making fun of how sucky our draft class is...which our draft class does deserve to be made fun of...seriously.

I dont see how we dont see how we keep stepping in dog shit and the media thinks it is funny while Jets fans pretend stepping in dog shit aint so bad...

Poor Cy is excited we might get 5 wins. Just goes to show how low the franchise is right now, and we're more worried about the media than our pathetic organization...
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 16:10

Kevin, I'm not excited about a potential 5-11 season @ all, but @ least I'm still rooting for the Jets to win, while un-loyal fans like yourself are hoping we lose all the rest of the games for a better draft pick. Bang Head

Go Jets...Cyborg
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 16:13

Superman55 wrote:Cooks in half a season will out perform our entire 12 pick draft class...

Cut 4th rounder
    Cut 5th rounder

Idzik wouldn't part with any picks to move up any round with those 12 picks...but a guy (about 100 guys...and Im just talking about the WR position) who slipped by us is better than our entire 12 pick draft class...I think that's the problem...not the media making fun of how sucky our draft class is...which our draft class does deserve to be made fun of...seriously.

I dont see how we dont see how we keep stepping in dog shit and the media thinks it is funny while Jets fans pretend stepping in dog shit aint so bad...

Poor Cy is excited we might get 5 wins.  Just goes to show how low the franchise is right now, and we're more worried about the media than our pathetic organization...

once again, our first round pick has been misused by our HC. You saw in the preseason the impact he can have on the game. So, with our cb's struggling, Rex decided to hurt two position groups. Makes sense No . Our second round pick would probably have 50 catches by now with a more competent staff too. I don't think we're in as pathetic of shape as we're being made out to be. Rex wasted half a season playing his cb's like he had Revis out there because he's too stubborn. wasted time outs, costly penalties, poor preparation, etc. I think you'll be quite surprised by how much improved we'll be with a better staff. I already posted the link in the Idzik thread on the predictions for our record this year. ALL show that we've underachieved thus far. That's coaching.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 16:16

cysporsche wrote:Kevin, I'm not excited about a potential 5-11 season @ all, but @ least I'm still rooting for the Jets to win, while un-loyal fans like yourself are hoping we lose all the rest of the games for a better draft pick. Bang Head

Go Jets...Cyborg

Cy - just so you know, wanting a top 3 pick instead of a top 10 pick doesn't make someone a bad fan.

Just like having two favorite teams in the NFL doesn't make someone a bad fan. You're very judgmental in your old age. Go back out by the pool, drink a beer, and set that Cam Newton jersey you're wearing on fire (and if you haven't burned your Keuchly and Steve Smith jerseys, burn those too). Wink

Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 16:28

Superman55 wrote:Cooks in half a season will out perform our entire 12 pick draft class...

Cut 4th rounder
    Cut 5th rounder

Poor Cy is excited we might get 5 wins.  Just goes to show how low the franchise is right now, and we're more worried about the media than our pathetic organization...

Considering they're all rookies, i don't see how anyone can pretend to know what the long term prognosis is for any of them. Calvin Pryor, despite showing some immaturity being late for a few meetings, is not playing his natural "in-the-box" SS position. Not excusing him entirely, but it's clearly a factor. Amaro is more productive than any TE in recent memory for the Jets, McDougle sustained an injury completely unrelated to any college injury and could still be a contributor, and the jury's still out on players like Shaq Evans and Dakota Dozier as well. Again, not making excuses. Just not assuming the worst because of a season gone bad, and it went bad for many more important reasons than a bunch of rookies.

So to say we've stepped in "dog crap" seems a bit presumptuous, to say the least.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 16:46

Anybody evaluating a draft class after 1 season is either misguided or purposely being a chain yanker

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 16:50

Sarge wrote:Anybody evaluating a draft class after 1 season is either misguided or purposely being a chain yanker

Maybe a little harsh but  ^^this^^
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 17:26

Well, now we'll see if he can play with Brees.

Brian Costello @BrianCoz · 2m 2 minutes ago
    Jets 4th-round pick. RT @RapSheet: Meanwhile, the #Saints snagged WR Jalen Saunders from the #Seahawks practice squad

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 17:36

football51 wrote:Well, now we'll see if he can play with Brees.

Brian Costello @BrianCoz  ·  2m 2 minutes ago
    Jets 4th-round pick. RT @RapSheet: Meanwhile, the #Saints snagged WR Jalen Saunders from the #Seahawks practice squad

So a team like the Saints want him maybe he actually has some talent and worth where he was picked.

I guess only time will tell but wait we judge picks after less than a season no need to give them any real time to be evaluated.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 19:00

NickSINYC wrote:
    Sarge wrote:Anybody evaluating a draft class after 1 season is either misguided or purposely being a chain yanker

Maybe a little harsh but  ^^this^^

I'm also in the patient mode in terms of some of these picks.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 19:09

I'm sure the Jets wanted to cut Saunders and stash him in the practice squad but he got claimed by somebody's can't remember who. Don't think the Jets had totally given up on him yet, took a gamble and lost. Of course, we got lucky later when Arizona (St Louis?) tried to do the same with Walt Powell and we snatched him.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 20:02

Sarge wrote:I'm sure the Jets wanted to cut Saunders and stash him in the practice squad but he got claimed by somebody's can't remember who.  Don't think the Jets had totally given up on him yet, took a gamble and lost.  Of course, we got lucky later when Arizona (St Louis?) tried to do the same with Walt Powell and we snatched him.  
    The Seahawks were the 1st team to grab Saunders
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 19 Nov 2014 - 20:40

I can't remember, I know we signed TJ Graham and wanted to slip Saunders onto the practice squad, but it didn't work out that way. But Graham is a good one and we ended up with Walt Powell who I like
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 20 Nov 2014 - 7:15

Blindsidebrick wrote:

Cut 4th rounder
    Cut 5th rounder

Considering they're all rookies, i don't see how anyone can pretend to know what the long term prognosis is for any of them. Calvin Pryor, despite showing some immaturity being late for a few meetings, is not playing his natural "in-the-box" SS position. Not excusing him entirely, but it's clearly a factor.  Amaro is more productive than any TE in recent memory for the Jets, McDougle sustained an injury completely unrelated to any college injury and could still be a contributor, and the jury's still out on players like Shaq Evans and Dakota Dozier as well. Again, not making excuses. Just not assuming the worst because of a season gone bad, and it went bad for many more important reasons than a bunch of rookies.

So to say we've stepped in "dog crap" seems a bit presumptuous, to say the least.

Our record from last year to this year shows lack of growth in our 2013 class and lack of NFL talent in our 2014 class.

Based on the lack of quality additions through the draft leading to our entire coaching likely being fired and our GM going into next year on the hot seat tells me it's not so presumptive, or people wouldn't be losing their jobs.

I'm also not in the boat I keep seeing around here that everything is Rex's fault. Marty had no problem developing young talent in Philly but somehow he forgot how to here? I don't believe that.

The issue with our draft class is part coaching, part scouting, and part the player...

And anyone who truly feels Rex Ryan forgot how to coach defense over the summer will be proven epically wrong when he gets a job somewhere else and isn't coaching expansion team level talent in the secondary. Players we pluck off the Jags and Denver's practice squad are starting DBs for us...they couldn't even make those rosters but are the best we've got...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 20 Nov 2014 - 7:19

Sarge wrote:I can't remember, I know we signed TJ Graham and wanted to slip Saunders onto the practice squad, but it didn't work out that way.  But Graham is a good one and we ended up with Walt Powell who I like

Hey sarge - honest question: now that we have Harvin, do you think Powell had much value on the roster?

I liked the move at first, but after the trade, I don't how valuable he is taking up a roster spot.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Thu 20 Nov 2014 - 10:21

Superman55 wrote:
    Blindsidebrick wrote:

Cut 4th rounder
    Cut 5th rounder

Considering they're all rookies, i don't see how anyone can pretend to know what the long term prognosis is for any of them. Calvin Pryor, despite showing some immaturity being late for a few meetings, is not playing his natural "in-the-box" SS position. Not excusing him entirely, but it's clearly a factor.  Amaro is more productive than any TE in recent memory for the Jets, McDougle sustained an injury completely unrelated to any college injury and could still be a contributor, and the jury's still out on players like Shaq Evans and Dakota Dozier as well. Again, not making excuses. Just not assuming the worst because of a season gone bad, and it went bad for many more important reasons than a bunch of rookies.

Our record from last year to this year shows lack of growth in our 2013 class and lack of NFL talent in our 2014 class.  

Based on the lack of quality additions through the draft leading to our entire coaching likely being fired and our GM going into next year on the hot seat tells me it's not so presumptive, or people wouldn't be losing their jobs.

I'm also not in the boat I keep seeing around here that everything is Rex's fault.  Marty had no problem developing young talent in Philly but somehow he forgot how to here?  I don't believe that.  

The issue with our draft class is part coaching, part scouting, and part the player...

And anyone who truly feels Rex Ryan forgot how to coach defense over the summer will be proven epically wrong when he gets a job somewhere else and isn't coaching expansion team level talent in the secondary.  Players we pluck off the Jags and Denver's practice squad are starting DBs for us...they couldn't even make those rosters but are the best we've got...

Again, we're putting final evaluations on rookies 10 games into the season. I cannot give up on any player that soon. Very rarely do rookies jump off the screen so soon. Some need development. And in the Jets case, some need a chance to get through their freak injuries.
    Nobody said Rex forgot how to coach defense. But his moving of Calvin Pryor and Antonio Allen were desperation moves in response to a depleted secondary. It's a gamble playing players out of position, and it hasn't worked particularly well in either scenario. The problem with Rex Ryan is that he isn't a very good head coach. His team culture is too loose, and discipline seems to be a big issue, and more than just this season. Players popping off, way too many penalties, both pre snap and during the plays. There's no Hammer in this locker room. Rex is talking about how hard these guys are trying after most losses. Trying isn't enough. The mental mistakes by his players are a direct reflection of his inability to have them focused and prepared.

Rex has had 6 years. It's not working. Idzik has had 1 1/2 from a position that needs at least 3-4 to start taking shape. This paints a very clear picture for me.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 20 Nov 2014 - 11:15

Superman55 wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:Kevin, I'm not excited about a potential 5-11 season @ all, but @ least I'm still rooting for the Jets to win, while un-loyal fans like yourself are hoping we lose all the rest of the games for a better draft pick. Bang Head

Go Jets...Cyborg

Cy - just so you know, wanting a top 3 pick instead of a top 10 pick doesn't make someone a bad fan.  

Just like having two favorite teams in the NFL doesn't make someone a bad fan.  You're very judgmental in your old age.  Go back out by the pool, drink a beer, and set that Cam Newton jersey you're wearing on fire (and if you haven't burned your Keuchly and Steve Smith jerseys, burn those too). Wink

55, You come across like you know more about football talent than the professional talent evaluators in the league; however, you have said numerous times that Luke Keuchly LB sucks. affraid

Also IMO, any fan like yourself that hopes the Jets lose, is not truly a Jet fan. I would never root against my NY Jets in any circumstance. Since your hate of the Jets is so strong, jump on the Patriot band wagon, they are a proven winner Exclamation

Go Jets...Cyborg

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 16 May 2024 - 7:02