Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+11
Sarge
HYATT™
Old#15
GratefulJet
LIJETFAN
SackExchange
Metjetgal
NickSINYC
football51
NYJETSDAN16
Superman55
15 posters

2014 Rookie Class Thread

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

2014 Rookie Class Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: 2014 Rookie Class Thread

Post by cysporsche Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 18:38

Superman55 wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:What if the Buc's & Titans snag Mariota & Winston, then the Raiders pick Amari Cooper ? Then what ?

We know we need a QB, CB, OLB, OL, FS going into next year.

The two top CB's are Senquez Golson from Miss. St. or Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. Are either one a top 5 pick ?

The best pass rushing OLB is Hau'oli Kikaha from Washington with 18 sacks this year. I have always liked Vic Beasley DE from Clemson; however, I'm still gun shy of converting a DE to OLB after the Vernon Gholston fiasco.

The OL has Brandon Scherff T from Iowa; however, I can't see a top 5 pick going to a potential RT ?

Bottom line, unless a miracle happens, the Jets are already screwed in the 15 Draft.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Trade for Mettenberger Qb from the Titans and add Scherff.  Build a wall in front of Mettenberger.

in 2 years, maybe 3, Scherff's pass blocking will improve enough to transition over for Brick.

Why would the Titans trade Mettenberger ? He was a high round pick so he does not cost much to have on the roster cap wise, he has a top 5 biggest arm in the NFL, the kid is huge, and he's a pocket passer. Unless someone threw a stupid pick @ the Titans, they'd be cool with him grooming Mariota or Winston.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 20:00

cysporsche wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:
    cysporsche wrote:What if the Buc's & Titans snag Mariota & Winston, then the Raiders pick Amari Cooper ? Then what ?

We know we need a QB, CB, OLB, OL, FS going into next year.

The two top CB's are Senquez Golson from Miss. St. or Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. Are either one a top 5 pick ?

The best pass rushing OLB is Hau'oli Kikaha from Washington with 18 sacks this year. I have always liked Vic Beasley DE from Clemson; however, I'm still gun shy of converting a DE to OLB after the Vernon Gholston fiasco.

The OL has Brandon Scherff T from Iowa; however, I can't see a top 5 pick going to a potential RT ?

Bottom line, unless a miracle happens, the Jets are already screwed in the 15 Draft.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Trade for Mettenberger Qb from the Titans and add Scherff.  Build a wall in front of Mettenberger.

in 2 years, maybe 3, Scherff's pass blocking will improve enough to transition over for Brick.

Why would the Titans trade Mettenberger ? He was a high round pick so he does not cost much to have on the roster cap wise, he has a top 5 biggest arm in the NFL, the kid is huge, and he's a pocket passer. Unless someone threw a stupid pick @ the Titans, they'd be cool with him grooming Mariota or Winston.

Go Jets...Cyborg

I didn't realize your thought process was the Titans would use Mettenberger and his 4-5 career starts to mentor Winston or Mariota. I'm sure that's the Titans plans.

Maybe they keep two QBs like the Skins did with Cousins and RG3...but I feel if you take a QB #1-2, a more realistic scenario is the organization does everything in their power to get him ready to take over, not sit them behind Mettenberger for 2-3 years (even if both those QB are 2 years away from being ready, which they both likely are).
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 22:12

I think the Titans could surprise people and go with a non-QB. Mettenberger performed well enough to make them think, especially given the questions around Mariota (will his spread offense success translate to the NFL) and Winston (maturity), that there is a high enough floor with Mettenberger to explore his ceiling before spending another high pick on a QB. If he sucks in 2015, they'll be back in the top of the next draft and can take a QB then, probably from a better pool of candidates. It's not like they'll be picking between Payton Manning and Andrew Luck in April--Winston and Mariota both present significant uncertainties. Gregory, Williams, Cooper, even Scherff all provide a higher degree of certainty about what they will provide.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 13:25

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 24 Dec 2014 - 13:36

GratefulJet wrote:I think the Titans could surprise people and go with a non-QB.  Mettenberger performed well enough to make them think, especially given the questions around Mariota (will his spread offense success translate to the NFL) and Winston (maturity), that there is a high enough floor with Mettenberger to explore his ceiling before spending another high pick on a QB. If he sucks in 2015, they'll be back in the top of the next draft and can take a QB then, probably from a better pool of candidates. It's not like they'll be picking between Payton Manning and Andrew Luck in April--Winston and Mariota both present significant uncertainties. Gregory, Williams, Cooper, even Scherff all provide a higher degree of certainty about what they will provide.

I agree. Couple good points:

if you went BPA in terms of football talent, Winston and Mariota would be between 20-50, not top 10...nut because they are QBs, they will go high. Titans, not "needing" a QB, may see that they can trade back to 3-4 and still get one of the best 1-2 players in the entire draft.

I think if Jets want Mariota, they're target is the Titans, who can slide back 2-3 picks and still get the player they target and view as the best player in the draft.

I think what you say is a very strong possibility. I love what I have seen from Mettenberger so far.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Thu 25 Dec 2014 - 16:38

After a rough week of practice, Cards take 1st team snaps off Logan Thomas' plate and going with Ryan Lindell this week.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 16 May 2024 - 16:24