Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

5 posters

2015 QB Draft Class

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

2015 QB Draft Class Empty 2015 QB Draft Class

Post by Superman55 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 22:20

Here's what I see when I look at these prospects, for what it's worth, who do you like?  I am in on Mariota.  As I've discussed with #15 on other threads, you can win with him and he trusts his eyes.  Also, his second gear is special.  I have a feeling Nick is a big Cook fan just by his style.  Cook is the video of a guy who could be that classic pocket passer.  I don't think he's athletic like Luck or Rodgers.  But if a Big Ben, Brady, Manning mold is going to catch some scouts eyes for sure.  I think he's top 10 if he goes this year or next.  This franchise QB needs league will make him a fast riser, IMO.  

To me, Mariota and Cook are the only day 1 starters that you build around (I think we have the offensive weapons to plug and play a young QB to be success, I so loudly applause Idzik there - Ivory & CJ2K, Amaro, Decker, Harvin, and Kerly - Cook and Mariota at the top of my wish list).

I do hope we improve the oline a bit.  Hope we get an offensive HC.

Marcus Mariota - Watch the film, keeps eyes down field even when he runs.  There are a couple highlights where he runs, specifically around 2:29, where you see running was his absolute last decision after progressing through options and keeping his eyes down field while moving.  He could be special in the right systems and used like Russell and Kaepernick early.

Jameis Winston - doesn't throw a tight spiral and a lot of these highlights arent highlights in the NFL, they're sacks.  Not a huge fan.  He so looks like a college football player to me, like Johnny Football.  I actually liked RG3 as a prospect better, but that's just me.

Brett Hundley - doesn't appear to have the biggest arm.  Has a little Tahj Boyd in him.  Scares me a ton.  Runs too much for me.

Connor Cook (fingers crossed he comes out) - short compact throw and the ball springs out of his hands.  Looks like he has a high football IQ.  He appears to have a high ceiling.

Garrett Grayson - winds up to throw.  Big throwing motion, think Leftwich.  Scares me a little but Kaepernick has the same thing at times.  Sometimes he gets it out fast and some times it looks like a windmill.  Will need some work at the next level, IMO.

Dak Prescott - watch the ball come out of his hand.  This is a McNabb clone, IMO.  Even his body build reminds me of McNabb.  His ball is inconsistent, there are a lot of throws where the spiral isn't tight enough, but he throws so hard and the ball gets there fast.  He's a junior, so he probably comes back, but could easily become the #3 QB in this class if Cook stays put (hope they both come out).  I bet he goes rd 1.

Kevin Hogan -  bounces instead of trusting his footwork, pats the ball, throws INTs at bad times, and winds up to throw his deep ball...but there's a lot to work with here.  He'd be a nice QB to stash and develop, like Chase Daniels.

Sean Mannion - He's an interesting prospect.  He progresses through his reads, and I love that, but he looks a little like Mike Glennon to me.  He just looks a little long.  I could see him as a guy who comes in and looks good in spurts but isn't a long term answer, maybe like Cousins.  

Bryce Petty - doesn't look special to me.  He looks limited.  I think he has some potential and some may see him as a long term project.

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

2015 QB Draft Class Empty Re: 2015 QB Draft Class

Post by NickSINYC Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 22:40

I do like Cook but I also like Mariota. My thing with QBs and I admit it makes me wrong on certain QBs but I can't help myself. I want my QB to be in the 6'4" to 6'6" range. They both fit the bill.

I like to fact Cook is playing in a pro style offense. That is a big help IMO.  

Mariota has unbelievable wheels and on the field awareness but the offense he runs worries me a little. With all that said at this point I think I am leaning Mariota but that can change as we see more this year and the combines afterwards.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 5:32

I thought I saw Cook say he's staying in school for another year.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 6:39

Cook is planning on returning, but all bets are off if he's top 5-10 on draft boards.

'Cook told reporters Thursday night that unless "things go really well," he will be back to lead the Spartans' offense as a senior.'
    'Cook left the door open to a possible departure if he's projected as a high first-round draft pick but added, "I don't think that's gonna happen."'

QBs like him always rise up boards after the college season is over. If he plays well the rest of this year, he'll be a high draft prospect, and he will probably come out.

I agree that Cook has a lot of upside. Very quick release in his throwing motion, good velocity, touch and arm strength, size to take the hit and enough mobility to buy time/roll out. Good downfield vision. He's a better prospect than Andy Dalton was, but similar type of player. Has some consistency issues with respect to his accuracy, but can certainly make all the throws and just needs time/coaching to refine his game. He's probably more prepared than Mariota to step in as a rookie and play within a NFL system, but his play will be a bit uneven the first year or two. While Mariota would just go out there and wing it, Cook will actually go through his progressions and take his hits.

Last edited by GratefulJet on Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 6:55; edited 1 time in total
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 6:47

Mariota has all the physical tools and instincts to become a top NFL QB. There's just no doubt about that. Like any other college QB, he would benefit immensely from the opportunity to stand on the sidelines for a year and catch up to the size and speed of NFL players, as well as absorb the pro style of play and learn a playbook.

The fact of the matter is that we will not give him that luxury if we draft him, unless there is a huge change in management and they go with a traditional "draft franchise QB and sign vet QB to start/tutor for one year" approach, which you don't really see very much anymore. I also don't think Mike Vick is the guy you want teaching Marcus Mariota the fine points of being a NFL QB, so they would have to really assemble an entire team to build around Mariota to do it properly. Doesn't seem like anyone is doing that anymore. College QBs taken in the 1st couple rounds are pressed into service within a few games their rookie season.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 6:48

SackExchange wrote:I thought I saw Cook say he's staying in school for another year.

You are correct. I look at it like this, he wouldn't be the first kid to change his mind. I am hoping for a big bowl game and his people being notified he's a top 10 pick and he comes out.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 10:50

bottom line is none of these kids are ready to start day 1. It would be a mistake not to sit them.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 11:00

let's also keep in mind with both Russell and Kapernick......neither has yet to shoulder the load. they've been role players much in the way Sanchez was early on - just these guys have had better results. IMO, it still comes down to finding a passer that can carry you when the other facets of the team are not firing on all cylinders. An NFL defense can take the run away from a QB....but can the QB make them pay is the jillion dollar question.

When it comes to drafting a QB, if you are opting for the spread offense taught QBs, you better then have a Chip Kelly type mind.........and therein lies the problem..........how many of those guys are lying around? When you try to fit spread QB into pro style offense, you have issues. Maybe Mariota makes it......but there is no way anyone can say he's a lock when he doesn't play pro style offense yet.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 11:22

Seaver wrote:let's also keep in mind with both Russell and Kapernick......neither has yet to shoulder the load.  they've been role players much in the way Sanchez was early on - just these guys have had better results.  IMO, it still comes down to finding a passer that can carry you when the other facets of the team are not firing on all cylinders.  An NFL defense can take the run away from a QB....but can the QB make them pay is the jillion dollar question.  

When it comes to drafting a QB, if you are opting for the spread offense taught QBs, you better then have a Chip Kelly type mind.........and therein lies the problem..........how many of those guys are lying around?  When you try to fit spread QB into pro style offense, you have issues.  Maybe Mariota makes it......but there is no way anyone can say he's a lock when he doesn't play pro style offense yet.

Seattle just won the super bowl with a limited QB that couldn't do the bold section above (he still can't) and SF went to the super bowl the year before with this caliber of QB play.

With Ivory, CJ2K, Powell, Amaro, Decker, Harvin, and Kerley - i would think we have enough weapons to have a run game and controlled passing game until he develops.

Big Ben won 2 super bowls with this playing style and hasn't since he developed into a complete QB (you could say the same for Brady's first two super bowls).

I dont agree you can't win with a QB that works in a controlled offense.

Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 11:52

Superman55 wrote:
    Seaver wrote:let's also keep in mind with both Russell and Kapernick......neither has yet to shoulder the load.  they've been role players much in the way Sanchez was early on - just these guys have had better results.  IMO, it still comes down to finding a passer that can carry you when the other facets of the team are not firing on all cylinders.  An NFL defense can take the run away from a QB....but can the QB make them pay is the jillion dollar question.  

When it comes to drafting a QB, if you are opting for the spread offense taught QBs, you better then have a Chip Kelly type mind.........and therein lies the problem..........how many of those guys are lying around?  When you try to fit spread QB into pro style offense, you have issues.  Maybe Mariota makes it......but there is no way anyone can say he's a lock when he doesn't play pro style offense yet.

Seattle just won the super bowl with a limited QB that couldn't do the bold section above (he still can't) and SF went to the super bowl the year before with this caliber of QB play.

With Ivory, CJ2K, Powell, Amaro, Decker, Harvin, and Kerley - i would think we have enough weapons to have a run game and controlled passing game until he develops.

Big Ben won 2 super bowls with this playing style and hasn't since he developed into a complete QB (you could say the same for Brady's first two super bowls).

it's not that you can't....history proves it, but your odds go way down. Look at both SF and SEA. The best part about those teams was tremendous defense, special teams, and a running game. They excelled in those areas making the QB not much more than a caddy. Same for Steelers early on, but that defense has digressed and now Ben has to carry the load.

In Brady's case...you can make the argument that Belichick is to blame because with all the gobs of draft picks he stockpiled year after year trading down.......what does he have to show for it? They haven't won in 10 years because hasn't picked the right groceries.

I go back to John Elway. He took outmatched teams to the Superbowl only to be slaughtered. He was that good that he took them further than they really should have went. Brady is in that boat. Ben is in it.

It's an ugly cycle in the NFL. You better strike early when you have that franchise QB......because after a while he eats up too much of the salary cap to keep as many of the players that helped win a title. Draft position isn't as great and teams see that shift.

When you have great defense.........you can carry the lesser QB. Conversely, with the great QB you can carry bad defense only so far.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 5 Nov 2014 - 12:28

Seaver wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

it's not that you can't....history proves it, but your odds go way down.  Look at both SF and SEA.  The best part about those teams was tremendous defense, special teams, and a running game. They excelled in those areas making the QB not much more than a caddy.  Same for Steelers early on, but that defense has digressed and now Ben has to carry the load.

In Brady's case...you can make the argument that Belichick is to blame because with all the gobs of draft picks he stockpiled year after year trading down.......what does he have to show for it?  They haven't won in 10 years because hasn't picked the right groceries.

I go back to John Elway.  He took outmatched teams to the Superbowl only to be slaughtered.  He was that good that he took them further than they really should have went.  Brady is in that boat.  Ben is in it.  

It's an ugly cycle in the NFL.  You better strike early when you have that franchise QB......because after a while he eats up too much of the salary cap to keep as many of the players that helped win a title.  Draft position isn't as great and teams see that shift.  

When you have great defense.........you can carry the lesser QB.  Conversely, with the great QB you can carry bad defense only so far.  

I felt that was our direction; but now with Ryan about to be fired, all bets are off until we see who the new coach is. It's hard to handicap this thing with so much uncertainty surrounding the franchise.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024 - 10:10