Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+19
Metjetgal
NickSINYC
Pointdexter
AFA2017
soj
football51
Seaver
hobson54
NCgreen12
Marac
jetsfanshanghai
The Wicker Man
Superman55
GratefulJet
SackExchange
NYJETSDAN16
Sarge
LIJETFAN
Blindsidebrick
23 posters

Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC - Page 2 Empty Re: Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC

Post by NickSINYC Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 0:43

Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73 · 6m 6 minutes ago
    FWIW, following are among Cardinals' upcoming FAs: ACromartie, Tommy Kelly, Dan Williams, Acho, Foote, Marcus Benard, Housler.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC - Page 2 Empty Re: Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC

Post by GratefulJet Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 1:02

Cromartie and Acho would be nice adds in areas of need.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 1:13

I'm not thrilled about Chan Gailey as OC, but I will keep an open mind. The guy has been out of football for two years, so he's had a chance to think things over, maybe he has some new ideas. This would definitely be an opportunity for redemption. He's had some success in his time in the NFL, as well as some failures. Maybe he can synthesize all his experiences and come up with an approach that works for us.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 3:30

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 6:19

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/11/30/casserly-on-gailey-one-of-best-coaches-in-the-league/

Could Casserly be behind the hiring of Chan Gailey as OC? And, could they be bringing him in to try and salvage Geno?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 6:41

Might have a Cro return
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 6:49

Nothing about these hires excites me. Another defense minded head coach and a retread OC that was out of football for the last 2 years.

I'm not saying these are bad hires, I just hate going into a new regime with this "bleh" feeling.....at least we got a GM that isn't a bean counter.
    jetsfanshanghai
    jetsfanshanghai
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Post by jetsfanshanghai Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 7:11

Bowles has the BALLS to lead us. I'm excited that he IS a defence guy..Our only strong point is the D so he can nurture what we have to the next level.

New GM Mac must have had input into the hire, so the new HC [welcome Sir!] is good with me.

My downer is the possibility (not signed yet????) of Gailey as OC. Two years out is a looong time, I just hope he has the "Bowles" to turn the O around Smile

Is it confirmed that Therman is leaving to join Rex in buff? If so who will be the new DC?

And a Q to Sack.......Bro, why is it that when Rex was here he was a fool, a jester, a joke and [whatever else the media claimed] and now all I read is that Rex is the "Premier Defensive Mind" in the NFL???? [yes a tad pi$$ed off with the media mate.....]
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 8:19

Good question. As soon as Rex was fired from the Jets, he went from court jester to defensive genius. If he had been hired by the Jets, he would have gone from defensive genius to court jester.

I know some people were hoping for an offensive HC. But there are two factors that make it easier for me to understand this move:

1. There were more defensive top-level coaching candidates than offensive ones, and

2. The Jets have hired only defensive guys since Parcells. Kotite was the last offensive HC.

Some would see that second point as a negative. However, I can see it through this lens. The Jets have, for the first time since Namath, an IDENTITY! Organizationally, the team is going on close to 20 years of putting defense first. To me, that is constructing an identity.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 8:26

Best part about Bowles comes from this Cimini piece.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48561/analysis-todd-bowles-a-quick-choice-but-right-choice

"3. The anti-Rex: The party's over. Bowles is known for his laid-back demeanor, so no, he won't be showing up for a news conference in a wig. He's an even-keeled coach, which Ryan wasn't. Jets owner Woody Johnson wants to change the environment around the team, and he believes Bowles will bring a steadiness that was lacking and maybe a little tough love. Make no mistake, he's not a tyrant -- his former players in Arizona speak of him reverently -- but he'll tear into the players if necessary. In an October game against the Washington Redskins, he busted up a whiteboard at halftime because he was angry with his players.

4. A scouting report: Someone in the league who has worked with Bowles, speaking on the condition of anonymity, described him as "professional, consistent and [manages] expectations."

"He has a quiet, steady persona, but he has a presence," the source said. "He did more with less in Arizona. He's a former player, so he can work and handle players.""
    Marac
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Marac Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 8:52

I"m excited about the Bowles hire.. There's a lot a ways that he fits.. Won't totally change Defense... But hopefully tailor it more realistically with guys individual skillsets... Comes from a DB mindset as a player, so PASS Defense will be very important to him...His Ties with NJ and Temple will hopefully get MO onboard, Resigned and Happy,,, The other guys will follow...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 8:54

jetsfanshanghai wrote:Bowles has the BALLS to lead us. I'm excited that he IS a defence guy..Our only strong point is the D so he can nurture what we have to the next level.

New GM Mac must have had input into the hire, so the new HC [welcome Sir!] is good with me.

My downer is the possibility (not signed yet????) of Gailey as OC. Two years out is a looong time, I just hope he has the "Bowles" to turn the O around Smile

Is it confirmed that Therman is leaving to join Rex in buff? If so who will be the new DC?

And a Q to Sack.......Bro, why is it that when Rex was here he was a fool, a jester, a joke and [whatever else the media claimed] and now all I read is that Rex is the "Premier Defensive Mind" in the NFL???? [yes a tad pi$$ed off with the media mate.....]

I don't understand the 2 years out of the league comment. Every year people hope Gruden, Cowher, or Dungy return and how long have they been gone?

I worry more about players out of football 2 years. As an example, McDougle has never played at NFL speed, and hasn't played football in at all in 2 years. I'm more worried about McDougle being able to get his body up to speed than Gailey's brain getting up to speed after a 2 year break.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 8:54

Hopefully Karl Dunbar sticks around on the DL
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 8:57

Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 9:00

Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 9:02

NCgreen12
    NCgreen12
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NCgreen12 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 9:18

I like the hire based on his past and the fact that guys like Casserly and Wolf were involved to render their expertise. Hopefully his assistant coach and player experiences will translate into someone who can lead an entire team. It's a crap shoot like anything else when you hire someone to assume a position he's never held. Some can do it and some can't so it's a we'll see right now but hopefully there's optimism..

Not sure I like the Chan Gailey hire. Never known him to be this innovative guy who's offense is feared. I'll bet he was hired to add experience to the staff as a former head coach because of the inexperience of Bowles.  He has coached Elway, Thigpin, Tomczak and Stewart as an offensive coordinator.  I'll bet he will not make it to his third year here. The NFL requires that you try to score 30 points each week to win and I'm not sure he's the guy. We'll see.

The positive is we have the important part of the staff (GM and HC) in place to evaluate players during the college all star games and the combine.

Good luck Todd Bowles we need you to be great, please.

BTW - he's a 3-4 guy on defense. Sorry Cy !!!!
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 9:50

a solid hire. while i thought they would wait it out for quinn, it sounds like they didn't get the indication of high interest from him that some reports seemed to indicate. while quinn has a ring (and possibly 2 in the next few weeks), bowles and quinn otherwise have pretty similar resumes and both seem to be very well respected throughout the league. with a 1st time head coach, there is no way of knowing how he will turn out as the head man. so i'm ok with them going with bowles instead of waiting for quinn, who was no lock to take the jets job with other teams also chasing him.

as to a defensive versus offensive coach, while my preference probably would have been for an offensive coach since that's where we need more help, i don't have a problem going with another defensive guy. looking at the final 4 coaches left, only mccarthy is an offensive guy by nature.

i have a personal preference for the 3-4, so i like that this is bowles' base defense (although he seems very adaptable and will best utilize personnel at his disposal). also should help make the transition easier to maintain a somewhat similar scheme as rex.

he also seems to be the anti-rex in terms of persona. while i usually enjoyed rex's bravado, it probably not bad to have a change of pace there.

overall, i'm happy with the choice. he was always in my top grouping (initially i liked he and quinn, and then marrone when he became available). he's a local guy who had ties to the jets. and he comes from the parcells tree, which is a good thing for me.

best of luck coach. hopefully this is the beginning of a long and fruitful head coaching career with the jets J-E-T-S

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 10:15

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24961096/jets-hire-todd-bowles-as-head-coach-5-things-to-know

After hiring former Houston Texans Director of College Scouting Mike Maccagnan as the team's new general manager earlier on Tuesday, the New York Jets are set to name Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles as their next head coach.

Bowles takes over for the departed Rex Ryan, who had been the team's head coach since 2009 and recently agreed to become the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. Bowles, of course, will now have to face off with Ryan (and Bill Belichick and Joe Philbin) twice a year.

1. Continuing a trend

Bowles makes the sixth straight defensive coach hired by the Jets. Since New York fired Rich Kotite after he went 4-28 across the 1995 and 1996 seasons, the Jets have hired a defensive coach every time they've had an opening: Bill Parcells, Al Groh (after they first tried to go with Bill Belichick), Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan and now Bowles.

2. Bowles' background

Bowles spent eight years in the NFL as a safety, playing for the Washington Redskins and San Francisco 49ers from 1986 to 1993. He worked as a defensive backs coach for numerous teams after retiring from the NFL, including the Jets themselves back in 2000, Woody Johnson's first season as the owner.

Bowles served as the interim head coach of the Miami Dolphins 2011, winning two of the season's final three games after Tony Sparano was fired. He then moved on to the Philadelphia Eagles, where he coached defensive backs for half a season before being promoted to defensive coordinator after Juan Castillo was let go.

When Chip Kelly came in and brought a new staff with him to Philly, Bowles moved on to Arizona, where he spent the last two seasons coordinating one of the NFL's best defenses. The Cardinals ranked second and seventh in defensive DVOA in two years under Bowles.

He showed a knack for getting the most out of scrap heap talent, coaxing excellent seasons out of under-the-radar free agent signings in both of his seasons with Arizona. Players like Tommy Kelly, Larry Foote, Antonio Cromartie and Karlos Dansby have recognizable names, but they weren't coveted in free agency before winding up with the Cardinals. Bowles put them all in a position to succeed and they responded accordingly.

3. Innovative schemes

Bowles is also well-known for being very creative in how he schemes his defenses. The Cardinals sent pressure more than almost any team in the league this year, with Bowles trying to manufacture a pass rush out of spare parts as front seven players kept sustaining injuries.

Coaching ad hoc to his personnel, Bowles unveiled defensive formations with as many as four safeties on the field at a time this season, working to get Tyrann Mathieu, Rashad Johnson, Tony Jefferson and Deone Bucannon out there all at the same time.

For most of the season, the Cardinals were able to withstand the losses of players like Darnell Dockett, John Abraham and Daryl Washington, but they did begin to backslide toward the end of the year.

4. Speaking of personnel

Bowles will have some pretty good personnel to get creative with in New York, at least along the defensive line. Muhammad Wilkerson, Damon Harrison and Sheldon Richardson are each among the best in the league at their positions. Wilkerson and Richardson ranked as Pro Football Focus' second- and third-best 3-4 defensive ends in 2014, behind only J.J. Watt, who may or may not be a human person. Harrison rated as the third-best run-stopping defensive tackle in football by the same metrics.

Calvin Pryor, the team's first round pick in 2014, should be someone who is helped a lot by Bowles' hire, and the same is true of restricted free agent Jaiquawn Jarrett and unrestricted free agent Dawan Landry if they return. Bowles could come up with all kinds of creative ways to deploy those three safeties if they are all on hand.

They'll need to get much better at cornerback, though, if they want to show any sort of defensive improvement next season. Despite a strong pass rush and some solid play from safeties, the Jets still ranked as one of the worst pass defenses in the league (21st in yards per attempt allowed, 30th in quarterback rating allowed and 24th in pass defense DVOA) in 2014 due in large part to comically bad performance from their corners. They should get Dee Milliner back from injury next season, but the rest of the group needs a massive upgrade.

5. And what of the offense?

Maybe the most important question for Bowles -- and Maccagnan -- to answer is who their starting quarterback will be. The two are inheriting former second-round pick Geno Smith, but it's possible they want to bring in their own guy. The Jets do have the sixth pick in the NFL Draft this year, right in the range where you can usually expect the second or third quarterback to come off the board. This year, Oregon's Marcus Mariota and Florida State's Jameis Winston are considered the top signal-callers in the draft.

Factoring into that decision will likely be whoever Bowles and Maccagnan decide to hire as the offensive coordinator. The Jets have been a power running team for a while now, and it will be interesting to see if they go away from that under the Bowles regime.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 10:52

when you hire a defensive mind as the HC, the next most important hire is the OC...........and to be honest I don't have a great recollection of Gailey being good or bad......so he was likely somewhere in the middle. Great minds don't go unemployed for 2 years - what were the circumstances of his last hire coming to an end? I will keep an open mind. I had Quinn-1, Bowles-2....so I'm happy we got one. I really like the GM hired. Sounds like Bowles also knows how to make steak from hamburger on defense, so the pressure goes to the GM to find the right QB and the OC to develop a QB.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 11:15

Let's face it, there is no available offensive coordinator that held in high regard by fans. And most current offensive coordinators are also disliked. They have a name for offensive coordinators that are held in high regard by fans: Head Coach.

Gailey is a former head coach in the pros and college. He at least brings that experience to the table. I'm a big fan of having former head coaches on a staff. Hope we get maybe 1 or 2 more. Rex's staff lost a lot after Bob Sutton and Bill Callahan left. Morninweg at least added that element back into the equation.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 11:21

Looks like Dolphins DL coach Kacy Rodgers is coming in, likely as defensive coordinator

Kacy Rodgers enters his fourth season as a member of the Dolphins’ coaching staff, having joined the club after a five-year stint with the Dallas Cowboys (2003-07), the final three of which he tutored that team’s defensive line.

In 2010, Miami finished seventh in rush defense and third in rushing yards per carry at 3.6. Rodgers oversaw a defensive line that featured Randy Starks, who played in his first career Pro Bowl, and also featured career best performances from Kendall Langford, Tony McDaniel and Paul Soliai. The unit will receive a boost from 2010 first-round draft pick Jared Odrick, who returns after being limited to one game last season due to injury.

Rodgers’ first two years with the Cowboys (2003-04) were spent coaching the club’s defensive tackles. Under Rodgers, defensive tackle La’Roi Glover was selected to the Pro Bowl each year from 2003-05. In four of Rodgers’ five seasons with Dallas, the team ranked in the top ten in the NFL in rush defense, including a No. 6 finish in 2007 when they allowed an average of just 94.6 yards rushing per game.

Before entering the NFL ranks, Rodgers was an assistant at the collegiate level, including posts at Tennessee-Martin (1994-97), Louisiana-Monroe (1998), Middle Tennessee State (1999-2001) and Arkansas (2002). He tutored the defensive line at all four stops, while having also been assistant head coach at Tennessee-Martin (1997) and Middle Tennessee (2000-01).

Rodgers was a four-year letterman at the University of Tennessee (1988-91), where he played linebacker and defensive end on teams that won a pair of Southeastern Conference championships (1990, 1991) and appeared in three New Year’s Day bowl games. He earned his degree in political science from the school in 1993. Following his playing career he went to training camp with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1992 as a college free agent. He also played with the Shreveport Pirates of the Canadian League in 1994. Rodgers is a native of Humboldt, Tennessee where he starred at Humboldt High School. He and his wife, Marcella, have a son, Kacy II, who is a sophomore at the University of Miami.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 12:04

NickSINYC wrote:What sucks is the limited amount of time Bowles and his future staff will get to spend with the players installing a new playbook due to these stupid rules the NFL has now.

Nick, teams with new coaching staffs get to start their offseason programs earlier plus get an extra minicamp which I believe takes place before the draft.

Also, saw this on Gailey.

Brian Costello @BrianCoz · 20m 20 minutes ago
    Guys in Buffalo say Gailey a solid OC choice. Said his problem with Bills was on defensive side of ball #nyj
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 12:40

football51 wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:What sucks is the limited amount of time Bowles and his future staff will get to spend with the players installing a new playbook due to these stupid rules the NFL has now.

Nick, teams with new coaching staffs get to start their offseason programs earlier plus get an extra minicamp which I believe takes place before the draft.

Also, saw this on Gailey.

Brian Costello @BrianCoz  ·  20m 20 minutes ago
    Guys in Buffalo say Gailey a solid OC choice. Said his problem with Bills was on defensive side of ball #nyj

Thanks Mike I did know we get a little extra time but I still think back to the old days when we could of had the players as much as we wanted.

As for Gailey he always had a good reputation as an OC His black marks came as a failed HC
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Wed 14 Jan 2015 - 12:46

I was just listening to a lot of talk radio, Jeff Darlington was glowing about Bowles as were others. It sounds like the Jets
    jump on Bowles ahead of Atlanta(who scheduled the 2nd interview with him first) and got their man, so I like that proactive approach.
    I wish we did that in 1991!

I'm still have that so/so feeling about Gailey...but time will tell.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 12 May 2024 - 18:12