Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+19
Metjetgal
NickSINYC
Pointdexter
AFA2017
soj
football51
Seaver
hobson54
NCgreen12
Marac
jetsfanshanghai
The Wicker Man
Superman55
GratefulJet
SackExchange
NYJETSDAN16
Sarge
LIJETFAN
Blindsidebrick
23 posters

Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC - Page 6 Empty Re: Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC

Post by football51 Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 19:46

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN · 1m 1 minute ago
    New Jets head coach Todd Bowles has started reaching out to players. Individual calls. #nyj
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC - Page 6 Empty Re: Todd Bowles officially hired as the new HC

Post by Sarge Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 20:36

Wonder what "reaching out to players" means?
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 11:40

Listening to the Press Conference, Bowles comes across as very down to earth and seems to be giving honest responses to questions - he seems to be listening to the questions and responding with genuine answers. When asked what he thought his personality was, he said "I'm probably like the male Sybil" which brought a good laugh. He seems like he has a good sense of humor
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 11:43

CTB (Coach Todd Bowles) says he never started out wanting to be a head coach, but started out wanting to be a good football coach. Which I thought was a good thing to say
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 11:55

I was impressed watching him in the press conference. I feel even better about the hire now.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 16:03

New York Jets @nyjets · 7m 7 minutes ago
    ICYMI: The full introductory presser from earlier today.

WATCH- http://bit.ly/1AP21hV
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 17:35

NickSINYC wrote:I was impressed watching him in the press conference. I feel even better about the hire now.

Ditto. I love the fact that he consistently states that he must look over the roster alongside Mac to really gauge what he has on this team.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 18:25

Kimberly Jones @KimJonesSports · 7h 7 hours ago
    Weeks ago, I thought replacing Rex Ryan, espec w/media, would be a daunting task for anyone. Today, it seems Todd Bowles will do just fine.
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 8:38

What resonated with me was 'changing the culture' of the team, saying that it wasn't bad just that it didn't win. I think he is talking about accountability and discipline, which in my opinion was a big problem with Ryan's team. I also like the fact that the team will have a fresh set of eyes evaluating them, with coach's 'guys' from the previous regime being as critically looked at as the rest of the team. Finally, there were no grand proclamations. A nice breath of fresh air.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 10:38

Old#15 wrote:What resonated with me was 'changing the culture' of the team, saying that it wasn't bad just that it didn't win.  I think he is talking about accountability and discipline, which in my opinion was a big problem with Ryan's team.  I also like the fact that the team will have a fresh set of eyes evaluating them, with coach's 'guys' from the previous regime being as critically looked at as the rest of the team. Finally, there were no grand proclamations.  A nice breath of fresh air.

The grand proclamations are nice to here for fans, before the season actually starts. Gives us hope.

But those promises became stale after six years. I think these two men are exactly what this team needs in transition. Confident, but realistic about this roster.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 11:14

while I'm happy with the choices, I'm going to forego waxing poetic about the changes.....been there/done that. I will wait to see what infusion of talent comes in via draft/FA and then gameday decisions for the HC before going too far in my opinions. I'm just tired of getting giddy before substance appears. I will say the calculating approach is necessary in Rex's wake. He has to be his own man/HC, and the further apart they are in approach to the job, the easier it will be to judge Bowles on what he does, not what he says. Rex talked a good game and he brought some success, but Jet nation is now talked out and we want production.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 11:41

Todd Bowles is an excellent hire by Woody Johnson. With Bowles being a black HC, I think this will help in the replacement of Rex. With the team being over 90% black, I think it will be well received by the players, coaches, management & the fans. I'm not trying to make this a black or white theme, but don't you think Marrone or some other white coach, would not have been as positively received as Bowles ? And please don't give Casserly or Wolf credit for this hire, Bowles was one of the top names mentioned to be considered as the next HC. IMO, if we did not make Bowles an offer before he left the building, he would have jumped on a plane and been hired the next day by the Falcons.

Great hire Jets. J-E-T-S

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Metjetgal
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Metjetgal Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 13:03

So far so good with this hire. Obvi, there is a lot to prove, but he handled himself well.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 14:19

Todd Bowles on the fan we got most of the asst coaches we wanted. We are waiting to announce them until they are all officially signed.

Once again I came away from his interview even more impressed with him.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 15:32

cysporsche wrote:Todd Bowles is an excellent hire by Woody Johnson. With Bowles being a black HC, I think this will help in the replacement of Rex. With the team being over 90% black, I think it will be well received by the players, coaches, management & the fans. I'm not trying to make this a black or white theme, but don't you think Marrone or some other white coach, would not have been as positively received as Bowles ? And please don't give Casserly or Wolf credit for this hire, Bowles was one of the top names mentioned to be considered as the next HC. IMO, if we did not make Bowles an offer before he left the building, he would have jumped on a plane and been hired the next day by the Falcons.

Great hire Jets. J-E-T-S

Go Jets...Cyborg

I don't think his race matters. I think players either buy into a HC, or they don't. Players bought into Rex. Players didn't buy into Al Groh. I think it all depends on the individual trying to lead. Bowles biggest advantage is being a former player, and relatively recently. That's huge. So he'll understand the mentality of the modern athlete, but he also strikes me as a guy who will yell when he has to. He'll hold a player accountable when he needs to. He'll bench a starter who's not getting it done.

I think these things matter more to every Jets player than his skin color. Just my opinion, Cy.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 16:09

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 28 Jan 2015 - 18:09

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI · 17m 17 minutes ago
    Tyrann Mathieu told me + @BrianCoz that Bowles' defensive style is 'complicated' + 'complex.' “U've gotta have some good players on defense'

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI · 19m 19 minutes ago
    Mathieu on Bowles/#Jets D: "If u have one or two guys that can kind of control the group, the chances of succeeding are going to be great."

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI · 10m 10 minutes ago
    Tyrann Mathieu also said he thinks Todd Bowles will "absolutely" bring some #AZCardinals guys to the #Jets. (1)

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI · 10m 10 minutes ago
    Mathieu: “I wanted him to stick around for my prime, when I get my contract. But I guess New York is New York, right?” #jets

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sat 31 Jan 2015 - 21:55

Seth Walder @SethWalderNYDN · 8m 8 minutes ago
    Todd Bowles wins AP assistant coach of the year award. #nyj | http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/todd-bowles-wins-ap-assistant-coach-year-award-blog-entry-1.2099113
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 16:48

 Bob Glauber retweeted

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI
    · 2h 2 hours ago
    HOFer Ron Wolf to @BobGlauber: “I told Woody when Bowles interviewed that I wouldn’t let the guy out of the building. Hire him right now."

Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 17:34

football51 wrote:
     Bob Glauber retweeted  

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI  
     ·   2h  2 hours ago  
    HOFer Ron Wolf to @BobGlauber: “I told Woody when Bowles interviewed that I wouldn’t let the guy out of the building. Hire him right now."

Expanding the quote:

Wolf recommended to Jets owner Woody Johnson that he hire Bowles on the spot after his first of two interviews.

"I told Woody when Bowles interviewed that I wouldn't let the guy out of the building. Hire him right now," Wolf told Newsday in his first public remarks about the interview process. Wolf and former Texans and Washington GM Charley Casserly served as advisers to Johnson. "Todd Bowles was an exceptional interview. It's one of those things where you go through the process and somebody just hits you, and Bowles did that. Well-prepared, a pro's pro, no-nonsense kind of guy and, in my opinion, the best guy we interviewed."

Encouraging to say the least.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 19:01

He left the building. Thank heavens he came back for a second interview!
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 19:35

SackExchange wrote:He left the building. Thank heavens he came back for a second interview!

+1
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Sun 1 Feb 2015 - 19:39

Old#15 wrote:
    SackExchange wrote:He left the building. Thank heavens he came back for a second interview!

+1

ditto

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 12 May 2024 - 21:23