Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+11
Sarge
HYATT™
Old#15
GratefulJet
LIJETFAN
SackExchange
Metjetgal
NickSINYC
football51
NYJETSDAN16
Superman55
15 posters

2014 Rookie Class Thread

football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

2014 Rookie Class Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 2014 Rookie Class Thread

Post by football51 Wed 26 Nov 2014 - 16:49

Well, it only took a 2-9 record Rolling Eyes . IK had 2 sacks, 1 ff, and a blocked punt/safety in the preseason, yet we still watch Pace, Barnes, Babin get all the reps. I'd like to see more of Reilly too.

Chris Nimbley @Cnimbley · 2h 2 hours ago
    Rex specifically mentions IK as one of the young players he wants to get some reps. #Jets

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 18:13

Was that Donte Moncreif who had 3 catches for 134 yards and 2 TDs this week. Don't worry, we drafted McDougle over him...
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 18:20

Superman55 wrote:Was that Donte Moncreif who had 3 catches for 134 yards and 2 TDs this week.  Don't worry, we drafted McDougle over him...

Was that Andrew Luck throwing him passes? Don't worry, we have..................
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 18:24

This is 100% SARCASM, but you have to admit that with our coaching staff/qb situation, there is an element of truth.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 6h 6 hours ago
    If only the #Jets had drafted Martavis Bryant to run block on 56 of his 60 snaps last night, I'm sure they'd be in the playoff hunt...

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 2 Dec 2014 - 22:05

football51 wrote:This is 100% SARCASM, but you have to admit that with our coaching staff/qb situation, there is an element of truth.

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  6h 6 hours ago
    If only the #Jets had drafted Martavis Bryant to run block on 56 of his 60 snaps last night, I'm sure they'd be in the playoff hunt...

So you dont wish instead of Evans and Saunders we had...Bryant, Landry, Ellington, or Moncreif? I think we drafted the only "not good" WRs in this draft class.

Would you rather have Bryant or Salas? Would you rather have those 4 above Wrs or Salas?

People can say we dont know if Evans will be good or not, and we don't know, but before he got hurt he was on the roster bubble, dropping balls like he was a middle school, so I'm not so sure he'd even be on the roster today if he didn't get hurt. Pretty sure the four WRs mentioned above would have been on the roster today if drafted.

I'd rather have more talent than less...just me.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Wed 3 Dec 2014 - 15:44

Kristian Dyer @KristianRDyer · 1h 1 hour ago
    Dexter McDougle is running on a specialized treadmill, doesn't know a timetable for return. #Jets
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Thu 4 Dec 2014 - 10:46

Superman55 wrote:
    football51 wrote:This is 100% SARCASM, but you have to admit that with our coaching staff/qb situation, there is an element of truth.

So you dont wish instead of Evans and Saunders we had...Bryant, Landry, Ellington, or Moncreif?  I think we drafted the only "not good" WRs in this draft class.

Would you rather have Bryant or Salas?  Would you rather have those 4 above Wrs or Salas?

People can say we dont know if Evans will be good or not, and we don't know, but before he got hurt he was on the roster bubble, dropping balls like he was a middle school, so I'm not so sure he'd even be on the roster today if he didn't get hurt.  Pretty sure the four WRs mentioned above would have been on the roster today if drafted.

55, You are like a broken record, that plays the same song over & over again. What we did in May's draft, happened in the past. There is nothing anyone can do about the past. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on down the road already, by focusing on our last 4 games, the hiring of a great new HC, and then April's draft.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Old#15
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by Old#15 Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 7:47

Looks like we can label Clowney a bust already.  Out for the season and his 2nd knee surgery is scheduled sometime soon. I wonder if any billboards are popping up in Houston.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 5 Dec 2014 - 9:30

cysporsche wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

So you dont wish instead of Evans and Saunders we had...Bryant, Landry, Ellington, or Moncreif?  I think we drafted the only "not good" WRs in this draft class.

Would you rather have Bryant or Salas?  Would you rather have those 4 above Wrs or Salas?

People can say we dont know if Evans will be good or not, and we don't know, but before he got hurt he was on the roster bubble, dropping balls like he was a middle school, so I'm not so sure he'd even be on the roster today if he didn't get hurt.  Pretty sure the four WRs mentioned above would have been on the roster today if drafted.

55, You are like a broken record, that plays the same song over & over again. What we did in May's draft, happened in the past. There is nothing anyone can do about the past. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on down the road already, by focusing on our last 4 games, the hiring of a great new HC, and then April's draft.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Well, young fella, the head in the sand approach with the "wait till next year" mantra may work for you, and that's fine, but the blind cheerleader approach ain't for me.

You probably didn't read this great article posted by 51 because it doesn't say Idzik should be GM of the year, and that's fine, but you should read this:

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/12/new-york-jets-house-broken-not-divided/

You talk about "lessons learned,"  but two points on that note:

* You're happy with a GM in training, I'm not happy with a GM with training wheels going against legit NFL GMs.  This isn't the time for lessons learned, his times for lessons learned were in Seattle and Tampa, not when sitting at the grown up table.

* Idzik and Bradway made last year's picks and are currently on track to make this year's picks...the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and believing you'll get a different outcome, so believing Bradway and Idzik will keep making all the picks and eventually get it right is...insanity.  

If Idzik is going the right the ship, he needs to remove Rex and Bradway and all their staff...but Idzik isn't parting with Bradway, which is already documented because they're too deep in the draft process, so you're remarks around "lessons learned" do not apply...because the regime that drafted Hill, Ducasse, Gholston, Geno, Sanchez, Winters, Pryor, Milliner, Robertson, McDougle, etc, etc...are still making our draft picks, regardless of the name on the GM door...

And I dont know if you pay attention to our drafts, but I havent seen many lessons learned over the years by Bradway and Co.

We'll know we got our GM choice right, or at least is heading in the right direction, when he brings in his own scouting department.  Period.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 13 Dec 2014 - 18:32

Pats to place rookie Easley on IR?
    December, 12, 2014
    DEC 12
    10:38
    AM ET
    By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
    52COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
    It's been more than a year since Dominique Easley tore the ACL in his right knee. The New England Patriots have babied him as much as possible this season -- by regularly holding him out of practices -- in an attempt to let the joint heal up as best as possible.

However, it appears that they might make the ultimate safe play by ending his rookie campaign early.

"The Patriots are considering placing their first-round pick on injured reserve as a means to get him in a healthier position for the 2015 season, according to a source," wrote Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald.

"It's not so much of a setback as it is a way to hit the reset button for the defensive lineman out of Florida, the source explained."

Easley also tore the ACL in his other knee back in 2011. As much as the Pats surely would like to have Easley make an impact for them during the playoffs, they may be more focused on the first-rounder's long-term health right now.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 13 Dec 2014 - 18:33

9:22
    AM ET
    01COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
    Most Detroit Lions fans were skeptical of the team's decision to draft TE Eric Ebron with their top pick in the 2014 draft. That wasn't because of his skills but because the Lions had bigger holes to fill at other positions. Ebron didn't exactly make those fans rethink things this season, because he has barely contributed any notable stats.

However, he has taken some steps forward recently, pulling in 14 catches for 96 yards over his past four games. Ebron's coaches -- both former and current -- are seeing him settle in as a pro.

"Now I think you're starting to see his athleticism," said Larry Fedora, Ebron's college coach at North Carolina, per MLive.com. "You're starting to see the real Eric Ebron.

"I don't know how he played at the beginning of the year because we didn't talk about it. But just talking with him, he really feels good about where he's at right now and the progress he's made and, I think, the future."

Lions coach Jim Caldwell also sees his tight end settling in.

"I think he's a lot more comfortable with things," he said. "You can see that he doesn't have to think as much about the calls that are being made in the huddle and things of that nature, and that happens.

"The more comfortable they get, the better they play. I think he's evolving."

If Ebron keeps developing his game between now and next season, perhaps Lions fans will feel better about the pick. He still has the potential to be an impact pass-catching tight end in the pros and is showing progress in that direction:

Michael Rothstein
    Rising/Falling: Detroit Lions Week 15
    "He isn’t putting up big numbers, but he is establishing some consistency within the Lions' offense as a short-field option. He’s caught three or more passes in three of his past four games and has remained between 22 and 28 yards per game. Those aren’t big numbers, but consider that he’s also had at least 15 yards after the catch in three of the past four games. That shows he is turning short passes into longer gains. Progress."
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 13 Dec 2014 - 19:44

Teammates say Johnny Manziel is a “nightmare” in practice

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 12, 2014, 4:53 PM EST
    Johnny Manziel, Marcus Trice
    AP
    The Bengals might be a bit size-ist when it comes to the debut of Johnny Manziel as a starter Sunday, but his own teammates know he can create big problems.

In practice, at least.

Browns safety Donte Whitner told Albert Breer of the NFL Network that Manziel was a “nightmare” to practice against because of his ability to improvise.

“You see him being Johnny Football,” Whitner said. “You don’t see him trying to duplicate anybody’s quarterbacking style, just sitting in the pocket.

“If something’s not right, you see him using his instincts and his intangibles, breaking the pocket. That’s where I can see growth.”

The Browns are doing everything they can to make Manziel comfortable in the starting role.

The fact they’re trading on the element of surprise — and that Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan had success with a similarly skilled rookie in Washington when he coached Robert Griffin III — gives the Browns an element of hope this weekend.

“I think he’s got enough,” wide receiver Josh Gordon said. “He’s got what we need right now to move forward and pull off these last three wins.

“He’s willing to do anything, extend a play, and make something out of nothing. That mindset isn’t in everybody. A lot of guys will quit, take a sack or throw the ball away. That’s not what he does.”

And that’s why we’ll all be tuning in on Sunday.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 13 Dec 2014 - 21:20

Jarvis Landry - WR - Dolphins
    Jarvis Landry is expected to be shadowed by Darrelle Revis in Week 15.
    The Patriots plan to use Revis on Landry, with Brandon Browner covering Mike Wallace. Despite averaging nine targets over his last five games, Landry should be avoided as a Week 15 fantasy option.

Cody Latimer - WR - Broncos
    Cody Latimer (ribs) has been ruled out for Week 15.
    He'll miss his second straight game. Latimer has played just 19 snaps this year.
    Dec 12 - 7:23 PM

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Buccaneers
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins (back) is listed as questionable for Week 15.
    He's likely to play, but isn't a viable streamer against the Panthers.

Dominique Easley - DL - Patriots
    The Boston Herald reports the Patriots are considering placing rookie DT Dominique Easley (knee) on season-ending injured reserve.
    Easley, the 29th pick in May's draft, tore his right ACL in 2013 after tearing his left one in 2011. The Patriots aren't saying he's had a setback, but may use I.R. as a means to hit the reset button and have Easley 100 percent for 2015. The rotational lineman has played 270 snaps this season, making 10 tackles, one sack, and one interception. He's seen his snaps dialed back of late.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 22:49

DEC 15
    10:00
    AM ET
    21COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
    Johnny Football looked like Johnny Trainwreck during his first NFL start on Sunday, as the Cincinnati Bengals housed Johnny Manziel and his Cleveland Browns 30-0.

The ongoing questions concerning Manziel leading up to the game revolved around whether he was putting in enough work off the field in order to succeed on the field. Comments during the game by Fox analyst and former NFL DB John Lynch suggested that Manziel may have only buckled down recently.

Per the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Dennis Manoloff, Lynch spoke of an interaction he had with Manziel:
    "The best quarterbacks in this league, they're the hardest workers in the building. Johnny Manziel was, this week -- by all accounts.

"All year, he hasn't been.

"And I asked him: 'Are you willing to do that?'

"He said, 'Well, this week was a good start.'

"He was stand-up. I think he didn't argue that he hasn't been. He said, 'This was a good start.'

"And we'll see from here, and I think that will go a long way in determining his success."

To be fair to Manziel, Manoloff noted that, "Obviously, Lynch saying, 'I think he didn't argue that he hasn't been' left plenty open to interpretation -- Manziel's interpretation. Manziel might counter that Lynch misunderstood that he conceded a lack of required study habits for most of the season."

Whether Manziel was an on-field disaster because he didn't put in enough off-field time during the first 13 weeks of the season or simply because he was a rookie making his first start is up for debate. Nonetheless, he didn't look any better than he did during the preseason:

Jeremy Fowler
    Johnny Manziel's NFL starting debut shocks in all the wrong ways
    "This performance resembled the preseason Manziel. The Browns said he has improved. Manziel said he has improved. They all said he was ready. Maybe he will be. Manziel and the offense were “on point” in practice this week, Gordon said. You know Allen Iverson’s words well. We’re talking about making game-day throws, which Manziel looked ready to do when firing the ball around the field before the game. But on a pass to Andrew Hawkins toward the sideline, the arm strength wasn’t there and Dre Kirkpatrick undercut the route for an interception. Maybe indecisiveness, which Pettine said he noticed a few times Sunday, was a factor on that throw. A less conservative game plan might help Manziel, who needs to find a way to get open space on the perimeter. For now, with the "Johnny Football" mystique replaced by tough NFL love, Manziel won’t have any more time to learn how to become an NFL quarterback. He has to be one now."
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 22:51

Imagine Jets fans if Gang Green had drafted someone like Dominique Easley.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 23:04

SackExchange wrote:Imagine Jets fans if Gang Green had drafted someone like Dominique Easley.

There's another Johnny Manziel in this draft...we could be so lucky to trade up and take him...but he's there...
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 15 Dec 2014 - 23:17

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Buccaneers
    Bucs placed TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins on injured reserve with a back injury, ending his season.
    ASJ had been sidelined since Week 12. It's a disappointing end to a disappointing rookie season, but ASJ's injury is not considered serious. He was just running out of time to return with only two games left. ASJ caught 21 passes for 221 yards and two scores across nine games, committing myriad mental errors along the way. He remains an intriguing long-term prospect, however, and is a definite hold in dynasty formats. A mountainous 6-foot-6, 262 pounds with 4.56 speed, ASJ doesn't turn 23 until September.

Donte Moncrief - WR - Colts
    Donte Moncrief out-snapped Hakeem Nicks 36-22 in the Week 15 win over the Texans.
    It represented a dip from Week 14, however, when Moncrief out-snapped Nicks 50-18. Moncrief was targeted just three times against Houston, failing to reel in any of the passes and posting a goose egg. There are simply too many mouths to feed in the Colts' offense. The only way Moncrief's targets will rise is if an injury occurs. And that may have happened Sunday with T.Y. Hilton tweaking his hamstring late. He's going for an MRI on Monday. If Hilton is forced to miss time, Moncrief would seem to be the biggest beneficiary for Week 16.

Jeremy Hill - RB - Bengals
    Jeremy Hill out-snapped Giovani Bernard 47-28 in the Bengals' Week 15 win over the Browns.
    Hill's 62.6-percent snap rate was a four-week-high, while Bernard's 37.3-percent rate was a four-week-low. The Bengals ended up smashing the Browns 30-0 to remain in control of the AFC North. And they did it on the legs of Hill. He punished the Browns for 148 yards and two touchdowns on 25 carries, adding one catch for four yards. Meanwhile, Bernard piled up 103 yards on 18 touches but was the definitive No. 2 to Hill. Hill is a legit RB1 for Week 16. Bernard is just a FLEX.

Johnny Manziel - QB - Browns
    Coach Mike Pettine said Johnny Manziel will start Week 16 against the Panthers.
    It also sounded like Manziel will be the starting quarterback through Week 17. That comes as no surprise. It will give the coaching staff three games of tape on Manziel and allow him to get his feet wet before 2015. Johnny Football finished with about as horrific a stat line one could imagine in his debut, but Pettine placed much of the blame on the players around Manziel. He'll be a high-risk QB2 against Carolina, but one with plenty of upside. The 7-7 Browns are out of the playoff picture.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 16 Dec 2014 - 15:35

Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets · 22h 22 hours ago
    Sits behind Terrence Newman on CIN, only 6% of D snaps played this year RT @JJoyJets: @TurnOnTheJets has Dennard played this year at all?
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 16 Dec 2014 - 16:11

football51 wrote:Joe Caporoso @TurnOnTheJets  ·  22h 22 hours ago
    Sits behind Terrence Newman on CIN, only 6% of D snaps played this year RT @JJoyJets: @TurnOnTheJets has Dennard played this year at all?

Yeah, Lamar Woodley sat his rookie year too...
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Tue 16 Dec 2014 - 16:14

Superman55 wrote:

What a coincidence......... so did McDougle Cool .
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 16 Dec 2014 - 16:17

football51 wrote:
    Superman55 wrote:

What a coincidence......... so did McDougle Cool .

Woodley wasnt hurt.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 11:17

What if the Buc's & Titans snag Mariota & Winston, then the Raiders pick Amari Cooper ? Then what ?

We know we need a QB, CB, OLB, OL, FS going into next year.

The two top CB's are Senquez Golson from Miss. St. or Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. Are either one a top 5 pick ?

The best pass rushing OLB is Hau'oli Kikaha from Washington with 18 sacks this year. I have always liked Vic Beasley DE from Clemson; however, I'm still gun shy of converting a DE to OLB after the Vernon Gholston fiasco.

The OL has Brandon Scherff T from Iowa; however, I can't see a top 5 pick going to a potential RT ?

Bottom line, unless a miracle happens, the Jets are already screwed in the 15 Draft.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Wed 17 Dec 2014 - 11:28

cysporsche wrote:What if the Buc's & Titans snag Mariota & Winston, then the Raiders pick Amari Cooper ? Then what ?

We know we need a QB, CB, OLB, OL, FS going into next year.

The two top CB's are Senquez Golson from Miss. St. or Ifo Ekpre-Olomu. Are either one a top 5 pick ?

The best pass rushing OLB is Hau'oli Kikaha from Washington with 18 sacks this year. I have always liked Vic Beasley DE from Clemson; however, I'm still gun shy of converting a DE to OLB after the Vernon Gholston fiasco.

The OL has Brandon Scherff T from Iowa; however, I can't see a top 5 pick going to a potential RT ?

Bottom line, unless a miracle happens, the Jets are already screwed in the 15 Draft.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Trade for Mettenberger Qb from the Titans and add Scherff. Build a wall in front of Mettenberger.

in 2 years, maybe 3, Scherff's pass blocking will improve enough to transition over for Brick.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 17:05

Thomas QB Va-Tech may start this weekend for the Cardinals.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Mon 22 Dec 2014 - 18:32

Superman55 wrote:Thomas QB Va-Tech may start this weekend for the Cardinals.

If Thomas plays like his better games @ Va Tech, he'll defiantly be better than Lindley was. I thought Drew Stanton was coming back ? How many QB's do they have ?

Go Jets...Cyborg

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 1 May 2024 - 17:18