Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+17
Superman55
football51
Seaver
jamesfyo123
WilliesDad
Blindsidebrick
NYJETSDAN16
HYATT™
Hunter07
SackExchange
The Wicker Man
cysporsche
NickSINYC
LIJETFAN
hobson54
Sarge
soj
21 posters

Possible 2015 Jets Head Coaches

skop
    Navigator
    Navigator

Possible 2015 Jets Head Coaches - Page 4 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Head Coaches

Post by skop Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 12:30

Seaver wrote:
    skop wrote:
    Seaver wrote:how would Chucky actually work?  His draft record is poor.  His QB development record is poor.  He's basically an OC much like Rex is a DC with the HC title.

Agree to disagree.

Yes Chucky is an OC at heart, but Chucky made the Bucs & Raiders better defensively because he was a complete HC that actually paid attention to the opposite side of the ball. His insights as to how he would attack "his" defense when preparing "his" defense for the upcoming offense they were playing has been chronicled...conversely, Rex made headlines for showing up to an offensive meeting. Hardly the same. if that's a rationale for not hiring, you eliminated about 100% of the coaches out there as they all have a forte', right?

Poor drafts...he won a lot of games. you tend to draft at the bottom. not a bad problem to have in my book.

you do realize he inherited a defense that had gotten to the NFC Championship with Webster as the QB?  I wouldn't lay claim to Gruden making that unit better.  

I was also referring to the defense that wasn't so acclaimed in OAK too. They too went to a title game, and had it not been for the worst rule in football history, would have beaten NE to go to the SB.

point is, Gruden doesn't entirely ignore the D, and he realizes that his type of O sustains long drives that keep his D off of the field. To say he's June Jones incarnate is just not accurate. He was a total HC...IMO.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Possible 2015 Jets Head Coaches - Page 4 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Head Coaches

Post by Seaver Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 12:35

skop wrote:
    Seaver wrote:
    skop wrote:
    Seaver wrote:how would Chucky actually work?  His draft record is poor.  His QB development record is poor.  He's basically an OC much like Rex is a DC with the HC title.

Agree to disagree.

Yes Chucky is an OC at heart, but Chucky made the Bucs & Raiders better defensively because he was a complete HC that actually paid attention to the opposite side of the ball. His insights as to how he would attack "his" defense when preparing "his" defense for the upcoming offense they were playing has been chronicled...conversely, Rex made headlines for showing up to an offensive meeting. Hardly the same. if that's a rationale for not hiring, you eliminated about 100% of the coaches out there as they all have a forte', right?

Poor drafts...he won a lot of games. you tend to draft at the bottom. not a bad problem to have in my book.

you do realize he inherited a defense that had gotten to the NFC Championship with Webster as the QB?  I wouldn't lay claim to Gruden making that unit better.  

I was also referring to the defense that wasn't so acclaimed in OAK too. They too went to a title game, and had it not been for the  worst rule in football history, would have beaten NE to go to the SB.

point is, Gruden doesn't entirely ignore the D, and he realizes that his type of O sustains long drives that keep his D off of the field. To say he's June Jones incarnate is just not accurate. He was a total HC...IMO.

fair point
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 13:04

One of these 10 will be the next Jets coach, mark it down, take it to the bank

1 Darrell Bevell Seattle OC
    2 Pep Hamilton Indy OC
    3 Todd Bowles Arizona DC
    4 Dan Quinn Seattle DC
    #
    #
    #
    #
    Huge Break in likelihood
    #
    #
    #
    5 Brian Kelly Notre Dame HC
    6 Adam Gase Denver OC
    7 Greg Roman 49ers OC
    8 Art Briles Baylor HC
    9 Kevin Sumlin TAMU HC
    10 Hue Jackson Ex Raiders HC
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 14:39

skop wrote:
    Seaver wrote:
    skop wrote:

Agree to disagree.

I was also referring to the defense that wasn't so acclaimed in OAK too. They too went to a title game, and had it not been for the  worst rule in football history, would have beaten NE to go to the SB.

I will say this about Gruden......listening to him last night......he does not like spread offense QBs. Mainly it's for obvious reasons - the physical abuse. Then they flashed the graphic up with the best records this year and who the Qb is for the respective teams........pocket passers.
    skop
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by skop Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 14:45

Seaver wrote:
    skop wrote:
    Seaver wrote:
    skop wrote:

Agree to disagree.

I will say this about Gruden......listening to him last night......he does not like spread offense QBs.  Mainly it's for obvious reasons - the physical abuse.  Then they flashed the graphic up with the best records this year and who the Qb is for the respective teams........pocket passers.  

You're right...he is a straight up WCO guy.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 15:39

I have always liked Gruden and would have no problem with his hire. I do think it is a long shot to happen.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 16:46

I like Chucky but why would he leave MNF ?

Go Jets...Cyborg
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 16:54

cysporsche wrote:I like Chucky but why would he leave MNF ?

Go Jets...Cyborg
    I said it was a long shot. Maybe he still has the bug and wants one more chance at another SB. He is only 51 and could always go back to TV after another coaching opportunity. He may also want a chance to coach against Jay.
    Sorsha
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Sorsha Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 21:49

In no particular order I'd like-

Pat Shurmur
    Rob Chudzinski
    Greg Roman
    Adam Gase
    Brian Kelly
    Sorsha
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Sorsha Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 21:55

Forgot to say Gus Malzahn as well
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Wed 12 Nov 2014 - 8:48

Sorsha wrote:In no particular order I'd like-

Pat Shurmur
    Rob Chudzinski
    Greg Roman
    Adam Gase
    Brian Kelly

I like all of those. maybe not in that order, and Malzahn too - they'd at least bring in some creativity. Hell, I'd be happy to keep Dennis Thurman as DC and bring any of those in as HC
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Wed 12 Nov 2014 - 10:39

I really don't want to lose Dennis Thurman D.C., or Karl Dunbar DL Coach, but I'm afraid when Idzik fires Rex, he will clean house, and those coaches will follow Rex to his next gig as D.C., not H.C. anytime soon or ever.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    trico990
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by trico990 Wed 12 Nov 2014 - 12:03

Fire Rex. Let Idzik bring in his own guy. 2015 we're an 8-8 club and in 2016 we look exactly like the 2014 Bears. Great plan.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 12 Nov 2014 - 13:14

only thing I've heard about Gruden is he would only go back to the Raiders...if the situation was right. Now what is mucking up those waters is where exactly are the Raiders going to end up? This past week they were sniffing out San Antonio as a possible destination (more likely leverage to get new stadium). There's the rumor of the Rams coming back to LA.

The other thing to consider that likely rules out Gruden is his family. He is one of those sleep in the office types and his wife would kill him if he did it again while he has kids in school (high school/college). Maybe in a few years when they're all beyond high school he may get the bug.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 13:36

NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 13:44

football51 wrote:I hope not. I've seen enough.

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/11/can-rex-ryan-save-job-new-york-jets/
    Rex should be gone no doubt about it but I have no faith in Woody making the correct decision.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 14:18

A lot will depend on who else gets fired...

You gotta figure Trestman is out in Chicago, that could be a nice job for someone,, Gus Bradley in Jacksonville looks likely, Coughlin is on the bubble.

It could just be us and the Bears or us, Jacksonville, Bears, and Giants
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 14:35

The Pope was shooting down the idea of Harbaugh to the Bears because that ownership is a bit on the cheap side. I'm sure Woody could afford him, but it goes beyond that. When you target the high profile/write his own ticket type these days (and it doesn't happen for many) they pick their own front office. Does anyone really feel that Harbaugh would come here just to be HC? I have a hard time with the idea that Harbaugh alone fixes everything. We'd have to be confident that he has the right office team in place.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 15:45

I forgot about the Raiders and maybe 49ers with openings
    WilliesDad
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Post by WilliesDad Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 16:26

Sarge wrote:A lot will depend on who else gets fired...

You gotta figure Trestman is out in Chicago, that could be a nice job for someone,, Gus Bradley in Jacksonville looks likely, Coughlin is on the bubble.

I can see Rex going to Chicago. A bit of symmetry with his dad, but also wanting a "D" centric coach. Plus he has an established - if not highly thought of - QB, who's contract makes him virtually untradeable.

I'm not sure that Coughlin is gone, but his D coordinator - Percy Fewell? - certainly is.

We might be in competition with Jacksonville for a 'QB guru'-type coach, considering their investment in Bortles.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 16:56

WilliesDad wrote:
    Sarge wrote:A lot will depend on who else gets fired...

I can see Rex going to Chicago.  A bit of symmetry with his dad, but also wanting a "D" centric coach.  Plus he has an established - if not highly thought of - QB, who's contract makes him virtually untradeable.

I'm not sure that Coughlin is gone, but his D coordinator - Percy Fewell? - certainly is.

We might be in competition with Jacksonville for a 'QB guru'-type coach, considering their investment in Bortles.

David Caldwell hand picked Bradley; regardless of what USA today says, I don't think he's even on the hot seat.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 16:06

Potential Head Coach Stock Report so far this weekend

Denver OC Adam Gase. DOWN
    Bengals OC Hue Jackson UP
    49ers OC Greg Roman NEUTRAL
    49ers DC Vic Fangio UP
    Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell NEUTRAL
    Seahawks DC Dan Quinn UP
    ND Coach Brian Kelly DWN
    PSU Coach James Franklin UP
    TAMU Coach Kevin Sumlin DOWN
    Auburn Coach Gus Malzahn DOWN
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 16:11

Here's a breakdown of the usual suspects from TOJ.

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/11/5-possible-head-coaching-candidates/
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 16:15

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet  
      ·  4h 4 hours ago  

For #Michigan fans curious about Jim Harbaugh: Booster Stephen Ross is much more interested in him at U-M than with #Dolphins

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
    · 4h 4 hours ago

Jim Harbaugh is no longer on the #Dolphins radar in unlikely event Philbin is fired. His wife wants to stay in the Bay Area. Hello #Raiders

Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 16:39

David Shaw's stock is falling like a rock

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 13:08