Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+17
Superman55
football51
Seaver
jamesfyo123
WilliesDad
Blindsidebrick
NYJETSDAN16
HYATT™
Hunter07
SackExchange
The Wicker Man
cysporsche
NickSINYC
LIJETFAN
hobson54
Sarge
soj
21 posters

Possible 2015 Jets Head Coaches

jamesfyo123
    Co-Pilot
    Co-Pilot

Possible 2015 Jets Head Coaches - Page 3 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Head Coaches

Post by jamesfyo123 Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 22:20

WilliesDad wrote:Does anyone know if Idzik's news conference scheduled for tomorrow was previously planned?

Yes, it was.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Possible 2015 Jets Head Coaches - Page 3 Empty Re: Possible 2015 Jets Head Coaches

Post by football51 Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 22:30

This quote says a lot, and it all starts with the HC.

Manish Mehta
    ‏@MMehtaNYDN WR Eric Decker on the 2014 Jets: "We're not a bad football team. We just do stupid stuff." #nyj

I'm not a fan of retread coaches, but there is a history with Idzik and Dungy. I have no idea if Dungy wants to coach again, but supposedly, he holds Idzik in high regard. Rex is very popular in the locker room, and this hire needs to be correct. Al Groh was never given a chance by the players here because they wanted Parcells. Now, that was a veteran locker room, so maybe that wouldn't be the case now with the youth we have. Dungy would command respect and would be able to assemble an impressive staff. If we go with a first timer, I still think the favorites are Quinn and Roman. From what I've read, Bevell is a guy who prefers the small marketplace.
    WilliesDad
    Honorary Test Pilot
    Honorary Test Pilot

Post by WilliesDad Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 22:37

jamesfyo123 wrote:
    WilliesDad wrote:Does anyone know if Idzik's news conference scheduled for tomorrow was previously planned?

Yes, it was.

Thats what i thought. Thanks.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 22:44

I'd be shocked if it was an offensive guy. Roman might be the guy I'd put my money on if I were a betting man. Shurnur, Chudzinski and Kubiak are possibilities even though they are retreads
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 23:31

Sarge wrote:I'd be shocked if it was an offensive guy. Roman might be the guy I'd put my money on if I were a betting man. Shurnur, Chudzinski and Kubiak are possibilities even though they are retreads
    I'm not so sure. Who is the last offensive HC the Jets have had?

Rex. Mangini. Herm. Groh. Parcells. All defensive. It's been since Kotite that the Jets have had an offensive guy as HC.
    Blindsidebrick
    Honorary Wing Commander
    Honorary Wing Commander

Post by Blindsidebrick Mon 27 Oct 2014 - 1:01

[quote="WilliesDad"]Does anyone know if Idzik's news conference scheduled for tomorrow was previously
    planned?[/quote

I'm almost positive it was planned ahead, considering it's the mid season press conference. We just finished the 8th game. But a Ryan firing is still a possibility. Idzik is going to have to put on a pretty serious poker face for staying the course with Rex, IMO.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Mon 27 Oct 2014 - 11:19

I don't think Dungy comes to this circus......nobody with leverage is coming here with no franchise QB. Even so, you still have to worry who Dungy picks. He was as clueless as can be in TB with offense. He got fired because he was too loyal to the bad choices he made as OC. When he went to Indy, he was told to leave the offense alone as Tom Moore was already in place. He did just enough to get himself a Lombardi, but that was with a HOF QB and a hot run on defense in the postseason. That was no juggernaut. I think Dungy like his cushy studio job too much and doesn't fit NY.
    The Wicker Man
    The Wicker Man
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by The Wicker Man Mon 27 Oct 2014 - 11:25

I'm totally with Seaver on this, No to Dungy. I really don't want anyone who's been out the game
    for more than a year or 2.
    Joe Gibbs tried and failed miserably.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Mon 27 Oct 2014 - 11:37

Seaver wrote:I don't think Dungy comes to this circus......nobody with leverage is coming here with no franchise QB.  Even so, you still have to worry who Dungy picks.  He was as clueless as can be in TB with offense.  He got fired because he was too loyal to the bad choices he made as OC.  When he went to Indy, he was told to leave the offense alone as Tom Moore was already in place.  He did just enough to get himself a Lombardi, but that was with a HOF QB and a hot run on defense in the postseason.  That was no juggernaut.  I think Dungy like his cushy studio job too much and doesn't fit NY.
    With a high pick and $50 million in cap space, I could see it being a relatively attractive spot for a coach.

And the circus fully leaves with Rex. It left in part with Tannenbaum, more with Tebow, and more with Sanchez. Geno, Vick, and Rex being gone would provide a clean slate.

That said, I don't think Dungy is the guy.
    NYJETSDAN16
    NYJETSDAN16
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by NYJETSDAN16 Mon 27 Oct 2014 - 11:38

I still feel Harbaugh will demand a price too steep for the 9ers and Woody will pony up the cash for him.  Especially if we have the ability to draft a franchise QB early in the 1st, for him to groom.

Woody never wants to go through this ever again.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sat 8 Nov 2014 - 12:38

Cimini was asked on twitter for his thoughts on the 2015 HC search. Here's his response...........

@RichCimini: Obviously, it depends on general manager John Idzik, who also is on thin ice. If he survives this mess, he will reach into his recent past for Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, a New Jersey native and a former Jets assistant. If Idzik gets the boot -- a possibility -- my sense is that owner Woody Johnson will go big-name hunting, looking for instant credibility. The usual suspects will come up, namely Jon Gruden and Bill Cowher. Jim Harbaugh will be on the radar, depending on how things shake out in San Francisco. A name to watch is Stanford coach David Shaw, an offensive-minded coach with NFL experience.

Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Sat 8 Nov 2014 - 13:31

football51 wrote:Cimini was asked on twitter for his thoughts on the 2015 HC search. Here's his response...........

@RichCimini: Obviously, it depends on general manager John Idzik, who also is on thin ice. If he survives this mess, he will reach into his recent past for Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, a New Jersey native and a former Jets assistant. If Idzik gets the boot -- a possibility -- my sense is that owner Woody Johnson will go big-name hunting, looking for instant credibility. The usual suspects will come up, namely Jon Gruden and Bill Cowher. Jim Harbaugh will be on the radar, depending on how things shake out in San Francisco. A name to watch is Stanford coach David Shaw, an offensive-minded coach with NFL experience.

Shaw's defense is also #1 in the Pac-12 in every category - scoring, vs the run, vs the pass, and overall yards allwed, all #1.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Sat 8 Nov 2014 - 22:16

Cimini is a moron but I do agree Dan Quinn is among the handful of favorites to replace Rex
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 9:41

I might be a little disappointed if Idzik went with either Bevell or Quinn, if only because it would give the impression he is picking someone just because he's really familiar with that person, as opposed to the best candidate to become a HC. Makes it look like he's not strong enough or lacks the range to go outside his comfort zone. It'll depend on how the process plays out though. He can dispel those concerns with a strong process.
    football51
    football51
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by football51 Sun 9 Nov 2014 - 16:28

GratefulJet wrote:I might be a little disappointed if Idzik went with either Bevell or Quinn, if only because it would give the impression he is picking someone just because he's really familiar with that person, as opposed to the best candidate to become a HC. Makes it look like he's not strong enough or lacks the range to go outside his comfort zone. It'll depend on how the process plays out though. He can dispel those concerns with a strong process.

Quinn was coveted by the Browns and Titans last year, but they didn't want to wait for him to be available. The gm/coach have to be in synch. I'd take it as a plus if Idzik hired someone he's close to. Now, as you pointed out about the process, if Shaw for example interviews and blows everyone away, that should be taken into consideration.
    LIJETFAN
    Honorary Air Commander
    Honorary Air Commander

Post by LIJETFAN Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 10:51

I actually agree with Cimini. I think the right decision is to find a HC/GM with credibility and track records of success building/coaching championship teams. Other than that, I don't care who it is. But a first time HC on any level really does not fit that criteria.
    NickSINYC
    NickSINYC
    Honorary Sky Marshall
    Honorary Sky Marshall

Post by NickSINYC Mon 10 Nov 2014 - 20:17

Hyatt "Failure to tolerate a couple of bad seasons has been the downfall of more than a few football clubs who probably, in hindsight, should have just stuck it out with the guy they already had."

It's not about a few bad seasons for me. I want Rex gone because IMO he has only one thing going for him when it comes to being a HC. Player loyalty. When it comes to every other skill needed for a HC he falls short. In almost 6 years I have not seen significant improvement in those areas.
    HYATT™
    HYATT™
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by HYATT™ Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 5:11

NickSINYC wrote:Hyatt "Failure to tolerate a couple of bad seasons has been the downfall of more than a few football clubs who probably, in hindsight, should have just stuck it out with the guy they already had."

It's not about a few bad seasons for me. I want Rex gone because IMO he has only one thing going for him when it comes to being a HC. Player loyalty. When it comes to every other skill needed for a HC he falls short. In almost 6 years I have not seen significant improvement in those areas.
    Can the Jets upgrade?
    Probably, but it won't be nearly as easy as a lot of people think - hence the list that accompanied that quote of me.
    Now, if Brian Kelly was the selection, I'm all in, but Kelly likes college kids & the simpleness aspect of coaching naive youngsters who'll buy into his schtick.
    It's a lot harder to get pampered instant millionaires to do so - which is an aspect of Rex's coaching way too many people undervalue.
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 6:52

HYATT™ wrote:
    NickSINYC wrote:Hyatt "Failure to tolerate a couple of bad seasons has been the downfall of more than a few football clubs who probably, in hindsight, should have just stuck it out with the guy they already had."

Can the Jets upgrade?
    Probably, but it won't be nearly as easy as a lot of people think - hence the list that accompanied that quote of me.
    Now, if Brian Kelly was the selection, I'm all in, but Kelly likes college kids & the simpleness aspect of coaching naive youngsters who'll buy into his schtick.
    It's a lot harder to get pampered instant millionaires to do so - which is an aspect of Rex's coaching way too many people undervalue.

It ain't just people that undervalue it, Hyatt. The W-L record undervalues it too. Pretty damn unfair, but there it is.
    skop
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by skop Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 9:59

if you could pry him from the booth, I would take CHUCKY. Lots of vets on this team, and money to spend on more proven players. Chucky + a few new guys at QB, CB, and OG and you have a winner.

Idzik likes draft picks for the next man up and Chucky likes talented coords to coach them. We win now & we will win later.
    Sarge
    Sarge
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Sarge Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 10:11

I could live with Chucky, but it seems like a long shot.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 10:30

how would Chucky actually work? His draft record is poor. His QB development record is poor. He's basically an OC much like Rex is a DC with the HC title.
    skop
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by skop Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 11:32

Seaver wrote:how would Chucky actually work?  His draft record is poor.  His QB development record is poor.  He's basically an OC much like Rex is a DC with the HC title.

Agree to disagree.

Yes Chucky is an OC at heart, but Chucky made the Bucs & Raiders better defensively because he was a complete HC that actually paid attention to the opposite side of the ball. His insights as to how he would attack "his" defense when preparing "his" defense for the upcoming offense they were playing has been chronicled...conversely, Rex made headlines for showing up to an offensive meeting. Hardly the same. if that's a rationale for not hiring, you eliminated about 100% of the coaches out there as they all have a forte', right?

Poor drafts...he won a lot of games. you tend to draft at the bottom. not a bad problem to have in my book.

cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 12:06

Even though I think Brian Kelly from Notre Dame would be a nice choice, how about a College Coach that has turned a program around more than anyone ? HC David Cutcliffe from Duke has turned one of the toughest academic College's in the Country into an ACC powerhouse ! Cutliffe gets fewer scholarships than Florida St and the big schools, and you have to be seriously gifted academically to survive there.

Every off season, Peyton Manning travels to Duke to work out for Cutliffe. He is one of the best QB coaches as well, with numerous seasons as O.C.. The first thing he did @ Duke, was to have his team lose a 1K pounds and get serious in the weight room. He's a physical health nut, who won't tolerate anyone out of shape. He is also loved by all his players. Not sure if Cutliffe could be a successful NFL Coach, but he sure has worked miracles for the Duke Football program.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 11 Nov 2014 - 12:19

skop wrote:
    Seaver wrote:how would Chucky actually work?  His draft record is poor.  His QB development record is poor.  He's basically an OC much like Rex is a DC with the HC title.

Agree to disagree.

Yes Chucky is an OC at heart, but Chucky made the Bucs & Raiders better defensively because he was a complete HC that actually paid attention to the opposite side of the ball. His insights as to how he would attack "his" defense when preparing "his" defense for the upcoming offense they were playing has been chronicled...conversely, Rex made headlines for showing up to an offensive meeting. Hardly the same. if that's a rationale for not hiring, you eliminated about 100% of the coaches out there as they all have a forte', right?

Poor drafts...he won a lot of games. you tend to draft at the bottom. not a bad problem to have in my book.

you do realize he inherited a defense that had gotten to the NFC Championship with Webster as the QB? I wouldn't lay claim to Gruden making that unit better.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 17:14