Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A New Community for Jets Fans

+21
Pointdexter
lnap23
jetfandreamer
AFA2017
jamesfyo123
McJet
Sarge
cysporsche
GratefulJet
Seaver
Old#15
LIJETFAN
NickSINYC
football51
The Wicker Man
SackExchange
MachinaVerde
HYATT™
NYJETSDAN16
hobson54
Superman55
25 posters

2015 NFL Draft Thread

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

2015 NFL Draft Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: 2015 NFL Draft Thread

Post by GratefulJet Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 11:50

Sarge wrote:Winston is just a dumb ass kid from some redneck backwater of Alabama just like I was a dumb ass kid from some redneck backwater of Alabama at that age.  The only difference is his stupidity is on national display while my stupidity was known to only a select few

We didn't have to witness it to believe you, Sarge! Razz
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 12:03

IMO, there is no way Jaemis Winston returns to Florida State next season. He & his Father both feel that he will be the #1 draft choice, so why risk injury when you've already won the Heisman Trophy award, and won a National Championship ?

Also the NFL Sirius guy's think Kyle Orton QB will return to the Bills after Training Camp, and come out of retirement ?

Go Jets...Cyborg
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 12:09

Pointdexter wrote:My problem with you is that you don't just stick to the facts.  You sensationalize everything.  Hell, I will take it a step further and say you twist the facts that fit your narrative.  Case in point:

1)  Jameis gets kicked out of practice ONCE.  You say it's because he was "half-assing".  Reality is that there is nothing that backs up that narrative.  I already quoted above that Jimbo said he didn't like how Jameis was executing and most likely used it as a motivational tool for his team.  What I didn't post is how Jimbo praised Jameis for waiting for him after practice and having a discussion about the situation to get better.  You just take something so small and run with it to fit your narrative.

2.)  You say Jameis got kicked out of a pep rally.  Reality:  Jameis was walking through the student union on a normal class day and decided to jump on a table and be a college kid by yelling a popular internet meme.  I'm sure you never quoted "Jackass" or Eddie Murphy or Dave Chappelle, when you were 20yrs old, amongst friends, right?  It was slightly vulgar and a bad decision considering who he is on that campus, but hardly criminal.  Either way, it is a LONG SHOT from "getting kicked out of a pep rally".  LOL.  You stretched this one so far it is comical.

3)  In my opinion, this is the worst and boarders on slander.  You say "Jameis beats women".  That is absurdly and embarrassingly false.  You use a link of sexual assault (that he was found not guilty of) to back up your claim.  This is so wrong on so many levels.  Let's ignore that the accuser's story has more holes than swiss cheese for a second.  Let's ignore that the DA declined to even press charges in the first place.  Let's ignore that retired Supreme Court Chief Justice Major Harding found no evidence of a crime in the student code of conduct hearing.  Even with all of that you somehow turned ONE accusation from ONE woman into "Jameis beats women".  Shame on you for for so blatantly altering the truth.  He was accused of rape, not physically beating, ONE woman.  For you to so blatantly and ridiculously twist that into being a serial woman beater is sad.  Unfortunately it seems to not matter to you that, in this ONE incident, neither the state DA nor the esteemed Major Harding could find any evidence to corroborate the accuser's story.  

In short, take your agenda driven bullshit spreader somewhere else.  This board is too good, too fair, too objective, for one poster to go and ruin it.  You want to criticize Winston?  Fine.  Just stick to reality and there is certainly enough material where you shouldn't have to embellish and fabricate.

Bias one way vs bias the other way.

Im sure he did none of the above...you're probably right.   The crabs jumped in his pocket, the girl wanted it, and Jimbo kicked him out of practice just to set an example for everyone else, he did nothing wrong.  

Doesn't sound like an agenda driven FSU fan to me. Just a sweet wholesome kid being dragged down by the NCAA.  Poor guy. I stand corrected.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 12:13

Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 12:14

hobson54 wrote:point - you hearing anything on the FSU side on reports/rumors that winston may stay in school another year?

personally, i'm very leery of him, especially being thrust into the NY spotlight and being seen as the "savior" of the team.  i think the media campaign we are seeing right now in some quarters wrt marrone pales in comparison with what would happen if he got drafted by the jets.  and i'm not sold on him being a top nfl QB even disregarding all his "baggage".  so i'd be happy to see him either stay in school or be off the board by the time we pick.

It looks like coming back is a real possibility. 50/50 right now, in my opinion, I think if he does go pro he is off the board #1 when all the combine and pro days are completed. Even with FSU getting their ass kicked up and down that field, Winston showed more pro-level throws than Mariota. He was impressive throwing into the middle of the field showing timing, anticipation, and touch into very small windows. He's the goods talent-wise.

Where you make an EXCELLENT point is the Doug Marrone media fiasco. These days good journalism went out the window with the advent of the internet and it's now all about "clicks". Sensational headlines and stories get that accomplished and it would be rough for Jameis. One thing I will say about Jamies though, that's different than Johhny Manziel, is he's not a party boy. At least right now, he's not. He doesn't have the love of the club that Johnny does, whatever that's worth.

Lastly, I will admit to being closer to this situation than most. But everyone who knows Jameis, to a man, will say he's not the punk that he's made out to be. This link is just one example of the kind of guy he is that nobody sees. This is not playing it up for the cameras either. Ask any beat writer in Tallahassee and they will tell you that he takes more time for fans, especially children and special needs, than anyone. His genuine excitement for Payton and his gregarious nature is an example of why he's such a followed leader at FSU. In that way, he's kind of a complicated guy (many sides to him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ampm7Cvkc4
    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:24

Certainly it's a fluid situation and things can always change between now and 1/15, but the newest info is strongly suggesting Jameis is declaring for the draft.

He will announce his decision next week after the national title game. At that point, look for him to throw his name in the draft eligible pool.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:34

problem for Winston that he can't see yet is he won't have the protective bubble of FSU. We only know of what has gotten out........but to be as fair as I can, he's still very young and has growing up to do. Being a coddled athlete doesn't mean he's had to grow up as quickly as maybe a non-athlete at school. Entitlement is the term that scares me at this point when it comes to Winston. It would be good for him to play another season and grow up......but I don't know if the atmosphere at FSU is good for him either. Jimbo seemed to be doing everything in his power (ethical or not is up for debate) to get through the season for another shot at the title. I don't know if the FSU bubble will be as protective next year.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:38

wasn't McShay previously pissing himself in glee over Mariota?
    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 14:49

Seaver wrote:problem for Winston that he can't see yet is he won't have the protective bubble of FSU.  We only know of what has gotten out........but to be as fair as I can, he's still very young and has growing up to do.  Being a coddled athlete doesn't mean he's had to grow up as quickly as maybe a non-athlete at school.  Entitlement is the term that scares me at this point when it comes to Winston.  It would be good for him to play another season and grow up......but I don't know if the atmosphere at FSU is good for him either.  Jimbo seemed to be doing everything in his power (ethical or not is up for debate) to get through the season for another shot at the title.  I don't know if the FSU bubble will be as protective next year.

This is a very fair and accurate assessment of the situation. Immature and entitled are the two words I would use to describe Jameis this past season. In the NFL, you have to handle the game like it's a job. You've got to be a grown man. No one knows if Jameis will be ready for that level of maturity next season. That's the big gamble.

hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 15:02

Point - perhaps an unfair question, but if you can name one NFL QB (past or present) that Winston most resembles (on-field only), who would that be?
    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 15:34

hobson54 wrote:Point - perhaps an unfair question, but if you can name one NFL QB (past or present) that Winston most resembles (on-field only), who would that be?

I think it's a pretty good question. Kirk Herbstreit, on a couple occasions, compared Jameis to Ben Roethlisberger. To this point, it's the best comparison I've heard. Both are extremely big, physical guys who are tough to bring down. Big Ben is 6'5 240 and Jameis is about 6'4, 235-240. Each guy seems to carry a lot of their weight in their lower body, yet they both have surprisingly quick feet and very effective pocket escapability.

As far as throwing, I think Jameis is ahead of Ben at this point in his career, with his ability to anticipate throws and understand his pre-snap and post-snap reads. Jameis is so far ahead of EJ Manuel in this dept coming out of FSU it isn't even funny. He's the best I've seen since (at least) Chris Weinke in his command of the offense. And as an FYI, Weinke has become a very respected high school coach and QB tutor in the state of florida. If any of you have heard of IMG Academy, that is Weinke.

I'm not sure about the multiple rings but I definitely see Winston as comparable to Big Ben in the NFL with what he brings to the table.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 15:51

thanks point. i'm not sold on winston's game, although i grant i haven't watched him all too much. but if he has half as much success as big ben does in the pros, that would be a pretty good career.

of course, the cynic could note one other less than flattering commonality between winston and big ben (although ben's happened after he turned pro)...
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 15:53

Pointdexter wrote:
    hobson54 wrote:Point - perhaps an unfair question, but if you can name one NFL QB (past or present) that Winston most resembles (on-field only), who would that be?

I think it's a pretty good question.  Kirk Herbstreit, on a couple occasions, compared Jameis to Ben Roethlisberger.  To this point, it's the best comparison I've heard.  Both are extremely big, physical guys who are tough to bring down.  Big Ben is 6'5 240 and Jameis is about 6'4, 235-240.  Each guy seems to carry a lot of their weight in their lower body, yet they both have surprisingly quick feet and very effective pocket escapability.  

As far as throwing, I think Jameis is ahead of Ben at this point in his career, with his ability to anticipate throws and understand his pre-snap and post-snap reads.  Jameis is so far ahead of EJ Manuel in this dept coming out of FSU it isn't even funny.  He's the best I've seen since (at least) Chris Weinke in his command of the offense.  And as an FYI, Weinke has become a very respected high school coach and QB tutor in the state of florida. If any of you have heard of IMG Academy, that is Weinke.

I'm not sure about the multiple rings but I definitely see Winston as comparable to Big Ben in the NFL with what he brings to the table.

Well, to be fair, Weinke was what, 25 yrs old at FSU after his failed baseball career in the Blue Jays system? He had a lot going for him in terms of blocking out the trappings of being a young college kid. I can remember each year in college was like dog years.

As for the comparison......I remember Ben as a more prolific passer, albeit in the MAC. When he entered the NFL, he wasn't cut loose as he was in college.....but nowadays his game most resembles the way he played in college.

IMO, at this stage I would compare Winston more to Air McNair......another big body QB that seemingly is magical at times.......though you wouldn't necessarily think of as a polished passer. Winston has his warts, but he makes plays. He's too young/immature yet to see if he becomes a McNair, but his game reminds me of him.

Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 16:05

hobson54 wrote:thanks point.  i'm not sold on winston's game, although i grant i haven't watched him all too much. but if he has half as much success as big ben does in the pros, that would be a pretty good career.

of course, the cynic could note one other less than flattering commonality between winston and big ben (although ben's happened after he turned pro)...

I still think it's about 95% to 5% that we won't be seeing Winston in green and white so most people won't have to worry about the Jets drafting him. My biggest concern is that he represents the last chance we have to add a difference maker at QB in 2014. Plan B becomes Kirk Cousins, Sam Bradford, and Bryce Petty. And, to me, those options just don't come with the same upside.

Whoever the new GM is, he will have a tough task indentifying our franchise QB. Idzik went all in on Geno this year and it cost him his job. We are in perpetual rebuilding until we find "the guy", in my opinion.
    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 16:15

Seaver wrote:

As for the comparison......I remember Ben as a more prolific passer, albeit in the MAC.  When he entered the NFL, he wasn't cut loose as he was in college.....but nowadays his game most resembles the way he played in college.  

Big Ben's best year in college (2003): 69% completion, 4,486 yards, 37 TD's and 10 INT's

Jameis Winston's best year (2013): 67% completion, 4,076 yards, 40 TD's and 10 INT's

Amazingly similar numbers. I still think Jameis sees the field better at this point in their respective careers. No doubt Jameis has a long ways to go to reach Ben's level now though. No way to predict if he will have the same career trajectory from here.
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 17:02

Pointdexter wrote:
    Seaver wrote:

As for the comparison......I remember Ben as a more prolific passer, albeit in the MAC.  When he entered the NFL, he wasn't cut loose as he was in college.....but nowadays his game most resembles the way he played in college.  

Big Ben's best year in college (2003):  69% completion, 4,486 yards, 37 TD's and 10 INT's

Jameis Winston's best year (2013):     67% completion, 4,076 yards, 40 TD's and 10 INT's

Amazingly similar numbers.  I still think Jameis sees the field better at this point in their respective careers.  No doubt Jameis has a long ways to go to reach Ben's level now though.  No way to predict if he will have the same career trajectory from here.

you can't compare college stats.......apples and oranges considering competition, years difference. Playing today, Ben might be throwing for 5000 yards......... I loved Ben coming out of the draft as the best QB - Winston can't sniff that accolade right now. He'd be first by default.
    Pointdexter
    Navigator
    Navigator

Post by Pointdexter Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 17:20

Dorial Green-Beckham has declared himself eligible for the 2015 NFL draft. This is something that has gone under the radar today but is very significant for us. He is very much in play for us at #6. Just wait til the combine, folks. Athletically he runs circles around any WR in this draft. If his personal life is squared away he has the potential to be an AJ Green or even Calvin Johnson level add.
    Superman55
    Superman55
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by Superman55 Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 17:21

Seaver wrote:
    Pointdexter wrote:
    Seaver wrote:

Big Ben's best year in college (2003):  69% completion, 4,486 yards, 37 TD's and 10 INT's

Jameis Winston's best year (2013):     67% completion, 4,076 yards, 40 TD's and 10 INT's

Amazingly similar numbers.  I still think Jameis sees the field better at this point in their respective careers.  No doubt Jameis has a long ways to go to reach Ben's level now though.  No way to predict if he will have the same career trajectory from here.

you can't compare college stats.......apples and oranges considering competition, years difference.  Playing today, Ben might be throwing for 5000 yards.........  I loved Ben coming out of the draft as the best QB - Winston can't sniff that accolade right now. He'd be first by default.

Agreed, he would have been the 4th QB taken in that class easy.
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 17:43

The Browns own picks 12 & 19 in the first round. Hoyer QB is done, and Johnny Manziel is pushing to get released. If Winston falls to us @ 6, trade it for the Browns 12 & 19, I'd do the trade. Then draft:

12) Dorial Green-Beckham, Kevin White or DeVante Parker @ WR. We'll know who the 2nd best WR is after the Combines.

19) Melvin Gordon - RB

37) Bryce Petty QB

Go Jets...Cyborg
    cysporsche
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by cysporsche Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 17:49

Cam Newton of the Panthers. They could pass as brothers, same size / weight, talk with a slow southern draw, both from the S.E, both won the Heisman, both got busted for stealing in College, and both gifted with a ton of potential. Personally I like Cam better.

Go Jets...Cyborg
    GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Tue 6 Jan 2015 - 19:46

cysporsche wrote:The Browns own picks 12 & 19 in the first round. Hoyer QB is done, and Johnny Manziel is pushing to get released. If Winston falls to us @ 6, trade it for the Browns 12 & 19, I'd do the trade. Then draft:

12) Dorial Green-Beckham, Kevin White or DeVante Parker @ WR. We'll know who the 2nd best WR is after the Combines.

19) Melvin Gordon - RB

37) Bryce Petty QB

Go Jets...Cyborg

Where do I sign? cheers
    Seaver
    Seaver
    Pilot
    Pilot

Post by Seaver Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 10:21

cysporsche wrote:

Cam Newton of the Panthers. They could pass as brothers, same size / weight, talk with a slow southern draw, both from the S.E, both won the Heisman, both got busted for stealing in College, and both gifted with a ton of potential. Personally I like Cam better.

Go Jets...Cyborg

I want no part of Cam.......unless he is going to improve in a big way. He has bad passing mechanics - stands flat footed top pass ball......accuracy will then always be in question. He's a just a physically gifted player that STILL doesn't understand the mental aspect of playing NFL QB.
    hobson54
    Supreme Commander
    Supreme Commander

Post by hobson54 Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 10:32

GratefulJet
    GratefulJet
    Honorary Group Captain

Post by GratefulJet Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 10:41

That #6 pick is more valuable with JW in the draft than out, whether we want him or not.
    SackExchange
    SackExchange

Post by SackExchange Wed 7 Jan 2015 - 10:47

GratefulJet wrote:

That #6 pick is more valuable with JW in the draft than out, whether we want him or not.
    This.

The more big-time players in the draft, the better it is to have a high pick.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 May 2024 - 20:02